Fell in love with Barranco. Now where should I start?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Marty from Texas

Fell in love with Barranco. Now where should I start?

Postby Marty from Texas » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi,
I visited Lima a few months ago and absolutely fell in love with Barranco. I'm coming back for another look early March and would like to get some idea about cost of living, renting vs. buying, cost of DSL, etc.
I would like to sell my house here in Texas and work my business remotely for a while. Obviously, though, I'd have to have some idea about what I'd be looking at for a budget.
What do some of those older, 'fixer-upper' houses that are close to the beach in Barranco run?
Any suggestions for what I need to do in the three days I'll be there in March to help me make a decision on a move?

Marty from Texas
Facebook Profile (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile)
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Really Marty?, What are the stand out places in Barranco? i ask this because i will be living there from march until september this year and am still trying to find an apartment to rent....where are the best places in Barranco? close to Plaza Mayor or further out to the west?
Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
Marty from Texas

Postby Marty from Texas » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Actually, I had a wonderful driver who was taking me around to see the sights, so I couldn't begin to tell you exactly where we were. All I know is that Miraflores seemed a bit too much like Plano, TX, where I live right now. It's all new and shiny and expensive....no 'texture' to it. I loved the architecture and parks in Barranco and was really taken with the people strolling along and relaxing on the benches.
The reason I'm coming back in March is to see if I was just dreaming or if the place is as beautiful as I remembered, and to see if making a move would be at all feasible.
My driver's name is Manuel Pacheco, phone #973 935 62. Since he's from Lima, he might be able to help you identify specific areas in Barranco and elsewhere to live, shop, or generally have a good time. He did an amazing job of taking me to the places that were of interest to me, not just things on the standard tourist 'to-do' list. He's intelligent, well informed, and speaks near-perfect English. I'd have been happy to just sit and discuss world politics and religion with the man! I highly recommend him.
Of course, as a driver/tour guide, I didn't figure he would be the best source of info for real estate, etc. That's why I'm putting this post out there.
m
suecote
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby suecote » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:07 am

I'll contribute what I can 8)

Cost of renting: depends on how much space you need. I suggest a look at the classifieds in http://www.elcomercio.com.pe/clasificados/html/Cl-Home.html to get an idea.
Cost of living: again, how long is a piece of string. Considerably lower than the U.S., except for utilities.
Cost of internet: various packages are available. Check http://www.telefonica.com.pe, they're the biggest fone/internet provider with the greatest coverage.
What part of Barranco: As near the sea as possible. Barranco is very small, but the farther from the "downtown" you go, the less attractive. Between the Malecon and Av. Grau are the nice, colonial homes.
What to do in 3 days: wow, that's not near enough to do much more than get from the airport and back! Pick up a Sunday copy of El Comercio and start calling for viewings. The early bird catches the worm.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register