Bringing Children in on a US PASSPORT, applying for a DNI

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bringing Children in on a US PASSPORT, applying for a DNI

Postby tupacperu » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:32 pm

My two kids are Peruvian, we recenty got their DNI after entering Peru. The immigration office does not do a change of status when you arrive on a US passport, though we applied and received DNIs for both kids.

We where told we have to take the kids out of Peru (border hop), then present the DNI upon return. The bummer again, heavy rains in the north, no travel routes open. The other bummer , the kids are in school and because of the delay in schools opening they have to attend school Saturdays and Holidays to make up for lost time. Looks like it won't be until December 2017 (end of school year). About $270 a kid :shock:
Hopefully some weekend between now and end of school year, since we are in the north, we can border hop.

Anyone have a situation like this? I figured once in Peru, DNIs, the change status. But immigration says it does not work that way. There are 2 sets of book PASSPORT/DNI.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bringing Children in on a US PASSPORT, applying for a DNI

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Both my children (Peruvian born) have DNI's, Peruvian and American passports. For now all is good, but in the future will have to go to court for each of them to have the JR. removed from their last names.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 am

Change of status for what? Why do they need their status changed?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:06 am

When we arrived in 2006, both my children born in Holland, entered Peru as Peruvians, as we got a 'Laissez Passez' Peruvian passport for them in the Peruvian Consulate.
When they were born, we had registered them in the consulate, so right from the beginning they had a Peruvian birthcertificate, and the right to get a Peruvian passport / DNI.

But some other Dutch friends had their (Peruvian/Dutch) children entered as Dutch tourists, and when they years later went out of Peru with their Peruvian passports, they never had any problems.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register