My two kids are Peruvian, we recenty got their DNI after entering Peru. The immigration office does not do a change of status when you arrive on a US passport, though we applied and received DNIs for both kids.
We where told we have to take the kids out of Peru (border hop), then present the DNI upon return. The bummer again, heavy rains in the north, no travel routes open. The other bummer , the kids are in school and because of the delay in schools opening they have to attend school Saturdays and Holidays to make up for lost time. Looks like it won't be until December 2017 (end of school year). About $270 a kid
Hopefully some weekend between now and end of school year, since we are in the north, we can border hop.
Anyone have a situation like this? I figured once in Peru, DNIs, the change status. But immigration says it does not work that way. There are 2 sets of book PASSPORT/DNI.