Buying and Building in Peru Thread

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buying and Building in Peru Thread

Postby goalie3443 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm

I have been looking to buy a place in Peru and we are getting closer with kids finishing up school and planing for retirement. My wife is Peruvian and so are 2 of our kids while I am still without so much as a CE and only travel about 3 months at a time when we go. I have a bunch of questions so I figured I would try to start a thread where everyone can post Real Estate related questions and related information.

Peru from what I have experienced really does not have a system similar to the MLS listing service in the united states where anyone can get on realtor.com and search all properties available (excluding for sale by owner listings of course). Is it that most folks in Peru try to sell without the use of a Real Estate Professional? I mean I have seen ads on free classifieds but that seems quite limited in what is available. It seems to me that if you are really trying to get the best deal available that one must travel to the specific areas that interest them and simply look around for the properties with "SE VENDE" and a phone number normally spray painted on an exterior wall? Where do you guys recommend searching and how?

Also what is easier to do, buy and make changes to an existing property or start with a piece of vacant land and build what you want? Ease of doing so is what I am after....afraid of getting a property and then having the city approve changes. Is it possible as a foreigner to do some of the construction work on your own or do they require you to use certain people for the work?

I will start with that so I dont overload everyone....thank you all!

Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying and Building in Peru Thread

Postby jumpinjack » Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am

Contact member Woodchuck he is in the same boat and has been looking for a while. I am sure he can help you.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue May 16, 2017 12:05 pm

There is an MLS system here called "house on line" but it is subscription based and limited to realtors.. so working with a formal realtor gives you access to a ton of properties. Other than that, there are the online classifieds like "a donde vivir".

Regarding construction.. I know people who have built their own house (rather.. had someone build it, but they participated in the planning). It is an option, but I think you would want to be very comfortable with the system here (and the language) before launching into something like this. I sure wouldn't do it. Seems like a lot of risk, and probably a lot of time.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Glad to hear back from you guys I will try to contact woodchuck. My wife had her house built in Lima so would probably just do some of the finishing after a rough in to get exactly what we want.

I noticed that there is a REMAX Peru website but not much in the way of listings. I may contact a realtor and see what they have available.

Definitely in the early stages of planning but getting an idea of what I want to build structure wise. Finding the appropriate location may prove to be the more intensive part.

Thanks again!

And thanks to Alan and crew for getting the site back up!
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register