Dual Citizen Travelling Without A DNI

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
surfpan

Dual Citizen Travelling Without A DNI

Postby surfpan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello! I just received my nacionalidad and need to put in to start the process for getting my first DNI. I'm taking a Christmas holiday soon, but clearly won't have my DNI or Peruvian passport ready to use by then. Will I encounter any problems leaving Peru on my original nationality's passport? It notes that I was enrolled as a resident earlier this year.

Do you think I'll be asked to pay an overstay penalty? My 180 days expired long ago, but I moved onto a resident visa and then finished the citizenship process.

Thanks for any insights!

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dual Citizen Travelling Without A DNI

Postby mrsteak » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

You should check first, if you are ever allowed to leave the country. As long as you are in process of any "tramite" you may need a permit to leave the country. You should really go to migraciones to ask and then they will also clarify your doubts about which document to use to travel out. Otherwise you may be stuck in the airport and you loose your flight....
surfpan

Postby surfpan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Would that only be a problem if I began the DNI process while in Peru? I understand you can get it done at Peruvian consulates overseas.
surfpan

Postby surfpan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 am

http://busquedas.elperuano.pe/normasleg ... 1471551-2/

I believe Artículo 46 of the DECRETO LEGISLATIVO Nº 1350 does apply here.

Artículo 46º.- Del ingreso y salida de nacionales con doble o múltiple nacionalidad al territorio nacional

El nacional que posea doble o múltiple nacionalidad tiene la obligación de salir del territorio nacional con el mismo documento con el que ingresó al país.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:35 am

Yes, it has always been like this. However, if you did not finish your application process, double check whether you need any kind of permit to leave Peru. It may be required. Only migraciones can tell you.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 am

As a Peruvian you can get a quick passport in the airport, when you have proof you actually travel that day.
Being a Peruvian you must leave and enter as a Peruvian. If you want to leave as a foreigner resident you must show your CE, but when you got the Peruvian nationality you had to surrender the CE, so you are in Peru as a Peruvian, and should leave as a Peruvian. Just do the tramite for your DNI asap, and the passport you can get in the airport as a last resort.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 am

To my understanding his DNI is still in application, so he may not YET have finished obtaining the nationality. Only him and the migraciones will know.
surfpan

Postby surfpan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 am

I've not yet begun the process to receive the DNI, as my ceremony was very recent, and my flight is in 6 days.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 pm

If you don't have yet your naturalization document, and you didn't surrender yet your CE, you are still a foreigner and can leave with your CE as a foreigner. If you however have your naturalization document then I think you are out of luck if you don't have your DNI yet. You should have thought of that before. You could have NOT gone to the ceremony and still have your CE.
I think if you have your Peruvian nationality you have no other option than to get your DNI as fast as possible, and then get your Peruvian passport maybe in the airport. But I don't think they will give you a passport without a DNI. Why would a person do this actual surrendering of their CE just before they travel ???
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm

fanning wrote:If you don't have yet your naturalization document, and you didn't surrender yet your CE, you are still a foreigner and can leave with your CE as a foreigner. If you however have your naturalization document then I think you are out of luck if you don't have your DNI yet. You should have thought of that before. You could have NOT gone to the ceremony and still have your CE.

That does not sum up! He cannot be without document... he should give up his CE once he receives the DNI. I'm not sure that migraciones will have that in their system at the airport. If he received a naturalisation document this may still be "work in progress" actually, somewhere on a pile of papers. I doubt he is in the airport system as Peruvian. I would just try to leave and not tell them anything. Just show the CE and leave...
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am

I don't remember the exact process and it has probably changed since I was naturalised, but I'm pretty sure the OP will have had to turn their CE in as part of the naturalisation process. He/she is now a Peruvian - having a DNI is not part of that process, it is a separate thing you do after being naturalised. They need to get down to RENIEC asap and get a DNI. Just turning up at the airport and hoping is going to literally get them nowhere.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Before you hand over your Carnet, remember to make a NOTARIZED COPY. This is because you have likely used this ID to register for different things, such as bank accounts and other forms of membership and you may be required to show this when you go to switch over your profile information to your new ID number.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register