Why I think Peru is one of the best countries to live

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why I think Peru is one of the best countries to live

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:12 pm

gvvdsmo wrote::D I relate! We are trying also to go back. We should know this March or April. It would be nice to meet open-minded people that appreciate the luxuries we are privileged to receive when living in developing countries, that we dont get in the first world. I currently live in Toronto and am so tired to be every weekend having to clean the house instead of enjoying our time! Then the week starts, we hardly rested and off to work again...this is standard living here, I don’t want to be ungrateful since this Country has given us lots in other areas, but we are ready to go back to Lima and afford that lifestyle you mention again ;)
God bless!

And you think you will not have to clean your house every 2 days in Lima? Lima is the most dirty place I have seen. Not even when I was living close to a main road in France it was so dirty as in Lima. You will spend lot of valuable time in Lima just annoyed and stuck in the traffic jam. This is better than Toronto? You watched the wrong movie :mrgreen:

But you are right about one point: in Lima I can dump a pile of dirt in front of my house and nobody will ever complain - but this is something desirable??? :shock:

gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 pm

mrsteak wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote::D I relate! We are trying also to go back. We should know this March or April. It would be nice to meet open-minded people that appreciate the luxuries we are privileged to receive when living in developing countries, that we dont get in the first world. I currently live in Toronto and am so tired to be every weekend having to clean the house instead of enjoying our time! Then the week starts, we hardly rested and off to work again...this is standard living here, I don’t want to be ungrateful since this Country has given us lots in other areas, but we are ready to go back to Lima and afford that lifestyle you mention again ;)
God bless!

And you think you will not have to clean your house every 2 days in Lima? Lima is the most dirty place I have seen. Not even when I was living close to a main road in France it was so dirty as in Lima. You will spend lot of valuable time in Lima just annoyed and stuck in the traffic jam. This is better than Toronto? You watched the wrong movie :mrgreen:

But you are right about one point: in Lima I can dump a pile of dirt in front of my house and nobody will ever complain - but this is something desirable??? :shock:

Ive already lived in Lima, and my house got cleaned every day by cleaning ladies we are able to afford there, here we have to do it ourselves, since even time here is a luxury not many can afford. Given the busy schedules with work and with kids we have to wait until the weekend to clean!

I don’t know what neighbourhood you are living in, but in any affluent neighbourhood in Lima you will have people complaining in no time. I’m starting to realize maybe you just haven’t travelled much, thus seen many places, and your written English denotes lack of education and therefore probably means too... If you went to any poor neighbourhood in USA you would see not only dirt everywhere, but needles and other illegal drug parafernalia left behind and laying around, even at children playgrounds.

Please try to travel a bit more and explore the world, you’ll realize you are idealizing places who’s reality is probably far from what you want to believe they are. EVERY Country has Cons and Pros just focus on the positive or you’ll be a miserable person all the time.

Again if you hate Peru so much, why don’t you leave and go to your idealized Country?? It’s quite unbecoming on you to be milking off a Country you don’t appreciate or have a clue of it’s value. You’re probably just an immigrant, not an expat. Are you even legal in Peru?

May God bring love to your heart instead!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:33 pm

gvvdsmo wrote:I don’t know what neighbourhood you are living in, but in any affluent neighbourhood in Lima you will have people complaining in no time. I’m starting to realize maybe you just haven’t travelled much, thus seen many places,

your attempts to annoy me by offensive words are really futile :mrgreen:

I've been living already in 15 countries and I've left my country of origin more than 20 years ago. So believe me I really have a broad base to judge. Peru is the worst country I've been in. I've been living in the worst countries in Europe too, however I would ever consider Romania a first world country compared to Peru :mrgreen: I've spent 2 years in Brasil and it is a first world country compared to Peru. Of course if you try to live in a slum (favela) of SP you can still go down compared to living e.g. in bad districts of Surco. However SJM or Villa Maria really come very close to Brasilian slums. So tell me why I should consider a place like Lima, with 80% of the population living in such precarious conditions be a good place to live in?

All you guys have to contribute is "I had a great time here" - nice for you! However just do not try to tell an average stranger looking for maybe a retirement location or work that he will find any kind of heaven here in Peru. The numbers just do not sum up here, that's the summary.
gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

mrsteak wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:I don’t know what neighbourhood you are living in, but in any affluent neighbourhood in Lima you will have people complaining in no time. I’m starting to realize maybe you just haven’t travelled much, thus seen many places,

your attempts to annoy me by offensive words are really futile :mrgreen:

I've been living already in 15 countries and I've left my country of origin more than 20 years ago. So believe me I really have a broad base to judge. Peru is the worst country I've been in. I've been living in the worst countries in Europe too, however I would ever consider Romania a first world country compared to Peru :mrgreen: I've spent 2 years in Brasil and it is a first world country compared to Peru. Of course if you try to live in a slum (favela) of SP you can still go down compared to living e.g. in bad districts of Surco. However SJM or Villa Maria really come very close to Brasilian slums. So tell me why I should consider a place like Lima, with 80% of the population living in such precarious conditions be a good place to live in?

All you guys have to contribute is "I had a great time here" - nice for you! However just do not try to tell an average stranger looking for maybe a retirement location or work that he will find any kind of heaven here in Peru. The numbers just do not sum up here, that's the summary.

I’m being offensive? You are offending an entire nation with your derogatory comments of their Country. Any Peruvian that read them here would be deeply hurt and wouldn’t want nothing more than you to leave!

I lived and enjoyed Lima, Peru very much and don’t appreciate your statements, they are very unfortunate and demeaning to a Country that has welcomed you as a guest when you decided on your own to go live there.

WHY ARE YOU STILL LIVING THERE IF YOU FIND IT THE WORST PLACE ON EARTH????
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

eugene.in.peru wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Alan wrote:Does Google street view even register the thousands of kilometers of roads criss-crossing Peru? I have no idea but I can promise you -- speaking from personal experience traveling by car throughout Peru -- that you will find an entire network of good driveable roads, many which are paved, or at least hard packed. Are there also bad roads? Of course.. but when you say that roads outside of Lima " dusty, dirty and full of holes mule track, without asphalt." you a misleading the people who come here for honest advice. You don't like Peru... we get it, really.. but you seem to want to convince everyone else to hate it too by spreading exagerations and falsehoods.

Alan: I posted you a link, you can open it and see how the road looks like. You can post also your link showing me what road around Lima you mean? It is as simple as this - post here the street view link. And yes google cartographed all roads in Peru - everywhere where they could drive, otherwise when the road was not transitable it does not appear in google street view.

So, please post your links showing all the good main roads. Anything around Lima? I'm waiting for your link. When did you drive the last time on carretera central? I did recently and it is a mess. Of course you have some good sections but also you have sections with some 50cm deep holes (if you fall into one of them your car might be destroyed unless you have a military 4x4). Same stuff on the road to Cineguilla... so please SHOW me these good roads! I really want to drive my car somewhere but so far it is just standing around & dusty in my garage coz I cannot drive anywhere here. :twisted:

Maybe you mean Panamericana? This is the only road that I found acceptable but then you drive e.g. 50km south and you would like to get into the country's interior and there are really NO roads except dust tracks. Otherwise show me please, where I can drive to the south via Panamericana and take a good road to get into the Andes? With a normal passenger car, not a Hilux or so.

I'm in a same situation, I bought the car hoping it will free me up to explore Lima / and outside of the city more, but I end up taking Uber just the same to avoid traffic. Where to go once you have a Car?

List of places to explore around the city? Nature, water, beach, anything without Zika, trash, and hordes of people? There has to be some hidden gems?

In the city for easy access is Parque de la Amistad which is a new eco park with a small lake. I've not been to Amistad but I thought Parque Ecologico Lomo Amarilla was a really nice pleasant surprise. It's a park which is on a small steep hill with a main path leading to the top and several side paths down the steep sides. The park has signs for the different types of birds you will see and it has a nice view of the city from the top.

The lake in La Molina is always nice to visit. Plenty of ducks, geese, herons and fish that you can feed. The park isn't too big as it's surrounded on most sides by those big million dollar mansions. The neighbourhood is nice to walk around, probably even better for cycling as it's very quiet.

Parque Ecologico La Molina. I think this is only new as the bushes, trees are only small and look like they've just been planted. The whole park is basically sand but it leads up one side of the mountains in La Molina with hiking trails onto the ridges. Not a lot of nature going on really but could maybe be an interesting walk.

Park Paul Paulet in the Pachacamac valley is a very green area for hiking in.

What is the name of that little beach that is cut off from the rest of Lima by cliffs just south of Chorillos? Is it La Chira? I liked that. It's quiet and just has a couple of reastaurants on it.

Cieneguilla is reachable. I loved the views of the mountains but I wasn't overly impressed by the spot the times I've been. It just seems to come across as you sit in a giant garden of a restaurant and eat and that there isn't too much outside of the restaurants or houses that you rent other than sand. I maybe wrong but I've not seen a great deal there. The same seemed to be with Chorsica too.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 am

SilverbackPeru wrote: What is the name of that little beach that is cut off from the rest of Lima by cliffs just south of Chorillos? Is it La Chira? I liked that. It's quiet and just has a couple of reastaurants on it.

Do you mean "Playa La Herradura" ?

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=play ... 66&bih=615
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:18 pm

No it was just a tiny bay surrounded by cliffs with some restaurants just behind the cross on Chorillos hill.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:41 pm

The WOMEN are beautiful if you don't get killed/maimed or scammed.
Like everywhere in the world - you have to b very careful.
I am amazed that married women & those in their 30's, 40's, 50's have long beautiful ebony hair!
IMO, women look the best in long hair!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:In the city for easy access is Parque de la Amistad which is a new eco park with a small lake. I've not been to Amistad but I thought Parque Ecologico Lomo Amarilla was a really nice pleasant surprise. It's a park which is on a small steep hill with a main path leading to the top and several side paths down the steep sides. The park has signs for the different types of birds you will see and it has a nice view of the city from the top.

The lake in La Molina is always nice to visit. Plenty of ducks, geese, herons and fish that you can feed. The park isn't too big as it's surrounded on most sides by those big million dollar mansions. The neighbourhood is nice to walk around, probably even better for cycling as it's very quiet.

Well the recreation options in Lima are nearly 0. You forget those few parks are for a 15 million city. Now imagine what happens if 100.000 Peruvians decide to visit la Molina :?: At certain times it will take you 2 hours in traffic jam to reach la Molina from Miraflores. It is just lost life time living in Lima! Time lost for nothing!

It is what it is: an chaotic city without proper infrastructure planing. Any attempts to deny this are just lies. You cannot live well in a city in a desert that was not designed to accommodate 15m people.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm

woodchuck wrote:The WOMEN are beautiful if you don't get killed/maimed or scammed.
Like everywhere in the world - you have to b very careful.
I am amazed that married women & those in their 30's, 40's, 50's have long beautiful ebony hair!
IMO, women look the best in long hair!

some women in Peru are beautiful. But far not all. You will also find a huge portion of obese women in Peru... obese and low :shock:
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

I think it's the diet.
They eat a lot of carbs.
Of course, genetics could play a role.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

The problem is they are NOT on diet... :mrgreen: Peruvian food is very unhealthy. Just look at the people. Too much meat, too much sugars. Consequence are lot of cardiac and rheumatic diseases in Lima. Ambulance will not arrive on time btw. It is always stuck in traffic jam. So, before you decide to get a hearth attack twink it twice.
gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 pm

mrsteak wrote:The problem is they are NOT on diet... :mrgreen: Peruvian food is very unhealthy. Just look at the people. Too much meat, too much sugars. Consequence are lot of cardiac and rheumatic diseases in Lima. Ambulance will not arrive on time btw. It is always stuck in traffic jam. So, before you decide to get a hearth attack twink it twice.

Do not get me started with the obese rates and unhealthy diets in the 1st world!! Besides carbs it has LOTS of fat!! Meanwhile Peru has won 6 years in a row for best gastronomic destination!!
And ambulances don’t arrive in time either, you should read about the fentanyl epidemic, drug users are dying before paramedics are able to get to site...
Go visit Japan, South Korea, (very advanced societies in your book) and you will see what traffic jams and crowded spaces really are!!! Or even closer New York City, go drive there!!!

Why don’t you answer why are you still in Lima?? Get out of there!! You are an unwelcomed guest!!
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 am

I just came across this:
http://www.slice.ca/money/photos/20-che ... ent_Spots_

The information used to come up with this opinion is from this:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Lima

It's cool to see that others than those of us, who have a vested interest in Lima, believe it to be a city where individual could retire to!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 am

Ron wrote:I just came across this:

It's cool to see that others than those of us, who have a vested interest in Lima, believe it to be a city where individual could retire to!

Mmmmmm there's quite a lot of bull on that first link. It's probably just one of those click bate sites that just sprawn out random facts without anyone in the office ever actually being to the countries on the list. It states rents from $366 to $620. A large room usually rents out at $300 to $450 a month in the modern neighbourhoods of Lima so not sure where they are getting the prices from for the $366 rent for a home. A simple search on Urbania.pe will show you proper prices.

The second link only enforces what is wrong with Lima. It states it ranks at 427th out of 544 cities and has a cost living index of 42.77. It states a four person family needs £1287 (not including rent) to survive in Lima and a single person needs £359 (not including rent), that's pounds not dollars!. I think the prices are kinda wrong but it doesn't enforce the view that Lima's a cheap place.
The list compares things like market food and gyms, but you can't compare these prices as when you go to a poorer country the quality of each of those things decline a lot. Some market food in Peru can be good, but a lot of it can very poor. The gym price you can't compare either as i've checked out a lot of gyms and most gyms in Lima are rust buckets where most things rarely work properly.

Lima is probably great to retire but if you are on a local wage it isn't. A good job will generally only bring you in around $1000 if you are lucky, most jobs bring in $500 and it probably explains why Lima ranks 427th!
gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:

Mmmmmm there's quite a lot of bull on that first link. It's probably just one of those click bate sites that just sprawn out random facts without anyone in the office ever actually being to the countries on the list. It states rents from $366 to $620. A large room usually rents out at $300 to $450 a month in the modern neighbourhoods of Lima so not sure where they are getting the prices from for the $366 rent for a home. A simple search on Urbania.pe will show you proper prices.

The second link only enforces what is wrong with Lima. It states it ranks at 427th out of 544 cities and has a cost living index of 42.77. It states a four person family needs £1287 (not including rent) to survive in Lima and a single person needs £359 (not including rent), that's pounds not dollars!. I think the prices are kinda wrong but it doesn't enforce the view that Lima's a cheap place.
The list compares things like market food and gyms, but you can't compare these prices as when you go to a poorer country the quality of each of those things decline a lot. Some market food in Peru can be good, but a lot of it can very poor. The gym price you can't compare either as i've checked out a lot of gyms and most gyms in Lima are rust buckets where most things rarely work properly.

Lima is probably great to retire but if you are on a local wage it isn't. A good job will generally only bring you in around $1000 if you are lucky, most jobs bring in $500 and it probably explains why Lima ranks 427th!

Regarding rents it’s true, not that cheap, but for $1000 a month you can actually get a 3 bedroom apartment of 150 sq mts aprox in a very good neighbourhood, which is very good compared to the sizes in the US, also I have Peruvian friends that have very good jobs and have salaries ranging from USD5000 up to 15,000 net per month in average, and company owners are very wealthy families with a lifestyle we can only dream in the more developed Countries. It all depends on your credentials and local contacts to be able to get into the elite circles...
Regarding gyms I can recommend you Sportlife in Chacarilla or San Isidro (affluent neighbourhoods), if you can’t afford any club membership, which is where the wealthy nationals prefer to go exercise.
You really need to explore and work your way into its society to actually experience the privileges of that Country to its fullest. They are very protective though, specially if you’re a foreigner.
Good luck!
Last edited by gvvdsmo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am

mrsteak wrote:The problem is they are NOT on diet... :mrgreen: Peruvian food is very unhealthy. Just look at the people. Too much meat, too much sugars. Consequence are lot of cardiac and rheumatic diseases in Lima. Ambulance will not arrive on time btw. It is always stuck in traffic jam. So, before you decide to get a hearth attack twink it twice.

You can't blame a lot of the population for being over weight in Peru, it's usually those from a poor back ground and they have to eat cheaply which is going to be the rice, potato's, pasta and bread (too much meat? you must have stayed in a different part of Peru to me!). I've been there done that and it's no fun. All those carbs end up around your middle and you have a bloated stomach and it doesn't matter how much walking you do you won't shift it!

The worst thing about that diet is just how ill you can become, you are always in a constant state of exhaustion and your body never heals itself properly. It doesn't matter how much rice or potato you eat, your belly might be full but you body is still craving for proper nutrition. Then there's the depression and mood swings on top of that come from a constant state of being hungry. I've ended up yelling at people on several occasions just out of anger from being hungry.

I wouldn't be so judgemental until you've walked a mile in those peoples shoes, it is no fun believe me!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 am

gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

Regarding rents it’s true, not that cheap, but for $1000 a month you can actually get a 3 bedroom apartment of 150 sq mts aprox in a very good neighbourhood, which is very good compared to the sizes in the US, also I have Peruvian friends that have very good jobs and have salaries ranging from USD5000 up to 15,000 net per month in average, and company owners are very wealthy families with a lifestyle we can only dream in the more developed Countries. It all depends on your credentials and local contacts to be able to get into the elite circles...
Regarding gyms I can recommend you Sportlife in Chacarilla or San Isidro (affluent neighbourhoods), if you can’t afford any club membership, which is where the wealthy nationals prefer to go exercise.
You really need to explore and work your way into its society to actually experience the privileges of that Country to its fullest. They are very protective though, specially if you’re a foreigner.
Good luck!

Yeah when I first arrived and when I had savings I went to sports life and it was $1000 for the year, but I just can't afford that. It's like saying a good three bedroom apartment for $1000 a month is great compared to the United States and it is, but most people don't even come remotely close to making that sort of income. The average household in Lima is $700 and that doesn't get you a great deal here. My wage wasn't even anywhere near a third of that apartment price in Lima per month, but I don't have any qualifications so that's my problem. Even then a Bachelors degree might only see you bring in $1000 anyway.

The problem is Lima is two different worlds, one rich(I know as I've married into one of those families)one poor and it's an extremely thin line between them and you can find yourself dropping the high end of living to the bottom end of living very very quickly if you have bad luck. I kinda think it's best to air on the side of negative caution than to overly state the positives on here because if someone reads these threads and thinks they are in the easy life they could be in for a real shock. If you move here you have to seriously consider how you are not only going to survive but also pay for your children's education, create a retirement fund and pay for medical expenses.
gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

Good luck!

Yeah when I first arrived and when I had savings I went to sports life and it was $1000 for the year, but I just can't afford that. It's like saying a good three bedroom apartment for $1000 a month is great compared to the United States and it is, but most people don't even come remotely close to making that sort of income. The average household in Lima is $700 and that doesn't get you a great deal here. My wage wasn't even anywhere near a third of that apartment price in Lima per month, but I don't have any qualifications so that's my problem. Even then a Bachelors degree might only see you bring in $1000 anyway.

The problem is Lima is two different worlds, one rich(I know as I've married into one of those families)one poor and it's an extremely thin line between them and you can find yourself dropping the high end of living to the bottom end of living very very quickly if you have bad luck. I kinda think it's best to air on the side of negative caution than to overly state the positives on here because if someone reads these threads and thinks they are in the easy life they could be in for a real shock. If you move here you have to seriously consider how you are not only going to survive but also pay for your children's education, create a retirement fund and pay for medical expenses.

I totally agree! Lima is great for expats (meaning executives relocated by their companies), business owners expanding, or retirees that already have a decent monthly pension in USD. Not easy for those looking for jobs or to make a living (as in any country you’re an immigrant) more so without university degrees, with a local bachelors indeed you start earning usd $1000 but will eventually end up earning more as you progress in your career, with a bachelors from abroad (US, Canada, Europe) you can start earning double or even more on higher positions and take it from there. Blessings on your endeavours in Lima!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am

gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

Good luck!

I totally agree! Lima is great for expats (meaning executives relocated by their companies), business owners expanding, or retirees that already have a decent monthly pension in USD. Not easy for those looking for jobs or to make a living (as in any country you’re an immigrant) more so without university degrees, with a local bachelors indeed you start earning usd $1000 but will eventually end up earning more as you progress in your career, with a bachelors from abroad (US, Canada, Europe) you can start earning double or even more on higher positions and take it from there. Blessings on your endeavours in Lima!

Thanks! :) I'm judt going to ahve to return to Lima with a better plan and a lot of savi gs and see what i can achieve!
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am

gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks for your response, but I believe your are interpreting the ranking incorrectly. Lima being ranked 427th in the cost of living index means that it is cheaper to live, on average, than the first 426 cities on the list. Number one on the list means that it has the highest cost of living and thus the least affordable city to live in.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Ron wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:
gvvdsmo wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks for your response, but I believe your are interpreting the ranking incorrectly. Lima being ranked 427th in the cost of living index means that it is cheaper to live, on average, than the first 426 cities on the list. Number one on the list means that it has the highest cost of living and thus the least affordable city to live in.

Thanks Ron, you are indeed right about the listing. I still think the problem with Lima is that even if it works out cheaper for other things it doesn't matter when you compare income against standard of living. A good way to figure out if somewhere is good to live is to measure the disposible cash a family has per month against the cost of living.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 am

gvvdsmo wrote:Regarding rents it’s true, not that cheap, but for $1000 a month you can actually get a 3 bedroom apartment of 150 sq mts aprox in a very good neighbourhood, which is very good compared to the sizes in the US, also I have Peruvian friends that have very good jobs and have salaries ranging from USD5000 up to 15,000 net per month in average, and company owners are very wealthy families with a lifestyle we can only dream in the more developed Countries

that must be a lie. According to some SUNAT statistics I've read last year only around 500 Peruvians figured 2016 in Lima with wages over 10.000 USD... so just wondering about where you get these numbers.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:

You can't blame a lot of the population for being over weight in Peru, it's usually those from a poor back ground and they have to eat cheaply which is going to be the rice, potato's, pasta and bread (too much meat? you must have stayed in a different part of Peru to me!). I've been there done that and it's no fun. All those carbs end up around your middle and you have a bloated stomach and it doesn't matter how much walking you do you won't shift it!

you do NOT need to be fat in Lima. It is just lack of education (how, when and what to eat) and lack of options for physical exercise in Lima. If your food is good you should not be fat - it is as simple as this. Same as if your bed is good you should be sleeping well and not wake up every morning with pain. Believe me the world is simpler as you think.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Thanks! :) I'm judt going to ahve to return to Lima with a better plan and a lot of savi gs and see what i can achieve!

your savings will be spent on bribes to achieve the achievements.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:00 am

A good address is the previously mentioned numbeo.

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/ ... untry=Peru

As you see mostly all quality of life marks are negative in Peru. Yeah you have the climate but is it really good in Lima? Take the cost of living and climate with care, coz it is even an averaged over all Peru. And take into account that as foreigner you will not like to live in an average district of Lima, that will put your prices far higher than the average. So, in fact for a foreigner living in Peru expecting some acceptable standard of living the numbeo marks shoudl rather read as:

Purchasing Power Index 37.49 Very Low
    Safety Index 35.72 Low
    Health Care Index 55.70 Moderate
    Climate Index 97.62 Moderate
    Cost of Living Index 39.26 High
    Property Price to Income Ratio 19.01 Very High
    Traffic Commute Time Index 41.52 Moderate
    Pollution Index 83.63 Very High

so you basically get virtually everything on the negative side.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 am

mrsteak wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

you do NOT need to be fat in Lima. It is just lack of education (how, when and what to eat) and lack of options for physical exercise in Lima. If your food is good you should not be fat - it is as simple as this. Same as if your bed is good you should be sleeping well and not wake up every morning with pain. Believe me the world is simpler as you think.

Nope I strongly disagree there. If you are on a limited income then you will be mostly eating the cheapest and most filling of foods and that is going to be rice, potato's and bread.
It's the same anywhere in the world, the poorer of society usually have the worst diets. Good food usually costs a bit more and that will be a luxury item if you are strapped for cash as much as the lower classes are here. I don't think their genes help much either.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Nope I strongly disagree there. If you are on a limited income then you will be mostly eating the cheapest and most filling of foods and that is going to be rice, potato's and bread.
It's the same anywhere in the world, the poorer of society usually have the worst diets. Good food usually costs a bit more and that will be a luxury item if you are strapped for cash as much as the lower classes are here. I don't think their genes help much either.

However this contradicts the other people here claiming that Peru has great food.... great? maybe for 5% of the population?

What you say may be true, however even if you are on the cheapest food what really makes you fat is lack of physical activity, believe me. You can eat the bad food but still keep you calories in an acceptable range and burn the excess energy doing sports. You can, in a normal country, not in Peru.
gvvdsmo

Postby gvvdsmo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 pm

mrsteak wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

So the USA must be the most uneducated country in the world given they have the highest obese population of the world!

I feel sorry that you obviously haven’t been able to reach the lifestyle the wealthy circles have in that Country, and probably never will, just by reading your comments it’s very evident. If only 500 people had those salaries the private schools that cost up to $15,000 a year per child (not considering the admission fee that can cost an additional $15,000) would be in bankruptcy by now!! However reality is they’ve been around for decades!! You only know the lower end of Peru!! I believe you are an uneducated individual that milks of a Country you only describe derogatorily, seem very miserable living in it, however won’t leave!! Thus your comments have NO credibility.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 pm

HI all..

This thread is going nowhere fast so will be locked.

alan

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register