Unaccompanied minors traveling

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
marciafaby

Unaccompanied minors traveling

Postby marciafaby » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:35 pm

I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Unaccompanied minors traveling

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm

marciafaby wrote:I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me. What part of do you not understand?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Also check the unaccompanied minor policy of your airline as it normally requires a direct flight?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:55 am

Alpineprince wrote:Also check the unaccompanied minor policy of your airline as it normally requires a direct flight?

The OP didn't say anything about it not being a direct flight.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 pm

marciafaby wrote:I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

It is a good question. His migratory record will prove that he lives abroad and has come for a visit (as opposed to a Pervian bi-national resident who can flash an American passport).

What about on the US side? Don't they require a notarized permission form for the child to leave the country? If so, just make an extra few copies.

If you learn more about this, please share.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register