Shipping 40 ft container of household furniture from the USA

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
El Gringo

Shipping 40 ft container of household furniture from the USA

Postby El Gringo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:20 am

Buenos Dias Amigos, I am shipping our personal household furniture from Miami to Peru in a 40 ft container. Our home is in Northern Peru and Paita is the closest port. Everything in the states arranged quickly with the shipper and the container to send the container. Now comes the Peruvian Gauntlet.

The Peruvian government has a special "Ley de Returno" which says if a Peruvian citizen is returning to Peru they may send their personal (Used) belongings to Peru and pay no import tax. The shipment will be done in my Peruvian citizen wife name and number.

Here are the problems:
First I will need a Port Agent to receive the container. I can't seem to connect with one in Paita :-(

Second The Miami shipping agent has just told me that personal household containers can not go to Paita. He said the Peruvian law is that personal household must be received in Callao. Apparently if the container was for commercial purposes it could go direct to Paita.

Please respond if you have experience with this or if you can recommend a shipping agent in Peru to process the delivery.

Than You

FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shipping 40 ft container of household furniture from the USA

Postby FDiH » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:51 pm

You'll need a customs agent to clear your container + organize offloading + transport to the port warehouse. They can probably also assist you with transferring the load into a truck or transport the container to your house for offloading.

I check with our shipping agent, IFS but they cannot do. They advised me to contact: FDL International Cargo, Juana Silva, 073-516496 - 53152 / +51947623778

If unsuccessful, have a look here for a full list of customs agents in Peru: http://www.apam-peru.com/OPERADORES%20D ... ADUANA.xls.
These are BASC certified companies (trustworthy): https://www.bascperu.org/pdf/principale ... 8.xlsx.pdf

Good luck!
El Gringo

Postby El Gringo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you for taking the time to not only answer but also to contact your agent AND get referrals! We truly appreciate you sound efforts. Since my post I did finally get in contact with an agent but am unsure just how much experience they have with household goods.

It sounds like you have been down this trail yourself, any guidance you can provide is appreciated. One question I have not received an answer to (that I am confident in) is regarding our friends at SUNAT. I have been told that there is no import tax on USED household goods for your personal residence. Furthermore there is a law "Ley de Returno" that applies to a Peruvian citizen who is returning to Peru from abroad and they may bring these USED household goods into Peru without an import tax if they are to be used in their personal residence. I was also told that there is a form that a person needs to get from the Peruvian Consulate in the States,to be filled out before the container leaves the USA that aligns the shipment with the "Ley de Returno". Of course my wife who is a Peruvian citizen is afraid this form will in someway impact her Green card etc.! Any experience with this?

Thanks,
El Gringo
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:26 am

You're welcome, My company exports, so we have a lot of experience with freight agents, customs agents etc. I do not however have experience with importing household goods, but I am sure a good customs agent can give you all the advice you need. Just in case I would call SUNAT in Callao to double check and ask them if there are any official publications regarding returning Peruvians bringing household goods. A lot of times it seems that one officials says A and another says B. Better to have the official publication in case of any confusion.
kimsnyder

Postby kimsnyder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 pm

El Gringo wrote:Buenos Dias Amigos, I am shipping our personal household furniture from Miami to Peru in a 40 ft container. Our home is in Northern Peru and Paita is the closest port. Everything in the states arranged quickly with the shipper and the container to send the container. Now comes the Peruvian Gauntlet. google street view

The Peruvian government has a special "Ley de Returno" which says if a Peruvian citizen is returning to Peru they may send their personal (Used) belongings to Peru and pay no import tax. The shipment will be done in my Peruvian citizen wife name and number.

Here are the problems:
First I will need a Port Agent to receive the container. I can't seem to connect with one in Paita :-(

Second The Miami shipping agent has just told me that personal household containers can not go to Paita. He said the Peruvian law is that personal household must be received in Callao. Apparently if the container was for commercial purposes it could go direct to Paita.

Please respond if you have experience with this or if you can recommend a shipping agent in Peru to process the delivery.

Than You

Hubby did this from the US to here. He went through an international moving company, they came into the house and packed up everything he was bringing, including a bed. They arranged everything from the packing to the delivery at the other end. It may have been a bit more expensive than organising everything yourself but it sure was a lot less stress. Keep in mind you'll also be without your stuff for up to a couple of months depending on how dates line up etc.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:35 am

From my nightmare trying to import CBD oil for my personal medical conditions, IMO, Peru enjoys making any routine process a major logistical issue & charging outrageous fees at will.
Just assume the worst & you will not be frustrated.
Sorry to have to provide you "bad news" but BEST WISHES for your new life in Peru.
Donnie123

Postby Donnie123 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:06 pm

HI. I want to do the same. maybe the law have changed,because in the ley de retorno, says also that professionals can shipping to Peru without taxes. you have to remember I read too that: the beneficent have no go out of Peru about 2 years. only go out by 1 month.(as tourist) but the beneficent can not make residence in other country by 2 or 3 year also, he/she can not sell it.

Also i want to ship my car.

I Want to know how it was
price?
delivery company?
the taxes avoid process
cost of agent of aduanas

I have mi friend he works in Callao, he said to me free or low cost : just give me a beer and a food(he is mi friend) so it will be a lees problems,
the problem with him is that he doesn't know about out side Peru he only know about inside Peru. So if someone know information to do inside of USA until the container is shipping

thank you
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm

The one big advice I give to anyone planning to use the "ley de retorno" is to be sure to get the approval forms completed BEFORE the container arrives in Peru, and preferably before it even leaves the originating port.

Otherwise you have the possibility of the shipment arriving and then having to pay storage fees which can rapidly become more expensive than the contents of your container.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register