Tacna

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tacna

Postby billybob72 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:25 am

What do you think of it down there? Is this a place where expats could settle? Prices of property must be more reasonable than Lima! :shock:

I have scoured the forums for information and there seems to be very little information about the place, or online to be honest.

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tacna

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 am

Hello,

Tacna has made a lot of improvement the last 20 years ago. Even though I have not visited the City a long time ago, it is well known that thousands and thousands of Chileans visit the City because of the Cheap and Good Quality Food and Medical Services .

Some of them are living there with their Pension obtained from Arica
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

windsportinperu wrote:Hello,

Tacna has made a lot of improvement the last 20 years ago. Even though I have not visited the City a long time ago, it is well known that thousands and thousands of Chileans visit the City because of the Cheap and Good Quality Food and Medical Services .

Some of them are living there with their Pension obtained from Arica

Indeed! I watched a few documentaries about the Chilean pensioners living the good life in Tacna! They seemed happy for sure. :D
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks for opening this thread. Interesting!

What I remember about my visit there was the heat! I can't remember the month, but the experience is burned (haha) into my memory. It's a very arid zone with lot's of commerce and clinics and such, though. They have recently made some legal changes that have removed some of the old restrictions on international investment. (these were old rules left over from a century ago).
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:07 am

Alan wrote:Thanks for opening this thread. Interesting!

What I remember about my visit there was the heat! I can't remember the month, but the experience is burned (haha) into my memory. It's a very arid zone with lot's of commerce and clinics and such, though. They have recently made some legal changes that have removed some of the old restrictions on international investment. (these were old rules left over from a century ago).

My mum's ancestors come from there - it interests me (apart from the family connection...) because you have an interesting and lively hub but it is half an hour away from the beach (albeit in Arica...) as well as - I am sure - all the shops, restaurants etc catering to the Chileans - though I don't think Chilean food is a patch on Peruvian grub - their empanadas are far superior! :lol: There must be one or two good Chilean empanada shops in and around Tacna!
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:27 am

billybob72 wrote:
Alan wrote:Thanks for opening this thread. Interesting!

My mum's ancestors come from there - it interests me (apart from the family connection...) because you have an interesting and lively hub but it is half an hour away from the beach (albeit in Arica...) as well as - I am sure - all the shops, restaurants etc catering to the Chileans - though I don't think Chilean food is a patch on Peruvian grub - their empanadas are far superior! :lol: There must be one or two good Chilean empanada shops in and around Tacna!

Chilean empanadas are world class. It puts others to shame.
Here's a good recipe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mO628aFmGg
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:
billybob72 wrote:Chilean empanadas are world class. It puts others to shame.
Here's a good recipe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mO628aFmGg

Second only to Buenos Aires empanadas from Parrilla Pena!
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:42 pm

I was there last month and really enjoyed it. Good food, reasonable prices, much cleaner than Lima. Close to Moquegua (sunny year-round), Ilo (great seafood) and Arica. Yeah, lots of Chileans coming to shop, get dental work, new glasses, etc. Besides that, a lot of cheap imports because of the port and the zona franca.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register