90 days only for tourists now?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

90 days only for tourists now?

Postby rudder » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 am

I just got to Peru. The migraciones guy who stamped my passport said that 90 days is now the maximum they’re allowed to stamp. Messed up my plans. I’m pissed. Now what?

Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 90 days only for tourists now?

Postby rudder » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:24 am

rudder wrote:I just got to Peru. The migraciones guy who stamped my passport said that 90 days is now the maximum they’re allowed to stamp. Messed up my plans. I’m pissed. Now what?

I even had my Peruvian wife with me and we both showed our return itinerary. I’m not sure I can get residency, because there’s probably a bunch of documents I should’ve gotten already from the USA. Also, if I’m just going home in March and working at a job in the USA for another year, then I’m guessing I’ll be ineligible and the residency will be revoked.
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 am

rudder wrote:I just got to Peru. The migraciones guy who stamped my passport said that 90 days is now the maximum they’re allowed to stamp. Messed up my plans. I’m pissed. Now what?

Uhhhh.....Gee, just a wild guess? Go back home?
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:32 pm

That sucks. You might have already found this but if not, check it out: https://www.perutelegraph.com/peru-information/legal-stuff/tourist-visa-extension-in-peru

Try going to Migraciones in person and request a visa extension anyway. Looks like you can't do a visa run either, so it might be your only option. If it's absolutely necessary that you stay, maybe just pay the fine at the end? I have no experience or knowledge about how that works so make sure you do your research.
glegrand
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby glegrand » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:36 am

Hmmm... This messed my friend up too. He’s working on an extension but it’s kind of complicated. I’ll let you know if he gets the extension and how he did it.
6672Kevin

Postby 6672Kevin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:51 am

carloso wrote:That sucks. You might have already found this but if not, check it out: https://www.perutelegraph.com/peru-information/legal-stuff/tourist-visa-extension-in-peru

Try going to Migraciones in person and request a visa extension anyway. Looks like you can't do a visa run either, so it might be your only option. If it's absolutely necessary that you stay, maybe just pay the fine at the end? I have no experience or knowledge about how that works so make sure you do your research.

Hello, just curious, how long is the extension ?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm

6672Kevin wrote:
carloso wrote:That sucks. You might have already found this but if not, check it out: https://www.perutelegraph.com/peru-information/legal-stuff/tourist-visa-extension-in-peru

Hello, just curious, how long is the extension ?

You can extend for up to 180 days, total.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 am

Is there any legitimate reason why tourists are only now allowed 90 days?
I would imagine that allowing tourists to stay longer than 90 days would be good for the economy.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 am

woodchuck wrote:Is there any legitimate reason why tourists are only now allowed 90 days?
I would imagine that allowing tourists to stay longer than 90 days would be good for the economy.

To discourage squatters.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 am

woodchuck wrote:Is there any legitimate reason why tourists are only now allowed 90 days?

I doubt any legitimate tourist needs to stay much longer than 30 days let alone 90 or even 180 days. Doesn't he have a job back home to go back to? If there were no limits on stays, that would be an invitation to any ne'er-do-well to come into the country and squat or hide out with little documentation, I doubt they would be contributing much to the Peruvian economy.
Tourists are allowed certain privileges such as no tax on hotel stays. Should that be for unlimited tourist stays? That certainly would not be contributing to the economy.
Folks with legitimate reasons to stay in Peru are offered visas. Work, Rentista, Marriage, etc. There is no need for unlimited tourist stays with these easy to obtain visas. A country needs to know who is coming to their country. Will they be able to support themselves? Will they contribute? Do they have a criminal record?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register