Page 1 of 1

The price of beer?

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 am
by woodchuck
I went to the store to pick up a few cases of beer for the holiday season.
I was shocked at the prices, almost 30% more than last year at this time.
What caused such a drastic increase - ingredients, taxes, etc.?

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:59 am
by Alan
That's a great question. I had not noticed the increase. Maybe something to do with abusing the monopoly the beer company has? I remember that sin taxes were raised when PPK was elected, but that was two years ago.

I wonder why more people don't engage in home brewing here.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 am
by Formidable 1
Here's a good read on the Peru beer market...

https://www.flandersinvestmentandtrade. ... u-2018.pdf

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 am
by woodchuck
Yes, a great read of over 40 pages.
I was not aware of the beer monopoly in Peru.
" With a market
share of 95%, the monopoly clearly lies with Backus brewery in this country (Peru)"
Alan, that's the problem with monopolies, they can raise prices almost at will.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 am
by Wiracocha
G'day Woody,
While I can't comment on the prices of cases of beer, I can comment on individual bottle prices.
I buy my favourite Cusquena Negra & Trigo 620ml bottles from the local bodega. It is now S/6 per bottle, when I exchange the empties for the new.
That to me is dirt cheap at US$1.80 per bottle.
Being an Aussie, I love my beer and am happy with that price....costs a few dollars back home per large bottle.
Cheers,
W

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm
by 69roadrunner
Wiracocha wrote:G'day Woody,
While I can't comment on the prices of cases of beer, I can comment on individual bottle prices.
I buy my favourite Cusquena Negra & Trigo 620ml bottles from the local bodega. It is now S/6 per bottle, when I exchange the empties for the new.
That to me is dirt cheap at US$1.80 per bottle.
Being an Aussie, I love my beer and am happy with that price....costs a few dollars back home per large bottle.
Cheers,
W

One can buy a 6 pack for 24 soles at Metro, which is the same price per ml as your bodega beer, and you don't have to lug around empty bottles or end up with flat beer and/or back wash at the end of the bottle.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 pm
by Alan
woodchuck wrote:Yes, a great read of over 40 pages.
I was not aware of the beer monopoly in Peru.
" With a market
share of 95%, the monopoly clearly lies with Backus brewery in this country (Peru)"
Alan, that's the problem with monopolies, they can raise prices almost at will.


And the same company that owns Backus has just bought Barbarian, a successful craft beer start up. Barbarian was smart; they made beer and then opened bars to sell the stuff.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:08 pm
by woodchuck
I agree Alan, that is a great idea but requires a lot of investment in real estate locations.
Based on the significant increase in beer prices (30%+) in the last 12 months, these beer monopolies in Peru are not benefiting the average consumer, only the corporate balance sheet - scary.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am
by samthesham
Peruvians are too set in their ways to try something different.
Why take a chance on an import or craft beer that costs more when they can have something familiar at a lesser price?

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 am
by windsportinperu
For those who likes Ceviche and Beer at the same time, the recommended place is CeviChela.

It is a Restaurant and a Craft Beer place at the same time. These guys are making such a great beer and such a fantastic Ceviche among others dishes as Arroz con Mariscos

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm
by woodchuck
Thanks for the recommendation Windsport.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am
by glegrand
I hope the monopoly won’t ruin the beer for us. If they’ll mess with price I hope they won’t mess with the product.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 am
by Alan
Any thoughts on Tres Cruces beer? It's less expensive than Pilsen or Cusqueña. I bought a six pack the other day and was pleasantly surprised.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:12 pm
by Wiracocha
Well Alan,
As we used to say back in Oz, "all beer is good, it's just that some taste better than others". But it's gotta be at 3 or 4 C....not like the Poms and Kiwis who have many types of beer at room temperature !! :-0
Cheers,
Aussie W.

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am
by Formidable 1
Wiracocha wrote:Well Alan,
As we used to say back in Oz, "all beer is good, it's just that some taste better than others". But it's gotta be at 3 or 4 C....not like the Poms and Kiwis who have many types of beer at room temperature !! :-0
Cheers,
Aussie W.


G'day!

Depends on the type of beer.
Dark beers, such as brown ales, stouts, porters, or old ales are at their best when served at room temperature.
Higher alcohol beers, such as doppel bocks and barley wines, also benefit from the warmer temperature.

Cheers!

Re: The price of beer?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:22 pm
by eugene.in.peru
what is missing in Peru is good selection of Draft IPAs or just any kind of draft beer that is not a Crystal pissner. I miss good old Californian brands like sierra nevada ice cold draft. I'm just going back to drinking vodka.. :oops: