Stuck in the Visa Process (to the US) for my Peruvian Husband

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jlu

Stuck in the Visa Process (to the US) for my Peruvian Husband

Postby Jlu » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:41 am

Dear Expats ,
I was married to my Peruvian in August and was able to file for his US Visa (I-130) in Lima because I am a resident in Peru. The process was incredibly fast! In four weeks the petition was approved. He received his case number three weeks later. We were cruising doing his paperwork online, went through the visa application and the DS-260 completed. UNTIL we needed to send supporting documents (financial evidence, police reports) to the NVC and I sent it to the US because the evidence had to be in one packet and I couldn't find anywhere online to upload these documents. 8 weeks later, the US NVC said, wrong place... try the US embassy in Lima. The Visa Unit doesn't have an operator to talk to. I've emailed them and they said just make an interview appointment... and I said but my supporting documents have NOT been submitted.
Does Anyone have any similar situation or advice if we should just make an interview appointment without submitting these supporting documents?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

J

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stuck in the Visa Process (to the US) for my Peruvian Husband

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:29 am

Jlu wrote:Dear Expats ,
I've emailed them and they said just make an interview appointment...

What part of "make an interview appointment" do you not understand?
Jlu

Postby Jlu » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks for your assistance.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am

Similar experience here. In my case the way I read it is I have to wait for the NVC to give me the appointment.
MEStout

Postby MEStout » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 am

Jlu wrote:Dear Expats ,
I was married to my Peruvian in August and was able to file for his US Visa (I-130) in Lima because I am a resident in Peru. The process was incredibly fast! In four weeks the petition was approved. He received his case number three weeks later. We were cruising doing his paperwork online, went through the visa application and the DS-260 completed. UNTIL we needed to send supporting documents (financial evidence, police reports) to the NVC and I sent it to the US because the evidence had to be in one packet and I couldn't find anywhere online to upload these documents. 8 weeks later, the US NVC said, wrong place... try the US embassy in Lima. The Visa Unit doesn't have an operator to talk to. I've emailed them and they said just make an interview appointment... and I said but my supporting documents have NOT been submitted.
Does Anyone have any similar situation or advice if we should just make an interview appointment without submitting these supporting documents?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

J

I'm glad to hear you are further along than we are. We can't register using either of my wife's emails for an interview. I've sent emails to [email protected], get responses with links that don't work. We are going in circles. I've had phone conversations with folks at the embassy, but again, they send us down a path which never yields results.

Do you have any suggestions?

Mike
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:58 pm

After writing NVC and the Lima embassy asking for help, The embassy quickly responded and informed my Wife of her interview next month! I do not know if everyone is aware but USCIS is closing their office at the Embassy as of this Friday! Good luck to all.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:52 pm

Alpineprince wrote:After writing NVC and the Lima embassy asking for help, The embassy quickly responded and informed my Wife of her interview next month! I do not know if everyone is aware but USCIS is closing their office at the Embassy as of this Friday! Good luck to all.

Wait, what? Why? For how long?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:31 pm

carloso wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:After writing NVC and the Lima embassy asking for help, The embassy quickly responded and informed my Wife of her interview next month! I do not know if everyone is aware but USCIS is closing their office at the Embassy as of this Friday! Good luck to all.

Wait, what? Why? For how long?

Permanently, I suppose?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Yup.

As of Feb. 1, 2020, USCIS will no longer accept and adjudicate routine Form I-130 petitions at its remaining international field offices. Petitioners residing overseas who are unable to file with DOS must file Form I-130 by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Dallas or online using the USCIS website.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:30 am

Oof. What about interviews and stuff? For immigration, not tourist visas. I had my interview in September and I'm about to file an I-601. Presumably, I would need to have another interview after the I-601 goes through. I thought it was USCIS that handled green cards.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:02 am

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 pm

We have a interview set up for next week, so that appears to be normal.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm

carloso wrote:Oof. What about interviews and stuff? For immigration, not tourist visas. I had my interview in September and I'm about to file an I-601. Presumably, I would need to have another interview after the I-601 goes through. I thought it was USCIS that handled green cards.

Are you wanting to go to the US?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm

This is "off topic" but may be helpful:
Dealing with Peruvian agencies can be quite frustrating.
I tried to have questions answered about a CBD OIL package from the US; I had a supposedly good phone # on the pick-up form.
No matter what time of day I called, the phone # went unanswered for many days!
Customs never returned my package to the sender in the US.
I live in HUaral & going to San Miguel is a long, painful trip as I have a back injury.
SOME THINGS IN PERU JUST DON'T MAKE SENSE!
You are not in Kansas any more!!!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:18 am

woodchuck wrote:This is "off topic" but may be helpful:
Dealing with Peruvian agencies can be quite frustrating.
I tried to have questions answered about a CBD OIL package from the US; I had a supposedly good phone # on the pick-up form.
No matter what time of day I called, the phone # went unanswered for many days!
Customs never returned my package to the sender in the US.
I live in HUaral & going to San Miguel is a long, painful trip as I have a back injury.
SOME THINGS IN PERU JUST DON'T MAKE SENSE!
You are not in Kansas any more!!!

Last time I checked, the US Embassy is not a Peruvian agency.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:09 pm

Alpineprince wrote:We have a interview set up for next week, so that appears to be normal.

The DOS will be taking over pretty much everything. There's no telling how this will affect wait times. I guess we just have to wait and see.

69roadrunner wrote:Are you wanting to go to the US?

Yes, I'm on the last leg of my permanent residence application. Looks like it's still going to take about 13-18 months though.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:23 pm

carloso wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:We have a interview set up for next week, so that appears to be normal.

The DOS will be taking over pretty much everything. There's no telling how this will affect wait times. I guess we just have to wait and see.

69roadrunner wrote:Are you wanting to go to the US?

Yes, I'm on the last leg of my permanent residence application. Looks like it's still going to take about 13-18 months though.

You just got to Peru, why do you want to go back to the US so soon? Sounds like you are having some hassle to get back.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 pm

My family, friends, and dog live there. :D Plus, I make a good living there and I actually like the culture and the city I live in (Seattle).
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 am

Maybe I missed something. Why do you need to go through a 5 year application process if you were already in the US for 12 years?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register