How to move to Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Lime

How to move to Peru?

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 pm

Hello, I am in Peru now and i have running out of my 183 days of tourist visa. I have a few options how to stay longer, to find a job here or to study here, can please anybody advise me how to acomplish this? Yes i can find a job here, but what if i dont want? Are there some tricks what i could do? Other way is just to overstay and pay the penalty when leaving Peru, but lets say i would stay 6 more months and then pay the penalty when going away and what if i want to come back after few months? In other words i want to live in Peru, is there (or do you know) somebody who would help me in my situation? Thank you very much!

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How to move to Peru?

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 am

Lime wrote:Hello, I am in Peru now and i have running out of my 183 days of tourist visa. Are there some tricks what i could do? Other way is just to overstay and pay the penalty when leaving Peru, but lets say i would stay 6 more months and then pay the penalty when going away and what if i want to come back after few months? Thank you very much!

What exactly do you mean by "tricks"?
No you can not return after a couple of months. You are allowed 183 days in a 365 day period.
Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:48 am

I mean if there is some way to stay longer if i dont want to work here.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Lime wrote:I mean if there is some way to stay longer if i dont want to work here.

How will you support yourself without work?
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Lime, You are not permitted to work on a tourist visa.Any employer would ask for your ID...CE or DNI, so don't get your hopes up about that.

Yes, you could over stay and pay the multa at the airport when you leave....but I don't think that you can re-enter for another 12 months, and even that could be touchy as you could be recorded as an "over-stayer".

As for your other ideas...I suggest you engage a immigration lawyer, IF you don't want to talk with Immigration office directly.
Don't tempt fate,.mate, you could end up in a Peruvian slammer.
Cheers,
W(Aussie)
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:16 am

What you could do is enrol at PUCP's Spanish for foreigners course, not all that expensive and take your enrolment papers to immigration and you should get an extension. Apparently, you are meant to enter on a tourist visa to study in Peru and set it all up in country. So try that (or one of the other universities in Lima...).
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:01 am

billybob72 wrote:What you could do is enrol at PUCP's Spanish for foreigners course, not all that expensive and take your enrolment papers to immigration and you should get an extension. Apparently, you are meant to enter on a tourist visa to study in Peru and set it all up in country. So try that (or one of the other universities in Lima...).

How much is the tuition?
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:26 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
billybob72 wrote:What you could do is enrol at PUCP's Spanish for foreigners course, not all that expensive and take your enrolment papers to immigration and you should get an extension. Apparently, you are meant to enter on a tourist visa to study in Peru and set it all up in country. So try that (or one of the other universities in Lima...).

How much is the tuition?

Last time I wrote to them, it was around a 1000 dollars for the semester or thereabouts. Drop them a line.

https://idiomas.pucp.edu.pe/programas/e ... tranjeros/
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 am

Just checked the email they sent me regarding fees, not even a thousand dollars a semester - the prices ( 2018, make sure you are sat comfortably...)

Two hours a day - Monday to Friday - a whopping 380 soles a month.

Two hours a day for two months - 660 soles.

That's an absolute steal, I am sure prices have gone up since then... but still, what a bargain - you would pay nowhere near that at a Colombian university which are damn expensive.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Are those fees the same for folks with tourist visas as they are for citizens? Can a tourist even enroll?
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 pm

jumpinjack wrote:Are those fees the same for folks with tourist visas as they are for citizens? Can a tourist even enroll?

According to my understanding of it, there is no such thing as a 'student visa' as such - for the purposes of studying in Peru - you enter on a tourist visa, enrol and then take your enrolment papers down to immigration and get the extension on the back of that.

Those are fees for people on tourist visas, you have to show you foreign passport to enrol. If you fancy it, it would be probably the best value for money for anything anywhere. :D
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 am

billybob72 wrote:it would be probably the best value for money for anything anywhere. :D

Except if you are looking for any of those class credits transferable to a first word country, probably ain't going to happen.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

jumpinjack wrote:
billybob72 wrote:it would be probably the best value for money for anything anywhere. :D

Except if you are looking for any of those class credits transferable to a first word country, probably ain't going to happen.

It looks like you're wrong.

https://www.washcoll.edu/offices/global ... tolica.php
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am

Key word 'probably'. Of course a Catholic college of such prestige will have transferable credits. Nice cherry picking.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to scam immigration. Unlike many colleges in Peru, the college, you reference, requires,
Advanced Spanish Language Skills (ideally through the 303-304 level).
GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.
Evidence of good character, maturity, and motivation.
Ability and willingness to adapt to a foreign environment.

To say nothing for the "slightly higher" tuition than you quoted as "the best value for money for anything anywhere." lol.

https://www.washcoll.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 am

jumpinjack wrote:Key word 'probably'. Of course a Catholic college of such prestige will have transferable credits. Nice cherry picking.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to scam immigration. Unlike many colleges in Peru, the college, you reference, requires,
GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.

To say nothing for the "slightly higher" tuition than you quoted as "the best value for money for anything anywhere." Nice try, though.

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 am

jumpinjack wrote:
jumpinjack wrote:Key word 'probably'. Of course a Catholic college of such prestige will have transferable credits. Nice cherry picking.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to scam immigration. Unlike many colleges in Peru the college, you reference, requires,
GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.

To say nothing for the "slightly higher" tuition than you quoted as "the best value for money for anything anywhere." Nice try, though.

billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:14 pm

GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.

To say nothing for the "slightly higher" tuition than you quoted as "the best value for money for anything anywhere." lol.

I don't know what your problem is, you asked how much tuition is and the visa situation and all I said is if you can find another university anywhere that offers tuition for 80 GBP a month or a 100 dollars for two hours of classes M-F - that is excellent value for money - which it is.

And like you have alluded to - he probably isn't going to use the time spent there to take back to wherever he is from and use them as credit to complete a university degree :roll: However, I thought you might have wanted the above information for yourself.

Also, for the Spanish language course - you obviously don't need 'Advanced Spanish Language Skills' if they're offering basic Spanish language courses (for 330 soles a month - excellent value :D ) but yes, to answer your question/loaded statement - they are transferable as credits for you to complete your degree back home - good luck!
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 am

billybob72 wrote:

GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.

I don't know what your problem is, you asked how much tuition is and the visa situation and all I said is if you can find another university anywhere that offers tuition for 80 GBP a month or a 100 dollars for two hours of classes M-F - that is excellent value for money - which it is.

And like you have alluded to - he probably isn't going to use the time spent there to take back to wherever he is from and use them as credit to complete a university degree :roll: However, I thought you might have wanted the above information for yourself.

Also, for the Spanish language course - you obviously don't need 'Advanced Spanish Language Skills' if they're offering basic Spanish language courses (for 330 soles a month - excellent value :D ) but yes, to answer your question/loaded statement - they are transferable as credits for you to complete your degree back home - good luck!

A little touchy, are we?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:59 am

Hi. There is a student visa available in Peru for students who would like to study for more than 6 months. Any less, you can study with a tourist visa. Whether or not the credits taken here are transferable to institutions abroad depends on the criteria of the institution at hand, and the willingness of the faculty of modern languages to due the due diligence comparing the curriculum. Taking a recognized Spanish exam, such as the DELE, or SIELE, may also help. Again, it depends on the home institution.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
billybob72 wrote:

GPA of 3.0 or above.
Strong academic record.

A little touchy, are we?

Trolling online - how 2008 - have you thought about taking up a hobby? How about knitting?
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Alan wrote:Hi. There is a student visa available in Peru for students who would like to study for more than 6 months. Any less, you can study with a tourist visa. Whether or not the credits taken here are transferable to institutions abroad depends on the criteria of the institution at hand, and the willingness of the faculty of modern languages to due the due diligence comparing the curriculum. Taking a recognized Spanish exam, such as the DELE, or SIELE, may also help. Again, it depends on the home institution.

Good to know for the OP or anyone else who wants to learn Spanish in Peru. :D
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm

billybob72 wrote:Good to know for the OP or anyone else who wants to learn Spanish in Peru. :D

I wonder if that is the 'trick' the OP was looking for to 'trick' immigration?
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
billybob72 wrote:Good to know for the OP or anyone else who wants to learn Spanish in Peru. :D

Who knows? It is an option if they have a few quid and want to stay longer, if not - it might help someone else who wants to stay on and learn Spanish.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 pm

billybob72 wrote:
jumpinjack wrote:

Who knows? It is an option if they have a few quid and want to stay longer, if not - it might help someone else who wants to stay on and learn Spanish.

This dude seems desperate and probably does not have a "few quid". I think suggesting how to 'trick' re: scam is disrespectful to the Peruvian people.
I wonder why he just does not simply go back home. His concern is his visa is about to run out and desperately looking for a way to stay in Peru and you suggest "just drop a few 'quid' into some Spanish course." Is he afraid to go back home? I'll bet he has no interest in attending any classes let alone paying a "few quid" for them.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:45 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
billybob72 wrote:
jumpinjack wrote:

This dude seems desperate and probably does not have a "few quid". I think suggesting how to 'trick' re: scam is disrespectful to the Peruvian people.
I wonder why he just does not simply go back home. His concern is his visa is about to run out and desperately looking for a way to stay in Peru and you suggest "just drop a few 'quid' into some Spanish course." Is he afraid to go back home? I'll bet he has no interest in attending any classes let alone paying a "few quid" for them.

Maybe or maybe not - who cares - it's an option - that is all it is. It can also serve as an option for other people.

I didn't really take much notice of his 'trick' comment, obviously if he is running out of money, the best thing to do is to go home.

If he has a few quid, he can enrol on a Spanish course and get his visa status updated with a trip to immigration in Brena. He did actually mention study in his OP so I thought I would mention the option I posted and the costs - it's a pretty harmless remark - no, really.

We don't know his fiscal situation. If he is running out of money - go home. If he has a few quid to fund a stay for a semester of so, he can learn some Spanish and if he wants to go back to university to complete a degree, then I am sure he can use them as credits.
mikl.dervins

Postby mikl.dervins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:55 am

I mean if there is some way to stay longer if i dont want to work here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register