Workaround for slow Movistar internet

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Workaround for slow Movistar internet

Postby gringolandia » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm

With all the people working from home now, Movistar cable modem connections have been getting reallllllly slooooow during the day. It was so bad yesterday that I couldn't even access my work emails.

My analysis of the problem has determined that the source of the problem is not the connectivity between homes and Movistar. That remains fine even when the connection to international servers is basically dead. The source of the problem is between Movistar and the servers (physically located outside of Peru*) with which we are trying to connect.

That means that if you can bypass the bottleneck between Movistar and the servers you can still maintain a decent internet connection.

One way I have found to do this is to use a VPN such as ExpressVPN, and instead of using an access point in another country as usual (we mostly use VPNs like this to watch US Netflix and such, right?), you choose an access point in Peru itself.

Since Movistar's connectivity within Peru remains good even when the international connectivity is bottlenecked, your connection to the access point should still be good. And the data passing through the VPN will then use the network that the VPN provider has selected (hopefully a provider other than Movistar).

So in short, if you find yourself with dysfunctional Movistar internet due to all the people working from home, try using a VPN and select an access point in Peru and see if helps bypass the bottleneck.

* Note: Even servers that have .pe domains are typically not physically located in Peru.

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Workaround for slow Movistar internet

Postby alan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 pm

gringolandia wrote:
So in short, if you find yourself with dysfunctional Movistar internet due to all the people working from home, try using a VPN and select an access point in Peru and see if helps bypass the bottleneck.

* Note: Even servers that have .pe domains are typically not physically located in Peru.

Good advice.

I am on Claro, and connections have slowed, but not to the point you mentioned... at least not yet.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register