Rentista Visa

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
EX-PERUVIAN

Rentista Visa

Postby EX-PERUVIAN » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm

I was born in Peru but came to the States when I was 20. I changed my name when I became an American Citizen which is now in the Americanized form but without my mother's maiden name. If I tried to get my DNI, there would be a discrepancy between my Peruvian birth certificate and my American name, also, there is also a slight difference in my surname.

Now that I'm retired, my American wife and I want to move to Peru permanently and live with my sister and elderly mother. The problem is that I was advised not to try to get my DNI in Peru with my birth certificate because I have a different name in my passport, so to avoid future, possible and problematic issues, we have decided that it would better to go to Lima as American Citizens with the purpose of residing there permanently.

I have a pension that is double the amount than the official requirement which is $12,000 a year. We also get SS checks that surpass the previous amount. My question is, can my wife and I go to Lima as tourists purchasing a one-way ticket there only? If Customs questions us as to why we don't have a return ticket, can I tell them I'm planning to get my DNI there and begin the process of residency for my wife? By the way, I have my birth certificate with me and my passport states I was born in Peru.

The other option would be to go through all the trouble to deal with a Peruvian Consulate here in the States. The nearest one is in Denver or Salt Lake City, (I live in Wyoming) and try to get our resident documentation here before we travel there.

Which of the two options do you guys think is better? Is there a third option?

Thank you for your advice.

Joseph

rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rentista Visa

Postby rudder » Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I can’t help much. But I’m in the same boat. My wife is a dual citizen, whereas I’m only a US citizen and non-resident of Peru. I too would like to move to Peru and live there full time with my wife.

As far as I know you have to start the application for permanent residence with a personal visit to the Interpol office in Lima.

Let me know how the one-way ticket plan goes. Since you’re a Peruvian citizen, I wonder if they will still give your wife a hard time at the airport.
Tropical Food Forests:

https://agroventuresperu.com/
daxbr

Re: Rentista Visa

Postby daxbr » Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm

EX-PERUVIAN wrote:I was born in Peru but came to the States when I was 20. I changed my name when I became an American Citizen which is now in the Americanized form but without my mother's maiden name. If I tried to get my DNI, there would be a discrepancy between my Peruvian birth certificate and my American name, also, there is also a slight difference in my surname.

Now that I'm retired, my American wife and I want to move to Peru permanently and live with my sister and elderly mother. The problem is that I was advised not to try to get my DNI in Peru with my birth certificate because I have a different name in my passport, so to avoid future, possible and problematic issues, we have decided that it would better to go to Lima as American Citizens with the purpose of residing there permanently.

I have a pension that is double the amount than the official requirement which is $12,000 a year. We also get SS checks that surpass the previous amount. My question is, can my wife and I go to Lima as tourists purchasing a one-way ticket there only? If Customs questions us as to why we don't have a return ticket, can I tell them I'm planning to get my DNI there and begin the process of residency for my wife? By the way, I have my birth certificate with me and my passport states I was born in Peru.

The other option would be to go through all the trouble to deal with a Peruvian Consulate here in the States. The nearest one is in Denver or Salt Lake City, (I live in Wyoming) and try to get our resident documentation here before we travel there.

Which of the two options do you guys think is better? Is there a third option?

Thank you for your advice.

Joseph

Looks to me like great situation to be in:
Fly to Peru on US_p. With help of mother and sister, obtain original birth cert, then dni and Peru_p. Fly back to US on US_p. Enjoy your identities.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register