Anybody left in Lima? When will the airport open to escape?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Thu May 07, 2020 11:16 am

I've been planning my escape for a few weeks now, with numbers climbing up and no end in sight it might get ugly soon.

Is there a reliable prognosis as to when they plan to open the airport in Lima? with the Supremo Decreto de Viszarra with some tourist industries opening up again, will it include airports?

I've read they are planning to invest 5200 millions of soles into construction of new terminal? But does that mean it will never re-open? What are any other escape routes?

rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anybody left in Lima? When will the airport open to escape?

Postby rudder » Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am

AFAIK everything’s open again on the 10th. I assume that includes the airport.

Where do you plan to escape to?

The reason I ask is because I’m considering escaping TO peru.
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Thu May 07, 2020 12:09 pm

rudder wrote:AFAIK everything’s open again on the 10th. I assume that includes the airport.

Where do you plan to escape to?

The reason I ask is because I’m considering escaping TO peru.

I hope that you are right but its been already 3 times that quarantine got extended with no end in sight, I'm not as optimistic as you are. I can find no credible information that it will be open on May 10th.

Ultimately I want to get to the States, but I would take Chile or Panama to hop to first if that's needed.

I do not recommend going to Peru at this moment. If you would require any kind of medical attention at any point in the future, you will not receive it. All of the hospitals are overwhelmed and people are getting turned down regardless of their condition. Pharmacies are open, grocery stores do deliver if your order online, and most supermarkets are open with 90% of products as before covid.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat May 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Register with the Embassy if you want a flight. My best friend left yesterday on the Latam flight to Miami they run periodically.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am

Do you have any idea when Jose Chavez airport will be open?
Thanks.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun May 17, 2020 11:34 am

Late July-early August, according to the most recently published plan. For now all flights are leaving out of the military airport south of Lima.
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Alpineprince wrote:Late July-early August, according to the most recently published plan. For now all flights are leaving out of the military airport south of Lima.

UPDATE:

We took a LATAM operated flight from Lima on May 16th and were extremely worried for our safety due to LATAM not following basic COVID protection protocols. I hope you can pass this information to the rest of the Americans considering returning home, so they can make an informed decision about taking LATAM's flights.

LATAM had consistently put everybody's lives at risk, by not following basic safety rules to keep passengers safe from COVID 19.
Nobody was taking temperature, asking the basic question if a person is ill, or if they have traveled somewhere where they could've been exposed to COVID 19 virus
Attendants were not enforcing distancing and not even advising passengers to keep distance when taking their seats
When passengers were entering the plane nobody said how to take seats and stay at a distance
As we all got on the plane, a passenger started suffering heart failure, and subsequently died! on the plane. LATAM's response was absolutely inadequate, they had no idea what to do, eventually, they had ambulance arrive, but the captain said nothing. They had one person from "Liderman" just going down the aisle and yelling for everybody to stay in their seats to not cause panic when they should've immediately started evacuating people off the plane not get exposed to clearly a contagious person, who subsequently had died. The experience was terrible and really shook us, we were so shocked and scared that now we were all infected because LATAM failed to check that person for symptoms and allowed him to board with us, passing everybody on the plane, and spreading the disease.

Eventually, LATAM's captain spoke and asked everybody to leave the plane. We got on the bus to return to the base but were greeted by not enough chairs, no water or food, nobody had any food from 4:30 AM till 7:30 PM when they gave us a bag of potato chips and water. Then it was a chaos of getting on the plane again, no safety protocols were followed or enforced again, and worst of all, the people on the buses had to pay additional (bribe) to get better seats in order to seat in a 2 seat section.

I understand that during the crisis the options are limited, and I feel very grateful to US Embassy on working with external partners that organize flights to give us the opportunity to return home, but I wish that organizers and LATAM be required to keep a basic safety protocol.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 am

eugene.in.peru wrote:
LATAM had consistently put everybody's lives at risk, by not following basic safety rules to keep passengers safe from COVID 19.

So, how many have died?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm

They should have taken your temperature before you boarded the bus for the airport.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Alpineprince wrote:They should have taken your temperature before you boarded the bus for the airport.

What bus? I have never taken a bus, they do not go to check in. I always take a taxi or friend.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:16 pm

eugene.in.peru wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:Late July-early August, according to the most recently published plan. For now all flights are leaving out of the military airport south of Lima.

I understand that during the crisis the options are limited, and I feel very grateful to US Embassy on working with external partners that organize flights to give us the opportunity to return home, but I wish that organizers and LATAM be required to keep a basic safety protocol.

What is especially upsetting about this is that these flights have been going out from there for 2 months now, and they still have not organized themselves. It's crazy! If they can take your temperature before going into the grocery store, surely an AIRLINE should be able to do at least that.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Alan wrote:What is especially upsetting about this is that these flights have been going out from there for 2 months now, and they still have not organized themselves. It's crazy! If they can take your temperature before going into the grocery store, surely an AIRLINE should be able to do at least that.

What is so, especially upsetting and crazy? They didn't take a temperature? That makes as much since as wearing a cloth bandanna.
Let's put it to the test. How many died? On this "CRAZY" airline. How many even got THE VIRUS, or any virus, on this "CRAZY" airline?
Might be more helpful, people, to stop trying scaring people, govt's are pretty good at that, already
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
Alan wrote:What is especially upsetting about this is that these flights have been going out from there for 2 months now, and they still have not organized themselves. It's crazy! If they can take your temperature before going into the grocery store, surely an AIRLINE should be able to do at least that.

What is so, especially upsetting and crazy? They didn't take a temperature? That makes as much since as wearing a cloth bandanna.
Let's put it to the test. How many died? On this "CRAZY" airline. How many even got THE VIRUS, or any virus, on this "CRAZY" airline?
Might be more helpful, people, to stop trying scaring people, govt's are pretty good at that, already

I think it is upstting that they are not following the same basic protocols that every other formal entitity that deals with crowds of people. I spoke to a friend who left to the USA over a month ago. He described the same kind of mob scene. People milling in groups, no seats... and no temperature taking either here or upon arrival to the USA. He flew with American Airlines, not LAN.

How many got the virus? That's a great question. How do you suggest we find out?

What we do know is that social distancing works, and that it makes sense to separate people who are evidently ill from people who are presumably well.

For example, would you willingly sit beside somebody running a fever and coughing if you were on that plane? Maybe you would.. I don't know, but most likely you would not. Given that case, would you consider it your resposibility to ask them to debark?

Anybody else watch this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ABr9iUip44
-----
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 am

Companies that take the necessary steps to protect the safety and health of their customers will likely be rewarded after a permanent solution to COVID-19 is discovered. Companies that don't will likely lose customers who will remember personal and reported on bad experiences. Looking out for your employees and customers is good public relations. Good PR builds goodwill. Letting sick passengers on your plane who, as eugene.in.peru described it are, or more accurately were, "clearly a contagious person, who subsequently had died" before potentially passing on the virus to other passengers who are going to spread it to wherever their travels eventually take them isn't good for PR or goodwill. I doubt eugene, or anyone else on that plane, will want to fly LATAM again. I bet, like eugene did here, they will all share their bad experience on social media and with friends and family.

I'm already favoring businesses that take extra steps, or at least more than their competitors. Others I've spoken with are as well. We're avoiding businesses that aren't taking any steps or whose actions aren't sufficient. I watch the nightly news and see that the outbreaks are more concentrated in those areas where vendors and customers aren't doing much of anything to protect their health.

My guess is the people who are saying that people/businesses/governments are unnessarily scaring people are not practicing what they preach and doing their food shopping in the markets where the majority of tested vendors are testing positive, but instead are playing it safe by going to supermarkets that take tempearatures, make customers wear masks and wash their hands at provided hand washing stations, and enforce social distancing on queues.

Whether one wants to be cautious, or say that it's all a bunch of hype that scares people unnessarily doesn't really matter if you're running a business. In the US states that have opened (some say prematurely) aren't seeing a rush of customers. A lot of people say it's too early, see the cold hard numbers of cases and deaths that keep going up and are likely undereported, or the data is flat out being manipulated to make it seem that there aren't as many COVID-19 related deaths as there actually are.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... his-first/

Restaurants that aren't concerned about the safety of their customers and are known to occasionally give their customers food poisoning eventually fail because of their actions. Doesn't matter if some people are saying that reports of people getting food poisioning are overblown and unnessarily scaring potential customers. Those restaurants that maintain cleanliness, all other things being equal, survive and thrive. Will it be the same with airlines and how they deal with their employee's and customer's safety?

Despite what those who think it's all overblown say, people in these recently "re-opened" states are making a personal decision on whether or not to patronize a business. People are staying away until they feel it's safe because they instincitively know that reports of governments manipulating data to keep their COVID-19 death rates artificially low are true.

Maybe LATAM, who has filed for bankruptcy, isn't really thinking long-term and taking steps that would demonstrate to their customers that safety of their employees and customers is a concern of theirs. Maybe other airlines are handling this better and will gain future customers due to their current actions. If I was on that flight eugene.in.peru was on where the passenger died on the plane, I'm pretty sure I'd be put off ever flying LATAM again, considering it wasn't a random heart attack and LATAM allowed a sick passenger on board an enclosed space during the start of a global pandemic.

Maybe LATAM was too busy dealing with the events that lead to their being delisted from the NYSE on 9 June.

An interesting parrellel is how Johnson and Johnson handled the Chicago Tylenol murders back in the early 80's.

https://www.prweek.com/article/1357203/ ... s-response

"Johnson & Johnson has effectively demonstrated how a major business ought to handle a disaster......While at the time of the scare the company's market share collapsed from 35 percent to 8 percent, it rebounded in less than a year, a move credited to the company's prompt and aggressive reaction."
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 am

Alan wrote:How do you suggest we find out?

That's the big question to this whole hoax, isn't it? Very difficult to answer when dealing with voodoo medical reporting and a united effort to scare people death. With thinking thinking that, a coughing person is going to kill you, might be best not to ever get out of bed.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am

69roadrunner wrote:
Alan wrote:How do you suggest we find out?

That's the big question to this whole hoax, isn't it? Very difficult to answer when dealing with voodoo medical reporting and a united effort to scare people death. With thinking thinking that, a coughing person is going to kill you, might be best not to ever get out of bed.

Or we could just act like Bolsonaro in Brasil, and stick our heads in the sand and quit counting. The truth hurts.
-----
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:41 am

noclevername wrote:Companies that take the necessary steps to protect the safety and health of their customers will likely be rewarded after a permanent solution to COVID-19 is discovered. Companies that don't will likely lose customers who will remember personal and reported on bad experiences. Looking out for your employees and customers is good public relations. Good PR builds goodwill. Letting sick passengers on your plane who, as eugene.in.peru described it are, or more accurately were, "clearly a contagious person, who subsequently had died" before potentially passing on the virus to other passengers who are going to spread it to wherever their travels eventually take them isn't good for PR or goodwill. I doubt eugene, or anyone else on that plane, will want to fly LATAM again. I bet, like eugene did here, they will all share their bad experience on social media and with friends and family.."

I certainly hope you are right. There is so much noise and distraction now that it makes me wonder just how much people will remember, or will care to remember, about their experience. Infractors might be forgiven due to the "there were extenuating circumstances" argument, and of course a big warm and glowy marketing push. Collective amnesia might lead to collective amnesty.

It's been really interesting to see how BCC (banco de credito) has managed the situation. First, they donated a pot of money to the hungry and today I saw a full page add explaining how they are giving a pass to their debtors. A very smart strategy to win hearts and minds. After all of this is over, most people will have forgotten the huge black eye they had going in to the crisis from the "donations to Keiko" scandal.

On the bright side (I hope), construction sites on my block are in full swing now. That will get money into peoples pockets and hopefully kickstart the economy again. It's an important sector which fosters an important multiplier effect.
-----
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Or instead of cowering in bed from fear, people could listen to the experts on epidemiology, social distance, wear masks so as not to spread the virus, and take other basic, mostly painless steps; basically adapt to the situation and make the most out of a bad situation. It's a sad statement of the toughness of some people who feel that wearing a mask and social distancing is too difficult or too much of a sacrifice. A sad statement of society at large. A lot of people have become too soft and comfortable. So called snowflakes who melt at the slightest inconvenience.

It's not an all black or all white, completely fear or completely ignore COVID-19 situation. Denial, sticking one's head in the sand, manipulating the numbers to minimize the severity of the situation is as bad as cowering in all consuming fear. There exists a rational middle path that treats the situation seriously, that realizes that for the foreseeable future a "new normal" is needed, and that with responsible actions this virus is something that can be dealt with while being able to minimize the downsides and inconveniences to societies at large.

Responsible leadership is a start. Leadership that values science over politics. Some countries have it, some don't. Simply pretending COVID-19 doesn't exist, is a politically motivated hoax, or wishing that it will magically or miraculously disappear one day won't stop the virus and only lead to more, unnessary deaths due to COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 causes because of overstressed and diminshed health care systems.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Alan wrote:
noclevername wrote:Companies that take the necessary steps to protect the safety and health of their customers will likely be rewarded after a permanent solution to COVID-19 is discovered. Companies that don't will likely lose customers who will remember personal and reported on bad experiences. Looking out for your employees and customers is good public relations. Good PR builds goodwill. Letting sick passengers on your plane who, as eugene.in.peru described it are, or more accurately were, "clearly a contagious person, who subsequently had died" before potentially passing on the virus to other passengers who are going to spread it to wherever their travels eventually take them isn't good for PR or goodwill. I doubt eugene, or anyone else on that plane, will want to fly LATAM again. I bet, like eugene did here, they will all share their bad experience on social media and with friends and family.."

I certainly hope you are right. There is so much noise and distraction now that it makes me wonder just how much people will remember, or will care to remember, about their experience. Infractors might be forgiven due to the "there were extenuating circumstances" argument, and of course a big warm and glowy marketing push. Collective amnesia might lead to collective amnesty.

It's been really interesting to see how BCC (banco de credito) has managed the situation. First, they donated a pot of money to the hungry and today I saw a full page add explaining how they are giving a pass to their debtors. A very smart strategy to win hearts and minds. After all of this is over, most people will have forgotten the huge black eye they had going in to the crisis from the "donations to Keiko" scandal.

On the bright side (I hope), construction sites on my block are in full swing now. That will get money into peoples pockets and hopefully kickstart the economy again. It's an important sector which fosters an important multiplier effect.

Probably more effective than making "extenuating circumstances" excuses alone will be offering cheap fares. Cheap fares will have people overlook past malfeasance, extra charges (both obvious and more hidden in the finer print), discomfort, inconvenience, and just about anything else related to air travel.

I'd imagine the more direct the experience was, the greater impact it will have on future purchase decisions. People reading eugene's story might be more willing to overlook it since it was a mediated rather than direct experience. Like how people read bad online reviews but purchase a product anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if people on that flight, esp. those in close proximity to the passenger who died on the plane, never fly LATAM again.

I don't know anything about the corporate tax system here, but I wonder if those BCC goodwill actions are something that will positively affect their bottom line as far as taxable income. It's a lot easier to be charitable when you have a ton of money and the govt. gives tax incentives to be so. Regardless, it's a smart PR move on their part.

It's good to see the economy ramping up. Unfortuanately not all businesses/industries have the same flexibility, but a lot can be done to conduct business in a safer way that minimizes the risk of the virus.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:37 pm

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Alan wrote:Or we could just act like Bolsonaro in Brasil, and stick our heads in the sand and quit counting. The truth hurts.

What is the truth? or Who's truth?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

noclevername wrote:
I'd imagine the more direct the experience was, the greater impact it will have on future purchase decisions. People reading eugene's story might be more willing to overlook it since it was a mediated rather than direct experience. Like how people read bad online reviews but purchase a product anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if people on that flight, esp. those in close proximity to the passenger who died on the plane, never fly LATAM again.

Businesses for the future? PR firms.

Another area to watch will be politics: there will be lots of finger pointing and "oh, no I didn't" going on, once the thrill and urgency of the emergency has passed.
-----
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:55 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:They should have taken your temperature before you boarded the bus for the airport.

What bus? I have never taken a bus, they do not go to check in. I always take a taxi or friend.

If you are on a repatriation flight to the USA arranged by the Solange travel agency, you meet at the Marriott hotel in Miraflores where they are supposed to take your temp before boarding the bus to the military base. You can not take a taxi or go with a friend to the military base.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Alpineprince wrote:If you are on a repatriation flight to the USA arranged by the Solange travel agency, you meet at the Marriott hotel in Miraflores where they are supposed to take your temp before boarding the bus to the military base. You can not take a taxi or go with a friend to the military base.

That's great news.

BTW, if anyone here is interested, this is the fligh info:

By the way, if anyone is interested in that flight, you can find details here:

FLIGHT TO USA JUNE 19TH

Solange Reps Travel Agency is planning a charter flight from Lima to Miami (MIA) on Friday, June 19. Interested travelers should complete the form linked to in this article.

"DO NOT WAIT TO BE CONTACTED BY THE U.S. EMBASSY."

https://bit.ly/3cLZcbx
-----
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 pm

UPDATE: With FREE testing widely available here in the states we took Covid 19 test and those came back negative.

For anybody interested, this is the latest information from the Embassy:

Solange Reps: Solange Reps Travel Agency is planning a charter flight from Lima to New York City (JFK) on Friday, June 26. To register your interest, please visit: https://solangereps.typeform.com/to/n7ITes. Solange Reps flights are open to U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs). This is not a U.S. Embassy flight. For additional information, contact Solange Reps directly by calling or sending a WhatsApp message to +1 (786) 387-0000 or +51-952-396-417, or via their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Solangereps.Mayoristapreferida.

All U.S. citizens who wish to depart Peru should contact one of our travel partners directly to purchase a ticket on a repatriation flight. We continue to announce viable scheduled flights through travel partners in our email alerts. DO NOT WAIT TO BE CONTACTED BY THE U.S. EMBASSY. We cannot guarantee that repatriation flights will continue indefinitely. The Jorge Chávez International Airport and international borders remain closed for the near future. If you remain in Peru, please continue to follow Peruvian government quarantine restrictions.

Emergency Passport Services for Repatriation Passengers: U.S. citizens in need of an emergency passport to purchase a ticket on a repatriation flight should email [email protected] with relevant details. Appointments are reserved ONLY for U.S. citizens traveling on a scheduled repatriation flight. Routine passport services are still closed. For more information on emergency passport services, visit https://pe.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions: At this time, there are no specific limitations for U.S. citizens or Lawful Personal Residents (LPRs) traveling to the United States from Peru. Restrictions are in place for nearly all foreign nationals returning from Brazil, China, Iran, and most European countries, which have all been highly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information and the latest updates, please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's COVID-19 website at https://www.dhs.gov/coronavirus/protect ... can-public.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 pm

Glad to see you tested negative.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am

I previously purchased a ticket to FLL with Spirit for July 7; will this flight be allowed?
Thanks & stay safe.
samthesham
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby samthesham » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 am

woodchuck wrote:I previously purchased a ticket to FLL with Spirit for July 7; will this flight be allowed?
Thanks & stay safe.

I dunno about Spirit, man.
I guess if you're truly desperate.

viewtopic.php?t=19933
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:52 am

I must admit Spirit has gotten better in recent years.
I have 30,000 free miles with their credit card.
Will I be able to fly on July 7?
Thanks.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm

woodchuck wrote:I must admit Spirit has gotten better in recent years.
I have 30,000 free miles with their credit card.
Will I be able to fly on July 7?
Thanks.

Definitely not. Govt plan is for the third week of August at the earliest!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks for the info.
What is the link for the government website - please.
What criteria are used to determine when the country will open?
How is this affecting expats?
Stay safe.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:03 pm

woodchuck wrote:Thanks for the info.
What is the link for the government website - please.
What criteria are used to determine when the country will open?
How is this affecting expats?
Stay safe.

I think it is better to keep an eye on the Jorge Chavez website to keep track of the updates https://www.lima-airport.com/eng. They will post any updates and you get it translated into English.

Criteria? Great question!

As for expats.. I keep track of the Canadian expat group.. Some really want to go home, others are hunkered down and happy. Thousands of people and thousands of stories.
-----

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register