Covid-19 Tests at Lima, Airport

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
tinman

Covid-19 Tests at Lima, Airport

Postby tinman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:48 pm

I have lived in Peru since 2007. I am married to a Peruvian woman and we live in Iquitos. I do not have a permanent visa for Peru.
I intend to apply for a Retirement Visa when I return
In October 2019 I returned to the US to work for a while and got caught in the Covid-19 Plandemic. And could not work in the US for the same reason.
I now have a ticket to return to Peru on the 24th of October (10 days from today).
The closest place I can get a PCR test for Covid-19 is 250 miles away. If you do not have insurance the normal places will not give you a test for international flights reason because they can not get paid by insurance companies. I am retired and do not have Part B Medicare so I have no insurance. Medicare is worthless in Peru so I don't pay the monthly premium for Part B.
Question: What happens when I arrive at Lima airport with no PCR Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of flight?
I thought I read somewhere that the test are available at the airport but now I can not find the source.
I do have relatives in Lima where I can quarantine for 14 days.
I have sent emails to the Peruvian Embassy here in the US with no response.
I have sent emails to Peruvian Embassies here in the US with no response.

Does anyone know if the test is available at the airport? if so, how much does it cost?
If it is not available what is going to happen?
A speedy answer would be appreciated.
Thank you.

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Covid-19 Tests at Lima, Airport

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm

tinman wrote:Question: What happens when I arrive at Lima airport with no PCR Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of flight?
Thank you.

I'd have a round trip ticket ready.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:12 pm

tinman wrote:I have lived in Peru since 2007. I am married to a Peruvian woman and we live in Iquitos. I do not have a permanent visa for Peru.
I intend to apply for a Retirement Visa when I return
In October 2019 I returned to the US to work for a while and got caught in the Covid-19 Plandemic. And could not work in the US for the same reason.
I now have a ticket to return to Peru on the 24th of October (10 days from today).
The closest place I can get a PCR test for Covid-19 is 250 miles away. If you do not have insurance the normal places will not give you a test for international flights reason because they can not get paid by insurance companies. I am retired and do not have Part B Medicare so I have no insurance. Medicare is worthless in Peru so I don't pay the monthly premium for Part B.
Question: What happens when I arrive at Lima airport with no PCR Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of flight?
I thought I read somewhere that the test are available at the airport but now I can not find the source.
I do have relatives in Lima where I can quarantine for 14 days.
I have sent emails to the Peruvian Embassy here in the US with no response.
I have sent emails to Peruvian Embassies here in the US with no response.

Does anyone know if the test is available at the airport? if so, how much does it cost?
If it is not available what is going to happen?
Thank you.

Interesting question. I've put a call out to a friend who might know. There is a clinic at the airport (I got a yellow fever shot there a few years ago), so the infrastructure is there.

Have you looked into the availability of the test at the airport you will embark at?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:19 am

According to the US Embassy website, the test must be taken 72 hours before the flight.

https://pe.usembassy.gov/es/covid-19-information/

They also say health exams are given at the airport, but don't specify if there are vaccinations. The information must be on the same site in English, if that helps.

Good luck with your travels.

Se requiere una prueba COVID-19 negativa (PCR y/o serología) para ingresar? Sí.
72 horas antes de los vuelos, todos los pasajeros que lleguen a Perú deben firmar una declaración jurada acordando cumplir con la cuarentena obligatoria de 14 días y dar fe de que están libres de síntomas de COVID-19 al ingresar. Puede encontrar la declaración jurada electrónica aquí: https://e-notificacion.migraciones.gob.pe/dj-salud/. Los pasajeros que lleguen para apoyar el esfuerzo de respuesta de COVID-19 de Perú deben presentar una prueba de COVID-19 molecular negativa para permitir la entrada.
¿Existen procedimientos de control de salud en los aeropuertos y otros puertos de entrada? Sí.

Se realizan exámenes de salud en el Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge Chávez.
tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks for replies.

I am not concerned about vaccinations. I do not get vaccines. Vaccines are not required for tourists in Peru. Yellow fever is "recommended" but not required.

I copied this off Peruvian government website:

"72 hours in advance of flights, all passengers arriving to Peru must sign a sworn statement agreeing to comply with the mandatory 14-day quarantine and attest that they are symptom free of COVID-19 upon entry. You can find the electronic sworn declaration here: https://e-notificacion.migraciones.gob.pe/dj-salud/. Passengers arriving to support Peru’s COVID-19 response effort must present negative molecular COVID-19 test to allow entry."

Quarantine is not a problem. I have 5 sisters-in-law in LIma. I have invitations from all.

Above quote "Passengers arriving to support Peru’s COVID-19 response effort must present negative molecular COVID-19 test to allow entry." implies I do not need a covid-19 test. I am not coming to Peru to "support Peru's COVID-19 response effort". That sounds me like medical personal coming to Peru to help in the pandemic.

And that will be my argument if they ask me why I do not have a test result.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 am

tinman wrote:Thanks for replies.

I am not concerned about vaccinations. I do not get vaccines. Vaccines are not required for tourists in Peru. Yellow fever is "recommended" but not required.

I copied this off Peruvian government website:

"72 hours in advance of flights, all passengers arriving to Peru must sign a sworn statement agreeing to comply with the mandatory 14-day quarantine and attest that they are symptom free of COVID-19 upon entry. You can find the electronic sworn declaration here: https://e-notificacion.migraciones.gob.pe/dj-salud/. Passengers arriving to support Peru’s COVID-19 response effort must present negative molecular COVID-19 test to allow entry."

Quarantine is not a problem. I have 5 sisters-in-law in LIma. I have invitations from all.

Above quote "Passengers arriving to support Peru’s COVID-19 response effort must present negative molecular COVID-19 test to allow entry." implies I do not need a covid-19 test. I am not coming to Peru to "support Peru's COVID-19 response effort". That sounds me like medical personal coming to Peru to help in the pandemic.

And that will be my argument if they ask me why I do not have a test result.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

BTW, the yellow fever shot I got was when I was outbound from Lima with destination Haiti. It is a requirement to have had the vaccination if you were traveling from Peru. We were surprised by this requirement when we went to check in, so even though the vaccination needed to be reveived 78 hours in advance, we said "what the hell" and got it anyway, to have a basis for argument if they made any noise when we arrived there. Of course, when we arrived in Port au Prince, they didn't say a word. Now that was the most chaotic airport I have ever seen! They were much more interested in receiving a tourist tax then checking our vaccination record. I have no idea what they were celebrating that day, but the workers in the booth receiving the tax were taking small shots of rum.

When we went to our vehicle in the parking lot, this police car was parked next to us. Notice the bullet holes? Anyway.. sorry to highjack the thread with my annectdote. I suppose it serves as a reminder that no matter difficult things can get here, they can always be worse.

haiti bullet holes.jpg
haiti bullet holes.jpg (304.99 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register