New Quarantine Policy in Effect...

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
carlostanner

New Quarantine Policy in Effect...

Postby carlostanner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:41 am

As of today, January 4th, all travelers entering Peru must quarantine for 2 weeks. The new policy states that they can quarantine at home, at a designated quarantine location made in the Pan American Village (from the recent Pan Am Games hosted in Lima) or at a hotel or other lodging coordinated with the health authorities.

> Does anyone know of someone who has entered the country on or after the 4th of January and what they did?
(This policy applies to everyone, not just foreigners, so even Peruvians must quarantine)

> I am wondering about if you live in another part of Peru, can you still take your connecting flight to another city?

I spoke with MINSA and they told me that a traveler can continue on to another city and then quarantine there, but I also read that the hotel must be an authorized quarantine location. I have spoken with a hotel owner in Iquitos and she did not know how the process worked to be authorized.

Any help or stories from people who just entered Peru today or after the 4th would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by carlostanner on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Quarantine Policy in Effect...

Postby alan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am

carlostanner wrote:
> I am wondering about if you live in another part of Lima, can you still take your connecting flight to another city?

Hi Carlos,

I think you meant to say "if you live in another part of Peru".. Perhaps edit your post.

What I read is that if you are traveling to another part of Peru, you needed to quarantine first in Lima. It will be interesting to hear personal experiences.

It's terrible that this kind of policy is announced one day and applied the next.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 am

Quarantine is not exactly new, seems it has simply been extended.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32021&p=160197#p160081
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:08 pm

My brother in law was supposed to be flying to Peru this week for a week so he could straighten out some Migraciónes stuff. Seems kind of pointless now if he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks. I'll ask him what's going on and post back if it's anything new or relevant.

My flight 1 Feb to Argentina got cancelled. Bummer. Should've counted on a post-Navidad and año nuevo bump in case numbers > hospitalizations > deaths back when I booked the date.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm

I heard today from a lawyer who handles this kind of thing that people are now being allowed to connect to destinations in the Provinces. I wish I could be more specific than this, but I haven't found anything published on the airport Facebook or webpage, or in the newspapers.

This is all being very poorly managed. And pity the poor business traveler who needed to come in for a few days only... it's now either cancel the trip, or bite the 14-day bullet.

(so yes, the airport has a Facebook page - a very busy one - which isn't publicized on their web page: https://www.facebook.com/aeropuertojorgechavez)
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:42 am

alan wrote:
This is all being very poorly managed.

How would you manage it?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 am

69roadrunner wrote:
alan wrote:
This is all being very poorly managed.

How would you manage it?

Thanks for asking. I would have given more notice that the quarantine would be applied, I would have permitted people to travel to their home city in Peru, I would have used clear language in the legislation so travelers would be clear about their options, and I would have published easy-to-find, regular updates as their policies changed in practice.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:51 am

Why would you permit people to travel to their home city in Peru? Are they somehow immune/exempt from the scamdemic?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:51 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Why would you permit people to travel to their home city in Peru? Are they somehow immune/exempt from the scamdemic?

So they can quarantine in their own home.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:25 am

But wouldn't they be infecting and putting people in danger on their way to their home? What about the people they come in contact with, on the way to their home? Or are the travelers and the ones they contact with immune to the scamdemic?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:28 pm

69roadrunner wrote:But wouldn't they be infecting and putting people in danger on their way to their home? What about the people they come in contact with, on the way to their home? Or are the travelers and the ones they contact with immune to the scamdemic?

Overall, it seems to be a smaller risk, since the travel portion has strict protocols. It makes more sense for them to stay in a controlled, home environment, than some impromptu accommodation in Lima with friends or family.

Meanwhile, back in the States:

For the second day in a row, the United States set a record for daily reported deaths: at least 4,111. And public health officials recorded a new daily case record, too: at least 280,028 new infections. (That excludes two days with figures driven up by reporting anomalies, and it is possible that the new highs in deaths and cases may reflect reporting lags tied to the holidays.) New York Times.

Looks like things will get worse before they get better.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 pm

My brother in law arrived this morning. He had to show proof of testing negative before being allowed on the plane. I'm less concerned about him infecting people or putting anyone in danger, and more concerned about the people I see walking around maskless, esp. the guy I saw yesterday without a mask get onto a combi and take a seat - walked right past the cobrador who didn't say a word.

As far as the US, the President has been saying that they're 'turning the corner.' Of course he doesn't say that the turn leads smack into a giant dumpster fire.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:50 am

noclevername wrote:As far as the US, the President has been saying that they're 'turning the corner.' Of course he doesn't say that the turn leads smack into a giant dumpster fire.

Quite a few dumpster fires these days in the USA. It is very sad to watch.

But speaking of the quarantine, I have relatives who have just arrived and are locked down in Lima. They, like a lot of visitors, don't have a land line telephone at hand, so it makes me wonder how this quarantine can enforced. I suppose the police, or whoever, could come knock on the door, but that would be a huge commitment of resources.

Question: Is there any good reason why people in this situation should not be able to pay for a molecular exam a few days after arrival (exams to be given by a pre-selected, authorized group of laboratories) and if the results come back negative, they'd be allowed to truncate their quarantine?
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:29 am

alan wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:But wouldn't they be infecting and putting people in danger on their way to their home? What about the people they come in contact with, on the way to their home? Or are the travelers and the ones they contact with immune to the scamdemic?

Overall, it seems to be a smaller risk

What do you consider a "smaller risk"? One person getting infected would be one too many. All it takes is one infection and it is DEATH.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 pm

alan wrote:
noclevername wrote:As far as the US, the President has been saying that they're 'turning the corner.' Of course he doesn't say that the turn leads smack into a giant dumpster fire.

Quite a few dumpster fires these days in the USA. It is very sad to watch.

But speaking of the quarantine, I have relatives who have just arrived and are locked down in Lima. They, like a lot of visitors, don't have a land line telephone at hand, so it makes me wonder how this quarantine can enforced. I suppose the police, or whoever, could come knock on the door, but that would be a huge commitment of resources.

Question: Is there any good reason why people in this situation should not be able to pay for a molecular exam a few days after arrival (exams to be given by a pre-selected, authorized group of laboratories) and if the results come back negative, they'd be allowed to truncate their quarantine?

Possible Answer: Not necessarily a good reason, but because allowing people in that situation to do so makes perfect, logical sense, and if there's anything beurocratic govt. hates it's anything that makes sense, is easy to do, and most importantly cuts them out of the loop?

Also, lol at the thought of any kind enforcement.

Finally, it is indeed very sad to watch what's happening in the US right now. Not just now, but over the entire past four years, though this past week probably more so than before with Trump caught on tape trying to steal the election by pressuring officials to find him the exact number of votes it would take for him to overturn the results and disenfranchise millions of voters, and then for inciting insurrection. So much for being a leading example of Democracy for the rest of the world. Glad I'm not there.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:53 pm

noclevername wrote:
alan wrote:

Possible Answer: Not necessarily a good reason, but because allowing people in that situation to do so makes perfect, logical sense, and if there's anything beurocratic govt. hates it's anything that makes sense, is easy to do, and most importantly cuts them out of the loop?

This rule was eventually ammended and those who have stayed for 6 days can get a test and be free from quarantine.

Now, here's a good one. A friend from the US just left Peru two days ago after a 9 day visit and was nearly denied exit because -she was told - she hadn't stayed for the entire 14 day quarantine. She convinced them she could leave after showing the negative results for the molecular test, AND proof that she had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine before arriving in Peru.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Same thing happened to my brother in law who was back in Peru to renew his DNI. They had a problem with him leaving before his quarantine period ended. Made no sense to me. If quarantine is ultimately to protect Peruvians from the pandemic, why wouldn't they want people to leave Peru and go back to where they came from as soon as possible, even if that means leaving before the quarantine period is over?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register