Food and Health Issue...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Food and Health Issue...

Postby johnstar » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 am

Hola everyone,

I have been in Lima for five days now and everything is going well apart from problems with the Peruvian food...

Im in Lima so there is no altitude sickness involved but so far i havent really been able to eat too much, just things like half a chifa rice dish, some anticuchos and potatoes and KFC chicken which is really unlike me as when im back home in England i dont stop eating and almost always feel a little bit hungry. I've been drinking some herbal drinks called "Herbi Anis" but so far it doesnt seem to have remedied the problem.

I know its very hot here at the moment but im also feeling quite fatigued for no good reason so im wondering if i should go out and exercise or something to try and stop myself feeling so tired during the day.

Has anyone else from UK or Europe had similar problems when in Peru?

Any comments welcome

Muchas Gracias, John

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
Corsaire

Postby Corsaire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:57 am

Hi John,

Welcome to Lima. Weird, but I´ve been feeling sort of the same way, I arrived last Saturday but the slugginess won´t quite go away, I think it´s the heat as there´s no real relief anywhere you go. And if you find an A/C place, it doesn´t quite cool you down!
I´ve started to take more frequent showers and that seems to help a bit.

Brian :roll:
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:23 am

Sorry to hear about the sickness. Seems to be common with people coming in the summer months. I'm just the opposite. It's the winter months that make me sick.

One big recommendation that I can make is don't eat KFC and don't eat Chifa. I always get sick when I eat this type of food. They have lots of oil, which isn't good for you.

Best bet, eat fruits like watermelon or mango as these have a lot water and are naturally refreshing.

Also eat boiled meat if you want to eat meats like Chicken and Beef. It's much more healthier and easier on the body.

You may also want to consider going to the pharmacy and ask them for a pill if you suffer from nausea. I do this and it works with me.

That's the best I can recommend from my own experiences here.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:39 am

WHAT KFC and Chifa in Peru Rules BE More Careful with The Chifa IN Bolivia,,, Now that Chifa OR A lot of Bolivian Food watch out for but in general Peruvian Food its Rare to get sick from....
rgamarra wrote:Sorry to hear about the sickness. Seems to be common with people coming in the summer months. I'm just the opposite. It's the winter months that make me sick.

One big recommendation that I can make is don't eat KFC and don't eat Chifa. I always get sick when I eat this type of food. They have lots of oil, which isn't good for you.

Best bet, eat fruits like watermelon or mango as these have a lot water and are naturally refreshing.

Also eat boiled meat if you want to eat meats like Chicken and Beef. It's much more healthier and easier on the body.

You may also want to consider going to the pharmacy and ask them for a pill if you suffer from nausea. I do this and it works with me.

That's the best I can recommend from my own experiences here.
sydkym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sydkym » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:57 am

Definitely don´t be eating out if you´re not feeling well. Try to cook as much food as you can on your own, or try to go to places that offer more natural foods. That´s all I can offer, seeing that I´ve been here for 8 months now and I still suffer´at least once a week. How long are you here for?
Remy

Re: Food and Health Issue...

Postby Remy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:02 am

johnstar wrote: tired during the day.

Has anyone else from UK or Europe had similar problems when in Peru?

Any comments welcome

Muchas Gracias, John

This sounds a lot like jetlag combined with the heat and quite heavy and salty Peruvian kitchen. When I was here for the first time I considered everything as being salty and the weird rice/potato combination made me feel full very quickly.

Chifa, antichuchos and pollo ala brasa are things to avoid at the beginning, because either they are heavy on the stomach or they were made with little hygiene on mind You should try to eat light and don't go to places where you can get menus for less than S./10. Buying your food in supermarkets and preparing them at home is the best.
suecote
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby suecote » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:07 am

I would attribute the fatigue to the lethal cocktail of heat+humudity. I can sit perfectly still and sweat through my pants, not because of the temperature, but because of the 90% humidity. At times I struggle to catch my breath, my lungs are expecting oxygen but the H2O balance is out of whack. When ever I've been to Asia before where the climate is similar, I've been drinking like a sponge, but eating very light. Quite frankly, the high humidity just sucks the energy right out of me.

Don't trust the big chains here (KFC, McD's, BK), the standards of hygiene are still Peruvian, and they don't necessarily cook the meat properly. I've had many a piece of meat and chicken at these places, still pink inside. So far no major upset, but I feel I'm living on borrowed time.

By the same token, I tend to eat at cheapo Peruvian restaurants, where you can get lunch from 5 soles, and again, so far so good. Don't know if I'm already used to Peruvian bacteria, or if a year in Mexico has made me immune to anything! :lol:

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

YEH Really Weird Peruvian Food is pretty good maybe your not accustomed to Latino Food,, I for sure Am,, So its strange to Me How You got Sick From Peruvian Food.. I have had a friend of mine from Sao Paulo Brazil too Sick from Food in Peru And He Hated Peruvian Food too.. OK Then for each his own I Guess,, Yeh Very Strange indeed...
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks ever so much everyone for some great feedback...

Im here for six months and have only just arrived so i did expect some difficulties in the beginning especially with my stomach and food consumption, i personally am a big fan of Peruvian food and have eaten in the past things like Pollo, Papa a la Huancaina, Cuy chatado, Arroz, Anticuchos, Chicarrones etc and those are the foods i enjoy the most and i always look forward to eating out, however as its now my fifth day here and my appetite still isnt anywhere near what it can be i agree that i should focus more on home cooking and buying a lot of fruit like watermelon, mango and so on...i have a Plaza Vea store just over the road so i'll get some fresh food in this afternoon.

Also i have some ham slices and sausages that need to be eaten (fried with cooking oil) at some point today, is this likely to have a bad effect or is fried meats generally ok? and the same for pasta (boiled) with tomato sauce?

I also have some diahorria tablets but ive not suffered with that yet, just more a case of severe lack of hunger and stomach feeling full when really ive more or less eaten nothing....after i ate some boiled meats with jacket potatoes a few days ago i felt strangely nauseous and was sick right before a meal with my girlfriends parents and consequently i just picked at a few chips and bits of meat which was a real shame, but anyway i will see how things go over the next week or so and report back on the effects of home cooking.

Many thanks again

John
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:32 pm

COming from China I didn't have problems, guess I've got a strong stomach. though there are a few new people at our school who have had similar problems.

Try
cooking your own food
Washing fruits and veggies with salt or an iodine solution.
Drinking bottled water
Brushing teeth with bottled water
Staying away from Air Con
Not drinking too much alcohol
Staying away from fatty, or salty foods.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:55 pm

naturegirl wrote:COming from China I didn't have problems, guess I've got a strong stomach. though there are a few new people at our school who have had similar problems.

Try
cooking your own food
Washing fruits and veggies with salt or an iodine solution.
Drinking bottled water
Brushing teeth with bottled water
Staying away from Air Con
Not drinking too much alcohol
Staying away from fatty, or salty foods.

Mentioning A/C, I went to Jockey Plaza after having stayed in a house in Chorrillos for a couple of months w/no A/C. I began sneezing A LOT, my husband was with me and I asked him what he thinks it could be, he says, "It's the A/C." Sure enough he was right, when I returned to Florida (where A/C is compulsory) I was sneezing my head off for the longest of times.

A/C can be evil. :twisted:
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Air Con gives me headaches and body aches.
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Food and Health Issues

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Friends, First with A/C. There are filters that need to be cleaned and disinfected. These are perfect breeding grounds in the climate of Peru. Molds, Bacteria find this damp area like being on the Riviera. The A/C introduces these little buggers and this is what causes all the problems. Second, Watch the fresh fruit , Make a solution of 1 spoon full of Bleach with a gallon of water. Use this to wash your fruits and veggies, than use a little bottled water to flush the solution off. Don't buy fruits with a damaged outer skin. Good Luck My friend and watch the street vendors. Try the local Farmacia, describe the symptoms and usually the will give you something that will help you. This worked for me . Take Care Dan
Steeler Fan
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm

johnstar wrote:Thanks ever so much everyone for some great feedback...

Im here for six months and have only just arrived so i did expect some difficulties in the beginning especially with my stomach and food consumption, i personally am a big fan of Peruvian food and have eaten in the past things like Pollo, Papa a la Huancaina, Cuy chatado, Arroz, Anticuchos, Chicarrones etc and those are the foods i enjoy the most and i always look forward to eating out, however as its now my fifth day here and my appetite still isnt anywhere near what it can be i agree that i should focus more on home cooking and buying a lot of fruit like watermelon, mango and so on...i have a Plaza Vea store just over the road so i'll get some fresh food in this afternoon.

Also i have some ham slices and sausages that need to be eaten (fried with cooking oil) at some point today, is this likely to have a bad effect or is fried meats generally ok? and the same for pasta (boiled) with tomato sauce?

I also have some diahorria tablets but ive not suffered with that yet, just more a case of severe lack of hunger and stomach feeling full when really ive more or less eaten nothing....after i ate some boiled meats with jacket potatoes a few days ago i felt strangely nauseous and was sick right before a meal with my girlfriends parents and consequently i just picked at a few chips and bits of meat which was a real shame, but anyway i will see how things go over the next week or so and report back on the effects of home cooking.

Many thanks again

John

I feel for you! if you read my old posts, I have been very sick .....but your diet!!! LOL, you must change immediately your eating habits.

One thing I realized, even though I was avoiding 'raw' foods, i.e. salad, ceviche, cut-up fruits (at restaurants), I was still eating fried foods (french fries, jaleas, fish, chicken, etc). The oil, the quality of the oil differs greatly than what you are used back home. So, you feel like you are not digesting your food, you go from breakfast to lunch and still not hungry, something heavy.

Cut down on fried foods (which are delicious, I know), and clean a little bit your system with Agua con Gas, or even better if a nice Alka Seltzer, something carbonated (helps with the burpies) . I got help formy son at the pharmacy for indigestion, gas, etc.
You don't have to have the runs, to experience heavy indigestion like yours. Go to the pharmacy, and describe your symptons, they are pretty good (they did it for me and my son twice), and try not to take anti-diarrhea (sp) pills, if possible, so your system gets cleaned naturally.

Hope you feel better!!!

Mammalu
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm very sensitive to food, especially oily food. Years of a bad American diet have done in my kidneys.

Anyway, my husband tells me all the time that I should drink emoliente. It naturally cleanses your system.

I also recommend Coca tea w/Baldo. This helps me a lot when my system is feeling bad.

I used to hate tea, but now if I drink tea I only drink Coca based tea. I prefer the flavor.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 pm

WOW yeh after fast food nation after I saw that movie I quit eating at burger king and mcdonalds,, then wendys and a few months ago arbys,I have been free of that garbage for over 6 months more or less....
rgamarra wrote:I'm very sensitive to food, especially oily food. Years of a bad American diet have done in my kidneys.

Anyway, my husband tells me all the time that I should drink emoliente. It naturally cleanses your system.

I also recommend Coca tea w/Baldo. This helps me a lot when my system is feeling bad.

I used to hate tea, but now if I drink tea I only drink Coca based tea. I prefer the flavor.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Try also peeling the skin off fruits.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 am

naturegirl wrote:Try also peeling the skin off fruits.

The skins are very nutritious, but I know that everyone doesn't like to eat them. It's best that you wash the skins very well if you are going to eat it.

Also I noticed that even if Peruvians are not going to eat the skins that they still wash the fruit very well on the outside before peeling it to eat it.

Baking soda is another you can use to wash fruit.
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Food and Health issues.

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:21 pm

I never got sick eating out, because I go with my Peruvian friends. If they say don't go . I don't go. All the times there in Peru only sick once from the fruit. Street Vendor. You Will Survive. Take Care Dan
Steeler Fan
Remy

Postby Remy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:12 pm

rgamarra wrote:Mentioning A/C, I went to Jockey Plaza after having stayed in a house in Chorrillos for a couple of months w/no A/C. I began sneezing A LOT, my husband was with me and I asked him what he thinks it could be, he says, "It's the A/C."

Well, the A/C is world's best bacteria/germ distributor! If one has a cold, it will circulate all over the place.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I would suggest drinking lots of bottled water and going to a good supermarket and pick out some goods cans of soup or broth. I would eat this with bread or saltine crackers.

As for the sluggishness, it may be the high level of contaminants in the air. We are in a valley and all of the carbon monoxide from the exhaust doesn't really just blow away.

You may try getting close to the coast and keep that water flowing.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Hola all,

A few days have passed now and my stomach is much more settled, i had a big family dinner a few days ago and more or less ate corn with anticucho meat, some cake and also a green herbal drink, and besides a hot dog at the cinema ive eaten only home cooked meals and i think this is a winning formula, im drink bottled drinks with and without gas plus a few fizzy ones too and so far so good, i've avoided eating out and will do that once ive been here a few more weeks, thanks again for all the advice

John
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Glad to hear that your tummy is on the up and up. :D
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Glad you are doing better. Please no more hotdogs!! Home-cooked meals, that is the way to go.

Take Care
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:01 pm

mammalu wrote:Glad you are doing better. Please no more hotdogs!! Home-cooked meals, that is the way to go.

Take Care

If you knew what was in a hotdog you wouldn't eat it. Same goes for marshmellows.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 pm

naturegirl wrote:
mammalu wrote:Glad you are doing better. Please no more hotdogs!! Home-cooked meals, that is the way to go.

Take Care

If you knew what was in a hotdog you wouldn't eat it. Same goes for marshmellows.

Okay, I must know. You have my curiosity by the ear.
What is in a marshmallow?
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:17 pm

rgamarra wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

Take Care

I don't know :oops: I was just told that. Look at the ingredients, that's scary enough
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 pm

naturegirl wrote:
rgamarra wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

Take Care

I don't know :oops: I was just told that. Look at the ingredients, that's scary enough

LOL. Well all I know about Marshmallows being forbidden food is that vegetarians are not supposed to eat marshmallows b/c of some sort of ingredient in there.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Milk? Honey?
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 pm

naturegirl wrote:
rgamarra wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

Take Care

NG, you are to much!!! My husband and I are laughing so hard.
That was a good one! Ah! I can prepare also a mean Candied Yams with lots of awful little marshmallows on top!

BTW, I will sneak your link into my website, I am not supposed to do, as I am a Y! official store. Let me work it out ok?

Mammalu
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:19 pm

mammalu wrote:BTW, I will sneak your link into my website, I am not supposed to do, as I am a Y! official store. Let me work it out ok?

Mammalu

Thanks a lot. Why don't they let Y! officila stores put in blogspots? How do I become a Y! official store?
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:21 pm

naturegirl wrote:
mammalu wrote:BTW, I will sneak your link into my website, I am not supposed to do, as I am a Y! official store. Let me work it out ok?

Mammalu

Thanks a lot. Why don't they let Y! officila stores put in blogspots? How do I become a Y! official store?

I will PM you.
David

Postby David » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:24 am

naturegirl wrote:
rgamarra wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

Take Care

Marshmallows are made from beaten egg whites, gelatin, and sugar syrup. Commercial companies add preservatives and other sweeteners but this is a basic receipt.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:50 am

I guess it must be the gelatin and preservatives.
Remy

Postby Remy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:56 am

johnstar wrote:Hola all,

A few days have passed now and my stomach is much more settled, i had a big family dinner a few days ago and more or less ate corn with anticucho meat, some cake and also a green herbal drink, and besides a hot dog at the cinema ive eaten only home cooked meals and i think this is a winning formula, im drink bottled drinks with and without gas plus a few fizzy ones too and so far so good, i've avoided eating out and will do that once ive been here a few more weeks, thanks again for all the advice

John

Herbal teas are great! Coca, (pepper)mint and most of all anise. In Holland it's very common that children drink milk with a lump of sugared anise and my mom sends me the stuff for my youngster. Without exaggeration, she has never had any stomach problems.

Anyway, good to that you're feeling better, but beware of those anticuchos!
Mark Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Food and Health Issues

Postby Mark Smith » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 pm

[quote="Dan Bonenberger"]Second, Watch the fresh fruit , Make a solution of 1 spoon full of Bleach with a gallon of water. Use this to wash your fruits and veggies, than use a little bottled water to flush the solution off./quote]

Always wash fruit and veggies but be careful with bleach. Chlorine is a carcinogen. Chlorine is also very aggressive in the environment, from manufacturing and bottling through going down your sink. If you thoroughly wash the fruit/veggies after the bleach you'll be fine but you can also use less aggressive sanitizing agents (that are also more environmentally friendly). Grape seed extract or citrus-based veggie cleaning solutions (the latter is available in local supermerados) work very well with none of the negatives of chlorine.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Mark Smith wrote:
Dan Bonenberger wrote:Second, Watch the fresh fruit , Make a solution of 1 spoon full of Bleach with a gallon of water. Use this to wash your fruits and veggies, than use a little bottled water to flush the solution off./quote]

Always wash fruit and veggies but be careful with bleach. Chlorine is a carcinogen. Chlorine is also very aggressive in the environment, from manufacturing and bottling through going down your sink. If you thoroughly wash the fruit/veggies after the bleach you'll be fine but you can also use less aggressive sanitizing agents (that are also more environmentally friendly). Grape seed extract or citrus-based veggie cleaning solutions (the latter is available in local supermerados) work very well with none of the negatives of chlorine.

What about the iodine drops my Mom used to put in the water, and let the fruit, strawberries or lettuces rest for 5 minutes, then rinse again? Is that fine? I never got sick....but wonder how that would affect the environment, going down the drain.

Here back home, my lawn is ok, but not beautiful, as I consider it sacrilegous to use chemicals/pesticides/fertilizers to have a 'golf' quality lawn. My neighbors recommended their landscaper to us, no way, we know these pesticides cause so much damage. And some of my neighbors only have access to well water..:shock:
Mark Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mark Smith » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 pm

[quote="mammalu"] What about the iodine drops my Mom used to put in the water, and let the fruit, strawberries or lettuces rest for 5 minutes, then rinse again? Is that fine? I never got sick....but wonder how that would affect the environment, going down the drain. /quote]

Iodine should be very effective in cleaning veggies and a lot less risky (not a carcenogen). It's about as aggressive in the environment at chlorine BUT the cumulative effect is much smaller because there are very few sources of iodine contamination whereas chlorine is everywhere. So on that factor I'd think iodine would be better environmentally too. But, not as good as the totally natural sanitizers (citrus-or grape-seed-extract-based cleansers).

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register