Must see and must do?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Must see and must do?

Postby johnstar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Hola a todos,

Im going to remain here in Peru for another 6 weeks approximately and i want to know what things you'd recommend to see and do whether it be dining out, clubs, parks, famous sites, landmarks, walks etc?

For example ive now seen el parque de la amistad, rode along the Malecon in Miraflores, been to the zoo de la leyendas in San Miguel and yesterday passed through the awesome parque de la reserva by the estadio nacional and all of this was really enjoyable.

ive heard there is a port (el puerto) to visit in Callao and today im going to Lima Centre so are there any performances to see by the plaza mayor, famous buildings, parks, etc? What are some of the best things you've seen and done here?

Thanks )

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
Celtic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Celtic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Go and watch the Monk cliff dive in Chorrillos. El Salto del Fraile is the place.
sydkym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sydkym » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:29 pm

There are a lot of Huacas in Lima, and they might not seem that exciting, but I enjoyed the main one called Huaca Pucyana in Miraflores. Did you see the fountains at night at the Parque de la Reserva? They are very nice!!! There´s another zoo--Huacachipa, way out of the way, but very nice! Also, Las Catacoombas in the Convent of San Francisco are interesting. Pachacamac is nice, on the Panamerica Sur, but parts of it are now restricted since the earthquake.

Rachel´s tour of Chorillos was very fun and you can go to her website www.limalikealocal.blogspot.com to check it out.

If you want to take a day tour, going to Ica or Paracas is very nice as well!
Corsaire

Postby Corsaire » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Visiting places off the tourist beating path can be interesting as well, like
Gamarrra, Polvos Azules, Polvos Rosados, El Hueco, etc, etc, you would see a side of Lima most don't. Just go very low profile.

Brian
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:26 pm

Central Lima is pretty cool, and like Corsaire said, keep a very low profile. You may want to visit the Museum of Italian Art, the catacombs, Cerro San Cristobal, Parque de La Muralla and the rather disturbing, to say the least, Inquisition museum.
Corsaire

Postby Corsaire » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 pm

>>>> Central Lima is pretty cool, and like Corsaire said, keep a very low profile. You may want to visit the Museum of Italian Art, the catacombs, Cerro San Cristobal, Parque de La Muralla and the rather disturbing, to say the least, Inquisition museum. <<<<<

BTW, when I visited Plaza de Armas (Lima Center), where the Goverment Palace is I saw they have mini tours to Cerro San Cristobal from there, on a good clear day you can have a very extended visibility of whole Lima, plus they have up there a Cafe / Deli, and it's only S/. 5 or 7 soles round trip, can't beat that.

Brian
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

It's 5 soles round-trip and it's not a bad tour until the bus starts going uphill through that rather sketchy neighborhood. The tour guide always advices the crowed to slide the windows shut as people have a tendency to reach into the bus and steal stuff :shock:

Visibility may not be very good this time of year.....
Suzanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Suzanne » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:11 pm

I very much enjoyed the Convento de los Descalzos in Rimac, near the centre of Lima - take a taxi there and back. Rather in need of restoration, but worth a visit.

Also, yesterday we went on a boat trip (half an hour) at Pantanos de Villa - wetlands with many birds of interest and no flies at the moment. You can also do a guided walking tour there. It's beside the coast in Chorrillos (not sure about public transport, but have read 3 different combis go there) beside Encantada de Villa. Our boatman was a biology student and was well informed on the plants and birds.

I like the Plaza de Armas in Surco - take a bus to the bottom end of Avenida Ayacucho from Benavides and then it's a couple of blocks further. You feel as if you are in the provinces although are only 10 minutes away from Benavides. You can have some wine (Surco has some wine growing areas) and anticuchos, or the well publicised Surquino breakfast (I haven't tried it yet).

Peruvian poet Ricardo Palma's house is interesting I am told - very near the Indian Market in Petit Thouars.

If you haven't already been on the Mirabus in Miraflores I would recommend it. The starting point is beside Hiraoka/Indian Market in Petit Thouars. Sit on the top deck for great views, particularly of the Huaca Pucllana from above.

Happy sightseeing!
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 am

For 5 Soles you can take a 15-20 minute boat ride in Chorrillos from the Municipal Fish Market you go to the pier and take up the fisherman on his offer. You only do this if A.) You have a friend with you and B.) This friend is preferably Peruvian.

Also, to be biased, you could do my Historical Walking Tour or take a Workshop through Lima Like a Local. :wink:

Currently I do not have any tours programmed; at this time I am restructuring to improve the quality and the packages. Fingers crossed May and June tours and workshops will re-commence.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot, great response and i'll try as many of those as possible, the walk through Surco will be a must as i live close by to the Plaza de Armas, and ive seen the Indian Mercado on Petit Thouares which i'll also pay a visit to, and you are quite right about the tours from Lima main square even though it may be a tad bumpy for five soles cant be bettered!

Gracias )
Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Great thread - not just things close by, but relatively inexpensive. Thanks for some great ideas of things I can do with my kids :)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register