Departing Peru...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Departing Peru...

Postby johnstar » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the regulations at Jorge Chavez Airport. I've been here almost three months and i will leave Peru on monday 9th June, however im a bit unsure about what i can carry in my hand luggage...for example i bought a ton of gifts from the Petit Thouares Indian Market this week including a bottle of Pisco pure and also a lovely sculptured knife which unless you remove the top half you cant instantly tell its a knife and i would prefer to carry those two items in my hand luggage to avoid them being smashed to pieces but on the other hand i dont want them confiscated by the security guys, does anyone think there would be a huge problem taking these in hand luggage as both items would be boxed or wrapped??

My second comment isnt a concern but i was just wondering how much the international outbound tax is nowadays?? last time i left i think it was about 25 dollars, is this still the same??

Also i think my total stay in days will be 91 or 92 so i will report back as to the fines that get implemented if any at all when i arrive home.

Many thanks )

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Your best bet is to call the airlines and not rely on what others say here as these things seem to change.

As far as the tax, it is about $30 or 100 soles more or less.

http://www.lap.com.pe/tuua.html
Mark Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Departing Peru...

Postby Mark Smith » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:18 pm

[quote="johnstar"]Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the regulations at Jorge Chavez Airport. I've been here almost three months and i will leave Peru on monday 9th June, however im a bit unsure about what i can carry in my hand luggage...for example i bought a ton of gifts from the Petit Thouares Indian Market this week including a bottle of Pisco pure and also a lovely sculptured knife which unless you remove the top half you cant instantly tell its a knife and i would prefer to carry those two items in my hand luggage to avoid them being smashed to pieces but on the other hand i dont want them confiscated by the security guys, does anyone think there would be a huge problem taking these in hand luggage as both items would be boxed or wrapped??

My second comment isnt a concern but i was just wondering how much the international outbound tax is nowadays?? last time i left i think it was about 25 dollars, is this still the same??
/quote]

Tax: $30.25 (last time i paid, about a month ago.

Carry-on: generally the same rules as in the US. NO liquids over 100ml per bottle. NO knives or anything like that (decorative or not). If you put those in your carry on they'll almost certainly be taken away by security.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 pm

My general rule of thumb:

If I'm not 100% sure it can go in the carry-on then it goes in the check-in. The airport is stressful enough, you don't need the extra hassle of them confiscating your souvenirs.

I wish they would just include those taxes in the tickets like the U.S. does. They could also eliminate a number of ridiculous queues.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:20 pm

Forget liquids or knives. You're only allowed a bit, just put it in your check in.
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sonia » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:24 pm

deleted by sonia
Last edited by sonia on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 pm

The last two times I traveled they had already included the taxes in my ticket. In fact, there was no line at the tax place in the airport.

Lastly, I've carried a water bottle every time I've flown (3 times last year) to the US from Lima. Just buy it after entering the gates and place it in your carry on. If they search it they may ask you to remove it, but generally it isn't a problem.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 pm

I always smuggle my gate-bought water on board, too. When you travel with kids they normally don't dig deep enough in a diaper bag to notice.

My daughter did throw a fit in FLL airport when I had to dump her juice. I don't get why you can't bring your soda / juices / waters past security, but YOU CAN buy the same over-inflated pricey item right after.

They do everything they can to make sure they take all your money and give you nothing back for it.

Prices in Jorge Chavez used to not be so high, but the last time I flew out in Feb. they had gone nearly through the roof. I can't even buy a decent souvenir now.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Probably because the stuff they sell in the airport is safe. There are crazy people who put strange stuff in baby bottles, etc.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 pm

American Airlines (the company, not just American airlines in general) includes the Peru departure tax in the price of the ticket. As far as I know from the last time I flew, they were the only airline doing it.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks everyone for commenting, and yes the logic would say put it in the case during check in, despite the obvious risk of things getting broken, however im almost certain that last time (December 2006) i took two sealed bottles of Pisco and about 4 small cans of beer through the security as i drank them before boarding the plane, now i can see why the beer was ok as its sealed and whether i was lucky or not i dont know but i remember having the pisco on board with me as i knew it was fragile and i didnt want them to smash in the case.

However i can see by comments about various things at the Airport with security that things have changed a lot so i'll pack it in the case and then at least i have a chance of the gifts being in one piece when i arrive back home.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:05 am

things have changed since then. Now mmost places just allow a couple ounces of liquid.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 am

Back in 2006 I was also able to carry cans of beer, etc. on board, now things have drastically changed. If you want to carry it on with you then you will have to pay the premium for the privilege by purchasing it in the gift shops by the gate.
sabroso164
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sabroso164 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 am

Kelly wrote:American Airlines (the company, not just American airlines in general) includes the Peru departure tax in the price of the ticket. As far as I know from the last time I flew, they were the only airline doing it.

You are absolutely correct, and American Airlines is the only airline that includes the $30 or so airport departure fee in their prices. Bear this in mind when comparison shopping for tickets!

Forget trying to smuggle "contraband" items on-board in carry-on baggage or on your person. YOU WILL BE CAUGHT! They are super careful on international flights, thanks to U.S. regulations. On the other hand, on national flights you can get away with a few more things, but never with the regulation on liquids or weapons.

Don't ask me what I have tried to carry on board, but I can tell you that they have confiscated up to tiny sachet packets of shampoo because they were not inside the stupid plastic bag that is stipulated in the rules! On the other hand, oddly enough, they have never confiscated any coca leaf products I have carried in hand baggage. Just imagine their single-mindedness ... but the coca leaf products are definitely contraband, too.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Coca leaf products are not contraband. I've been inspected by U.S. Customs before and when they looked at all the Coca products I brought back they placed it right back in the bag and then continued pulling out all the liquor I brought back.

The liquor was more of a problem than the coca products. I thought that it would have been vice versa.

And this was the MIA airport.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 pm

Again very interesting, well at least i know what to expect now, also i was going to take some peruvian tea, packets of masamorra chica dessert etc but again it looks safer to pack those things in with the check-in baggage, so at this rate i will be carrying just a couple of books )
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:29 pm

johnstar wrote:Thanks everyone for commenting, and yes the logic would say put it in the case during check in, despite the obvious risk of things getting broken, however im almost certain that last time (December 2006) i took two sealed bottles of Pisco and about 4 small cans of beer through the security as i drank them before boarding the plane, now i can see why the beer was ok as its sealed and whether i was lucky or not i dont know but i remember having the pisco on board with me as i knew it was fragile and i didnt want them to smash in the case.

However i can see by comments about various things at the Airport with security that things have changed a lot so i'll pack it in the case and then at least i have a chance of the gifts being in one piece when i arrive back home.

If you are flying back to the UK you will have to put any drinks you have bought in your checked in luggage. I fell foul of this last time I returned from Lima to Manchester. I thought I was doing the correct thing by buying my Pisco from the airport shop, they were happy to sell me 2 bottles after checking my boarding pass, which they sealed in a bag which also contained the receipt. I carried this onto the plane at lima without question but when I was boarding the connecting flight from Amsterdam to Manchester the bottles were taken from me, I argued my corner but had to give in or miss my flight.
The first thing I did when I got into my house was turn on my computer and check the KLM web site where the current law is stated in small print.
Any such liquids bought outside an EU country must be carried in your checked luggage otherwise it will be confiscated when you board your connecting flight or pass through customs at Amsterdam or any other European airport. I am still stinging from the experience to this day.
Pack it well and keep your fingers crossed.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:06 pm

I normally lose a number of bottles (beer and liquor) due to "handling," despite wrapping and padding it as much as I can. I don't like beer and I don't like my clothes reeking of it.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:26 pm

[quote="rgamarra"]I normally lose a number of bottles (beer and liquor) due to "handling," despite wrapping and padding it as much as I can. I don't like beer and I don't like my clothes reeking of it.

:roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote}
There are several brands of Pisco that come packaged in a tall tin and travel well in your suitcase.
If you are not prepared to take the risk of breakages then the only answer if you are entering the UK is not to bother at all, I would sooner risk stinking of Pisco rather than hand the bottle to some security guard who probably has more drink at his house than Vivanda, Wong and Metro put together.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks a lot Mark, i am indeed flying to the UK to London Heathrow and im really shocked that you carried the drinks from Peru to Amsterdam only for them to confiscate it, however i think it proves that when inside Europe you'll never get away with carrying any drinks or liquids no matter which country you're in. I'll just stick it all in the case and hope for the best!!
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sonia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:50 pm

We found that the best way to bring bottles of wine or pisco back to the US from Peru is to:

1. go to a wine and liquor store in the US and ask to buy the stryrofoam containers that the store receives its wine in. They are styrofoam containers with indentations to fit wine bottles in snugly. Some stores will give them away for free; others charge a few dollars.

2. These we pack with own belongins and place in our checked in luggage on the way down to Lima.

3. In Lima, we buy our favorite wines and pisco and we pack them in the styrofoam containers. The styrofoam containers travel in our checked in luggage on the way back to the States.

We have done this many times and never, never have had a broken bottle! Better yet, we have never had to give up a bottle of wine or pisco to the security personnel at the airport!

Sonia
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:08 pm

sonia wrote:We found that the best way to bring bottles of wine or pisco back to the US from Peru is to:

1. go to a wine and liquor store in the US and ask to buy the stryrofoam containers that the store receives its wine in. They are styrofoam containers with indentations to fit wine bottles in snugly. Some stores will give them away for free; others charge a few dollars.

2. These we pack with own belongins and place in our checked in luggage on the way down to Lima.

3. In Lima, we buy our favorite wines and pisco and we pack them in the styrofoam containers. The styrofoam containers travel in our checked in luggage on the way back to the States.

We have done this many times and never, never have had a broken bottle! Better yet, we have never had to give up a bottle of wine or pisco to the security personnel at the airport!

Sonia

Johnstar is flying to the UK where the rules and regulations are somewhat different to those in America.
What was most annoying about my experience was the fact that the girl on the till at the airport shop in Lima asked for my boarding pass, inspected it, sealed the 2 bottles in a clear plastic bag together with the receipt knowing where I was flying to but didnt tell me that I could not carry the bottles onto the plane from Amsterdam to Manchester. I would have expected her to be aware of the up to date regulations, then again she was probably just happy to have taken 150 Soles from me and a had a quiet laugh to herself.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:23 am

markr wrote:
sonia wrote:We found that the best way to bring bottles of wine or pisco back to the US from Peru is to:

Sonia

Johnstar is flying to the UK where the rules and regulations are somewhat different to those in America.
What was most annoying about my experience was the fact that the girl on the till at the airport shop in Lima asked for my boarding pass, inspected it, sealed the 2 bottles in a clear plastic bag together with the receipt knowing where I was flying to but didnt tell me that I could not carry the bottles onto the plane from Amsterdam to Manchester. I would have expected her to be aware of the up to date regulations, then again she was probably just happy to have taken 150 Soles from me and a had a quiet laugh to herself.

I'm not sure you can expect a store clerk to inform you (or even know them) about the airline regulations to various countries.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:59 am

We went to the Islands last year and totally forgot (and store owner in Saint Thomas didn't remind us) about the ban on liquids. A case of assorted liquors, was delivered to our Cruise cabin.

At San Juan (PR) airport, we tried to bring the box as carry-on, we were reminded of the restriction (Wow, it totally slipped our minds!)

We had to open our luggage, wrap each botte (I believe they were 9?) in towels, clothing...sheer panic. We were so lucky! all bottles arrived fine at Newark Airport. Plain good luck!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register