Satellite versus Cable including Internet Question

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Satellite versus Cable including Internet Question

Postby cajun jamie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 am

I've read the posts about Direct TV and the sports packages etc. I have a few questions please:

1- Is DirectTV the only option, or is there Dish Network here as well?

2- What is the current price to install the equipment, and what is the current price for basic and expanded channels? I do not want sports channels.

3- If I want Internet, can I get it with satellite here?

Basically, I do not watch much TV at all. I use the Internet a lot. But, I just bought a new apartment and can either go cable or satellite. If the prices are about the same, I would like to go satellite. But, if the cable company has a package that includes cable and internet for a lot less than just satellite, I'll go that route.

Please advise. Thanks!

Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Satellite versus Cable including Internet Question

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am

cajun jamie wrote:1- Is DirectTV the only option, or is there Dish Network here as well?
DirecTV is the only satellite provider in Peru.

2- What is the current price to install the equipment, and what is the current price for basic and expanded channels? I do not want sports channels.
I have basic + extended (no HBO etc) and after taxes my total bill is $38 US/ month. I got a 2 receiver installation over a year ago for under $100. I had the dish installed 7 floors above me on the roof and there was a charge of 1 Sol per extra meter of cable. Prices may be different now. Just go to any Saga and find the DirecTV rep near the electronics section for the latest promotions. Also, http://www.directv.com.pe

3- If I want Internet, can I get it with satellite here?
I've never heard of it here in Peru. I don't recommend Sat internet when DSL is available. Latency is a killer using VOIP and gaming over sat internet. Sat internet should always be your LAST resort before dial up.

Basically, I do not watch much TV at all. I use the Internet a lot. But, I just bought a new apartment and can either go cable or satellite. If the prices are about the same, I would like to go satellite. But, if the cable company has a package that includes cable and internet for a lot less than just satellite, I'll go that route.

Look into Telmex Triple Play. Although there is an outrageous string attached to Telmex. Currently they claim they cannot install above the 4th floor of any building! My good expat friend was all setup to have 3Mb Triple Play installed and at the last was informed by Telmex they are in the middle of a legal battle with Telefonica to get the right to install above the 4th floor. They had to cancel the entire installation.

I have DirecTV plus 2Mb Telefonica DSL. As bad as Telefonica customer service is the internet has been reliable for 2.5 years. And I am probably the heaviest internet user in all of Lima

Please advise. Thanks!
Tony Gugino

Satellite service in Peru

Postby Tony Gugino » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Hello friends!
I would like to re-open the satellite question for Peru. Has anybody have any information on FTA “Free-to-air” or more satellite service available to Peru?
I have been spun around with 6 different appointments to get the “alleged” new decoder box from Cable Magico to finally find out that they say they don’t even have the boxes yet. But they managed to keep me stuck in my apartment anticipating its arrival for a more than a week before giving that information.
Cable Magico nor Directv Latin America would not have been a solution to my goal of receiving ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN Headline News, MSNBC, and so on that are not available here.
Since the PC based solution offers such low quality, I have concluded that satellite (other than Directv Latin America) is the only way to see channels from back home in the USA.
I would rather do everything on the “up and up” and not be actually stealing any signal. I am not sure why we can´t receive ABC, NBC and CBS anymore like we used to on Cable Magico years ago. It is very frustrating.
Are there any C band, FTA, or satellite service providers out there that sell new or preferably used equipment necessary?
I know that I will need a dish larger than the .90 meter dish that is commonly seen. I calculate that for my requirements I will need a 1.5 meter dish. See http://www.dishpointer.com/ it is a great site.
Tony G
cwcdavid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cwcdavid » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:39 am

* wonders if previous posters first post was related to his connection with linked site.

I have a question though.

Understand that directtv is someone you pay a subscription for a load of encoded (mainly US plus the bbc world, DW, TV5 type international) channels. They inlude the dish and receiver in an installation package.

Guess this is similar to the cablemagico offerring?

What happens if you just point a satellite?
Is there anything accessible from Peru that is not encoded?
Or is this illegal in Peru?
Can you even buy a dish and receiver without going through directtv?

I suspect I am going to opt for an old style arial and local channels only - there was simply nothing on cable magico worth paying for. More inclined to put effort into getting a proxy working so that BBC, Channel4 and other euro-TV play again services think I am a local IP and will let me watch their programs. Is Peruvial internet good enough to make that work?

What is anyone else doing?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am

I will stick with cable. I had a problem with directv pulling money out of my bank account (charged me double - almost $200.00) and it took 2 months for a refund. Direct TV charges directly to your credit/visa card.

I had to call back numerous times for them to release my money. I closed my account when I moved to the USA for a short time. My final month I paid my directv bill in the office in Lima, so I clould close the account before leaving Peru.

I prefer cable, weather affects satellite. I am here in the states and I just got rid of DirectV in my home because when the weather is bad I just sit waiting for the storm to pass to watch TV. That is what sucks about satellite. PLus internet over cable (when it arrives), has faster download speed.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:53 pm

I've had DirecTV a couple of years and I much prefer it to Cable. I pay cash so I've never had that billing issue. As to receiving American TV, the only thing I've heard is getting DirecTV to change your service address to Puerto Rico since they get all the American networks. I've been told they'd do this for an embassy employee but I've never actually heard of it being done. I'm watching my Steelers get man handled by the Giants right now. But having DirecTV gives me the opportunity to do that :)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register