Golf

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tejastom

Golf

Postby tejastom » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm

I am a former expat now living it Texas and will be visiting Lima Dec 22 - Jan 5. Anyone interesting in playing a round or two of golf? I am a country club member, golf coach and also work at a private golf club.

Thanks,
TejasTom
Handicap: 6

Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Tom,

I will be in Lima from the 12th to the 28th and would love to play! Let me know where and when.

Ron
tejastom

Postby tejastom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Ron,

December 23 or 24 would be good for me. I lived in Peru many years ago and didn't play golf. Therefore, I am not familiar with courses in Lima.

Maybe another expat is a country club member, would like to play or can recommend a place to play.

For others reading this reply, I will also be available for play January 2-6.

Thanks,
Tom
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:28 pm

There are no public courses in Lima so you will need to know a member. There is a course called Los Andes that is private outside of Lima near Chosica but I think they allow tourists to play. http://www.losandesgolfclub.org/ It's worth a look.

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and early January may be too soon to try golf. Otherwise I'd love to join you. I have had my clubs here in Lima 2+ years and have yet to do anything other than putt around my apartment.
tejastom

Postby tejastom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks for the tip on Los Andes Golf Club in Chosica. Hope you get back on the links soon.

Tom
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:58 am

Tom,

Why not send a note/e-mail/fax from your club president or yourself as a golf coach the three private clubs in Lima (Lima Golf, Golf Los Inkas and La Planicie) and see if they will let you on? I played Lima Golf last year as a guest of the Country Club Hotel and my caddy told me that all the golf clubs are dead in the summer because everyone goes to the beach. My wife and I only saw two other individuals during our round that day! These clubs may welcome the business.
gatorfire1997

Re: Golf

Postby gatorfire1997 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:48 pm

I have to concur with the dismal report about golf in Lima. There are several courses, that run the range from Mom/Pop 9 holer to resort quality 18 course. All but 2(?) of them are very private and exclusive. Unless you know someone on the inside that is waiting to take you as a guest-give up the idea of golf in Lima.You would think this is Augusta National or Pine Valley. I have been here three months and have been trying and searching for a course to play, without spending a 5 figure fee to join and high monthly dues. Is someone out there has found something different, please let us know. There is a fair sized group of people who would play, but are scared off by the extreme cost. I have seen a few of the courses from off-site and am amazed at the fact that there are no golfers on the course!
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Come to San Bartolo :D Now I have to say it's like playing is Saudi with out the money but if you are really jonesing to swing a stick, we have a golf course.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Only place I've played in Peru is Arequipa Golf Club outside of Arequipa. It was like S/70 + 50 tip to the caddy. It was an 18 hole course, very long and open. A few greens/tees were shared so it's almost obligatory to have a caddy to know what green you're aiming at. I'd say on its own it's a pure duffer's cow pasture as the greens are not great either but in its setting in the Andes with Misti in the background it's quite awesome. You also get a nice little boost to your drive distance with the elevation. First time in my life I was launching balls 300yds. If you go to Arequipa bring your clubs :)

Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm

You can check out the Peruvian Golf Federation.
http://www.fpg.org.pe/

See if they can help you out.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 am

Hello sanbartolian - where is the course? Is this the same club as Club de Golf de Hueso? The address for both of them are the same. :?:
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 am

Ron, the PGF was no help. Couldn't find any information on website about the courses.Although, I could have easily not seen the link.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 am

well, how about golf in the Amazon jungle jeje
there is a course outside of Iquitos
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 pm

gatorfire1997 wrote:Ron, the PGF was no help. Couldn't find any information on website about the courses.Although, I could have easily not seen the link.

Place the cursor on FPG tab and then click on "clubes"

Fausto
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 am

the course is my list of places to play while I am here!
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 am

FHCZ - found it!!! Wasn't getting all of the website the last I visited. Thanks.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Success! Played the Los Andes Golf Club last week. :D We got on as a friend of a friend of a member. Nice enough course and will go back when I can. That depends on the member and if they are willing to continue to host us.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Any pics? What were the greens like?
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Greens were very slow, still recovering from being 'punched'. They are bumpy and not smooth yet, but I think they will always be slow and on the best day, they will be smooth. Several putts bumped off-line because of the holes left from the green being 'punched'.

Have some, but do not know how to attach them.

Have heard that you can go the Country Club de Villa and pay the tourist rate of $100 and 50 sole for caddy. That will be next on the list. Are you playing anywhere here in Lima?
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm

So gatorfire, if I am moving to Peru for a year is it worth bringing my clubs? I love to play golf, although I'm not that good. I measure my score by how many balls I lose in a round, and a good outing for me is -6 (balls, that is). I probably only play 7-10 times a year.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Hey gatorfire. I used to be a member of Los Andes, and usually since the lima summer is their low season (most members go to the beach), I remember that the greens and fairways weren't always as good as in the winter. Still, it's not a bad a little course, and definitely the cheapest option if you want to become a member. They also used to offer temporary memberships... not sure if they still do though.

Another option is the Lima Golf Club. I know that guests at the Country Club Hotel can play there by paying a green fee. The course sucks though, very flat, not challenging at all.

I know Los Andes is considered one of the harder courses, because of the narrow fairways, and how it's constantly up & down, up & down.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am

alexPeru - Los Andes was a fun day. any new course is a challange. Have tried to contact Lima GC, but just can't seem to get any kind of response. We drove in one day to ask and the guards wouldn't let us in. I don't think he understand what we were asking. It may be treat some weekend to stay at the hotel at Lima and Los Incas for the chance to play the course.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 am

Tell the guards at the Lima Golf Club that you're going to the store. They should let you in, because the shop is open to non-members. In the shop you should be able to ask.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm

alexPeru, I will that next week. Thanks.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 pm

jcn7vc - have been out of town. If you are only coming for a year, I might suggest not brining clubs and if you get the chance to play, rent from the club. Unless you know some one on the inside of a club, it will be tough getting a tee time. You can play the $100 tourist rate at The Country Club de Villa. I have been here over 5 months and been able to play once. Up to now, I have been very disappointed above golf here.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

gatorfire1997 wrote:Greens were very slow, still recovering from being 'punched'. They are bumpy and not smooth yet, but I think they will always be slow and on the best day, they will be smooth. Several putts bumped off-line because of the holes left from the green being 'punched'.

Have some, but do not know how to attach them.

Have heard that you can go the Country Club de Villa and pay the tourist rate of $100 and 50 sole for caddy. That will be next on the list. Are you playing anywhere here in Lima?

I currently live in Canada, but play when I am in town, usually in December. I play at Lima Golf as I usually stay at the Country Club Hotel, but I have also played at Golf los Inkas. My brother-in-law has a friend that is a member. I would like to check out CC La Planicie. I heard they just built a new clubhouse and pool facilities.
www.clublaplanicie.org

The wife and I intend on moving back to Lima in the next few years and golf is one of the activities we will not compromise on.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 am

Ron, there are several of us trying to get a transient deal at La Planicie. We are not here long enough to make it worth paying the huge buy-in requested by the other clubs. If you moving here for good, then joining a club is an option. But, having someone on the inside will really help.
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 am

Several weeks ago, a group of expats presented a deal to the La Planicie for short term membership. Rough figures, the Club stood to have $5600USD/month in dues, working out to $67,000USD/yr. Plus any incidental purchases at Club. Rough figures. The Club has not responded in any way! We have made a few inquiries as to the status of the presentation and have gotten NO RESPONSE! Is the club that well out to pass on $67,000USD a yr?

Is there anyone out there who is a member at La Planicie that is willing host a few golfers as guests?
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 pm

So far, this is what I have found out.
Lima, Los Inkas, Villa and La Planicie are 18 hole private courses. If you want to pay the big bucks for membership, they will take your money. There are some short terms memberships available, but have some major restrictions. You can play Villa as a tourist($100,plus caddy and tip), call ahead and confirm.

La Planicie finally responded to the request by the expats with a monthly fee that was unreasonable and we declined.

A member can get you on as a guest, but finding them is difficult.

Los Andes, Granja Azual are 9 hole courses. Los Andes is private, but you can play with a member or a member can host you. Higher price if member is not with you. Granja Azul is more of a semi-private 9 hole course. It is my understanding after the last trip, that they welcome outside play. But, it would be a good idea to call ahead.

San Bartolo has a 9 hole public course. It is old school, oil/sand mix for tees and greens, dirt(all dirt) fairways, no shade, only green grass is the practice green. You need to do it once for the experience. San Bartolo looks like a beach town, busy in season and pretty quiet the rest of the year.

good luck golfers!
gatorfire1997

Postby gatorfire1997 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 am

The latest up-date on golf in Lima. Another golfer and I were going thru the process to be short term members (2yrs, monthly fee, no entry fee and no voting rights) at Country Club de Villa. We began the process under the impression that the costs would be $450 +/-. The other golfer finished the process, went to the interview and was accepted. At end of interview, he was given the final paperwork to finish and a bill for the first months fee. $700!!! Not the $450+/- everyone thought was the price. He resigned at the table, explaining that a $300 increase to $700 was unacceptable and out of his budget. He was a member for 15 minutes.

I have been unable to find any members at the Lima, Los Incas or La Planicie CC that are willing to host someone as a quest.But, am still on the hunt.

For now and probably for the rest of my time in Lima, I will play at the Granja Azul GC. They welcome outside play, are thankful for my business, respond to my emails. The drive out in the Lima traffic is a bit hair-raising, but it can be done.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register