Legalize Documents for Teaching Job

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Lima

Legalize Documents for Teaching Job

Postby Claudia1973 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 am

My husband received a job offer from a university here in Lima. They require his diplomas to be legalized.

We are told other embassies offer document legalization service, however, the U.S. Embassy, as big and rich as they are, offered no help.

Any experience or advice for the next step to legalize diplomas to teach?

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Postby bjmyp6 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Claudia - I am from the US and live in Peru now. I had to do the same thing for my teaching job. You have to get your University in which you received the degree to send a certified copy of your diploma to the Secretary of State office. I received my degrees in Missouri... so I asked my Univ to send my degree to the S of S in Missouri to get an Apostille Stamp... basically like a notary stamp saying its a valid degree.

Once you get the Apostille stamp you must send that to a Peruvian consulate in the US... for me, since I was in Missouri, the closest consulate is in Chicago. Once you send it to the Peruvian consulate they will notarize it and verify that it is legal.

Each process has a fee, so I suggest calling your University, your state's Secretary of State office, and the local Peru consulate to organize how you're going to pay for the fees.
User avatar
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea

Postby naturegirl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:57 pm

I used my original degree.

Sent it to the apostille.

got the apostille

Went to the Peruvian consulate.

Went to a translator and they did the RREE and translation.

By that time my degree had tons of stamps and signatures. So I wrote to my uni and said I lost my degree. I paid 25 bucks and have a brand new one!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register