Introduce Yourself!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Maureen
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Maureen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

My husband and I are going to be moving to Lima in late February, early March 2013. We are from Boynton Beach, Florida were we have lived practically our entire lives. I am excited but a bit nervous, I've never lived utside my comfort zone!

If anyone can give me some advice or tips on what it's like to live there, I would truly appreciate it. I look forward to our adventure and happy to be part of "expatperu".

All the best,
MC


Coxypox
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 pm

In need of a change

Postby Coxypox » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Hello all,

My name is Kyle, I am from the US, Arkansas more specifically, and I'm ready for a major change in my life. I was recently medically retired from the Army bc of an injury, went through my second divorce, and can no longer stand being in the states. I plan on moving to Peru with a friend from college sometime around August.mplanning to save up a little money, move to Peru, and do a bit of traveling... After that, maybe I will look for a job... Maybe not. Im very excited, but a bit worried at the same time. My Spanish is rusty.... Very rusty, and it's just a huge change. I have my degree, sp I'm hoping I can find a job if I need one. Any tips or things I need to be aware of would be great and much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance,

Kyle

PS I plan to live in Lima or Trujillo
User avatar
Incaborne1
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Incaborne1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Happy New Year & Feliz Año Nuevo everyone.

I'm Ivan, born & raised in Denver, CO...of Peruvian descent and new member.

I'll be in Peru next week through the end of the month...I can't wait! Visiting family and in-laws.

Will be traveling to Trujillo, Cajamarca, and Arequipa...not necessarily in that order. I'm also looking at retirement options when that time comes. My wife love Northern Peru (away from the 9 million) but I'm I'm leaning toward a place in La Molina...In the future, I'd like to buy an car as well...I'll be reaching out for anyone who has had experience buy "new" cars from dealerships.

My wife and I are in our early 40's and fit and looking for some folks to pal around with and get to know. We love dancing and site seeing/traveling. I love NFL football and I bleed orange and blue...if you're a Patriots fan...I hate your guts...during the season.

I love everything about Peru...the people, the food, the drinks, LA VIDA!

Blessings to all...Bendiciones =)
Jmer1965
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Jmer1965 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi people,

My name is Johnn. I have been in Lima for about a year now. it´s feel great to be able to join this community, I am sure I will find a lot of helpful information here and a friendly group of people as well.

Welcome all new members like me !Hopefully I can make some new friends in Lima.

J.M
User avatar
Roccos
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Roccos » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Hola,
My husband Joe, and myself Lily, are looking to move to Lima in one year or so. He will be a retired psychotherapist and I am a bilingual editor. My husband is from Brooklyn, NY, I am a native of Surquillo, Lima, Perú living here for over 25 years, I have 2 sisters that live in Chorrillos.
We are very exited about moving to Lima and looking forward to join the american community.
Any advice on how to start a private psychotherapy practice/business in English? We rather move down before retiring age but need jobs of course.
Thank you all for this site, it is awesome! :D
vhedges
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby vhedges » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Vince... I'm married to a Peruvian who lives in La Molina.... I live in New Jersey. The plan for the past 3 years has been to move here. (I happen to be in Peru right now) I own a business in the states that has to be unloaded.... and I haven't figured out what I would do to keep me occupied here.

I've been to Peru a number of times, and haven't seen anything. My wife doesn't venture out very much, and so I've decided if I am going to learn about Peru.... I'll need to strike out on my own. I've glanced at this site a few times over the past 3 years, I guess it's time to meet some people. :)
donpaulo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby donpaulo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 am

Hola compadres

My name is Paul and I am an American currently living in Japan. My wife who is Japanese and I are now in our late 40s and starting to think about planning a comfortable retirement as well as adventure so I naturally thought about South America. Obviously Peru is on the shortlist as are Ecuador and Chile.

I am interested in starting a permaculture farm that will provide most of what I want to eat and quite possibly most of my neighbors once it gets going. We have spent a number of years in Northern California so that is our preferred climate.

Can anyone here suggest a nice town or location that fits these criteria
1. Mild Climate
2. Low Humidity
3. University in the area say 20km away
4. River or access to some fresh water
5. Reasonable land prices

I know its kind of a tall order yet still lacking in enough specifics but I am hoping a kind soul will give me an example or two so I can narrow down my search. Chile and Ecuador are relatively simple when it comes to these criteria but sadly I cannot find enough specific information about Peru and am anxious to see it on google earth, to do some diligence and eventually to plan a vacation to the area.

Thanks so much !

Saludos
Pablo
User avatar
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby lyndelld » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Welcome. My wife and I will be moving to Chorillos in February :D She has a home there.

Roccos wrote:Hola,
My husband Joe, and myself Lily, are looking to move to Lima in one year or so. He will be a retired psychotherapist and I am a bilingual editor. My husband is from Brooklyn, NY, I am a native of Surquillo, Lima, Perú living here for over 25 years, I have 2 sisters that live in Chorrillos.
We are very exited about moving to Lima and looking forward to join the american community.
Any advice on how to start a private psychotherapy practice/business in English? We rather move down before retiring age but need jobs of course.
Thank you all for this site, it is awesome! :D
User avatar
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi, I am.... well, I think I'll keep my real name to myself for now since I'm in the habit of keeping an anonymous low profile in Peru for safety. Maybe later 8) For now I'm calling myself gringolandia since that's how my niece-in-law humorously referred to the US recently.

I'm from the Chicago area and I've been married to a Peruvian woman for several years and we mostly stay at a beach house in the Puerto Viejo beach area (~70km south of Lima) which we visit for about a month each year.

We plan to relocate to Peru within a year or so for quality of life reasons. We want our daughter to be raised with the family environment here, and my little Information Technology company should provide enough income to live comfortably here. We'll probably get a condo in Lima as well when we relocate, but for now we stay with family in Lima when we go there.
Last edited by gringolandia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jbsmok
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Jbsmok » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 am

Hi everyone!

I'm Julio, from chile. Living in Perú since jan 8, just a few days as you can see, the web site is nice!

I want to contact foreign People to improve my english.

I work as an International Manager of a spanish company in Perú

Fiel free to contact me.
PaloAL
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby PaloAL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 am

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Albert, I have been lurking reading this forum and must say that this site is great! I have learnt a wealth of information about Peru Thanks!!
I have lived in Australia for the last 45 years and will be visiting Family in Peru in March for a few months with an outlook of relocating to Lima!
Anyway thank you for such a great site, it has been helpful to myself and other family members!!

Cheers

Al.
Lindsey
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Lindsey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Julio,

I also just moved to Lima, Monday the 14th to be exact, from the states. I am working in International sales and currently on a project with one of our distributors here in Lima.

Would love to help you with your english if you help me with my spanish!

Let me know if you would like to get together for a coffee/beer/pisco etc..

Lindsey

Jbsmok wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm Julio, from chile. Living in Perú since jan 8, just a few days as you can see, the web site is nice!

I want to contact foreign People to improve my english.

I work as an International Manager of a spanish company in Perú

Fiel free to contact me.
Lindsey
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Lindsey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi All,

I work in sales for a US company but will be spending the majority of the year here in Lima working with our distributors. I am 26 years old and would love to find some fun people to hang out with while here! I like to do/try anything athletic and wouldn't mind learning how to surf or something like that while I am here. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to play some tennis, grab a beer, go for a run, get some coffee, etc...

Thanks,
Lindsey
Dorrian
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Dorrian » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Jack. Im a Chicagoin interested in living in cusco! Found lots of valuable information on this site, but it tends to be centered around lima! Going to spend some more time poking around then poke some questions toward people who've spent time in cusco.

Cheers.
marisellahc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby marisellahc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello everyone,

This is the first time that I post something on a thread. I am peruvian and US citizen. I just divorced and decided to move back to Lima. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 6 years. Then,I moved to Miami and lived there for almost 3 years. I would like to join an English speaking club to practice my English. I am used to speak in English everyday but since I moved to Lima I only speak in Spanish. I hope I can join the club; I think it is a great idea. I am deciding whether I should come back to the US or settle here in Lima. I think I would like to settle in Lima because my family is here, I have my close friends here, the food is amazing and fun nightlife, just finding a job is a little tough for me. I just graduated form the paralegal school and I have experience in intellectual property law. I am a legal secretary in patent and trademark prosecution. If it happens that you know a law firm where they need a legal secretary with US IP law background, please let me know.
Bryan C
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Bryan C » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi All,

Looks like this thread hasn't been commented on it a while, but I figured why not reach out. My name is Bryan and I am from New York. I am going down to Peru for a few months with the full intentions to move there permanently in the middle of the year.

The food, culture and people drew me to peru and I hope to meet up with some like minded expats. I will keep an eye on the event calendar but would welcome any invitations from people to experience sports, food and just a group time.

Look forward to meeting some of you.

Bryan
User avatar
tomásGerardo
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby tomásGerardo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

Hi, my name is Tomás I live in Medellín Colombia.

I have been to many countries in the Americas and Europe, I like to travel, cook paint and draw, play the piano and guitar and most importantly I love to eat.



Hola me llamo Tomás vivo en Medellín, Colombia.

Conozco muchos paises de las americas y algunos de europa. Me gusta viajar, cocinar, pintar y dibujar, tocar el piano y la guitarra y lo mas importante me gusta muchisimo comer.
Sabes que nunca verás el final del camino cuando andas conmigo
Showalla
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Showalla » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:54 am

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site and I'm glad to find it.
Firstly i would like to introduce myself,my name is Showalla,i am 27 years old and i´m from Peru.
i was living out of Peru for 10 years approximately and now i´m back to my country. Nowadays i am taking a short course about Peruvian economy. whether it is possible i will set up a business here in Lima about Import and Export.

The phrase to be a successful person is "if you want to achieve your goal you need to have. Commitment,motivation and focus if you have these three things,no matter wath your goal is, you can get there"
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby metal moth » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 am

I'm metal moth flying between the states & locales south of the border.
¡Mucho gusto!
Quique
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Quique » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:42 am

Hello Expats,
Finally, I am now in Peru, my birth place, doing the things that made me Peruvian. It has been six years in the making and now the adjustments. When my folks took me out of Peru as a young child many, many years ago I swore that someday I would return, and now here I am (Todos vuelven...). Although I plan to retire in a few years, I feel that I need to continue to work in my profession for many years to come to keep active and stay sharp.
I have worked as a licensed architect and builder in the U.S. for over thirty years and believe that I can offer the expertise and reliability that is much needed here. As an architect in Peru I am marketing my services to U.S. and other foreign companies doing business here, where I know that I can provide the same level of professionalism that is expected in the U.S. As business entrepreneurs we learned what it took to be a success, as returning professionals we need to instill the knowledge acquired abroad to those who equally wish to participate in the world market.
To all returning pros or here for the first time, I wish you all well in your endeavors…wish me the same!
Ciao,
Quique
kenmatches
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby kenmatches » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 am

Hello Expats;)
My name is Kenny, my mother is peruvian and im moving to Peru to live there for about a year. I have gone to peru a lot and its always been fun but one thing is i never really fit in. I was born and raised in the states and my spanish isnt the best. My cousins always show me a great time with their friends but thats what it is, THEIR friends. Id like to make my own and i always like meeting new people, just like they speak my language lol. Im 27 so hit me up if your around my age range and like/try be friends (not looking for romance either) /cheers
michael.c
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Re: Miami Guy Moving from Buenos Aires, Arg.

Postby michael.c » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Well, we finally arrived, albeit a bit later than expected. Been here 2 weeks now and loving it. We are currently staying in San Borja but looking for places in Mira Flores, Chorillo or Barranco - if anyone has some reputable places to search, please let me know.

I am actively searching for anyone that plays futbol (soccer to any fellow americans) - preferably pick up for now, but not opposed to any amateur league teams. Hope to hear from some of you as I am always looking to expand upon my friendships.

Un abrazo - Michael.C

michael.c wrote:Hola a todos!

Just wanted to post a quick hello and welcome myself to the expat community here. I have plans to move to Lima with my girlfriend (from Lima) and dog in January '13. We are coming from Buenos Aires and I am really looking forward to the food, night life (yes I know it is on a smaller scale) and learning more about the culture, area and everything else.

I am an independent graphic designer that runs a boutique design shop out of Miami, but works from abroad. I specialize in brand development and cover all mediums from print to interactive/web. When I am not doing that, I routinely perform in night clubs as an electronic DJ.

I will be scouring these forums to learn more, but any "out of the gate" tips or links to important posts would be greatly appreciated. I would love to learn about fellow expats that have applied for legal residence (what are the best options without getting married or owning property) so as to avoid the constant 3 month border trip. I am also interested in peoples opinions of the various distritos (cost, amenities, etc). Not looking to live in the most "chi-chi" area but want something secure with reliable internet (my business depends on it).

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and hope to meet some of you when I arrive next January.

Un abrazo!
Michael.C
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby tomasb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello,

Not an introduction but you need to update your History section regarding Peru. According to the article, Toledo is still President!!
sadlerp
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby sadlerp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Hey my name is Peyton, I've recently completed graduate school in Texas USA and I am moving to Lima next May. I hardly know anyone in Peru other than my novia and her family. But I am thrilled to have stumbled over this forum and am excited to meet people in my similar situation or have done something like this. Im an accountant and work for an accounting firm. I need advice though and maybe personal stories if anyone would like to share. How did you find a job? Start a company? Learn Spanish? Cultural adjustments?

Thank you very much,

-Peyton
TheEnabler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby TheEnabler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

It's actually my daughter and her husband and their one year old daughter who are moving to Lima, but since I am the Family Enabler (which means that as the retired person with the most time, I track down all the best places to shop, return everything that doesn't fit, and generally enable everyone else to avoid their most annoying chores, which I truly don't mind. Here in NYC, young parents with good careers work about twice as many (stressful) hours a week as we did in the sixties and seventies, so I'm happy to do what I can so that they have a little less on their plates. I have a ton of questions I'd like to ask, but so as not to start off being the most annoying new member of this lovely forum, I'll just ask one right now, namely: Can one use a TV set purchased in the US in Lima with the addition of a 220/110 transformer? My son-in-law has been given a large relocation allowance for this move, so they can move as much as they want from here to there without incurring any expense on their own. They own 2 fairly new flat screens and it would be a shame to leave them behind if it's possible to use them in Peru Thanks....
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 am

Dear Enabler,

First, allow me to say "THANKS" for your helping your children with the time you have being RETIRED.
Technically, I am not sure - but do know many people who have brought TV's to Peru; so a TRANSFORMER should not be a major issue.

If you do need a TRANSFORMER; buy one in the USA - as prices are so ridiculous here (on anything electronic).

If I or my Peruvian wife can make their transition more pleasant, please advise...

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
511-271-3849 (Surquillo)
PS - always eager to meet new couples to enjoy the "good life" in Lima; we are 62 & 47 & professionals. I am a semi-retired CONSUMER ADVOCATE from the USA; having difficulty understanding the "mentality" in Peru...
BellbottomBlues
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby BellbottomBlues » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

Hello,

I'm Barbara, an American. My gentleman friend/life partner is Peruvian and we are beginning to make plans to live part time in both countries.

I am here to share and learn, in particular, how much culture shock that I need to be prepared for.

Thank you all in advance, BB
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 pm

BellbottomBlues wrote:Hello,

I'm Barbara, an American. My gentleman friend/life partner is Peruvian and we are beginning to make plans to live part time in both countries.

I am here to share and learn, in particular, how much culture shock that I need to be prepared for.

Thank you all in advance, BB

hi Barbara, welcome to expatperu! :D
i am also married to a Peruvian, and we spend half the year in Peru, and the other half in the U.S.
although it can be a culture shock at first, you will become accustomed to the way of life here. there will be things you wont like, and there will be things you will like.
are you going to be living in the Lima metro?
Best wishes :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
BellbottomBlues
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby BellbottomBlues » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi thank you.

Yes, in the metro area initially - maybe eventually, when we completely retire, to a place near water (nice dream!).

Nice to meet you....

Barbara :)
noondayfilms
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby noondayfilms » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Hey, everyone. So, I'm Peruvian/American (born in Peru to American parents) and my husband and I are preparing to move back to Peru temporarily this June. Here's what we're doing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1826552601/the-last-bridge-master
We are documentary filmmakers and we'll be living in Cusco, Peru for 1 year with our 3 kids (between 1 and 5 yrs old.) I very much consider myself Peruvian (lived in Peru till I went to college), but my husband is American and it would be great if we could connect with some other expats in Cusco. Hope we can get the funding for this film! Can't wait to live in Peru again!
Maguy
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Maguy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 am

Hi all, My name is Ken. I currently live in Boston, Massachusetts and have been travling to Peru for several years. I usually rent an apartment in Miraflores and live here for a month or more at a time. I work from here when in Miraflores. I am thinking of next year to sell my house in Boston and then divide my time throughout the year between Savannah, GA and Miraflores. My partner is buying a condo in Miraflores so we will easily go back and forth. I really enjoy my time in Peru and find it a fascinating and beautiful country. I especially love the archeological sites found throughout the country as well as the food, which is amazing to me. I am a clinical auditor and have my own company so work out of my home. I can work from anywhere in the world as long as I'm near an airport. My work takes me around the globe. I just recently found this site and thought it would be fun to connect with other ExPats. I only have a couple friends in Lima.
MonoLoco
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby MonoLoco » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Hola Mundo!
I've recently moved to Lima from the Big Apple of New York City, looking for an awesome lifestyle, friendly people and business opportunities. I'm a consultant by day and am attending classes at the El Sol School (shout out to Alan!) I'm currently living in Miraflores, but also looking to move to Barranco at the end of May. I'm hoping to start a business here and come with some background in entrepreneurship. I currently have a few ideas, but I'm all ears to listen to new ideas as well, as I'm not set in stone on one particular business. Other than that, I'm looking to meet new friends and build a life here! Buena Suerte a todos!
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby vivaperusurf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi all!

My name is dave. I am american born, grew up in a small state in new england, moved to cali, and then through my love of surfing have been travelling the world, including mexico, central, and south america.

Taking spainsh classes for two years in high school, i was a bad student and got poor grades as i thought it was such a waste of time, i would neve need spanish. Well somehow it stuck in my head and after nearly twenty years of travelling i actually got pretty good, to the point where i enjoy the language and now actually prefer espanol:-)

I first came to peru in 2005? For a three week surf trip, to celebrate my birthday. Scored some insane waves and enjoyed travelling solo, the hospitality of the peruvians i met along the way. I was told how dangerous it was but never got in any situations i felt afraid. Anyway it created a fondness for the surf of northern peru as well as the culture and people.

Fast forward about five or six years and after loosing my dream job i decided to make a "permanent" move to the land of the lefts, that means uncrowded left point break waves, my one and only true love:-) or addiction?

I arrived in chicama and decided i wanted to be a chicamero, to live there for the rest of my life. Well it was fun times for sure, to get all dialed into the local community and live the pueblo life. I managed to travel to chile,easter island, as well as all ovef northern peru. I really learned the culture, the language, made many friends, and fell in love with a spicy girl from la selva.

She was comfotable for a bit in chicama, but things got strange quick and it turned out that we would find ourselves living in huanchaco, which ended up being fine by me. There was access to trujillo a short taxi or kombi ride away, and yet huanchaco still had epic waves and that pueblo feel.

Ultimately i realized i needed to end my relationship as it wasnt really going the way i wanted to, and also getback to the states to take care of some things. I guess when i left i just blew out and didnt really close down my life in cali very well. So i very sadly ended my time in peru, having spent over a year in country.

Really grew a love for the language and the culture, the land, the people, the food, and of course the music...cumbia that is! I learned so much about the place, the history, and everything that made northern peru the place it is now.

It truly is a harsh place but with some amazing beauty if you can look past the negative things and enjoy the nature, the waves, the mtns, the jungle, so much beauty yet so much suffering and hardship.

Anyway im back in the us and just hating living here really want to get back to peru and this time for good. I feel like now i am more peruvian than i will ever be an american again. I understand to peruvians i will always be an extranjero, but in my mind soy peruano.

Eventually i will return and have some major work to do before i can but i like reading this forum to keep in touch with the life i was living. It seems to me many folks here are in the lima area. It seems that is just due to the fact that is where the money and jobs are, but for me i hope i can return to the northern coast and to the area i loved most, the la libertad zone.

Although it is a dry desert wasteland along the coast, i felt a certian connection, and want to do what i can to return to that area. Well anyway after this long post i will just say thanks to everyone who posts here and i hope you all can find ways to enjoy your time in a truly amazing country:-) quiero volver, pronto!
KaliYansan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby KaliYansan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am

Hi, I'm KALImar and & I plan to Relocate to Trujillo, Peru :D ... :arrow: Can anyone direct me to legitimate Realtors & Real Estate Companies in Trujillo? any information about Trujillo, Peru is appreciated also...Thank U :P
User avatar
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby lyndelld » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 am

Hi,

I've introduced myself previously before moving. I landed in Lima Saturday night.

My interests in life include College Football especially the Oklahoma State Cowboys. I love music....I like positive music like U2. Although "rally 'round tha family - with a pocket full of shells" is good musically, I'm not sure what it does to make life better.

I like documentaries. I was trying to be less vague and find a few interesting people. Are there any Randy Stonehill fans out there? I'm also interested in environment. I watched a documentary called "The last Mountain" about the coal companies and how they are blowing up the mountains in total disregard for human life and the environment.

Lyndell
User avatar
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby lyndelld » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

*Crickets*

lyndelld wrote:Hi,

I've introduced myself previously before moving. I landed in Lima Saturday night.

My interests in life include College Football especially the Oklahoma State Cowboys. I love music....I like positive music like U2. Although "rally 'round tha family - with a pocket full of shells" is good musically, I'm not sure what it does to make life better.

I like documentaries. I was trying to be less vague and find a few interesting people. Are there any Randy Stonehill fans out there? I'm also interested in environment. I watched a documentary called "The last Mountain" about the coal companies and how they are blowing up the mountains in total disregard for human life and the environment.

Lyndell
Mullie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Mullie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Hello everybody

I'm Olivier and I just accepted a job in Peru last friday. I just finished my studies in the Netherlands and in about a month I will live in Lima with my girlfriend. Earlier I had an internship in Lima (that is where I met my girlfriend) and I liked the city

I have been lurking around this forum for a while now and I hope I can contribute to this forum
Lucy
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Lucy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Hello,

My name is Lucy, I'm a 25 year old Australian hoping to move to Peru or Argentina early next year. I joined this forum to hear people's stories about living in Peru to help me decide!

I am currently saving as much money as I can while I study a TESOL course and I hope to get work teaching English. If anyone has any tips for me that would be great.

Also, I would like to do a 3-4 week Spanish Immersion course in January. I have heard Antigua in Guatemala is great for this. If anyone has done one of these courses or has any tips about it I would be very interested!

Thanks!
Lucy
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Lucy wrote:Hello,

My name is Lucy, I'm a 25 year old Australian hoping to move to Peru or Argentina early next year. I joined this forum to hear people's stories about living in Peru to help me decide!

I am currently saving as much money as I can while I study a TESOL course and I hope to get work teaching English. If anyone has any tips for me that would be great.

Also, I would like to do a 3-4 week Spanish Immersion course in January. I have heard Antigua in Guatemala is great for this. If anyone has done one of these courses or has any tips about it I would be very interested!

Thanks!
Lucy


I'm sure Guatemala would be a lovely place to learn Spanish, but it might be worth considering somewhere like Sucre in Bolivia. As I don't know Guatemala, I can't make a valid comparison. However, Sucre is a beautiful colonial town, the cost of living is low and the Spanish classes are relatively cheap. For Spanish classes in Peru, the owner of this website, Alan, runs a school, El Sol, so you could contact him. Outside Lima, many people find Arequipa a good place to learn Spanish and like the old colonial city and its slower pace of life. Ecuador's also popular for learning Spanish, especially Quito, but crime is a big problem there. Also Quito is not a friendly city and gringos are often the target of the unscrupulous, especially since the economy isn't doing very well.

In terms of finding a job in Peru, the best TEFOL jobs can be got once you have your qualifcation, a little experience and a work visa. If you have a full university teaching qualification and experience teaching in a high school, you'll probably walk into a well-paying job in a private school in Peru. If you really just want to come and sample life here and don't have a work visa, there are also many schools in Lima which will hire you on an hourly basis, paying betwen 24 and 34 soles per hour, and give you classes set around the students' working hours, usually between 7am-9pm, 12-2pm and after 6pm. The big negative is you have to travel to the student's workplace which can often involve long bus journeys.
User avatar
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby lyndelld » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Welcome!

Mullie wrote:Hello everybody

I'm Olivier and I just accepted a job in Peru last friday. I just finished my studies in the Netherlands and in about a month I will live in Lima with my girlfriend. Earlier I had an internship in Lima (that is where I met my girlfriend) and I liked the city

I have been lurking around this forum for a while now and I hope I can contribute to this forum
Lucy
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Lucy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I'm sure Guatemala would be a lovely place to learn Spanish, but it might be worth considering somewhere like Sucre in Bolivia. As I don't know Guatemala, I can't make a valid comparison. However, Sucre is a beautiful colonial town, the cost of living is low and the Spanish classes are relatively cheap. For Spanish classes in Peru, the owner of this website, Alan, runs a school, El Sol, so you could contact him. Outside Lima, many people find Arequipa a good place to learn Spanish and like the old colonial city and its slower pace of life. Ecuador's also popular for learning Spanish, especially Quito, but crime is a big problem there. Also Quito is not a friendly city and gringos are often the target of the unscrupulous, especially since the economy isn't doing very well.

In terms of finding a job in Peru, the best TEFOL jobs can be got once you have your qualifcation, a little experience and a work visa. If you have a full university teaching qualification and experience teaching in a high school, you'll probably walk into a well-paying job in a private school in Peru. If you really just want to come and sample life here and don't have a work visa, there are also many schools in Lima which will hire you on an hourly basis, paying betwen 24 and 34 soles per hour, and give you classes set around the students' working hours, usually between 7am-9pm, 12-2pm and after 6pm. The big negative is you have to travel to the student's workplace which can often involve long bus journeys.


Hi Sergio,

Thank you for the info. How much experience do you think I'd need to get a decent job in Peru? I have a bachelors degree and a masters degree (although not in teaching) and I will have a TEFOl qualification by then. I'm hoping to do some volunteering on my way to Peru for a month or so....otherwise I will have no other experience.

I will look into those other places for Spanish courses as well! I would like to do a course outside of Peru as I wil ultimately end up in Peru (hopefully)!

Thanks again
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 am

Unless you're doing an online course, you should get experience teaching if your TEFOL is with a decent school. So always exagerate that, both in your mind and to any potential employers. After you've been teaching for a short time, it becomes second nature. If your opportunities to teach in the place you're doing your TEFL are limited, then you can always do some voluntary teaching to build confidence.

On the whole, there's a bit of a chicken and egg thing with good teaching jobs and TEFOL qualifications. In other words, with many schools, you won't get a job until you've got experience, but of course you need a job to get experience. However, there are quite a few schools in Lima that will take you on a freelance basis with a university degree, no work visa and without a TEFOL and some will even give you training.

It's always worth exagerating your teaching experience to these schools. I'd suggest you say you teach private students in one to one classes. This is more because they'll do anything to pay you less and if they're desperate they'll fling you in at the deep end no matter what you say your experience is. They hate to lose a client and any teacher is better than no teacher. In their mind, there is only a problem if the student complains and the students rarely complain - unless you're really incompetent. The clients are local businesses, usually bigger companies or multinationals who need to improve their staff's English.

With these schools, you don't teach in large classes, but small classes or one to one at the student's place of work. The classes are scheduled around working hours, usually 7:30 am to 9:00 am, or lunch time, or after 6:00pm. One reason there are usually jobs is because of the unsociable nature of the hours and because they have a high turnover of staff - people do it for a month and just give up because it's not a good way to make money. And some of the people they employ are next to useless.

Some of these schools advertise on a website called livinginperu, which has a classified section and there are regular openings for TEFOL teachers and if they need a work visa, they will say in the ad. Many do not, but as I said earlier, the working hours are fairly arbitrary, and you'll be better off trying to get a work visa and a contract with a decent school once you've got some experience under your belt. Volunteering is an idea as you say, but it's a pretty thankless task. It's best to do some research before volunteering your time, as you may in some cases being doing a local out of a job by working for free. On the plus side, there are always organisations looking for people. I think quite a few advertise here on expatperu.
dendrojosh
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby dendrojosh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Josh. I am new to Peru. I have been in Lima for a little over a month now. I am staying with a wonderful family in Villa Maria del triunfo. I do not really speak the language and I am just learning my way around. Any advice and "showing around" are greatly welcomed! Anyhow, I love the forum! I come here for information all the time! Thanks for such a great source of information!

Josh
TanMcMann
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby TanMcMann » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 am

Hola! I'm Tanya and have been living in Peru for 4 days now. I'm a Canadian/American, from Saskatchewan and am here with my American husband who is working on commissioning a power plant. We are living in Miraflores in an apt near the water.
I know basically no spanish, so am learning. I can understand a lot by reading but can't understand anyone speaking here. Hoping to join in some classes starting soon. I'm a fairly social person and with my husband working 14 hour days and the 2 friends I have here having children I am always looking for things to do and shopping/walking/exploring buddies.
So far, I love Miraflores, and with about 8 miles of walking everyday since I've been here I have a pretty good grasp on the area. I have used this forum for a while now, even before moving here, and am so glad it is around! I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and enjoying our stay in Peru until around Christmas!
mixedupmiki
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby mixedupmiki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm

sadlerp wrote:Hey my name is Peyton, I've recently completed graduate school in Texas USA and I am moving to Lima next May. I hardly know anyone in Peru other than my novia and her family. But I am thrilled to have stumbled over this forum and am excited to meet people in my similar situation or have done something like this. Im an accountant and work for an accounting firm. I need advice though and maybe personal stories if anyone would like to share. How did you find a job? Start a company? Learn Spanish? Cultural adjustments?

Thank you very much,

-Peyton

Wellcome to Peru!!
My name is Miguel and Im an engineer that works for peruvian government. Peruvian people is totally friendly, even if u r looking for a job
At first, I recommend starting to look for a job...it will be easy to get it...
Regards :)
Miguel Guillen
mixedupmiki
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi everyone!!!

Postby mixedupmiki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:31 pm

My name is Miguel Guillen :mrgreen: and im an industrial engineer working for peruvian government
Im in my 40s and single ( its not so sad). I live in Surco Id like to get friends and share a cultural interchange and know delightful people
I like to talk about music, traditions, politics , and i hope to meet many more people
Regards
Miguel
mixedupmiki
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby mixedupmiki » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:Hi all!

My name is dave. I am american born, grew up in a small state in new england, moved to cali, and then through my love of surfing have been travelling the world, including mexico, central, and south america.

Taking spainsh classes for two years in high school, i was a bad student and got poor grades as i thought it was such a waste of time, i would neve need spanish. Well somehow it stuck in my head and after nearly twenty years of travelling i actually got pretty good, to the point where i enjoy the language and now actually prefer espanol:-)

I first came to peru in 2005? For a three week surf trip, to celebrate my birthday. Scored some insane waves and enjoyed travelling solo, the hospitality of the peruvians i met along the way. I was told how dangerous it was but never got in any situations i felt afraid. Anyway it created a fondness for the surf of northern peru as well as the culture and people.

Fast forward about five or six years and after loosing my dream job i decided to make a "permanent" move to the land of the lefts, that means uncrowded left point break waves, my one and only true love:-) or addiction?

I arrived in chicama and decided i wanted to be a chicamero, to live there for the rest of my life. Well it was fun times for sure, to get all dialed into the local community and live the pueblo life. I managed to travel to chile,easter island, as well as all ovef northern peru. I really learned the culture, the language, made many friends, and fell in love with a spicy girl from la selva.

She was comfotable for a bit in chicama, but things got strange quick and it turned out that we would find ourselves living in huanchaco, which ended up being fine by me. There was access to trujillo a short taxi or kombi ride away, and yet huanchaco still had epic waves and that pueblo feel.

Ultimately i realized i needed to end my relationship as it wasnt really going the way i wanted to, and also getback to the states to take care of some things. I guess when i left i just blew out and didnt really close down my life in cali very well. So i very sadly ended my time in peru, having spent over a year in country.

Really grew a love for the language and the culture, the land, the people, the food, and of course the music...cumbia that is! I learned so much about the place, the history, and everything that made northern peru the place it is now.

It truly is a harsh place but with some amazing beauty if you can look past the negative things and enjoy the nature, the waves, the mtns, the jungle, so much beauty yet so much suffering and hardship.

Anyway im back in the us and just hating living here really want to get back to peru and this time for good. I feel like now i am more peruvian than i will ever be an american again. I understand to peruvians i will always be an extranjero, but in my mind soy peruano.

Eventually i will return and have some major work to do before i can but i like reading this forum to keep in touch with the life i was living. It seems to me many folks here are in the lima area. It seems that is just due to the fact that is where the money and jobs are, but for me i hope i can return to the northern coast and to the area i loved most, the la libertad zone.

Although it is a dry desert wasteland along the coast, i felt a certian connection, and want to do what i can to return to that area. Well anyway after this long post i will just say thanks to everyone who posts here and i hope you all can find ways to enjoy your time in a truly amazing country:-) quiero volver, pronto!


Will wait for u, Chicamero!! :mrgreen:
Regards
Miguel
Image
Attachments
148600487.jpg
148600487.jpg (120.32 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
Solsidan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 am

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Solsidan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am

Im olof, Swedish national living in Trujillo since 2012 and in my early 30s. My work is still outside peru building powerplants and rebuilding larger ships around the carribean, asia and europe. Eventually i will start working in peru instead, need to learn Spanish first but im too lazy to be bothered at the moment.

Any more Swedes in this forum?
dbb1611
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby dbb1611 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi, I'm David, I'm peruvian, Just came back from CT after seven years living there. I did schooling there and now I decided to spend some time in my homeland. I'm open to meet new people and make new friends, even that I'm from Peru it's a bit strange to come back to live here after a long time being in the States. I know my ways around since I grow up in Lima and Huaraz, beautiful cities to visit. Anyway if someone would like to make friends here I am we can go hang out and see the city.

Take care,

David
dbb1611
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby dbb1611 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Solsidan wrote:Im olof, Swedish national living in Trujillo since 2012 and in my early 30s. My work is still outside peru building powerplants and rebuilding larger ships around the carribean, asia and europe. Eventually i will start working in peru instead, need to learn Spanish first but im too lazy to be bothered at the moment.

Any more Swedes in this forum?



Hello Olof, sorry to bother you with this question but since you said you work building powerplants and ships, I would like to ask you if in your company they hiring people since I'm a mechanical engineer graduated in the U.S. I'm bilingual, I speak spanish and english. Your help will be greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,

David

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register