Introduce Yourself!

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
GarryJP

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby GarryJP » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi. My name is Garry. Guys, I have just registered on the forum. Thank you for acceptance. I like traveling and want to get more information and enrich my knowledge in that field.

My best project is www.myamplifiers.com
quadra

Postby quadra » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am

Hi.. I live in Peru and have followed this forum for many years. I look forward to participating and contributing.
Pereise

Postby Pereise » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello, my name is Sergio P. Came to Peru in June 2012 because a friend of mine lives here volunteering, teaching the Bible so I decided to join him. Little did I know I'd meet my wife, with whom I've been married to 5 months. I live in a ratty little pueblo called Chicama (not the surfing haven) about a half hour from Trujillo. I teach the Bible during the mornings and work on the side doing translations over the internet for odesk(dot)com. Great to be here!
GarryJP

Postby GarryJP » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, newbies!Enjoy your stay here. I am also new.
Curio2

Postby Curio2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Molly and I am from the US. I work in the international development field. I lived in Lima before, but just moved back a few days ago to be with my Peruvian boyfriend. I'd love to meet some new female friends for me and couple friends for us. We are both in our mid-30's. Please send me an e-mail if you'd be up getting together for dinner or drinks. Look forward to speaking with you!

-Molly
[email protected]
rjp

Postby rjp » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi,

My name is Richard, I'm 29 and I am moving to Lima in February to work as a teacher in an international school. I live in Oxford, UK and have been teaching here for 7 years now.

I travel a lot during my time off work and have done a lot of hectic trips, all over the world,seeing as much as I can. I haven't been to Peru before but I have enjoyed my time in other Latin American cities and just hope I'll be able to absorb the culture and relax which will be a nice change of pace for me! I've been waiting for a good job to come up for a few years and have been studying Spanish in that time so I have a basic level which I plan to build up.

I joined this forum as I'm sure I'll have questions in the next few months and then hopefully can meet a few similar-minded people to go for drinks with in Lima once I get there.

Richard :)
Tomoko

Good place!

Postby Tomoko » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi, Im a new member here, and luckly, found this place.
Im from Japan, living in Lima at this moment. And am doing teaching Japanese.
Now looking for friends who share good time playing misic, singing, doing yoga, or whatever :) I like being the nature, so if someone know the good place to relax, I surly go.
Waiting for replying :)

Tomoko
Last edited by Tomoko on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capis Coffee

Postby Capis Coffee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 pm

My father (Enrique) and I (Mari) recently moved back to Lima, and both use this profile. I more then him. We've been here for a few months and are in the Miraflores area. We came across this forum when we were looking for someone to roast coffee in Lima and it's been a blessing for me. While my father is from Peru, I only lived here as a child and my spanish isn't very good and I feel rather lost most days. It's very nice to get so much information from all of you, it's been very helpful.

Gracias!
Mari
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good place!

Postby Hitoruna » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Tomoko wrote:Hi, Im a new member here, and luckly, found this place.
Im from Japan, living in Lima at this moment. And am doing teaching Japanese.
Now looking for friends who share good time playing misic, singing, doing yoga, or whatever :) I like being the nature, so if someone know the good place to relax, I surly go.
Waiting for replying :)

Tomoko

Hello, and Welcome to Peru!
I am a peruvian who lives in Japan, and speaks japanese
Having received the kind help of many japanese people while living here, as a way to pay back I offer my help if there is anything you would like to know about my country. :)
GarryJP

Postby GarryJP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Tomoko, Capis Coffee, welcome to the forum, guys!Enjoy your stay here.
Claireliz

Postby Claireliz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Hola a todo!

I have just moved to Lima with my hubby and 2 daughters to be closer to family (Hubby is Peruvian) and escape the UK rain, wind and grey skies (that is just the summer :lol: ) !

We live in the SJL district, and I would love to connect with people here and build a new circle of friends. If there are any groups meeting for a natter and catch up (I think there used to be coffee afternoon in San Isidro at Starbucks before?) can you let me know.

Muchas gracias and many thanks!
Claire
Jessica SM

Postby Jessica SM » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey, my name is Jessica... Also living in Peru so if you need help with great places to visit in Peru would love to help!
See ya guys!

Jess.
Vannessfamx5

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi, my name is Cecilia a Peruvian citizen currently living in Atlanta, Ga and thinking about going back to Peru with my gringo (James) and 3 children.

I created an account so my husband can start grasping an idea of the life in Lima.
rosson.richard

Survived my first week in Lima! : )

Postby rosson.richard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Hola Chicos!

Que tal? I have been in Lima for one week. I am living in Cercado de Lima with my prometida. We are getting married here at the end of the month. I am currently looking for an English teaching job. I am having fun and working on my Spanish every day! :)
Remco

Postby Remco » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:38 am

Hi, my name is Remco and i'm from Holland this is my second time in Peru now and i'm here for a girlfriend who lives in Reque (chiclayo) We still do not know what the plan is going to live in Holland or Peru. So i am here for information in case Peru will be the final destination.
sprite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sprite » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 pm

my partner and i are on a bit of a grown up gap year, and decided to move to south america for a year in part to build up spanish and in part to see a continent we've never been to.

after a lot of looking and thinging, we're starting in Cusco as spanish students, and will see what happens from there. i'm a professional esl teacher so will likely do something along those lines, but we're looking into working online/freelance to supplement the income.

we land in a month, so i'll be asking quite a few questions between now and then, especially when it comes to packing the suitcase!
Melaniac

Postby Melaniac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Hi! I'm a new-old member, since I joined in 2006 and have been off the group since then. I lived in Arquipa for 14 months in 2006-07 with my husband's work, and we've just moved back. We'll be here this time for 2.5 years.

We have 2 boys, ages 11 and 8, and I am a lawyer working remotely for clients back home in Canada. There are sure to be lots of challenges but we're excited to be back. I'm fluent in Spanish and have local friends, which definitely helps.

If anyone lives in Arequipa and has some tips for me on places to get North American foodstuffs - or fresh(er) milk - I'd love to hear them. I'd also love to find someone with kids around the same age as mine, to get them out spending a bit more time with people their own age!
Graham

Postby Graham » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi All.

My name is Graham Im from the UK and lived here in Pucallpa for 19 years. Im married to a local girl Enith.

Im really retired,Im 60, but for 17 years have been teaching English at an English School, but now for students in companies and private classes.

I really have a love / hate for Peru. Somethings have become better other, in my oppinion, worse.

I live in the jungle city, buts no more then a large town, of Pucallpa.Where apart from religious groups and a few packpapers there arn't many full time brits here, I know only of 3.

We live in an unfinished 5 bedroomed house in 3 acres of garden compleate with a lake and jungle pets.

We are thinking of moving back to the UK to live. Does anyone know how easy is it to do that now and whats involved?

Thats it.

Graham
asp

Postby asp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Allin P'unchay!

I find myself (unexpectedly) living in Arequipa and looking for something to keep myself busy. For the last month I have been taking classes in Quechua (when in the Andes, do as the Andeans ...) and thinking about setting up or joining a local computer services shop.

So far I've not not meandered far from the centro, enjoying the vegetarian restaurants and even found a couple of places with decent live music (mostly rock en espanol & some experimental stuff).

If anyone wants to join up for a beer sometime, let me know!
Alex03

Postby Alex03 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Buenas Tardes! Hello everyone.

Im Alex. I'm new here. I from Houston, Texas. My parents are Colombian. Im fluent in English as well as Spanish and beginner in Portuguese. I want to move to Lima, Peru and some how i found this site. My fiance is limeña. It's how i met her traveling out there so many times. She lives in Lima but i live in San Diego, Ca. Im currently in the military and will be getting out soon after 12 years of service. For the last few years Ive been an adviser for foreign armed forces. I like it there and plan on moving out there. I just don't know what i will do for work. I'm a bit worried as far as how im going to receive income. Ive considered applying at the Embassy. I still have a security clearance and i have foreign military adviser training as well as some other stuff. Ive also scored high on the Defense Language Proficiency Test for Spanish. I speak if fluently. I really like it in Lima. The food is amazing and there is alot to do there. I hope i can make the move there by next year.
tkemery

Postby tkemery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Hello all!
I'm Tom, or Tomás, as a lot of my friends call me, and my first exposure to Peru was way back in 1976, when I came here to get married, in Talara (northern coastal Peru). Since then I have traveled to Peru on average of once or twice a year, so I have been many, many times, and visited a lot of areas in Peru, and I love it.

I have lived in Panama, Colombia and Ecuador earlier in my career for about 10 years, so I am completely fluent and comfortable in Spanish.

Although the original marriage didn't make it intact, I'm now engaged to another wonderful Peruvian woman, and we will be relocating to Peru when I retire in about 5 - 7 years. But in the meantime we just bought a beach home (to be developed) just south of Zorritos, again on the northern coast. But my fiancée's family has always lived in the Surquillo area of Lima, so when we visit we always spend some time in Lima.

My (grown) daughter went to medical school at San Martin in Lima, and is a doctor, but also lives in Charlotte, with her husband, who is from Lima, and is also a doctor. My (grown) son went to the Newton school for a year, and now is back in Charlotte in restaurant management. My fiancee's daughter and son are also both bilingual, but still in college/high school, and they also come to Peru yearly.

I'm looking to establish some friendships, and contacts, and glean some helpful information as we make the transition from full-time USA residents in Charlotte, NC to part-time residents of each country. And I hope to be able to contribute my experience, advice and opinion to all who are interested. :>))

All the best
Tomás
quixotelives

Postby quixotelives » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Expats, My name is Rich Cutcher, a 'semi-retired' builder who hopes to spend roughly 153 days each year in Peru climbing Pyamids, investigating antiquities, keeping up with my lady friend, writing songs, and (possibly) playing some middle of the road pop, country, & blues music on the weekends at some coffee bar or restaurant/bar not inclined to throw things at the singer/guitar player. The other half of the year I plan to return to Florida and build some project that I can finish in 4-5 months - so that I can come back to Peru for another 153 days. Tried to place a couple posts but they don't seem to come up. Still learning how to get around on the site. Suggestions, advice, and opinions regarding my quixotic plan are welcome. Rich
JulianF

Postby JulianF » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:38 pm

A BIG hello to all Expat Peru Members…

My name is Julian F..., I am from the USA, i.e., Atlanta and south Florida, residing in Miraflores while in Lima. I am still deciding where and when to purchase a residence. The prices in Lima remind me of south Florida in the years before the latest recession in the USA. Gee’s the prices keep going up, up and up… is there a ceiling for prices here in Miraflores, San Isidro, San Borja, Surco or Barranco… or just good old capitalist at work here in Peru.

Of all the forums that I have read for Expats in Peru this is by far the most informative blog/website. Look forward to reading additional information about personal and business life in Lima and Peru in general.

Look forward to meeting some of the Expats at future meet-ups in the Miraflores, San Isidro, San Borja, Surco or Barranco areas as I am still traveling between NA, UK and the EU on business, back and forth to Lima in the coming months.

Kind regards,

Julian F….
DjJava

Postby DjJava » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi! I'm Java and my wife and I are new in Lima. We were in Asia Boulevard for two months for some DJ gigs but ended up liking the country so we decided to stay. We are originally from Philippines but residents of Bahrain(next to Dubai and Saudi). I would love to meet some friends who like music and beer.
Leave a message in my FB page. https://m.facebook.com/pages/DJ-Java/57240247047?

Saludos
Java
mattigol

Postby mattigol » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi,

I am Matt. My wife and 2 kids live with me here in Peru. They are all dual citizens, but not me, haha. We live in Monterrico, Surco and are involved in graphic and web design and also have our own youth soccer (football) academy off El Derby.

If anyone is looking to play soccer (football) let me know as I am part of a group of expats that have teams and events as well as my kids play and I coach.

Thanks!

Matt
olonaleuridan

Postby olonaleuridan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am

Hello expats,

I just moved to Lima with my Peruvian husband and 7 month old daughter. We were living in Brooklyn prior to this, so it's a big change! But we are loving it so far. Although I lived in NYC for 12 years (basically since graduating from college), I grew up in Southeast Asia (my parents taught in the American International School system). So, in a way, living in Lima feels like "coming home".

That said, I don't speak Spanish (yet!) and don't know anyone outside of my husband's family. So I am looking to meet other young moms, etc. Also, if anyone happens to take ceramic classes, I am desperate to find a pottery studio. Yoga class suggestions are also very welcome.

One more plug -- I'm a freelance web designer/developer. Although I brought many of my NYC clients here with me, I am interested in branching out locally, so please feel free to contact me if you have any networking suggestions or web needs.

Looking forward to exploring Peru and meeting other expats,
Kate
emilirene

Postby emilirene » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:10 pm

¡Hola!
My husband, four year old son, and I are moving to Peru in about two months so that I can conduct fieldwork for my dissertation in cultural anthropology. We will live there for about a year. I still have so many details for us to work out! For example, we don't know exactly where we will live yet, somewhere around Lima is the plan. I'll be posting some questions in the forums soon.

We are originally from California, but have been living in the cold Pacific Northwest, so this is going to be a big change for us.

I would love to connect with other expat families, particularly if you have a preschool aged child.

Buenas noches -
Emily
marcomata

Postby marcomata » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello expats,

My name is Marco Mata. I am a Peruvian American living currently in TARAPOTO CITY. I am a Clemson University and University of South Florida graduate. I lived and worked in Columbia, South Carolina and Tampa, Florida. Moved back to my hometown Tarapoto in 2009 to set up my real estate and tourism businesses and have been here ever since. And I loved it.

PERU has changed a lot. The PERU of today is not the PERU of the early 1980-s and 1990-s. PERU is one of SouthAmericas tigers with lots of businesses and job opportunities. The sky is the limit for PERU. The PERUVIAN economy with continue to grow 6 plus % annually for the next 10 years and with that new jobs and businesses will be created, offering new opportunities for PERUVIANS and foreigners from around the world.

So if you are an American or European who happens to be passing by Tarapoto City, give me a call at 942663662 or at rpm #310646.

And continue enjoying your temporary or permanent stay in Peru.
Dannyboy1187

Postby Dannyboy1187 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 am

Hi all,

My name is Danny, I'm 26 and live in London with my Peruvian fiancé and we are looking to move to Lima to be closer to her family in Lima.

I would love to speak to you and get some information. It would be a good help as I seem to have loads of ideas but no idea what to do if you understand?

Hope to speak to you all soon!

Dan
Delphineshouse.com

Postby Delphineshouse.com » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Delphine. I'm French multilingual and live in Lima Peru since 8 years with my son (11). I rent independent access furnished studios and one full furnished flat within a big house. Guests share a pool fitness games (snooker, ping pong, futbol, basket, karaoke...).
Located in residential Surco 10 minutes by bike of Larcomar miraflores or Barranco, we receive all year foreign tourists.

Regards
Delphine :D

http://www.delphineshouse.com
facebook : [email protected]
jun1per

Postby jun1per » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello everyone. Me llamo Paige.

I'm from California, and feeling the need to stretch my legs and leave the country. I'm hoping to move to Peru and teach English, likely in Lima for the higher wage (what I found through my preliminary research, correct me if I'm wrong here!). I have several years of experience as a private tutor and took Spanish for several years also (I am, however, quite rusty...). It's encouraging to find other people pooling resources here, and makes me feel like this plan might actually get off the ground (it has been a far off dream for a long time).

emilirene wrote:My husband, four year old son, and I are moving to Peru in about two months so that I can conduct fieldwork for my dissertation in cultural anthropology....We are originally from California, but have been living in the cold Pacific Northwest, so this is going to be a big change for us.

I'm also studying Anthropology, and am from California as well. Thought I would say hello :)
Fitness_peruvian

Postby Fitness_peruvian » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 am

Hi Paige,
I am Saul, Lawyer, living in Lima-Peru. If you need information about migration peruvian rules or someone who can teach you free Spanish, just let me know. My Skype is heroe06 and e-mail [email protected]

Hugs!
Augie

Postby Augie » Fri May 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi everyone!

Though my name's Rob, you can call me Augie (I like the name August; it was was German grandfather's). I plan on collecting social security here in the US in October of 2015 when I turn 62 (I'll be getting about $850 a month); I then plan on retiring to a beachtown in Peru -- though I don't know exactly where just yet. As that $850 is about all I'll have to support myself, I was hoping that someone would be able to point me to a nice beach town that's very affordable (I know Lima's pretty much out of the question). I can live quite comfortably in a one-bedroom apartment with basic utilities (electric, heat/AC, internet) and the amount allotted doesn't seem to a problem. Am I right?

p.s. A decent night life is fairly important as I still like to party a bit; though I'm not into ILLEGAL recreational drugs. Will check back in Monday. Thanks! 8)
MythoMan

Postby MythoMan » Sat May 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Howdy,

Possibly relocating to Peru.
Visiting Lima & Nasca.

Anything scheduled Saturday night (tonight) or Sunday AM.

I just learned about ExPatPeru form a buddy.
Hoping to connect via email, messaging, face book or phone.

topics; organic farming, yoga, mythopoetics (jung, campbell, moore, bly), interactive theatre and foreign film

Best Regards,
Daniel
olympicsmarcela

Postby olympicsmarcela » Thu May 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Hello, My name is Marcela and I moved with my Peruvian husband and 19 month baby last August from Miami Florida. I live in la Molina and I am looking to meet moms with toddlers kids. I am a mother baby nurse. Currently, I am a not working by choice.

Thanks
Marcela
fibeopttix

Postby fibeopttix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi my name is Matthew Fierro, I am 24 and from the united states (Florida). I found this website to be particularly helpful with all of the information regarding Peru. I am trying to start a business here in Lima near surco to expand into other parts of Peru in the near future. If anyone knows some starting points or pointers they could give me, that would be extremely helpful! I think the first thing I need to do is aquire a residency here.
iscarr

Postby iscarr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 am

Hi everyone i'm Iesmaeel from Cape Town South Africa. As i was browsing i came across this forum and wow this is great. In all honesty i am ready to come to Peru (Lima) as in yesterday: i'm just in the process of figuring whether to find a job before I leave for Peru or when i'm there. I have recently completed my TEFL certification and read on a few forums that finding work in Lima wouldnt be hard at all?
thanks in advance :D
iscarr

Postby iscarr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:24 am

marcomata wrote:Hello expats,

My name is Marco Mata. I am a Peruvian American living currently in TARAPOTO CITY. I am a Clemson University and University of South Florida graduate. I lived and worked in Columbia, South Carolina and Tampa, Florida. Moved back to my hometown Tarapoto in 2009 to set up my real estate and tourism businesses and have been here ever since. And I loved it.

PERU has changed a lot. The PERU of today is not the PERU of the early 1980-s and 1990-s. PERU is one of SouthAmericas tigers with lots of businesses and job opportunities. The sky is the limit for PERU. The PERUVIAN economy with continue to grow 6 plus % annually for the next 10 years and with that new jobs and businesses will be created, offering new opportunities for PERUVIANS and foreigners from around the world.

So if you are an American or European who happens to be passing by Tarapoto City, give me a call at 942663662 or at rpm #310646.

And continue enjoying your temporary or permanent stay in Peru.

Hi Marco Mata

Im Iesmaeel, im from Cape Town South Africa. In the immediate future i plan on coming to Peru to find a job as an English (EFL) instructor. Are there any cities or individuals you could recommend i get in contact with? thanks in advance
CarloAmi

Postby CarloAmi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi. I'm Carlo Ami. Expat U.S. Have been living in Ecuador since last October: first Cuena, then vilcabamba.
Am looking at N Coastal Peru as a place to live for maybe a long time. Would like to make connections with English speaking people in Huanchaco and Mancora areas. Have a long way to go to be conversant in Spanish, but am motivated to do so.
Also, any insights on general safety in those towns and whether there are many English-speaking people there?
It would be great to connect online/Skype with people in those two towns before I arrive. I am outgoing and connect with all ages. I am 62.
Feel free to Skype or reply here.
Thanks,
Carlo
Oso

Postby Oso » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:10 am

Hello From Atlanta. This is my second post (still waiting for the mods to approve my first, ahem).

My name is Mark. I am married to a Peruana, but we live in Atlanta. I'll be traveling to Lima in late Dec so she can spend Christmas with the family. It's only the 2nd time we've done that in 16 years.

A couple of quick things about me. I met my wife while I was in the Army. I worked out of the embassy, attached to the Mil Group (if that means anything to you). I lived in Lima on two different occasions for 4 -5 months each time ( Monte Rico).

I rediscovered ExPatPeru recently while at a gathering of the Latin Mafia (my affectionate name for her group of Peruvian, Mexican, and Colombian friends here in the states) to watch Colombia / Brazil in the World Cup. Soccer kinda bores me so I was surfing on my phone.

We have two boys (11 & 5) that are very handsome. Peruvian / white American makes for some pretty children if I do say so myself.

Like many of you on the board who live full or part time in Peru, I've begun kicking around the idea of retirement abroad. I'm only 50 so I have a long way to go. I wonder if I would adjust though. During my Army career I traveled to, and lived in, several Central and South American countries for up to 6 months at a time. My first trip was 6 mos in Panama and I loved the whole crazy mix, the newness, different way of life, pretty girls, etc. However, by the end of my Army career, my tolerance for how things were done in whatever host country I found myself seemed to wane quicker and quicker.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you have an opinion, my first post was on the travel thread about the safety of tour operators in Nazca. Let me know if you have something to offer.

Cordially,
Mark
DAWilhoite

Re: Writer living in Lima now --

Postby DAWilhoite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi --
My name is David Wilhoite and I have been living in Lima about six months and I love it ----Have been finishing a novel so have not been looking for a job ----something i always wanted to do and now it's done ---
If you care to read it ---"The Wire Monkey" shows Lowell Hamilton as author --(but it's me) $2.99 on Amazon/Kindle ---would appreciate your comments and review at :[email protected] ---historical with a fictional character ----
I would like to take the boat trip to Iquitos--if you've experienced that I would like to know about it ---
American by birth but now Peruvian in my heart ---
have a great day --hope to hear from you ---
:D
lij317

Postby lij317 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Jill (or jillian), I'm 30 and we've been in Lima since mid-July.

My husband and I are recently married, we toured Peru on our honeymoon and are settling in Lima for my husband's work. He is a Chiropractor with an organization down here and we are awaiting his work Visa.

I'm currently unemployed (it feels very weird) but will try picking a few remote graphic design jobs here and there.

We are living in a temporary apartment in Miraflores (so many tourists in this area!). We've been having a difficult time finding something more long term in our price range, furnished, and will consider pets. We've got a dog and cat that are still living in the states and we'd like to bring the dog (Maggie) down in November.

I'm really struggling to learn spanish and also a bit lonely when my husband is at work every day - so if anyone would like to meet for coffee or to laugh at my inability to speak Spanish, that would be wonderful :)
IrisSphere

Postby IrisSphere » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I am Canadian (28F) and will be moving to Peru at the end of September to join my fiance in Lima. I am super excited to start our life together since we've been doing long distance for the last 4 months (Toronto-Lima). We met while doing our MBAs, but he got an amazing opportunity in Lima where he has been for the last few months.

I am taking intensive spanish classes, and hope to reach the intermediate level before I leave, but of course would need lots of practice! Been to Peru twice now (once a long time ago, and once to visit the boy). I am still trying to explore all the options work wise, and starting to dig deep into the visa issues. Luckily, he is a lawyer by training, and might be able to wrangle some friends to help us navigate the system.

Once I am there, would love to meet any like-minded expats for a coffee and introductions!
Kruemel87

Postby Kruemel87 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 am

Hello!
I'm 27, female, from Germany and came a week ago to Lima to start a semester at the USIL. In Germany I'm studying media and cultural studies. I'm living here with a host family. I learned spanish for 3 semesters at my home university. It isn't that good by now but because of living in a spanish speaking family I'm forced to speak it every day and it's getting better every day :)
But unitl university starts next monday I would like to go out a bit, take a walk in the city, have a drink, see some nice spots or have a trip to somewhere else in Peru. So if someone likes to meet, please contact me :)
Grande Gringo

Postby Grande Gringo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Hola Everyone,

I'm joining this forum because I was offered a job in Arequipa today so I plan to work in Peru for awhile. I need to work on my Spanish. Has anyone used Rosetta Stone and is it a good product?

I live in the NW of the USA and have never been south of Mexico and I'm very tall at 6'6" (1.98M), hence, Grande Gringo.

Anyway, I'm excited to come to Peru and immerse in the culture and language.

Hasta Luego,
amd249

Postby amd249 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:18 am

Hello everyone, I've been visiting the site for quite some time and it's been a helpful source of information.
I'm glad to be part of this forum and eager to get to know more people from around the world living in Peru.

I was born in Peru but moved to US during my teens. I've moved back and I've been studying here for the last couple of years. Yet every now and then I end up in a situation feeling out place. Idk if I'm stuck in some sort of expat-limbo or something. >.<

Anyhow. Hope to see more interesting posts about current issues and any activities that this community will have in the future. Greetings to all!
practicaljames

Postby practicaljames » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:09 am

Hi everyone! I'm James from Australia. I have been to Peru for about six months when we got a vacation last year. I am trying to have a chit chat about things in Peru because i have met plenty of good people in Peru and I am trying to get myself once again to visit the country. I do engage myself to know more about places and Peru is one of them.
evemaria27

Postby evemaria27 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi!

My name is Ever, and I currently live in Lima. I am originally from Peru, but moved to the states when I was 5, and have visited several times throughout the years. Now, I am back and will be living here for a while. My husband is a doctor and I work from home...and hangout with Valentina (our daughter :))

I would love to hear more about other peoples experiences as well as "things to do" in Lima - clubs, get together, activities for kids, etc... I am currently looking for information on baby formula - Similac Advance. I brought over several cans but I am running out and am debating on which formula to give to my daughter. I was wondering if there was the exact kind here in Lima? Any suggestions or info would be of great help.

Look forward to hearing from y'all :)

E
margaretn

Postby margaretn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi! I'm a new member. My name is Margaret...I was raised in Alabama and have spent the last 20 years in California, USA. I have recently married a Peruvian and we are moving to his home town of Tarapoto!
Any and all advice is welcomed for this gringo!

My spanish is very poor so I would love to make any and all contacts for friends, job references etc.!

I love animals, the outdoors, having a few beers with friends, cooking, really laid back and easy going.

Also, we are trying to purchase a home, does anyone know how much down payment is necessary for a bank mortgage loan in Peru? And the current interest rates? The home asking price is $70,000 US. As a US citizen will I be able to have my name on the house deed once we have completed making payments?

Thanks again!
Looking forward to my new home and friends in the Jungle! :D
scano

Postby scano » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi all,
Always great to hear about people enjoying life in lima.i am from australia and have been travelling to peru since 2010.i really enjoy it here and now i live peru.i am a qualified electrician and i understand the reliabity of people turning up can be a problem or if you would like english speaking service and you are in a bind and have problems with your washing machine or clothes dryer or any electrical problems drop me a line and i'm sure i can help.enjoy living in peru,i know i do!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register