Introduce Yourself!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
GaboBraun

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby GaboBraun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am very new here as well, my name is Gabriel Braun, and I am born in Cuzco 39 years ago. I have not been back to Peru in many years, but will be moving there with my wife and 2 young daughters in the next month or so. I am very excited to start my new life in Peru, I hear so many good things about the economy, and how Peru is better than ever now. I used to work as a real state agent in California, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about being one in Lima. I was able to make pretty good money selling real estate and I am wondering if I can do the same In Lima. I love to surf as well and go to the gym, I also play percussion and love peruvian music. I am looking to move to Barranco or Miraflores and start working for a real estate company asap. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I am looking forward to meeting new people and making some good friends! I also can not wait to eat my heart out, other than the great people, man I sure do miss the food, mmm...
Any other surfers in this blog? how about musicians?
best regards to all!
Gabriel

fernando.uk

Postby fernando.uk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 am

Hello everyone:
I found this web last week and happy to introduce myself. I live in Manchester, UK at the moment but I intend to be living in Peru from 2012. I apologise beforehand for any mistake in my spelling cos I am not English native.
I have been living in the Manchester area since 2004, although I have permanent job and make a decent life here, I think I’m missing something in life. I’m married to a beauty Peruvian girl and been to Peru three times in the past, I enjoyed its cuisine, the big mountains, the beaches and the socializing side of the society; We had a great time down there :D .
I am from Argentina and lived in Spain for five years before moved to UK, I plan to set up a small business in Lima and all the information that it can be found here is really useful and handy.
I want to thank the ExpatPeru web for the opportunity to participate in its forums and all the information it provides to the newbies in this adventure.
Kind Regards.
Fernando
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:50 am

fernando.uk wrote:I apologise beforehand for any mistake in my spelling cos I am not English native.

never stopped anyone from posting here before.
:-)~mike~(-:
RichPeru63

Postby RichPeru63 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 pm

GaboBraun wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am very new here as well, my name is Gabriel Braun, and I am born in Cuzco 39 years ago. I have not been back to Peru in many years, but will be moving there with my wife and 2 young daughters in the next month or so. I am very excited to start my new life in Peru, I hear so many good things about the economy, and how Peru is better than ever now. I used to work as a real state agent in California, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about being one in Lima. I was able to make pretty good money selling real estate and I am wondering if I can do the same In Lima. I love to surf as well and go to the gym, I also play percussion and love peruvian music. I am looking to move to Barranco or Miraflores and start working for a real estate company asap. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I am looking forward to meeting new people and making some good friends! I also can not wait to eat my heart out, other than the great people, man I sure do miss the food, mmm...
Any other surfers in this blog? how about musicians?
best regards to all!
Gabriel

I absolutely agree Peruvian food is the greatest! So are the people and the landscape! One of the first things I'm likely to have when I get there is a nice Chicha Morada! :D
anagalloway

Postby anagalloway » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello to the "introduce yourself" forum!

My name is Ana, I'm 23 years old and from New Zealand. I have moved to Peru two months ago with my boyfriend Antonio who is from here. Previously I was travelling in U.K. and Europe for a couple of years.

We have moved to Tacna and slowly setting up our life here with a new tattoo business, which is a great adventure. I am trying to pick up the language and sometimes find myself getting a little frustrated with my slow progress but in time it will come.

Now I am searching for some travelling people or some people who speak English to meet up with for a coffee and a chat in Tacna. I really hope I'm not the only foreigner here??? haha

Hope to hear from you soon,
Ana the Kiwi :lol:
SFGirl

Postby SFGirl » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello All!

Nice to meet everyone! I was so excited to find this website. I have been super homesick.

My name is Lisa ,30, and I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, the Yay! I am a Cali girl through and through. I met my husband, Eduardo from Huanuco, Peru, in SF at work and we got married right away in 2004. We have 1 son who is 4 and are expecting our second son in June. We moved to Pucallpa, Peru last September, for business and his family, after the economy tanked is the US.

I wasn´t planning to move here, but had visited twice before. I like Peru, but the language and cultural barriers for me have been very hard.

I really miss the states. If anyone can help me adapt here, it would be greatly appreciated. I miss my food so much! If you have some advice for me about language or culture that can help please email me at [email protected]
TimG

Postby TimG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi to whomever,

My name is Tim and I will be in Peru from June until August. I am a chiropractor and am looking to settle in Peru. I have never been down there and don't know a soul. It is time for the plunge. I will be Cusco for a month and then, whatever happens is up to me. I will be getting certified in teaching English in Cusco, but am looking for advice and opportunity for chiropractic as well (or maybe something else. We will see).
Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
bama_man205

Joe... from Alabama

Postby bama_man205 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 am

Hello to the ExPat Peruvian community!

My name is Joe and I moved to Lima a couple of weeks ago with my family. My wife is from the Surco area of Lima, I am from rural Alabama, and we have one 2 year old with another on the way. We met in Tampa while I was in the Marines and got married in 2006. After graduating from University of South Florida (Go Bulls) we decided to give Peru a try for a while. We are not sure how long we will be staying here because I have applied to graduate schools in Canada and that is our second option.

I am curios to find out what everyone does for work here and how easy it is to maintain the lifestyle that we are used to. Any advice on finding well paying jobs or business opportunities would be appreciated.
GringoDean

Postby GringoDean » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:03 am

Name name is Dean and looking to move to Peru, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The most important thing is to get a feel for the country and real estate pricing.

I don't need to work, but will most likely engage in restoring old Land Cruisers and UniMogs.

Do you know where I could find some pricing on real estate??
mattpelletier

Postby mattpelletier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi. My girlfriend Anjuli and I just moved to Lima from the US. We have been saving up and finally quit our jobs recently with the intention of living in South America this year. Our goals are to finish becoming fluent in Spanish, understand the different South American cultures, and to find and study indigenous cultures here, especially those that are in danger of disappearing. Our broader goal is to do this in different parts of the world as long as we can afford to, but we're staying in South America for as long as it takes to feel like we understand this part of the world better.

We arrived almost 2 weeks ago and are living in Miraflores until the beginning of May while we get settled, meet people and research where to go next. We're interested in finding different volunteer / research assistant opportunities and have joined SAE and WWOOF (in Ecuador) to help find the right resources.

Right now we are trying to find people that we can speak Spanish with on a semi-regular basis. We are both somewhere between beginner and intermediate, though we are finding our written and spoken Spanish is much better than our ability to hear native accents. We are in the process of looking for a tutor, but we would also like to find people willing to just talk with us, either in exchange for English, or for a small fee, or just for fun. Peruvian Spanish does not seem particularly difficult to understand, and in some cases it is perfectly clear, but we are finding that in general we are having a hard time hearing it clearly due to speed and lack of familiarity, so finding people that can work with us to improve our hearing is essential. Any recommendations?

So hello everyone, and if you happen to know how we could meet some people to chat with or how to go about meeting people in general, please give me a shout, matt AT spelunkus DOT com.

Thanks!
Matt and Anjuli
crystina

Postby crystina » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Everyone!

My name is Crystina, 25. I'm from Phoenix, Arizona and currently living in Playa Samara, Costa RIca. I came to Central America to receive my TEFL certificate and will be moving for a job (whoopee!!) in Cusco next week. I will be in Cusco for approximately 6 months before I return to the states. I'd love to meet some new people when I get there since I won't know a soul and I'm traveling solita. Also, does anyone have housing advice? The school I am with helps me out for the first few days or so... but I haven't been able to find any apartments or shares on the internet.

Any advice is helpful :)

Crystina
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
vicalt74

Postby vicalt74 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:01 am

Hi

My name is Vic. Im Australian and currently have been living in London for the last 7 years. Moving to Peru to be with my girlfriend, Ill be in Peru over Easter for 10 days just to suss out the place and then will make the permanent move in June if all goes well.

Have been reading all the forums and getting lots of great information which has been really helpful. Just a little worried about finding work there in Finance. Dont really speak any spanish but my plan is to go to school for the 1st month or so.

Cheers
Vic
gwrapper

Postby gwrapper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello,

I am an American currently living in Oregon but am awaiting my passport so as to relocate to Cajamarca for work. I will be relocating with my wife and three children for approximately 2.5 years and am very excited. Have any of you relocated with children and how did that go for you? Also is anyone familiar with Cajamarca and have any useful info.
soloalpaca

Postby soloalpaca » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 am

Hola Peru
Let me introduce myself. My name is Steven Williams, currently living in the UK with my Peruvian wife (Patty) and 2 kids. We visit Peru annually through our business importing Alpaca into the UK, however we have decided now is the time to see about moving out, hopefully to settle in Lima or Arequipa . We have family in both, though Arequipa is preferable due to the Alpaca connection

I love the country, adore the locals. we haven't had much to do with the British Expat community apart from the odd business meeting at the British Embassy in Miraflores. I am a strong believer in mixing with the locals as this really adds to my Peru visit experience.

Gaining employment is a nightmare in Peru. I have emailed dozens of CV’s to companies, many of whom I have contacts in (any further contacts would be welcome in the Alpaca manufacturing or export industry) I will not give up.

I can buy Cuzquena in Sainbury’s now so Peru is never far away. MMMM!!!

Write back!
Steven
karlandrewla

Postby karlandrewla » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:57 am

Visiting Lima in August for a few weeks. I'm very excited but would like to have some contacts down there by the time I visit. Does anyone know of any kind of a social networking site, where a person can make contact with other individuals with common interests. I can also be reached at [email protected].. Thanks!
Hawaii2011

Postby Hawaii2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:24 am

My name is Bruno I was born in Peru and left when i was 19 and live in Hawaii for 20 years Now i'm back here for work
The change has been radical but Peru has many beautiful places to see specially the surf here is fantastic
I will be here for work one more year and surfing.

Aloha
snugthejoiner

Postby snugthejoiner » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi y'all
I am Dale Rosen and met a few people the other evening at the Anniversary dinner.
I am an America, spent all my life in California (except one year in Marines in Hawaii) until I moved here to Surco a bit over a year ago to live with my new wife of 8 months, Natali.
I am a retired headhunter and while back in the USA I was a busy man with lots of great interests I find it a bit difficult here in Peru. Spanish is new for me and I just haven't found the relationships and things to do that make me tick. For example I am an accomplished stained glass artist. I am awaiting the arrival of my tools.
Baseball has been a life-time passion. Coached little league, attended over 20 Oakland A's games a year, still in a fantasy league, collected memorabilia. I was an actor in community theatre and on several theatre boards (had one year as an artistic director for one). Still have a big motorcycle back in the states. Miss taking it on long rides. (2 summers ago I rode it 8400 miles through 15 states and 2 Canadian provinces).
I am very interested in making some new friends.
Thanks
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Dale - it was great to meet you the other night. Welcome to the forum!
ufodigest

Postby ufodigest » Sun May 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi my name is Dirk Vander Ploeg and my wife and I plan to visit Peru with the idea of eventually living there. I am close to retirement but plan to continue my Internet business from anywhere in the world I can get a reliable internet connection.

We need advice on the following:

we plan to visit Peru in the next 6 months, possibly next month, and stay about 3-weeks. We plan to purchase a cottage on the coast for about $100,000-$150,000 US. My wife doesn't want to commit to anything until she is certain where she wants to live.

At present we live in a cottage on Lake Erie, Ontario, Canada.

So my question is: should we rent an apartment for 3-weeks to a month and then set out exploring the country, or should we centralize in Lima or Cuzco and visit local areas only?

One of things we are considering is visiting PUNTA SAL and purchasing a cottage on or near the beach.

How practical is it to rent your premises when out of Peru. I would like to spend 6-months in Canada, 6-months in Peru.

I run several websites and write and my goal is to explore Peru.

Your feedback regarding the above and anything else you would like to volunteer would be appreciated.
PatrickA11

Postby PatrickA11 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm

All - Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Patrick and I too am from Florida - Winter Park to be exact. There must be a reason we're all jumping ship! Anyway, I arrive in Peru in a couple of weeks to try and ply my ESL trade and see what else is available (super original I know). I returned in August of last year after a 3 year SE Asia tour, spent mostly in Vientiane, Laos PDR. I met some very good people there and enjoyed my time a great deal (a little too much every once in a while!) I am looking forward to meeting the same kind of unpretentious, laid back but focused (work hard, play hard) folks in Lima. Not being the only American in town will be a new one as well - I will no longer be the sole authority on Bush, Obama, American football and explaining exactly what a redneck is. Glad to know there are many yanquis who have boldly blazed a wide swath before me. I am excited about this latest chapter and look forward to meeting many of you in the near future. Until then......Cheers!
lioness Naphtali

Postby lioness Naphtali » Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm Lioness....I am married to roaringlion59. We have been married for 13 years and we have 4 children...Ayala 14, Aniyah 11, Aliya 9, and Abel 6. I am a Writer and my husband is a Chef...we are also Ministers of the Gospel. We are both originally from the US, and we are both Native English speakers...But we are learning Spanish...lol :D We are planning to move to Arequipa next month, and we are looking to meet some friends that live in that area and can speak English...if you know anyone, please have them contact me at [email protected] :wink: We are moving to Arequipa to hopefully get a new start in life, fellowship with good people, experience Peruvian culture and to share the gospel with our Peruvian Brothers and Sisters. I also have many other diffrent gifts, skills, and talents that I am hoping to contribute....praying for a smooth transition and that we would find work and a home....we would very much like to make Peru our permanent residence....we feel that this is where The Most High (God) is leading us. I have experience in childcare, teaching, cosmetology, ministry work, housekeeping, cooking, etc. Is it easy to find jobs there doing any of these things? Where do I start to look?
Ottawajim

Postby Ottawajim » Thu May 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi, my name is jim, ahnd have reached that famous age of 65 so I can now retire in peace. I have been to Peru (Lima, Piura, and Mancora beach) about four different times in the last five years and I love the country. My spanish is limited, so I am working on improving that. Working on when I can move, more than likely in the next six months.
I intend on moving to Mira Flores or surrounding area. Just joined this forum, so have lots of reading to do and more than likely will have lots of questions. Have lived in Canada most of my like with stays in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario. Spent a few years in the military and had stays in Cyprus and Germany.
plcmts17

Postby plcmts17 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Hello,
My name is Juan. I'm from the states, but originally from Texas. I will be here in Lima for work
until September with the possibility of coming back for a longer stay sometime next year.
So far my stay in Lima has been pleasant, but I'm looking to get out more and experience
as much as possible.
My Castellano is a little rusty, but hopefully by the time I leave I"ll have all my tenses down
cold :D
Laters!
JaneM

Postby JaneM » Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm

cleo wrote:Hi and hello everyone. I'm a South African living in Lima for almost two years. Met my Peruvian husband and fell in love and I guess the rest is history. Here I am missing my country , language , customs. I never thought I say this... I miss South Africa.

Anyone out there feels the same.......

Hi Cleo,

Yes, I feel the same...I´m from Australia and moved to Piura, in the far north of Peru, at the beginning of the year, as my Peruvian husband and I wanted to live here for a couple of years for his job. Feeling a little lonely for friends and the wide, open, free spaces of Australia. I can sympathise.
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Wed May 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello all! I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I'm not entirely sure how I found this website but I'm glad that I did. I'm moving to Peru in July to hopefully study there. I can speak Spanish for the most part but I can't spell for the life of me, I hope have a Spanish spell check installed on my computer :lol:
Alanc31

Postby Alanc31 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 am

Hi, I'm Alan, figured I'd say hello after lurking about for a bit (this site was a great resource for me pre-move). I've been in Miraflores for about two weeks now (though I'm not new to Peru -- got married here in 2005 (my wife is from here, though we met when she lived in New York) and made 9 or 10 trips to visit before beginning what will hopefully be a long-term stay). So far so good, though I don't think I will ever get used to the driving here (especially around that Starbucks-Wongs-Pinkberry circle (sorry, the circle's name keeps escaping me)). I've been exploring more and more of the neighborhood, though still getting my bearings, and my spanish is pretty horrible, which is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I've got two little girls, and they're picking it up far quicker than I am, which is both heart-warming and depressing. Anyway, I've got a whole laundry list of questions I'm sure I'll soon be bugging everyone with. In return, well, I can offer some great restaurant recommendations for Manhattan :)
JaneM

Postby JaneM » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 am

Hi all,

I'm an Australian, I moved here in February with my Peruvian husband...I'm not in Lima, but way up in the north in Piura, near the border with Ecuador. Piura's a small town, definitely not a cosmopolitan part of the world, but interesting. If anyone else is up north, feel free to get in touch!
JaneM

Postby JaneM » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

vicalt74 wrote:Hi

My name is Vic. Im Australian and currently have been living in London for the last 7 years. Moving to Peru to be with my girlfriend, Ill be in Peru over Easter for 10 days just to suss out the place and then will make the permanent move in June if all goes well.

Have been reading all the forums and getting lots of great information which has been really helpful. Just a little worried about finding work there in Finance. Dont really speak any spanish but my plan is to go to school for the 1st month or so.

Cheers
Vic

Hi Vic,

Just browsing through the posts and noticed yours, a fellow Aussie. Are you and your girlfriend planning to move here still in June?

From what I understand, jobs in international companies are easier to find for those who speak English, but they probably require Spanish too. Not sure if Peru is the place for a career in banking/broking - but perhaps accounting. The stock exchange here is really small, not sure if that's the type of finance you're in - if not, there are large multinationals like Pfizer and Proctor and Gamble who may have something?

Whereabouts in Australia are you from?

Cheers

Jane
lilianacandela

Postby lilianacandela » Sun May 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there!
My name is Liliana and im a peruvian girl that lives in Lima. I'm looking for friends from US to practice my English with and instead i can teach you Spanish...and if you have a doubt about Lima , i may be able to help you:) I hope all of you like or will like in here. i totally recomment you our food(ceviche, arroz con pollo, lomo saltado) because its really spectacular:)
wish all of you the best here and hope to here from you soon!!
Nos vemos amigos!
Annie2

Postby Annie2 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 am

Hello,

My name is Ann, and my husband and I have been living in Lima for the past couple of months. We will be here for another 4-6 weeks, as my husband is working here. We are Canadian.
Lima is amazing, and we are enjoying our stay here.
I am, however, finding it difficult to access information-and no doubt, the language barrier is a huge contributing factor. So...I am appealing to anyone out there who may be able to help me!
I have been taking Spanish lessons , and it is painfully slow for me. Can anyone recommend a school to take Spanish? I am not 100% satisfied with the one I am attending now, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also am considering having plastic surgery done while we are here.
Has anyone here had any experience with any clinic here, or know of anyone who has? I do not know anyone here in the city, and am a little hesitant to blindly go to a place that I found on line.

Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to perhaps meeting some of you in the future!!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Annie -
Welcome to the Expat Peru forum!

There have been a number of posts on both Spanish schools and plastic surgery - using the search box up at the top will help you find previous posts. :) If you can't find an answer you're happy with, feel free to start a new thread.

Kelly
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 am

G'Day, I am Tony, I am from Australia (Well Tasmania anyway, it's pretty close)just moved here to Lima and married my fiancé on the 29th April. That was also my birthday. My wife Vilma decided on that date, so I would not forget the anniversary date. Something to do with the date we met in 2008 (either the 8th or 10th of October or November)and the date we became engaged in 2009. (either the 8th or 10th of October or November)A wise woman some would say and yes I would agree, it is one of the reasons I married her.

I spent a reasonable amount of time in Peru previously as well as travelled extensively through Chile and some parts of Colombia. I love the South American culture, people, food and history. Now I am here, I would enjoy making contact with other Expats who need to brush up on their English, while trying to negotiate the dreaded Spanish lessons. I admit I am quite looking forward to becoming more proficient in the language so I can blend into the Peruvian society, Pero aprendo muy lentamente, para cinco anos aprendo muy lentamente.

So at this point in time, I have had experience in what it takes to get married in Perú. Dealing with Serpost, collecting anything you send from your home country and am in the process of dealing with the getting a visa for permanent residency.
MJisaNOMAD
Location: San Francisco, USA (Currently) Arequipa, Peru (JAN 2012)

MJ from San Francisco, USA

Postby MJisaNOMAD » Thu May 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi,

I'm MJ, 24, originally from San Francisco. I am a member of Couchsurfing.org and have hosted Peruvians in my home as well as stayed in their homes while in Peru. I am very active in the Couchsurfing community and enjoy bringing people together, seeing and experiencing new things, and participating in a global community.

I've been to Peru 11 times in the last 6 years. Every time I'm in Peru I find myself in Arequipa and from the very first time, I knew I would live there someday. I'm currently in the process of having that dream come true. My plan is to move to Arequipa in January 2012. Once there I plan to teach English privately.

I have traveled extensively in South America but Peru has been my favorite. I love the people, culture, and history of the the country; but the food by far is one of my favorite things, can't get enough Cuy and Ceviche. I chose Arequipa because its relatively small population (esp. when compared to Lima) which will allow me to be fully immersed in Spanish, the markets, and most of all Misti at sunset.

In the next few months I'll be in the process of tying up the loose ends of my life here in the States and begin the painful task of job, apartment, and friend hunting.

I'm happy to be on this forum, and look forward to being part of this online community.

Sincerely,

MJ De La Cruz
- MJ De La Cruz
Arequipa, Peru (JAN 2012)
Einstejn

Postby Einstejn » Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 am

I'm Joel. I live in Washington, DC. I've been married to a lovely Peruvian woman for 10 years and have been to Peru five or six times. We will move to Peru when the time is right. For now, we are trying to envision what we will do to make a living when we do move to Peru and where we might live in Lima. I'd prefer to live somewhere like Arequipa or Trujillo but being close to our family in Lima is important. This list is informative and has all the personalities that an expat community should have. I've been an expatriated American before and appreciate that it takes all types. I actually think that I've been lurking on this forum for about four or five years now so I feel like I know many of you already. Thanks for sharing.
RichPeru63

Postby RichPeru63 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:25 pm

lilianacandela wrote:Hi there!
My name is Liliana and im a peruvian girl that lives in Lima. I'm looking for friends from US to practice my English with and instead i can teach you Spanish...and if you have a doubt about Lima , i may be able to help you:) I hope all of you like or will like in here. i totally recomment you our food(ceviche, arroz con pollo, lomo saltado) because its really spectacular:)
wish all of you the best here and hope to here from you soon!!
Nos vemos amigos!

Hi, my name is Richard from the United States. I'm planning to move to Lima in the near future. I'm learning Spanish and although I'm far from being bilingual, I have learned some. I wish you the best in finding somebody who will help you with English. At the end of this year, we should be living in the same city.
I visited Lima, Peru a few times and tried the food. All I can say is that it's excellent! :D
Small Town Expat

Hello From a Small Town Expat

Postby Small Town Expat » Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi everyone. I am one of those expats thats prefers to live in a smaller city (well smaller compared to Lima). I feel that living in a smaller town/city is more calm and way less stressful than living in a large captial.

In addition, the costs are much cheaper and the people are very nice. If one can adjust to the slower pace, thwn I would reccommend a smaller town.

If you live in a small town in Peru,please let me know where and drop me a line..thanks.
stardust

Postby stardust » Mon May 30, 2011 10:42 pm

My name is Fatiyah Al Muhktar. I am from Pakistan. I am 24.

I live at San Isidro. I live at Peru since January. I would like to meet other girls to go shopping.
I don't drink and do not eat porc.

I love swiming and gym but I cannot go in Peru because swiming pools and gyms are mixed.

Peru is nice. People have a lot of respect for muslim people.

I teach arabic language and teach people about the holy Koran. I worked before in US.

I am member of the MWL.

http://www.mwlusa.org/
Ottawajim

Postby Ottawajim » Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am

Hi, My name is jIm and I am making the decision to move to Peru (Lima) in October, just reached that wonderful 65 (ha, ha) in April. My main concern is the health system (do I just sign up with one of the clinics) If I get a resident visa, am I allowed to work for a Canadian company as a local employee. Going to be spending a lot of time on spanish lessons (ha, ha). I have been to Lima, Piura and Mancora beach. I have been to peru about 5 times and just loved it.
Jim
Daniela_Lima

Postby Daniela_Lima » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Hola todos!

My name is Daniela, I am Australian and arrived less than a week ago to Lima. I am here for work, but I wanted to make contact with some other people that might be keen to do some sight seeing or to go for a drink one afternoon on a Sunday. Sitting at restaurants with my work at night is ok for the first week, but I feel a little boring after a while!! I am living just near the El Polo commercial centre. I haven't really worked out how to get around yet but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Is anyone doing anything tomorrow during the elections? Most things will be closed hey? :(

Saludos!
Daniela
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:04 am

Daniela_Lima wrote:Hola todos!

My name is Daniela, I am Australian and arrived less than a week ago to Lima. I am here for work, but I wanted to make contact with some other people that might be keen to do some sight seeing or to go for a drink one afternoon on a Sunday. Sitting at restaurants with my work at night is ok for the first week, but I feel a little boring after a while!! I am living just near the El Polo commercial centre. I haven't really worked out how to get around yet but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Is anyone doing anything tomorrow during the elections? Most things will be closed hey? :(

Saludos!
Daniela

Do not worry Daniela, As a reasonably new Australian here myself, I have already found out that Peru is a seven day a week city. will be plenty of things open today.
briloop

Postby briloop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Saludos!

My name is Mike. My wife Gloria and I live in Central Texas, near Austin. My wife is from Cartagena, Colombia.

My wife has a friend who lives in Cartagena. My wife's friend met a guy from Lima. They might get married and live in Lima.

I'm eligible to retire in less than six months. I am contemplating several options, one of which would involve retirement in a Latin American country.

My wife is interested in Lima because her friend might be moving there and it's close to Colombia. I am interested in Lima because of its mild weather and cost of living.

By the way, Peru is not the first country we have considered for a retirement destination. We have looked at Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, Panama, Brazil, Colombia, and Nicaragua. Each country has its advantages and disadvantages. I've been to Mexico and Colombia, but not any of the others.

I just started researching Peru about a week ago. I hope we can take an exploratory trip to Lima either this year or next.

Photography is a serious hobby for me. I will try to make a part-time income from photography when I retire. I think Peru would be a great place for photography. Lima is conveniently located for travel to other South American countries for photographic opportunities.

I have a million questions about Lima and Peru, give or take a few thousand. Please be kind and patient and forgiving if I ask a question previously asked.

Hasta luego,
Mike
carloseduardo

Postby carloseduardo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 am

Hello To All,
I am Carlos Eduardo. My name sounds spanish, but I am a total gringo. I am seriously considering relocating to Lima, from Florida in the USA, sometime around January 2012. Like a lot of people both inside and outside Peru, I will be closely monitoring how a lot of things develop/change/evolve based on the election of Senor Humala. I have many many questions, on a wide range of topics, but I will post those in the subject areas where they seem the most appropriate to be posted. For now, let me just conclude by saying hello to all, it is my pleasure to be here and to be part of your group!
Thanks!
CarlosEduardoJaramillo
ig_global

Postby ig_global » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Isabel, I am from originally from Miraflores, but moved to the US with my family 15 years ago. I am a translator and an interpreter, I am also a Spanish tutor and conduct private lessons via skype. In Lima I rent 3 rooms and 1 studio in Miraflores in what used to be my own apartment.

I like to stay connected to my home country, miss it to pieces, and would like to identify an opportunity to do business from Ohio, perhaps working as an agent, distributor or something which would allow me to work in Ohio in a partnership with a Peruvian business.

In the meantime, it is great to see how much Peru is growing and attracting really great people like all of you guys at the expat peru forum!

Isabel
Hegadil
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Hegadil » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:31 pm

Hola, G'Day, Bonjour, Hi,

I'm Vince squelching around in moldy old Tacoma, WA. I've been in Guate, El Salvador, Argentina, DR, the Rioplatenses and Mexico. Nothing sounds as attractive as the Altiplano, "the apotheosis of all deserts" as Steven King described the fictional great Mulhane Desert. My job here minus rising prices can be summed up in a maxim I once heard:"If I'm going to starve to death, I don't want to work at it." In a few years I reach 52 and will grab early SS so fast even Congress won't see it happen. It's not much, but should do me fine in Peru, as I have lots of practice doing without. Meantime, I am planning a look/see next month and who knows but what we won't cross paths? I sure do miss the Latin friendliness (though understandably not so abundant among the indigenous) after three years here. And where do I go to meet interesting singles apart from tourist magnets?
carloseduardo

Postby carloseduardo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

You said "reach 52" in your post. Surely you meant to say 62. If any SS pension income is possible at 52, I would sure like to know about it!
Thanks!
CarlosEduardoJaramillo
helen.mcdonald

Postby helen.mcdonald » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Hello everyone : )

My name is Helen, and I will be living in Lima for 2 months to learn Spanish. I'm due to arrive this weekend, and I am a little nervous! Tomorrow I will fly out from Australia (as long as all the flights are running on time due to the Chilean volcanic ash clouds!).
I will be staying with the extended family of a very sweet Peruvian man I met a few months ago in Brazil. I have my fingers crossed that this will go as well as I would like it to. My family and friends are naturally worried for me as I will be 'alone' and far away. Joining an Expatriate web-group was suggested to me, and that's why I'm here :D
I'll be starting Spanish classes next week. I want to be able to speak conversational Spanish fluently by the end of the 2 months! so will be trying my best to immerse myself in the language and culture.
I will keep an eye out for any Expact social gatherings happening as it would be lovely to meet some of you (and speak English! haha).

Helen
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm

helen.mcdonald wrote:Hello everyone : )

My name is Helen, and I will be living in Lima for 2 months to learn Spanish. I'm due to arrive this weekend, and I am a little nervous! Tomorrow I will fly out from Australia (as long as all the flights are running on time due to the Chilean volcanic ash clouds!).
I will be staying with the extended family of a very sweet Peruvian man I met a few months ago in Brazil. I have my fingers crossed that this will go as well as I would like it to. My family and friends are naturally worried for me as I will be 'alone' and far away. Joining an Expatriate web-group was suggested to me, and that's why I'm here :D
I'll be starting Spanish classes next week. I want to be able to speak conversational Spanish fluently by the end of the 2 months! so will be trying my best to immerse myself in the language and culture.
I will keep an eye out for any Expact social gatherings happening as it would be lovely to meet some of you (and speak English! haha).

Helen

Good luck Helen, I am an aussie too and i reckon it is dang hard to learn spanish here - the locals speak so fast!
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:43 am

I can help there Helen. I'm nearly an Australian, I leave my Island State of Tasmania to fly overseas to mainland Australia. Lucky we do not need a passport. Follow the posts about the weekly coffee group, we meet every Tuesday at Starbucks in San Isidro at 4.00 p.m. There are two Starbucks in the same street, so check the map through Kelly's thread. Oh, and make sure you check what the immigration writes on your passport. If they are having a bad day, you might only get 30 days. That happened to me. The coffee group posts will be refreshed every monday as a reminder to anyone who wants to attend. Cheers and enjoy your stay
andrespalma

Postby andrespalma » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:18 am

Hi all,

I am Andres, and even though I am Chilean and native Spanish speaker I've found interesting and useful to sign up for accessing this forum. I'm 40 years old, and I'll be here in Lima for the next three years as the general manager of a strategic communications company. I live in San Isidro and like running (so far I've ran three 42k marathons), and would like to meet people to share training, or to get along and have a cup of coffee or a pisco now and then.
skareem

Postby skareem » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, I am a newbie here too!

My name is Sam and I am currently living in Texas but been thinking of moving south of the borders for quite sometime.
I have Panama's residency but beginning to dislike living there and Peru sounds more promising.

I am thinking of giving it a visit by the end of this year to check it out and take it from there.

I am a US citizen but have worked all over the world hence I don't have the usual attachment to one single country. No baggage whatsoever either.

Looking forward to calling it off in Peru :)

Best of luck to all,
Sam.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register