Tourist visa extensions now being given?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
naturegirl

Tourist visa extensions now being given?

Postby naturegirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Supposedly there are no extensions, though I've heard rumours that if you go to get less than 180 days, you can go to Immigrations and extend your visa up to 180 days.

Anyone know if this is true?

stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:56 am

I heard this too, but don´t remember where. If we didn´t hear it from the same place, it´s probably true.

It wouldn´t really be an extension, just a granting of your full 180 days as available by law. You can´t extend beyond 180 days.

My understanding.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm

So in essence, you CAN get extensions, up to 180 days.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:58 pm

naturegirl wrote:So in essence, you CAN get extensions, up to 180 days.

Not sure where I heard it, so I couldn´t be sure.
dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:45 am

I'll let you know, because I need to try it. When I entered on May 1 this year they gave me 180 days. I left on May 21 to go to my daughters wedding and, when I returned, they only gave me 90 days. That requires me to leave more than two months earlier than I would have needed to if I had not gone to my daughters wedding. Since that 90 days is up this month, I need to find out about an extension to the allowed 180 days. So I will probably go this week or next and try it out.

I justhope I can find the damn place, and that my minimal Spanish does not interfere. lol
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:51 pm

So when the kids and I move to Peru soon for 1 year. After the 180 days in Peru we will have to make a border run somewhere and then come back in and get another 180 days or so ?

I don't plan on getting my cedulla at this point or within the nest year.

Do my kids need Peruvian ID to get registered in school or can they attend school on visitor visas ?

dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:54 pm

There is no "180 days or so" It's 180 days max. Actually I think it is 183 days to be accurate. 6 months. And then yes, it's time for a border run, for all of you. Everyone has to go and enter again. You and the kids. No clue about the school question though. There are private schools here for expats, I believe. I would strongly suggest that you have your research down before you go about bringing your kids here.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Actually, school might be an issue. Not sure how they deal with kids on a tourist visa. You'll have to show their birth cert at least. Check with the specific school that you want to enroll them in. Either way, it'll be lots and lots of paperwork.

there's no need for a border run, you could just pay the dollar a day fine.
dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes, actually that is true. If you are just planning to leave after a year, just pay the fine. A dollar a day for each of you, for 6 months. About $540 for 3 of you. And you are not permitted to leave until you pay it. I'm skittish about the idea of trying to enter Peru again after a 6 month overstay. Some say it will not be an issue, but I am not sure I would want to find out from a less than understanding border official. But who knows.
dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

singlefather wrote: Do my kids need Peruvian ID to get registered in school or can they attend school on visitor visas ?

School could be a problem. As I said, no clue about if they need anything from Peru to attend a private school. There are a number of tuition based Catholic schools here. My ladies daughter attends one and the cost is 390 nuevo sols per month. About $130. Are your children prepared to be educated in Spanish? Here is an English language link to a private school, with the ability to send them a message with questions, that might be able to answer some of your questions. http://peru.international.schools.ac/28 ... -Peru.html

Also keep in mind that the Peruvian school year is the reverse of the U.S. and Canada. When your kids are on summer vacation, Peruvians are in school. The school year begins, as I recall, in March. So a transition to school here might cause them to lose some time.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:04 pm

there's no need for a border run, you could just pay the dollar a day fine.

True. This is what I have been doing for several years now, without any problems at all. I just got back to Peru after overstaying for 185 days.
dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:09 pm

It's good to know that at least someone had no problem entering after such an overstay. It is encouraging for me. But I'm going to play it safe and try to get the other 90 days that I was entitled to when I entered, and when needed make a short run to Chile and come back before I overstay. Call me paranoid. lol
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 pm

dakota44 wrote:It's good to know that at least someone had no problem entering after such an overstay. It is encouraging for me. But I'm going to play it safe and try to get the other 90 days that I was entitled to when I entered, and when needed make a short run to Chile and come back before I overstay. Call me paranoid. lol

You've got nothing to worry about, I'm pretty sure they're happy to take your fine money.
dakota44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dakota44 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm feeling better already.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:15 pm

I tries to get an extension when the immigration officer at the airport gave me only 60 days and when I went to immigations I was told that the only way was to exit and reenter.
lestat711
Silver Member
Silver Member

No Extensions

Postby lestat711 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

My understanding of this issue is that there are no extensions given. What you get when you enter the country is it. If you want 180 days then you have to ask for it as you are entering the country. I believe that the attorney who writes for this site has an article on the subject published here.

Good Luck
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm

i went to immigration last month with my husband. he still has his dni, and the kids and i have nothing but our 6 month tourist visa. so basically, you HAVE to leave the country and re enter, or apply for a carnet. when doing that, you need the original andean immigration card that you were given on the plane... the kids can get dual citizenship, but i have to apply for the carnet. so we have until august 10th to leave, or else we have to pay the fine...a dollar a day for me and the 3 kids...4 bucks a day. not worth it. it looks like we will be taking a small trip this weekend....fyi, begging and pleading does NOT work there....they dont care. i just dread having to lug the 2 babies and my 7 year old to another country for no reason.....
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Jimmy111 wrote:I tries to get an extension when the immigration officer at the airport gave me only 60 days and when I went to immigations I was told that the only way was to exit and reenter.

Maybe it's because you have lots of entry and exits? Or maybe they've tightened up on the rules?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Maybe it's because you have lots of entry and exits? Or maybe they've tightened up on the rules?

I think it just depends on the immigration officer. If they are in a bad mood or they don´t like your face they give you less days...
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Well, they looked at my return ticket and because it was dated for 2 months later, they gave me only 60 days...
Usually this does not happen but sometimes you get the officer (usually a man) who just has to go exactly by the book....
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Singlefather,

you shouldn't have a problem registering your kids on a tourist visa. We did it with both our kids when we came here. Nobody even asked for the passport and honestly why should they. It's none of their business. We just needed the birth cert and the last school report (they preferred to have it legalized and translated, but as we hadn't had done it, they were happy with them without stamps), pay the enrollment fee and listo. The next day the kids started.

Don't worry to much and look forward being together with your wife and kids as a family. Personally I think it was a wise decision to leave Canada for a while and come here to Peru. That will give you and your kids a little peace, distance from all the things happened in your lives and hopefully as well security.

Good luck!
Eva
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 pm

I just pay the fine ($1 PER DAY), which would be about 180.00 FOR THE REMAINing 6 MONTHS. that is per person. I would not recommend it for a family traveling. The ticket to the border will cost you about that. So stay for another 6 months and pay the fine unless you can get to the border before that.
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 pm

ok, heres a spinoff question.....

so what happens if we do not leave out tomorrow...and i just pay the 1 day fine X 4 for the remaining time we are here...say like 2 more years...BUT in between that, i get my carnet, and my kids become dual citizens-.- will we still have to pay up until we get the proper peruvian documents? will we have a huge problem GETTING the carnet and dual citizenship since our time here has expired?
edgecumbe

Postby edgecumbe » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Another spin off question - I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 180 days is only ONE 180 day period per year. It seems from the above that this isn't true, but wanted to double check, as I'll be leaving briefly in September, and it's really going to mess up my plans if they don't let me back in!
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Mommyof2Angels wrote:ok, heres a spinoff question.....

so what happens if we do not leave out tomorrow...and i just pay the 1 day fine X 4 for the remaining time we are here...say like 2 more years...BUT in between that, i get my carnet, and my kids become dual citizens-.- will we still have to pay up until we get the proper peruvian documents? will we have a huge problem GETTING the carnet and dual citizenship since our time here has expired?

techincally, your kids are already Dual cits, they just have to get registered. You still have to pay UNTIL you get residency, I believe.

edgecumbe wrote:Another spin off question - I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 180 days is only ONE 180 day period per year. It seems from the above that this isn't true, but wanted to double check, as I'll be leaving briefly in September, and it's really going to mess up my plans if they don't let me back in!

In theory, yes, in practice, no. People border hop for years.

Jimmy111 wrote:Well, they looked at my return ticket and because it was dated for 2 months later, they gave me only 60 days...
Usually this does not happen but sometimes you get the officer (usually a man) who just has to go exactly by the book....

I thought women were more like to go by the book, at least thath's how it is with the police
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:44 pm

edgecumbe wrote:Another spin off question - I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 180 days is only ONE 180 day period per year. It seems from the above that this isn't true, but wanted to double check, as I'll be leaving briefly in September, and it's really going to mess up my plans if they don't let me back in!

There is no 180 per year limit. Last year I was in Peru for 275 days. I just got back two weeks ago with no problems at all. I think in other countries like Colombia and Ecuador there is a limit like this, but not in Peru.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Really? there's no limit on how many 183 days you get? Are you sure? I mean, that's nuts. Places like Argentina have the law where you have to spend 6 months out, it's not enforced, but ti's still the law.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:07 pm

naturegirl wrote:Really? there's no limit on how many 183 days you get? Are you sure? I mean, that's nuts. Places like Argentina have the law where you have to spend 6 months out, it's not enforced, but ti's still the law.

Nobody has ever mentioned a limit to me.In fact most immigration officers will actually tell you how you can stay longer after your first 180 days have expired. The last time I left, in april, the lady told me I could border hop to avoid paying the $1 per day (I had overstayed for 185 days). She even asked me when I was coming back! I think the Peruvian government just wants foreigners to stay. I love it
:D
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 pm

For sure there is no limit on how many times you can renew a 183 day tourist visa.

Peru wants people here indefinitely - but they still need to keep track of this, thus a time limit before you must take some action, like leaving and returning, so they can keep track of numbers.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register