Using Voip and Global phones from USA in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
monsulim
Silver Member
Silver Member

Using Voip and Global phones from USA in Peru

Postby monsulim » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:31 am

Hi all -- Does anyone know anything about using mobile phones from the US and adding/using the international roaming feature while in Peru? I've been looking at different mobile phone carriers in the US to determine if it's worth the expense (I'll move to Pucallpa in August, but will return to the US periodically). I have a Verizon Wireless phone at the moment, and, according to the website and customer service rep, their phones in Peru don't use GSM but CDMA so it's actually cheaper (69 cents/minute for both incoming and outgoing calls). I wanted to keep my phone so that people in the US could call me easily. Although their calls to me would be free (if they're in my network), I would be incurring the 69 cents charge. Any thoughts? Not worth it? Totally worth it? Thanks in advance.

alaskan_sol

Postby alaskan_sol » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:41 pm

I personally bought a cell phone here. Went the prepaid route. Cant say I really looked into what is actully cheaper but my phone was only 150 soles up front, 50 soles a month and I use prepaid cards to recharge. No charge on incoming INTERNATIONAL calls and outgoing is one sole a minute. (about 30 cents U.S. ) seems like a good deal to me. Still have my U.S. cell phone which is unusable here. I believe an answer your question is how long are you going to be in Peru at one time. Short visits, use your current U.S. phone only. Long visits, with regular intervals of coming and going I would suggest the two phone method like myself.
hoot99
Gold Member
Gold Member

phone svc to/from u.s.

Postby hoot99 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:23 am

if you have internet - check out skype - we keep internet on all day - & have a local u.s. tel. # - people can call us, we can call them as if in the states

also just using soles on a public telephone here in lima, is very very cheap.

the calling cards (147) are very very cheap .25 soles (7 cents) a minute.

roaming on an american phone will probably be the most expensive way to go...
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:44 pm

What ^^^ said. I work from home via internet and use skype all day long. I never have a problem and my calls sound like a normal call to the people I talk to in the states. You will have a U.S. number and calls to Europe/Canada and the US are like $ 0.0182/minute or something else insanely cheap. I have a bluetooth headset hooked up via my laptop so I can roam around my apartment. There are also regular phones you can purchase that can be used with skype. The phones are fairly new so I don't know much abou them. Also, if you know someone else who uses skype it is free to talk to them. I talk to my Dad in Costa Rica for free everyday. Vonage is also an option but they are a lot more expensive. I dropped them in favor of Skype just before I loved to Lima.

Regarding cell phone, I bought a pretty nice motorola phone at the department store kiosk for Telefonica. It cost $180 US and I just use prepaid cards as it seems just about everybody here does.
gypsy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gypsy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:43 pm

I just use my hotmail account and chat via microphone, for free, computer to computer from Florida to Lima. Local calls in Peru are not free, so if you use your phone there, it would probably cost you more than waiting until you have offers. Phone companies there have offers often, and you can talk as long as you want for very little. Calls from here are cheaper using prepaid cards. I do not know where you will hook up to internet, but if it is private, and not in an internet 'cabina,' then you should be able to do what I do. Don't really know about how good internet connection may be from Pucallpa.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Okay, here is news that will make all this surfing worthwhile...

I have been using a new service called www.voipdiscount.com for the past month. It is voice over IP and it is incredibly cool. Probably the best feature is that you can make LOCAL CALLS in Peru at a reduced cost. In fact it was free for a while, but now they are charging a small connection fee. Still cheaper than telefonica though... I don´t know how they get away with it, and imagine that it may be shut down soon... Make hay while the sun shines!

Other than that, I use Vonage, which gives me a line in the states and the ability to receive low cost 1800 calls from the US and Canada.

Alan
gypsy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gypsy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:51 am

INTERESTING, Alan! Because I have looked at this before, and now, clicking the link you gave us, and Peru is not listed among the countries.. hmmm ..... First thing I will do when I get internet connection will be to log in to EXPATPERU! weeeeeeeeeeee
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:24 am

Gypsy,

Okay, the trick with Vonage is you need to set up the account in the states, or one of the other accepted countries, and pay for it from there, using a US based credit card for example. I had a relative bring me down the modem. Works like a charm!

The other service is Voip discount, which doesn´t require a modem (its all web based), BUT, you don´t get a US based number that people can call you on.

I find it really amazing how quickly these paradigms are shifting, and the effect this will have on remote-work.

Chau,
Alan
Jonathan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jonathan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:40 am

Try www.zaptel.com (for US calls to Peru). It says 500 minutes for 20 dollars, but when I buy the card it gives my 1000 minutes for 20 dollars. I have bought a lot of these cards in the past year also. The is the cheapest I have found.

JWL
Jonathan
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

VoIP

Postby tupacperu » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:58 pm

I am married to a peruvian (wife) and I subscribe to Vonage. I have a copy of the softPhone software on my laptop and the same copy on her laptop in Peru. We have telefonica for local calls in Lima and a high-speed internet in out place in Peru. Vonage gives me a local telephone number. I have ADSL internet in out place or any high speed connection will do. When I call from the USA from a Land-Line or Cellphone in the USA, The call is unlimited minutes and she can call me anywhere in the USA from her laptop. The trick is that we cannot call from at the sametime from the laptop. Vonage now has a portable USB stick with headphone, that will also work.

www.vonage.com
odelag
Gold Member
Gold Member

Local VoIP Company -- Voicered.com

Postby odelag » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 pm

For those of you who want a local option for VoIP services, I started my own company here last year to offer Vonage-like plans (less expensive, though) to the Peruvian market. For $19.99 month (including IGV -- local sales tax) you get a USA phone number in an area code of your choosing, 500 outbound minutes to the USA and free in-bound minutes (Vonage makes you pay both in-bound and out-bound minutes). By the way, Vonage isn't authorized to operate in Peru and we are, for those of you that take things like that into account. We also have an unlimited plan that includes the USA and 49 other countries (including Canada, most of Europe and Asia) for $54.99 per month

You don't need a USA credit card to buy our services; you can pay the monthly charges at BCP like most of your other utilities.

Visit my website for more information: www.voicered.com -- or IM me and I will get back to you.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cingular

Postby tupacperu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 am

Cingular has a great program.

http://www.cingular.com/media/cingular_world

My wife has a phone from the USA. We can use it in both, USA and Peru.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Regarding Vonage

Postby tupacperu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:43 am

Yes, Vonage is not authorized for public use in Peru. But VOip is an internet protocal, not considered a telephone. The vonage routers are blocked (home), but the laptops are not. .Voip and it is not consider regional it is a world wide technology.

$54.00 per month??? I pay $19.99 on a laptop or computer (virtual phone)or yo can just us IM (hotmail, YAhoo etc...) free.

Vonage now sells a virtual phone on a memory stick USB. does not cost $59.00 per month. You can use it anywhere, cabinas, laptops etc....

http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=VPHONE

http://www.vonage.com/vphoneparty/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.voicered.com

Postby tupacperu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:56 am

The company sounds interesting but the unlimited plan do not include Peru. So a local call in Peru cost??? Is there an unlimited plan?? Funny you have an office in Peru with a US telephone number. Are you sure you are authorized? Does Telefonica know you operate in Peru? If authorized? why are local Peru call charged?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.voicered.com

Postby tupacperu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:15 am

In my apartment telefonica has ADSL which is a dial-up technology (Lima). it uses an ADSL Router which can only allow for one connection (USB). I use to have a cabina in Pueblo Libre. I had a router with RJ-45 CAT 6 connector (network connectors) I had a 16 port router. I could easily get around the issue of multiple connections. But, with your VOIP solution how do you get around multiple connections and dial-up (ADSL). This is what is install in most of the homes/apartments in Peru. A commercial network connection may cost close to $100.00 per month to get a multiple connection for your VOIP box and a computer, on top of your $19.99 per month. This is why I use the Vonage memory stick USB, with headphones. I can walk into any cabina and make a call to the USA unlimited and still use my ADSL line connection to connect my USB to call on my computer at home. This I carry on a keychain and it has space also to store personal files and photos. Does your voicered get around this hidden cost?

If you can get around this I would be interested in your telephone. But the cost of putting a commercial or multi- line connecttion in most apartment (telefonica), cost additional . Only speaking from experience :)
odelag
Gold Member
Gold Member

Answers to your questions

Postby odelag » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:16 pm

Tarollins,

You’ve asked a lot of questions; let me see if I can answer them all in one go –

• You are correct that VoIP is an internet protocol – in fact, the initials stand for voice over Internet protocol. If all you want to do is connect from one computer to another, then you are also correct that all you need to do is use the voice call features of MSN Messenger, Yahoo, etc. Usually works pretty well, and it’s free. But what if you want to talk to someone who doesn’t have a computer, or doesn’t use Messenger, or who just wants to talk over their cell phone? You need a bridge from the VoIP world to public switched telephone network (PSTN). That is what companies like Voicered and Vonage provide. Because we have to pay the PSTN carriers to terminate the calls that you want to make to the customers, we need to charge for our services.

• Our basic plan is $19.99, as I said. For that much money, you get a USA phone number in an area code of your choosing, 500 outbound minutes to the USA. In-bound minutes (calls TO your Voicered number) are free. Calls between one Voicered number and any other number are also free. By comparison, Vonage’s cheapest plan is $14.99 for 500 minutes BUT you need a USA credit card to purchase the service and they will not authorize your service anywhere outside of the USA, Canada and the UK. We have to charge more because our prices also include the 19% Peruvian sales tax (IGV).

• Our $54.99 plan is an unlimited residential calling plan that includes unlimited calling to any number (fixed or cellular) in the USA or Canada, plus fixed lines in 48 other countries – and we’re not talking about countries you never heard of, we’re talking about countries like Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Germany, Austria, Spain, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, the UK, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, Indonesia and a few more. Vonage’s “unlimited” plan costs $49.99 per month and it is only good for calls to the USA, Canada, and five other countries – and again, if you don’t have a US shipping address (a PO box won’t do) and a US credit card, you can’t buy Vonage services.

• You can use your Voicered service to call Peru numbers. Our rates (which are posted on our website) are better than Telefonica’s: fixed line in Lima $0.0365 per minute; fixed line outside of Lima (provincias) $0.0560 per minute; Peru cellular $0.2662 per minute. But Voicered is not a substitute for your Peru local phone, because we don’t sell our service with Peru telephone numbers. You still need your Peru phone for your Peru friends and family to call you – they can also call you on your Voicered line, of course, but since it is a USA number, it would be a long-distance call for them, which obviously doesn’t make much economic sense. We don’t have any unlimited calling plan that includes Peru, for the simple reason that Voicered is not intended to replace your Peru local phone.

• Our service requires a broad-band connection to the Internet, like ever other VoIP service in the market. A dial-up connection won’t do. The good news for you is that an ADSL connection is not a dial-up connection; it’s broad-band. If your ADSL gateway only allows one connection, and it’s USB, then you have an old gateway and you need to get a new one. Telefonica will replace it if you insist (and I mean really insist) – our clients have done that on several occasions. Or we can sell you a new gateway. Rest assured, we are very familiar with the Internet equipment that is installed in most of the homes/apartments in Peru, and we know how to configure our equipment and services to work in virtually any situation.

• You certainly don’t need a $100 per month commercial Internet account to use Voicered. Speedy 400, an ADSL broadband plan available from Telefonica, works perfectly well with our service and costs $40 per month. They include a modern Ethernet ADSL gateway with an incorporated four-port router (into which you plug your Voicered adapter) at no additional cost. This is what most of our residential customers use.

• Finally, I want to stress the following: Voicered is a Peruvian company owned by Peruvians (including me, a US-educated semi-gringo of Peruvian parentage). The USA phone number in our office in Lima is a Voicered number! (That’s the whole point!) We established our company specifically for the Peruvian market. You can pay your monthly bill at any BCP. Our techs visit your home or office to set up the service and when you need customer service, we actually respond. If you are happy with your Vonage service and your USB key, and are fortunate enough to have a USA address and credit card to buy Vonage, then you don’t need us. We are shooting to sign up the other 99% of potential VoIP customers in Peru.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to send me an e-mail message at odelaguardia at Voicered.com if you have any more question.

Regards,

Oscar

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register