Pregnancy coverage, insurance?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
naturegirl

Pregnancy coverage, insurance?

Postby naturegirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:48 pm

My husband and I were hoping to go to Asia, but I've run into a slight glitch with the embassy, mainly the consel is going on vacation for three months and won't even be able to begin to process my papers until late November.

Anyways, does anyone know how long you have to wait to get fully covered by insurances? We don't have any. I know that pacifico is 18 months! In Asia it's immediate, so we're not sure if we should wait until we get there or not. What about others, like Good Hope? Mason de Sainte?

mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Based on own experience, I wouldn´t go for any insurance at all. Just pay doctors in cash, you´ll end up paying less.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Really? for private clinics?
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:12 am

sharon, hi! how exciting to heat that you are considering a pregnancy! well, la clinica san borja offers it. its relatively cheap, you as an american can get covered, and plus you know that CSB offers great care. another clinic, montesur has an insurance, if i remember correctly. call CSB tomorrow and inquire. if you remember, i did a ton of homework on this and after weighing my options, we just waited until brayden turned 2 months to move here. i was a bit skeptical about recieving care here, however now that i live here permantly, i am confident in the care. we are planning in ttc #4 in november. ill most likely go to CSB if and when that happens. good luck, and how IS everything???
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:19 am

there are also great places that you can go to like the previous poster said that you dont even need insurance. for example, there is a BEAUTIFUL drs office the next psj. from where i live. the owner and her husband ar both surgeons and she is an ob gyn for the clinica universitaria..thats a great clinic, actually. she is great, and her care is 10 soles in her own practice for pregnnancy..for the control, as they call it her in peru. plus everything else she does is through local places here, and it is very cost effective..all of the places are stat of the art..well, for peruvian standards, and ar clean good places. having a baby here is a heck of a lot less than having one in la molina. so sometimes paying out of pocket is ok.,..UNTIL...you run into this. you paid your like 250 USD for the regualr vaginal delivery, and there is a complication. you have to have your money right there on the spot or they will NOT help you. or if you need something as a simple as a cervical injection to stop blood loss, they wont do it until you show they CANCELADO slip. be careful of those situations. insurance is always your best backup regarding pregnancy in peru. :D

***Edit*** i will also tll you this..clinica ricardo palmas is one of the clicnics i am speaking of regarding the payment issue. my daughter was running a temp of close to 104, and she was dillusional, extremely sick and needed to be seen ASAP. we took her in, and luis paid for the visit, 28 soles since it was night, while she was immediatly taken back to the ER room...the dr wanted to get a temp on her, and she thought it was a shot coming at her out of no where...(do you remember when she had the mumps when we first came here???) and she flung her arms up in sheer dillusion and hysteria and broke the thermometor and they wouldnt even take her temp until i found my husband, who had made a bathroom stop after he paid the consult fee, and then he had to go back to the cashier and pay 2 freaking soles to buy another thermometer and we had to rush back to her (crying even more, moaning, and hysterical and STILL burning up..and ALONE since i had to find luis) witht he CANCELADO slip just for htem to take her temp..then they sent luis BACK out to pay for the ampolla and whatever else they called for and he had to again, sow th reciept before they administered anything..so yeah, with a pregnancy, having delivered 3 healthy children(2 of which were in teh last 2 years) i would suggest the insurance at all cost.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:16 am

mahou123 wrote:Based on own experience, I wouldn´t go for any insurance at all. Just pay doctors in cash, you´ll end up paying less.

Of course. Especially for a routine, predictable thing like pregnancy.

But Americans are so delusional and ignorant on the subject of medical "insurance" that they will pay ten times what medical services really cost for the illusion that they are getting it for free.

They have been so miseducated on the subject that they don't know the difference between a year of prepaid routine medical services and real insurance for catastrophic illness. And it is utterly hopeless to try to get them to understand the reality.

However, Mommyof2Angels has a valid point about the possible complications due to the delightful Peruvian practice of insisting on prepayment before rendering service. One way to deal with this is to subscribe to prepaid service. But this has NOTHING to do with insurance.

A sensible way to handle possible needs in the case of pregnancy would be to make a deal with a doctor (or clinic) of your choice to provide whatever services are necessary for the birth for a flat, up-front fee. You ought to be able to get a good price quoted for this in Peru. [In the US such a sensible arrangement would be illegal.]

Craig
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 am

About Craigs answer,
I am sure I have seen those ads here. Don't remember the prices, but it wasn't too expensive. It was a deal like
$500 for the whole pregnancy for a normal delivery including all checkups, ultrasounds, surely a 4D ulrasound,
or a $1500 for a Caesarean section delivery including all the above.
Don't know the prices, but these all-in deals are offered here..

Actually we decided ( after two years of expensive private insurance ) to simply be not insured. I opened a new bank account on which I deposit S/. 300 a month, specially for healthcare, and a discount card of S/. 15 of Tezza clinic, which gives me 50% discount on consults, and 20% on medicines.
The children have through their school an accident insurance which costed like S/. 100 a year. ( This insurance covers emergency service in clinics as well )
If something serious happens which we couldn't pay for, then we are always in the EsSalud, and if something really terrible happens, we always can go back to Holland and be automatically covered in the Dutch state insurance which don't have preexistent exclusions..
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 am

I have no question about the quality of the care, I just wonder how long it will take for insurance to kick in
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:58 am

naturegirl wrote:I have no question about the quality of the care, I just wonder how long it will take for insurance to kick in

A quick check through the insurance sites and hospital.

In Rimac the waiting period is 18 months
In Clinica Maison de Sante with a Dorado card the waiting period is 300 days, after 190 days it covers 50%. Medicines are only covered 30%
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:48 am

fanning, thanks so much. Looks like we'll be waiting until we get to ASia. Takes about a week or two to get residency and then I'd be covered until national insurance.
Last edited by naturegirl on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:51 am

naturegirl wrote:Really? for private clinics?

Yes. My wife just had a baby in Chiclayo, at private clinic, natural. We paid upfront, total costs were about 1500-2000 soles, cesaria would be 1000 on top of that. We've been to San Borja clinic in Lima too, it's very good, but more expensive. I think the care is pretty much good everywhere. Also, we were given some things in the process, for which I paid later. I'm surprised some clinics don't trust their client and demand payment upfront, but they have the right to do it. They are running a private business in a free capitalist economy. I understand they had experience of someone refusing to pay for their services after. In this case, I'd say swipe your credit card on them, still would be less than including insurer's commission.

I totally agree with Craig on the insurance, but this is a big politically divisive issue, everyone has own opinion on that. In own experience, we had our first one in Australia, for free and got some benefits from the government for having a child. Medicine is 'free' over there, like in Europe, but there are really no free lunches, someone has to pay. Considering the taxation and some other indirect costs, I believe it costs you much more in the end. That's why doctors, as well as lawyers, are the highest paid professionals over there. In Peru, doctors don't drive BMWs, but, again in own experience, quality of care was better.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:24 am

My daughters birth cost about $1200 including 3 days in the hospital, a C-section and the after delivery care.
If you want to I can put you in touch with my wifes aunt. She is a OB/GYN and she did all the pre delivery ultrasounds for us, delivery and C-section.. She has privigles at many hospitals. We used Clinica Santa Isabelle and they were very good.
After your baby is born the real problems begin :D I suggest that you go to the US embassy and get the forms right now for the Consular birth certificate so you can begin preparing the documantation for them. It is more complicated if you are a natualized American citizen. They want to know everything about you and your husband from the time that you were born.

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am

I was born in the US, so no problems there. And the last time I aws back I got all my transcripts, going back to grade school. So I can prove that I was in the US for the needed amount of time.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prices

Postby craig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:30 am

Clínica Stella Maris

El Programa de Maternidad de la Clínica Stella Maris está a cargo de un equipo de profesionales de alto nivel en todas las especialidades que requiera para su cuidado y el del bebé: Ginecología, Obstetricia, Neonatología, Pediatría, Enfermería y Nutrición.

PAQUETE PARTO NORMAL
(Sin Complicaciones)
Costo Total S/. 2,331.00

PAQUETE PARTO CESÁREA
(Sin Complicaciones)
Costo Total S/. 3,885.00

Craig
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pregnancy coverage, insurance?

Postby fanning » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:37 am

I have a friend who got children and luckily were insured. There were complications ( the child was born to early ) and when the whole procedure was finished he was presented the bill of S/. 170.000. This included like 3 months in a incubator. Because he changed of job recently, and was reinsured with the same insurance company, the insurance company said they wouldn't pay as a new 'trialperiod' had started. Luckily for him the insurance company finally did pay, but some expensive medicines were not insured. He ended up paying like S/50.000 himself.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:08 pm

fanning wrote:I have a friend who got children and luckily were insured. There were complications ( the child was born to early ) and when the whole procedure was finished he was presented the bill of S/. 170.000. This included like 3 months in a incubator. Because he changed of job recently, and was reinsured with the same insurance company, the insurance company said they wouldn't pay as a new 'trialperiod' had started. Luckily for him the insurance company finally did pay, but some expensive medicines were not insured. He ended up paying like S/50.000 himself.

Was he covered by Mapfre by any chance? I heard a hellish, and very similar story recenctly, from a friend who had "coverage" with them. It was like a bad joke.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:43 pm

I think it was Rimac. An EPS of Rimac. So first he had EPS with his old company, and when he changed jobs he got EPS with the same insurance company in the next job
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:24 pm

I've heard good things about GOod Hope. And you don't have to have it for a certain amount of time before you get pregnant. Thanks again for all the info, but seeing as I'm leaving in a couple months, if we end up having a baby it won't be born here

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register