Auto Rental in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Auto Rental in Lima

Postby Claudia1973 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am

My husband and I want to rent a car to get out of LIma for this weekend, but, when we called around, prices are about twice as high as the States.

We are looking for a subcompact car for about $25-$30 per day, unlimited miles. Any suggestions, if possible, would be appreciated.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I have checked into this a few times and have never found anything less than $50 a day.
sabad
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lima Car Rental...

Postby sabad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Claudia,

We have some friends that are in the car rental business [www.limacarrental.com.pe]. I called to inquire for their prices for rental rates which are as Americorps said, roughly $48 + I.G.V. The owner, Martin Bachmann, speaks English & is a great guy who will go over & above for his clients, you should give him a call, mention the referral from Pepe Lucho! Best of luck!

Office: 239-6515 / 252-2365
email: [email protected][/url]
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Just make sure they do not ask you to use your credit card with an "open deposit"

Many shady companies here will want you to "cover the full cost of any damage or repairs". Do not accept this.

There should be no more than a fully refundable $300 deposit.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 pm

The best thing is to rent from either someone you know or from the major rental firms.
If you rent from a friend you need to have a notorized letter from them granting you permission.
The small companies are fine in Lima but if you have a breakdown or if the police pull you over and there is something wrong with the paperwork, they will just sieze the car and you will be on foot....
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 am

Get the insurance on the rental, especially here in Peru.

I learned that one the hard way, back in the day many moons ago. Not sure, if it now mandatory in Peru.
Regards,

George

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register