DHL Peru or Fedex Peru

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

DHL Peru or Fedex Peru

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:09 am

In the event that I need it, which of these two companies, DHL Peru or Fedex Peru, is least likely to drive me to a tragic suicide?
How much do they charge for sending documents to the USA?

Calmira woman
Silver Member
Silver Member

DHL/Fed EX

Postby Calmira woman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 am

Hi, I am in Trujillo and just yesterday called DHL to get a rate to the USA, Washington D.C., specifically, it was about $60 American for a 3 day delivery via Lima. I would think that if you're in Lima already it might cost less. I personally trust DHL only from my experience within the USA, although Fed Ex was also reliable. Good Luck, no suicides, please! :mrgreen:
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 am

I have used all 3, DHL, FedEx and TNT quite a bit. FedEx made me cry, not once, but twice.

DHL only almost made me cry.

TNT is about the same as DHL, but cheaper.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:32 am

Lesser of three evils: DHL wins.

But keep your fingers crossed.

George
Regards,

George
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Olva Couriers is good, cheaper than Fedex, and fast
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:19 pm

On almost every occasion I have had DHL go thru my documents that I have sent and sometimes even documents are missing when they arrive in the states. The last time I sent some very important documents the envelope arrived empty. I filed a claim and it was basicly ignored. A few weeks later I got a phone call from someone saying they knew where my documents were and I could get them back for $100
Ill never use them again for anything.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Jimmy111 wrote:On almost every occasion I have had DHL go thru my documents that I have sent and sometimes even documents are missing when they arrive in the states. The last time I sent some very important documents the envelope arrived empty. I filed a claim and it was basicly ignored. A few weeks later I got a phone call from someone saying they knew where my documents were and I could get them back for $100
Ill never use them again for anything.

Wow! Sorry that happened to you, I guess this could serve as a warning for others. But what about Serpost? You can pay for their fast service, is it good?
anuta

Postby anuta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:53 pm

naturegirl wrote:
Wow! Sorry that happened to you, I guess this could serve as a warning for others. But what about Serpost? You can pay for their fast service, is it good?

My bf sent me docs to Canada twice and they arrived within2 weeks. I believe that the second time was their accelerated service.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Generally, I'd go with whomever Americorps suggests, if he's not right, or at least close, when it comes to customer service and this type of thing, no-one is.

Jimmy, did you consider asking to meet and transfer the documents in a place you know well, and bringing a baseball bat? That's got to be a winner in the "most screwed up thing to happen in Peru" awards.

Anyway, luckily, it looks like I will be avoiding all of these companies for at least a while.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:08 pm

What really irritated me was the total lack of any type of investigation. They just blamed it on Peru Customs and closed the cases. Peru customs puts a seal on the packages after they look (if they do look) but on all ocasions that seal had been cut and another put on top of it. sometimes even 2 or 3 more seals.
Other people told me the same thing with their business documents. I couldent say if it is different if from a private person.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I've used DHL a number of times from Bolivia (1x --> US), Argentina (1x --> US) and Peru (1x --> US, 2x US -->). I never had any problems. I guess I was just lucky.

I once used UPS from Bolivia successfully too.

I've also used ordinary Serpost a couple of times to Europe and much to my surprise it worked (in about 2 weeks).

All of the above were just personal documents.

Craig
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:53 pm

naturegirl wrote:Olva Couriers is good, cheaper than Fedex, and fast

Where is Olva Couriers?
Regards,

George
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 pm

I have heard from clients that Serpost is actually good and cheaper to boot.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:36 am

american_in_lima wrote:
naturegirl wrote:Olva Couriers is good, cheaper than Fedex, and fast

Where is Olva Couriers?

Peruvian DHL, they're near Parque Kennedy
Just a thought . . .

Postby Just a thought . . . » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:41 am

I've received docs and packages through both Serpost and DHL many times and never had any problems. I've heard stories of FedEx that keep me away. I've never sent anything, though, opting instead to send anything that important with an individual- of course, if it's time sensitive this doesn't serve well.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:14 pm

I use DHL, The only FEDEX office I know of is Near Kennedy Park, there are DHL offices all ove the place. Never had a problem with either, but I prefer DHL. Fedex held up my wife's DNA (to the USA) test for some unknown reason and could not explain the delay, then refused to refund the money because of the delay. took a week to get a 3 day letter.

I have paid $60.00 at DHL and Fedex (depends where the docs are going and the weight. I have paid the same at Fedex.

Does anyone know of anymore FEDEX offices in Peru.

The office in Miraflores is a Franchise from reading some import documentation.

I will stick to DHL Fedex worries me outside the USA (though I get a discount becasue my brother-in-law works.
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DHL Peru or Fedex Peru

Postby lyndelld » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:13 pm

What is best for receiving FROM the U.S. and actually getting here...not documents, but packages such as a laptop? UPS, DHL, Someone else?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:19 pm

I sent a couple times digital cameras , Mp3s , an Iphone and toys from L.A. and suburbs and from O.C by U.S postal service and the stuff arrived on time .
Pedro Nicolas

Postby Pedro Nicolas » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:15 pm

I have sent from New jersey shoe box size package and recently empty Heineken Beer case carton packed with misc. items with no problem . Used US post office and I itemized every item on the customs form . Everything arrived . It took about 3 weeks and I had $250.00 free insurance . The stuff was probably worth close to $500.00 ( sun glasses , wallets , custom jewelry , X Box games , kid puzzles , books , medical equipment )
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 pm

What were you charged from CUSTOMS; that's where your items (even with itemized receipts) - can have problems. I sent my fiancée a camera I bought at a discount chain; they tripled the price & tax accordingly.

Doesn't Peru realize that if they discontinued this "nonsense"; in the long run they would get more shipments & have more revenue to fix all the "pot holes" or where ever the taxes go.

Philip :roll:
PS - now trying to figure out how to send packages of 500g of coffee - at the most "democratic" rates
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:08 am

stuart wrote:In the event that I need it, which of these two companies, DHL Peru or Fedex Peru, is least likely to drive me to a tragic suicide?
How much do they charge for sending documents to the USA?

I went fedex in miraflores but they only do 2 day not overnight and they have weird hours as I recall might be they closed early and I am a night howler. Anyway it was like 50 bucks for a bunch of documents for us immigration not terribly bad and they got there as stated. Its on the north side of Parque Kennedy close to calle de las pizzas.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register