things to consider when moving from the states

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Esteban
Gold Member
Gold Member

things to consider when moving from the states

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Being new to the Lima Peru and wanting to share my experiences so far, I wanted to give a little advice to people wanting to move here from the states.

* Money issue - You may be thinking about bringing money and/or transfering money. When you get money, first check to see how much cash you are allowing to bring with you...there are limits. Then go to your nearest bank and get fresh bills...NO TEARS or RIPS. If you have otherwise, you will have a hard time getting anyone to take it. While your at the bank, let them know you will want to transfer money. I did not know this but they require a signed document on file for you to do this. It has to be the original document so faxing is not an option...that is why its better to get it done while you are there. Please note that you will be charged to use your US credit card or debit card. Charges can range from 4-7 dollars to just take out money (Peru banks charge plus US bank charge). Using your credit card could be a charge of 3% of the total charge. Now ever bank is different, so consult your bank for specifics.

* Technology issue - Buy yourself a new laptop before coming down. The prices are so much cheaper in the states and a laptop is not considered bagage on the plane (only one laptop per person thought). Also invest in a magic jack http://www.magicjack.com/7/index.asp and set it up on your new laptop while you are in the states. It gives you a local number for your area and gives you the ability to call family and friends from peru at next to nothing. Additionally, its nice to have that local number when you are calling businesses in the states to finalize things such as paying final bills or consulting banks on issues you may have. The quality of the magic jack is not the best but it sure does serve the purpose.

* Merchandise/goods - pay for an extra luggage at the airport (ours was a $100) and fill it with stuff that you need or really want. We came here with the idea that we would just buy a replacement, but were surprised on how much everything cost. If you need to buy, its just like the states...you just need to shop around for the best price.

* Language/culture - study up every minute you have. The more you know and the better you speak the language...the faster you will become comfortable in your new environment. If you come here with limited spanish, please note that you will surfer a period of alienation while you learn...which can be rough. Not to mention that you will be ripped off or taken advantaged off when purchasing goods or services.

* Finally...bring some lipbalm for all the kissing/greetings you have to do in your new culture.

Hope this helps someone out there,

Esteban

Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm

for those bringing children, i would also like to add, that you must watch EVERYTHING that goes into your small childs mouth. even the older child can be a target from contamination at school.
examples that we have had in our family in 7 months with our baby, almost 2 year old, and 7 year old...

parasites...we all had to be treated. ill be happy to give the names if anyones interested.

mumps
mono
pnemonia
pink eye about 4 times
stomach sickness and vomiting
fevers of unknown origin
wheezing from the terrible humidity--our 10 months old has suffered terribly since our arrival and him being only 2 months old..
anemia--why???? my kids aeat great! i was told it was fromt eh invasion of parasites. downright awful. but is is common here in peru from the water, etc. i urge EVERYONE to have their children tested evey 3 months. its whats recommended in peru. (3 stool samples and a GRAHAM test) its worth it. we had one randomly and found out that our kids had an assortment of things. it made me sick. we almost picked up and went back to the usa. especially when the parasite was entamoeba histolytica..which is mostly found in cusco, arequipa, puno, etc...this parasite, if left untreated will kill...please be cautious!

so many more things, i just dont have the time to write! your children will be exposed to many things that they were not and probably would never be exposed to when living in the usa or canada. be prepared. you can be the most clean person in the world and still have these microbios attack.
anuta

Postby anuta » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm

you scared me Kim, i'm going to check my son.

I would also suggest bringing baby and children's staff, such as BPA-free bottles/cups/plates.

Quality toys are also expensive. Also if you can, bring a good car seat. I also heard tha booster car seats don't exist in Peru (I read that on this forum 1-2 years ago), most Peruvians don't bother attaching their kids in the car.
LauraMH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LauraMH » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:44 pm

so many more things, i just dont have the time to write! your children will be exposed to many things that they were not and probably would never be exposed to when living in the usa or canada. be prepared. you can be the most clean person in the world and still have these microbios attack.[/quote]

wow yea. yours is the first posting I have come across like this. Is this for you and your kids or mainly your kids. how horrible? do you feel it is getting better or worse?

school...definite germ factories.

thanks for sharing. update as you can if you want.
Live, Love, Laugh
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:10 pm

hey laura-

this was mostly for our children, although i did get sick a few times...if at all possible, have your children brush their teeth with boiled water or bottled water. we brushed up until this discovery with regular tap water, bt now that i have discovered how frequent these parasites are in teh water, i have decidd not to take any chances. yeah, its annoying to have to deal with the bottled water(if boiling, use 2 drops of bleach and boil for 10 minutes) when one is so used to turning on the faucet and brushing, but its worth it....really.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I was sick a LOT - spend nearly 2 weeks in bed with one bout of intestinal problems - for the first 3 years I was here. Now, nothing bothers me. All the same, I keep a supply of Imodium AD on hand, just in case.

And that's the kind of stuff I recommend for people coming to live or stay in Lima for an extended period. Every time I go to the US, i bring back a few bottles of the pain reliever of my choice, sudafed, benadryl, and Imodium. I don't like taking multi-symptom medicines if I've just got a stuffy nose, and I've never been able to find sudafed available here. (Of course, thanks to the meth labs, it's getting harder to get in the US, too) For the rest of the medicines I keep on hand, it's difficult to find large bottles, and I don't like buying those little blister packs of a few at a time... not to mention it's much more expensive. I can get a bottle of 100 aspirin for a couple dollars at Walmart - much cheaper than a sol for 2 here.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:16 pm

I just want to add that I believe you´ll be much better off healthwise if you adopt the local diet. If you consume plenty of aji (rocoto, amarillo, panca, charapita), plenty of lemon juice. Eat charcoal grilled food (a la brasa). Drink strong alcohol (pisco, rum) straight. Drink coca tea (good digestive), or uña de gato, or hierba luisa tea. Make porridge from local cereal (quiwicha, quinua). Then you won´t need to consume tons of medicine brought from the US. Plus all this is available at the local markets at the fraction of the price of imported/processed foods at the supermarkets.

The only thing I think is worth to do differently from locals here, is investing in bottled water (Evian if you can afford it, but local brands like San Luis or Cielo are ok too).

Then you´ll be able to drink Masato sharing the same glass with 30 people and never get sick :wink:
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm

FYI- when in doubt with a stomach bug-literally maybe?- drink, for 1 week straight at 6 AM..(no sooner, no later) hierba buena or heriba paico.....this stuff is rather pungent, but it works! boil some milk with your heirbas ONLY ONE OR THE OTHER and add some sugar to taste. drink about 6 oz. this is a natural way to eliminate parasitical /water related issues. you can do it regardless if you have something or not. better to be safe than sorry!
LauraMH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LauraMH » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Mommyof2Angels wrote:FYI- when in doubt with a stomach bug-literally maybe?- drink, for 1 week straight at 6 AM..(no sooner, no later) hierba buena or heriba paico.....this stuff is rather pungent, but it works! boil some milk with your heirbas ONLY ONE OR THE OTHER and add some sugar to taste. drink about 6 oz. this is a natural way to eliminate parasitical /water related issues. you can do it regardless if you have something or not. better to be safe than sorry!

interesting this sounds like something my suegra would tell me to do and a million other peruvian health things. but i'm curious where you came by this and what the biology is behind it and are you talking about fresh leaves or the kind you buy in the packets.

i have stomach issues/intestinal problems that usually only resolve themselves with a round of cipro. however, i have been trying linaza/flax seed. i drink it in a glass of hot water/tea and let it soak a little. then drink it all down about 3-4 teaspoons full. i do this for 2 days and it actually worked this last time and i didn't have to use antibiotics, but i don't know that it always works. thanks for sharing ideas.
Live, Love, Laugh
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:29 pm

The usual thing here for stomach problems is cinnamon - tea made with lots of cinnamon - drink it warm, with no sugar. The doctor told me that cinnamon does have an antibacterial component, and does help with stomach bugs.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:02 am

Whenever you eat something you know is going to give you issues later on, or you feel that tell-tale rumble 15 minutes later, a copious amount of pisco usually kills of any bacteria the isn't supposed to be there.

Works for me.
AMG
Gold Member
Gold Member

in reply to Mommy of 2 Angels

Postby AMG » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am

Yes, Mommy of 2 Angels,
Anemia is or can be caused by the parasites. We work with a program that is trying to de-worm as many Peruvians as possible so we do a lot of educating on the subject. As a precaution, even here in Lima, we give worming pills to all who visit from the US/Europe. The one we use is Amendazol 200 or 400mg - it's good for 6 months.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Interesting... this thread went from general to mostly health but I had a couple comments on both.

Find out ahead of time what you can buy here (will depend on where in Peru you live! I live in Arequipa and can't find half the imported stuff there is in Lima) and bring THAT. Don't fill suitcases with stuff you can buy here! It's worth paying a little more for imported prices rather than suitcase overweight (and you will want that weight for what you can't buy anyway!).

As far as sickness goes, you'll hear a ton of different home-remedies from great to ridiculous like in any culture, but just for the sake of budgeting it makes sense to eat local foods (avoiding shady street vendors, of course!).

IOne note on the water. Why buy bottled for the house when you can boil water like most natives do? It's not safe to just drink it of course, but boiling is far more economical. I know some people just prefer to buy but they say it's not any safer. If I'm caught on the street and need water, I'll buy it, but not at home cause that would add up fast! It's important not to overlook details. I can't imagine living somewhere and using bottled/boiled water to brush my teeth for the rest of my life, but I am rather acustomed and can support like a native for the most part. However, I try to be careful not to do something stupid like make coffee with unboiled water (the coffee maker doesn't bring it to boiling) etc..

Why invest in Evian water when San Luis is bottled by coca cola? Just doesn't make sense to me unless you like the taste?
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

MartitaAQP wrote:
Why buy bottled for the house when you can boil water like most natives do?

Why invest in Evian water when San Luis is bottled by coca cola? Just doesn't make sense to me unless you like the taste?

Bottled water is supposed to be filtered (I´m not claiming that it always is), to remove not only bacteria, but some non-organic stuff as well, that is not going away by boiling it. This is my understanding, I haven´t done analysis of bottled water vs boiled tap water, so I might be wrong. I boil bottled water for tea/coffee etc.

Evian is a mineral water sourced from French Alps, its chemical composition is the key here. I can taste the difference. People in France and Italy buy a lot of such water, but in Peru the market for it is not developed yet. If someone sourced good mineral water locally, or brought the water from Utah or Colorado to compete with Evian, it would be great, but at the moment it´s only Evian for a good still mineral water, and it´s not cheap. I think the market is not ready yet to offer competition.

As for natives, they mostly don´t even boil the water. They drink bottled soft drinks, chicha morada, beer, chicha de jora or masato. Last one is fermented yuca brew, which is fermented by women chewing yuca and spitting it back to start fermentation. The key here is to have older women doing it, as the worse teeth she has, the better is the fermentation process and the end product. Then they drink it from the same glass. How about that for doing like the natives? :lol:
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Haha, don't rag on chicha... fermentation can kill a lot more harmful bacteria.

Whether or not natives boil water has a lot to do with where they live, socio-economic level, and family custom. Here in Arequipa, with the exception of the pueblo jovenes, the norm IS to boil water. I lived with a family for a while that often didn't because of time and that family didn't have regular cooking routines or normal customs. When I remarked about this to other Peruvians they were aghast that someone was drinking unboiled water. I am much more likely to skimp on the water boiling than most Peruvians... and just take something to kill the amoebas every once in a while :)

Yes, there may be debate about the purity level of bottled v fancy mineral water, but there seems to be a scientific consensus that boiling is enough for safety.... and based on that, most bottling companies merely boil tap water and there is no filtering process different from that require by law for tap water...that is definitely the case for all coca cola bottled water.
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

All of this sounds so scary...

Postby yoenlima » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:57 am

However, I am living here in Lima since January of this year, with my 2 year old and my 14 year old, and yes, the 14 old had a couple of bouts of really bad stomach problems (it's probably because sometimes he tries stuff that appeals to his eyes! without thinking about origins, exposure to elements, etc.) but my 2 year old has NEVER experienced a stomach problem. In the US I was told that her Rotta Virus vaccine should protect her from most stomach problems in Peru, not sure how accurate this claims is, but so far, she's been very healthy. Also, I was told that because I nursed her for 18 months she is very well protected. Again, not sure if it's a combination of the two, good luck or what.

But just in case, I bought, before coming here, one of those handy dany UV water purifier that i carry with me when we travel and so far, so good...
-Yoenlima
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:30 pm

thats great to hear! my kids werent sick either, from the outside, but during the random test, thats when we found out. then we had the others tested, and the baby had giardia. with NO SYMPTOMS..really. and that one usually has telltale signs!

all i am saying, is be prepared. the water filters dont always work either......theres been several threads on this over the past few years. not sure if the one you bought is an exception, though. youll have to check through them.

as far as the rotovirus. i asked my pediatrician that as well, and they said that they were 2 different classes of problems. do you know that rorovirus is given here in peru to all the children as well????? and they STILL reccomend them to be tested....

yoe, almost all mothers breastfeed their children in peru and this issue still lies....this is peru, not the usa.

i would most def. have your kids tested. its all of 20 soles....better to be safe than sorry. again, its reccomended every 3 months. heres to good results!

best of luck to you, and your children!
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will have my dauhter tested, just in case...

Postby yoenlima » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks for the info. You can never be too prepared.
-Yoenlima
anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Kim,
how do they treat parasites ? My son also has anemia, I thought it was because of breastfeeding, too much milk...

He also has a strange redness around his mouth, I first thought he was allergic to some food, but it completely went away in Canada and now that we're back to Peru, it's there again. I'm wondering if it's not pesticides in the fruits and veggies. In Peru, they seem to think that pesticides are not a big deal.
Last edited by anuta on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esteban
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Our two children, 5 & 6, have been having a hard time with the pollution and humidity. We were told by three different doctors that Lima is known for its problems with upper respiratory and asthma. Now here is the sad part that really upsets me. The first doctor we went to perscribed a huge list of medication for which we spent a pretty penny on. Seeking a second opinion, we wer informed that all that medication was not necessary. Furthermore, it was hinted on that doctors get a kick back for medications they perscribe. More or less he was overdosing our kids just so he could fill his pockets...sad...really sad.
anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Esteban wrote:Our two children, 5 & 6, have been having a hard time with the pollution and humidity. We were told by three different doctors that Lima is known for its problems with upper respiratory and asthma. Now here is the sad part that really upsets me. The first doctor we went to perscribed a huge list of medication for which we spent a pretty penny on. Seeking a second opinion, we wer informed that all that medication was not necessary. Furthermore, it was hinted on that doctors get a kick back for medications they perscribe. More or less he was overdosing our kids just so he could fill his pockets...sad...really sad.

My son was also prescribed various creams, I'm used them a bit and stopped. Better prevent than cure.

Some doctors don't know any better than just prescribing meds. Personally, I always try to find out about the condition (without self-medicating) before blindly trusting the doctor.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:11 am

I second the second opinion. I underwent unnecessary surgery a couple of years ago. And this was the second doctor I had seen. After my sympotoms came back, I went to another doctor, who told me it was an allergy. I went home and looked at the medicine I was using and found out that it had sulfur, something I'm highly allergic to.
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 am

my computer is completely wacko right now, so ill be back later from my MIL´s house to write more about the latest posts.

anna, ill post on here the name of the medication that treats a huge variety of parasites. you can buy it for alvi whether or not he has them, to be sure. its a bubblegum flavored syrup, taken 2X a day at 8 am and 8 pm for a period of 3 days. then the remainder of the week, he will be eliminating dead organisms through his poop, snot, saliva, etc. i have to dig through my huge pile of recetas to find the exact name and dosage. ill do that later. have a good day! ill post some pics of brodys party to FB. chau!!!
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:53 am

OK! as luck would have it, i just went to the stack, and it was only about 5 from the top. the name of the medication is called, transcribed exaactly how my ped. wrote the Rx.

Colufase OR Coluquin

Jarabe

1 cucharada con el desayuno y la cena por 3 dias. (5ml)

*We bought Colufase and it worked great. We also gave it to our son at 8, right before he went to bed since sometimes he gags over medicines, and it would be a bad idea to have him possibly throw up his entire dinner! This medication was easy for him, due to the flavor, though.

**I am not a Dr. and i am not diagnosing, just passing on information that happened to my own child, and how he was treated. all 3 of my kids were treated with this, although Kyleigh DIDNT have parasites. Our ped. said thats its ok to prevent with this medication.

***Each bottle cost S/41.00 at Metro pharmacy. I personally would NOT buy from a local pharmacy or botica since you never know if it could be old, not the real thing, etc.

****The leaflet inside the box--the box is black and yellow-is very very helpful.

Have a good day!
Kim

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register