making money and live cheaper

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

making money and live cheaper

Postby euroman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Guys,

I am currently living in Lima, paying 150 dollars a month for a 2 bedroom flat in a so so neighbourhood in San Miguel and spending another 200 dollars a month on groceries. With my business in Lima I just make enough to survive.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper to move to Trujillo or Piura or maybe Tumbes.
I was thinking to open a bar or a shop in a tourist area or a real estate agency.
My wife is Peruvian so paperwork is not a problem for me.

Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:12 pm

200 usd a month? to me, thats a lot. we spend that on a family of 5 and a live in nanny. why dont you try shopping at the mercados??
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:43 pm

On groceries and pantry items at the market, I spend 100 soles a week and I more or less buy what I want. I used to spend more shopping at Vivanda, Wong and Plaza Vea. I now shop at the markets near my house. I think, the food is fresher and for sure much cheaper, sometimes by 30 percent. Only if I need something custom, do I now go to the supermarkets.

It's funny how shopping at the market you become an expert on the price for a kilo of chicken, tomatoes, potatoes and other things! LOL

There is very little that you can not find at the market by the way concerning food and pantry items. Once you find your vendors, they take care of you, a relationship which doesn't exist in a supermarket. I kind of like that part of the process.

San Miguel is pretty affordable. Living on $400 a month for two is sort of stretch I think. You should definitely think about how to increase your income instead of moving.

I think to live comfortable/well here, you need roughly 3000 soles a month. I sort of figured out my finances, cut out wasteful spending and now have been living on 3000 soles a month. I don't pay rent or have a mortgage, just Miraflores property taxes, which is a nice
luxury to have. I also have health insurance, car insurance, property insurance, etc. I know I could live on less, but I am past that stage in my life of eating Ramen noodles breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Stay in San Miguel and look for another source of income. Does your wife work as well?

George
Regards,

George
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Of course, that depends on your definition of 'live comfortably'. We support a family of four on less than S/.3000 a month, and that's pretty comfortable, with cable, internet and nights out. (and no ramen ;))

However - I would agree that you'd be better off looking for ways to augment your income, unless you have a lot of money and time to invest in a new business in a new location.

Look into ways to earn money online. It can be done.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:11 pm

Piura and Tumbes should be cheaper, Trujillo probably no so much, compared to San Miguel. If you´re talking about tourist areas on the coast, there is a big one from Zorritos south of Tumbes down to Cabo Blanco in Talara, with Mancora being the commercial centre. There are also semi-tourist beaches outside of Trujillo and Chiclayo, seasonal because of cold ocean current.

For opening a bar or a shop, I think Mancora is the best bet. You should get some customers all year around. There is nothing like Plaza San Migiuel there though, it´s all small towns.
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:58 pm

George, where do you work and are they hiring!?!?! :D
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:50 pm

I don't want this to come across wrong. I eat anywhere and everywhere. I eat at 5 sol menus at Polvos Azules and there is not a restaurant or tienda I would turn away. My favorite places to eat are hole in the wall menus.

That said, I really like shopping the mercados, like Lurin and I even went to Chakra Cero. But, I never buy fruits and veggies there. I do not like to boil produce before eating it, so I usually buy things like lettuce and tomatoes and veggies at Vea, or Metro or Wong.

I may be wrong, but as for the produce, it has been rinsed or cleansed. I buy it and eat it without having to wash it. meats and poultry, I do buy at market.

So much talk of fecal matter on produce in Peru, that is one worry I do not have. I have not had any stomach problems in over 2 years, nor my wife or son.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 pm

jamie- chakra cera is about as bottom of the barrel as they come as far as the markets here are concerned. im sorry that was the only place that i seen in passing that had the oven thing!!! i wish i could have sent you to Unicachi....it is a huge, clean, fresh, cheap market place. theres everything there, and its set up amazing. we go every sunday. we get the best strawberries for s/1.80 per kilo. i had fresh carrots cut into sticks for my daughters lunch and i mean an entire bag ful for .50 the eggs are s/3.80 per kilo...we TRUST this marketplace, as there is some rhyme and rhythm to it....the vendors are all in aa Unicachi vest, and everyone is so polite!! i get seriously like 100 USD worth of food(if purchased at wong vea or metro) for less than 100 SOLES. i got shoes there as well, today, dress shoes for work. they were s/18. the same pair i would find elsewhere for s/40. it pays off for us to wash everything in boiled water and a huge collander and some of the fruit and veggie cleaner soluable we purchased in metro. we come out of there every sunday with 2 carts-yes, they have shopping carts there- full of our groceries for the week, and its a stretch if we hit s/100. i love that place!!!! if you like hole in the wall eateries, they have some cevicherias in the restaurant part as well.....s/5 for a huge plate and a chicha. if you are ever out this way, stop there!!!

another place i love, is called La Vega. its on ave. beluaunde in comas...just a few cuardras up from chakra cero. it is a ¨´deposito¨´ and everything they sell is in bulk and CHEAP! its like a mini Sams club. very advanced as far as comas is concerned! for example...i get, in bulk, my butter. i pay, for a docena, 9 soles. each butter i buy costs 1 sol in the tienda, and 1.15 in metro. so i SAVE 3 soles. i also buy the pura vida yougurts for the kids lunch. i pay s/6 for a 12 pack...i get my kids wipes there, and noodles..noodles, for 3.5 kilos are 8 soles. they are all different brands that you can choose from. i buy buy the package, obviously. i buy the suave toilet paper, the orange, or elite, orange for s/8 for a 24 pack.. this is an actual store, not a marketplace. the deals are unreal when you buy in bulk! i think they have several locations, actually...

http://www.corporacionvega.com.pe/

have a great night!

kim
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am

Where is this Unicachi? We're getting a car this week, so it won't be out of the question for me to be going off to markets further from home if the savings is worth it.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:11 pm

We Shop Produce , meat, chicken and fish at the Mercado Magdelena, then we buy dry goods and personal items at Vea.

Be sure to wash your fruit from the mercado. The other day one of the fruit vendors had it's scale busy and her daughter put peaches on a scale at the next cubicle where they vend chicken. Just imagine that fruit sitting in a fruit bowl on your table a few days. Can you say samonella or worse :-).

I stay away from foods from supermarkets, they are not as fresh as the market. We tend to go in the morning 9:00am on Saturday/Sunday. Food is fresh. My wife is very particular and has her methods with fish and other meat and vegetables and fruits. Get's that from many years of cooking with her abuela (granny)

cajun jamie wrote:I don't want this to come across wrong. I eat anywhere and everywhere. I eat at 5 sol menus at Polvos Azules and there is not a restaurant or tienda I would turn away. My favorite places to eat are hole in the wall menus.

That said, I really like shopping the mercados, like Lurin and I even went to Chakra Cero. But, I never buy fruits and veggies there. I do not like to boil produce before eating it, so I usually buy things like lettuce and tomatoes and veggies at Vea, or Metro or Wong.

I may be wrong, but as for the produce, it has been rinsed or cleansed. I buy it and eat it without having to wash it. meats and poultry, I do buy at market.

So much talk of fecal matter on produce in Peru, that is one worry I do not have. I have not had any stomach problems in over 2 years, nor my wife or son.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:03 am

Kelly wrote:Of course, that depends on your definition of 'live comfortably'. We support a family of four on less than S/.3000 a month, and that's pretty comfortable, with cable, internet and nights out. (and no ramen ;))

However - I would agree that you'd be better off looking for ways to augment your income, unless you have a lot of money and time to invest in a new business in a new location.

Look into ways to earn money online. It can be done.

Kelly - I have great health insurance, own a car and have fixed expenses around 1700 soles. I more or less live on S/. 1300 of discretionary spending money. Also, depends on where you live. I live in Miraflores, so some things are more expensive than in other parts of Lima. I know that there are families of 6, that live in 1500 soles a month.

"Living comfortably" is definitely vague and really is a personal definition than anything.
Regards,

George
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:24 am

american_in_lima"Living comfortably wrote: is definitely vague and really is a personal definition than anything.

Very true!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 am

We live in Miraflores also - but pay very little for rent because of a fortunate living arrangement. Other than that, we're paying about the same for everything that we were living in Surquillo. Our arbitrios here are about 10 soles a month more.

Another thing to keep in mind is transportation - depending on where you live and where you have to go, those costs can be much more than expected. We were having to spend about S/.1000 per month on transportation because of my husband's work. Now that he's buying a taxi, we'll have near zero in household transportation costs, because all gas, insurance etc will be coming out of his overhead.

NatureGirl wrote a very good article about living in Lima for $500 a month.
http://tefltips.blogspot.com/2008/07/li ... month.html
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Unicachi is in Comas. By car, it would take about 30-45 minutes from MF, give or take. You could make it a day and go to this little park that they have here. it has one of those boat water slides, etc. heres a link. i dont think its the homepage, so you may have to search around for it. its about 10 minutes from Unicachi- im sure your boys would love it!

http://www.lagranjavilla.com/juegos.html

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register