Help me enjoy my week in Lima!! All suggestions welcomed!!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
schatziek

Help me enjoy my week in Lima!! All suggestions welcomed!!

Postby schatziek » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Okay so I am here until Thursday or possibly Sunday, and will be all by myself!!

I come to Lima at least once a year every year but ALWAYS with family for vacation. This time it was a last minute emergency trip and everyone leaves Tuesday but I have to stay through Thursday, possibly Sunday.

Any advise on what to do? I am staying in Miraflores, right in front of T'anta. I am 24 years old, but I don't know anyone here...and I really want to make the most out of my time here since I have to stay and change my flight. What's a good way to go out and meet people and have a good time safely??

Help!!! :D

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Weekend is almost over, so it will be hard to meet anyone this week since you are leaving on Thursday and for obvious reason most Expats will be working. I really miss the ACAP get togethers, those are less frequent and aren't being announced in this forum anymore.

Things you can do by yourself:
Within Miraflores
-Take a ride on the Mirabus
-Visit Larcomar
-Visit the Indian Markets
-Watch a movie in Larcomar or Ovalo Benavides theater

Near Miraflores
-Visit Casacor, an interior decoration expo in Barranco http://www.casacorperu.com/

Far from Miraflores
-Visit Downtown Lima: the Catacombs, Plaza de Armas & Chinatown, Peruvian "White House"
-Parque de la Exposicion and the "Circulo Magico del Agua" (The "Magical" water fountains)

I could watch a movie , or visit Casacor and the parque de la Exposicion myself as I haven't been there yet. If you feel like having a non alcoholic drink in Larcomar (very healthy guy here) I could join that one too.
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:25 pm

are you a guy or a girl?

the options vary according to sex.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:33 pm

iBanker wrote:are you a guy or a girl?

the options vary according to sex.

The options..and the replies vary according to sex too..
I've seen this situation many times before (and by no means I'm implying anything to you iBanker as it hasn't happened here, but in other forums with tons of "one reply" members)

Case 1: Lonely expat stranded in Lima who doesn't describe gender nor status, needs help and asks for suggestions. Receives a couple of replies, including a suggestive question "are you a guy or a girl?". If he replies "guy" go to case 2. If she replies "girl" go to case 3.

Case 2: Lonely male expat stranded in Lima, needs help and asks for suggestions. Receives a couple of replies and "good luck"!.

Case 3: Lonely female expat stranded in Lima, needs help and asks for suggestions. If she is married 3a) she receives several replies and "good luck". If she is single and not seeing anyone 3b) she receives lots of replies (mostly from males), and lots of activities suggestions that involve the female expat AND the suggester.

I've no idea who Schatziek is or what gender he/she is, but If you happen to be a guy please do not choose a "romantic movie" after my "I could watch a movie" proposal.

----------------------------------------

EDIT: after posting this reply, I noticed it says "Karla" as signature footer. Now we need to know if its case 3a or 3b :p
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Took this from a website:

48 hours in Lima, Peru

LIMA (Reuters Life!) - Got 48 hours to explore Lima? Long considered just a stopover on the way to the famous Inca ruins at Machu Picchu, Lima has emerged as a destination spot of its own in recent years.

Reuters correspondents with local knowledge help visitors get the most from a weekend visit in the Peruvian capital:

http://www.canada.com/travel/story.html?id=803984
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm just an honest person so I would say if the OP is a guy his options specifically regarding the "safe" part are more varied vs. if the OP is a girl.

For example if the OP is a guy he could just hang out around Parque Kennedy or Larcomar and eventually meet a girl to take clubbing, drinking, dancing... well, depending on his game.

If the OP is a girl I wouldn't suggest meeting random Peruvian men. Especially a foreign girl around Parque Kennedy. :P
schatziek

Postby schatziek » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm

ooops okay okay, sorry!! I am a female, and I am 24.

I wasn't expecting to stay in Lima alone, but things went on a very different turn on this family emergency trip and I am required to stay to finish some things before I return to Miami.

I was born in Lima, but was raised in the USA. I speak fluent Spanish and still hold my Peruvian accent. However, because my father is from Switzerland and my mom is Peruvian and part Italian, I look quite "foreign"...I have brown hair, but am really white with green eyes. So people usually think of me as a "gringa" and treat me like one...also the fact that I speak perfect English...I have to talk to them in the most Peruvian-like spanish for a little while for them to realize that I'm really Peruvian at heart.

I just want to make the best out of this week and enjoy my time alone here in Lima. It's a first for me to be here alone... that's why I wanted some suggestions. Since I am staying right in Miraflores I guess I could go catch a few movies, stroll around, shop etc. I would have liked to meet other people but not just men who are interested in something?? I guess if I were staying at a hostel it could be different but like I said, I am in an apt. rental.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice. I am not too wild about eating out alone at restaurants but I guess I'll have no choice...I refuse to be in Lima and miss out on so many great meals...my fav. restaurants in the world are here!! :D

thank you all so much again-- and if anyone thinks up anything new please let me know!!
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:51 pm

I would recommend doing some organised day tour. For example, if weather is fine, you can go to Palomino islands. It´s a good fun, and there will be several other tourists on the boat, so you´ll have someone to talk to if you go there by yourself. Most travel agents can organise that and might have some other suggestions. The idea is to get into group of people who are in the same situation. Then, if people seem nice and friendly, you can organise to go out at night as well, to some peña in Barranco for example. That way you won´t do it by yourself, because for 24yo female, alone, things like getting taxis at night is something you better be careful with. Enjoy your time in Lima! :wink:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:04 am

schatziek wrote:ooops okay okay, sorry!! I am a female, and I am 24.

I wasn't expecting to stay in Lima alone, but things went on a very different turn on this family emergency trip and I am required to stay to finish some things before I return to Miami.

I was born in Lima, but was raised in the USA. I speak fluent Spanish and still hold my Peruvian accent. However, because my father is from Switzerland and my mom is Peruvian and part Italian, I look quite "foreign"...I have brown hair, but am really white with green eyes. So people usually think of me as a "gringa" and treat me like one...also the fact that I speak perfect English...I have to talk to them in the most Peruvian-like spanish for a little while for them to realize that I'm really Peruvian at heart.

I just want to make the best out of this week and enjoy my time alone here in Lima. It's a first for me to be here alone... that's why I wanted some suggestions. Since I am staying right in Miraflores I guess I could go catch a few movies, stroll around, shop etc. I would have liked to meet other people but not just men who are interested in something?? I guess if I were staying at a hostel it could be different but like I said, I am in an apt. rental.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice. I am not too wild about eating out alone at restaurants but I guess I'll have no choice...I refuse to be in Lima and miss out on so many great meals...my fav. restaurants in the world are here!! :D

thank you all so much again-- and if anyone thinks up anything new please let me know!!

I would go to the Starbucks by Park Kennedy (bring a book) many opportunities to meet young travelers.
lestat711
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lestat711 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Bike Tours of Lima would be perfect for you. They are located 1/2 block off of Larco on Bolivar. They also have a website:

www.biketoursoflima.com

The Bay tour is easy and especially beautiful. They also impart a great deal of historical knowledge on the tour.
mtwilson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mtwilson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Tomorrow night is electronica night at Bartini's in Larco Mar, My wife and I go there once and a while for dancing and it is a safe area. Sounds like you have little difficultly with the language barrier, so that's not a problem. Check out the hostels anyway. Loki and Flying Dog are right there in MF and the Taska and Loki's bar are good spots to meet other travelers any night of the week. If this is the kind of thing you are looking for. You don't need the weekend to go out and have some fun here. Tons of restaurants as you know. Good luck and have fun!
Mike
schatziek

Postby schatziek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:42 pm

you guys are amazing!! thank you so much.

well I went to AA today and no flights available for Thursday, so looks to me like I will be here until Sunday!

The bike tour sounds awesome...I LOVE biking!!! I will definitely do that... and thanks Mike for all the info. We'll be in touch!

Anyone been to Caral? Is it worth it? I would like to do some tours if time permits.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Tomorrow is the Depeche Mode concert..you could try buying last minute tickets... 8)

I've been to Caral, I wasn't THAT impressed. It's a 3 hours trip by bus from Lima. Needs a lot of infrastructure : better paths, resting places, more bathrooms, signs, posters etc.
Instead, you could try Huaca Pucllana within Miraflores or the Pachacamac ruins (15-20 mins from Miraflores).
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

plaza san miguel

Postby euroman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm

I live close to Plaza San Miguel.

It´s a big shopping center and you can find there anything.
For nice clothes for a great price, go to Ripleys.

Don´t eat there. However food is excellent, the price are high.
There´s a nice chifa around the corner.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

central lima

Postby euroman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:42 pm

If you like old colonial building, the center of Lima would be interesting.

Although, I recommend not to go alone after dark.
During the daytime, its fine.
Although, its the citycenter, prices are cheap.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: plaza san miguel

Postby markr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 am

Last edited by markr on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
schatziek

Postby schatziek » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm

you guys are full of ideas. ive been so freaking busy with other things ive not had time to enjoy a thing :( but i think things will slow down for me after today.

i've already booked a salon appt tomorrow and a massage for saturday (at Sono) i am beat with so many last minute things.

i don't mind spending $$$ on restaurants here. the food is impeccable for standard US prices. I will be the first to admit Malabar is my fav restaurant ever...but I am also a biased Schiaffino fan :)

Some of you have been so friendly and attentive I really appreciate it. I look fwd to FINALLY enjoying my last 2.5 of days in Lima.

If any of you plan on doing a group thing or anything I'd love to make some new friends before leaving!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register