Fishing in Lima and coast.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fishing in Lima and coast.

Postby rjorosco » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Does anyone know anything about fishing in Lima or near Lima on the coast? I know there is a guy by that offers fishing trips on sportfishingperu.com, but I am looking for something less expensive and more local. I am curious to know what types of fishing they catch in Lima and if there are any fishing areas that anyone knows of that are available? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fishing in Lima and coast.

Postby antonio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 pm

My uncle (an 65 years old man), use to travel to the southern beaches and practice a sort of sport fishing just from the dock.

I know about something more sophisticated sports in the northern beaches as Mancora, where you can practice with professionals (from a boat)

The other possibility is fishing in the highlands (trout fishing) I think it is flyfishing..
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:32 am

What a great idea to introduce a lighter topic.I fish of the beach quite often, but because of safety reasons have been limited to southern beaches and piers. I have various sources for tackle at all prices here in Lima but must admit when I travel to the States or UK I always restock. I would like to investigate the northern side more. My son in law knows the various beaches and I know if you wanted to hire a small boat to fish the bay in Pucusana it is only a few soles. Hotels there are very cheap but have basic facilities.
The military beach at La Tisa is very good and has a small pier. Smile to the guard and he will agree to let you fish.

I am also interested in fresh water lake and river fishing. I understand there are so real beauties hiding under the water

If there is the interest it may be worth concidering a fishing group
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:49 am

If could be a good interesting sport or just a "hobbie" to practice in Peru.

Fishing in rivers and lakes is almost no practiced here in Lima. Everyone I know around doesn't take it even as a remote option. During my time as a backpacker I got a list of possibilites for fishing in rivers and lakes. Rainbow trout is not an species from Peru, but adapted well to the cold water of the highlands.

The idea about a fishing group sound interesting.
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 am

Thank you both, Antonio and Adrian for the info.

Adrian, If I am correct, Pucusana Bay and La Tisa are both about an hour south of lima? What types of species of fish do you usually catch down there besides fluke and corvina?

I have fished in the sierra en peru last July about 5-6 hours from Lima heading towards Huancayo. It is so beautiful!!! Lots of rainbow trout! One with every cast. The only problem is your average fish in about 8"-10" inches. I caught about 5-6 that were around "16-18" during the 3 days I spent there. I know some good parts of the river and some great lagoons as well. If your ever interested in going, just let me know.

I will be moving to Peru in the beginning of May. I plan on doing a lot o fishing. Maybe we could ge together sometime and you can show the fishing spots down south and I will take you out to the mountians for some some trout? What do you think?
descailleaux

Postby descailleaux » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey there!!

Count me in on the fishing here...I even heard from a friend that you can rent a boat, early in the morning, down in Chorillo. Being an avid fisherman for too many years to even remember now, it is obvious game fish of different kinds are out there...you can see the bait fish getting hammered in schools, from above and below!
Has anyone ever rented a boat and chased the moving schools of bait fish just offshore here in Lima? From what I see at the fish markets, even spanish mackerel are out there...I've caught millions of them off the Texas coast...awesome fighters on light to medium tackle...good to eat too!
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

rjorosco wrote:I have fished in the sierra en peru last July about 5-6 hours from Lima heading towards Huancayo

Do you remember the name of the place you have been before ?
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 pm

[
antonio wrote:
rjorosco wrote:I have fished in the sierra en peru last July about 5-6 hours from Lima heading towards Huancayo

Do you remember the name of the place you have been before ?

All I know is that it is about an hour or so from the city of Hauncayo. Hope this helps.
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:54 pm

descailleaux wrote:Hey there!!

Count me in on the fishing here...I even heard from a friend that you can rent a boat, early in the morning, down in Chorillo. Being an avid fisherman for too many years to even remember now, it is obvious game fish of different kinds are out there...you can see the bait fish getting hammered in schools, from above and below!
Has anyone ever rented a boat and chased the moving schools of bait fish just offshore here in Lima? From what I see at the fish markets, even spanish mackerel are out there...I've caught millions of them off the Texas coast...awesome fighters on light to medium tackle...good to eat too!

Descailleaux,

Sure no prob. If you ever want to go or know of any places to go, just let me know and stay in touch. I won't be there until May though.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 pm

descailleaux wrote:Has anyone ever rented a boat and chased the moving schools of bait fish just offshore here in Lima?

There are a lot of micro-fishermen with small boats in coastal line of the ocean. I think it is easy to talk with some of them and offer a payment similar (or slightly higher) to what he use to earn during working day at the ocean. I think the people is quite open to this kind of ideas. I know well how to do that. Safety could be an issue to evaluate before getting into a boat.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Some pictures I took around 6 years ago in some area full of lagoons. I haven't fished before there, but could have good possibilities to do so.

BTW, it is hard to get there:

euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Antonio, where`s that picture taken.

It`s looks like the picture is taken in the Connamara district in IRELAND :D .
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm

rjorosco wrote:Thank you both, Antonio and Adrian for the info.

Adrian, If I am correct, Pucusana Bay and La Tisa are both about an hour south of lima? What types of species of fish do you usually catch down there besides fluke and corvina?

I have fished in the sierra en peru last July about 5-6 hours from Lima heading towards Huancayo. It is so beautiful!!! Lots of rainbow trout! One with every cast. The only problem is your average fish in about 8"-10" inches. I caught about 5-6 that were around "16-18" during the 3 days I spent there. I know some good parts of the river and some great lagoons as well. If your ever interested in going, just let me know.

I will be moving to Peru in the beginning of May. I plan on doing a lot o fishing. Maybe we could ge together sometime and you can show the fishing spots down south and I will take you out to the mountians for some some trout? What do you think?

Lots of different types are there, but I am sure there would be more success if a few foreign methods of fishing other than the patternoister method with the usual local bates. I am trying various methods and have quite a bit of success. I can see this thread is going to be a great on going discussion so we must all get together on this and give it a go to find the best of Peru. I am very interested in the river fishing. Do you use fly, plug or bate? Keep it coming
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Foot note. The pictures are fantastic and a fishermans dream. There is so much untapped water here ready for the adventure
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I have some pic that I wanted to post of the fishing area that I fished here in Peru last July, but the photos are too big. Next time.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:29 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Foot note. The pictures are fantastic and a fishermans dream. There is so much untapped water here ready for the adventure

Thanks Adrian, there are some good places in Lima region for fishing and if we sum Ancash and Junin, probably around 10.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:12 am

Thank You Antonio I am sure there are many more venues that would be open to us and I would love to fish them. I know the security is an important facture and has always given me a problem. A car pulled up on the beach a few days ago with two suspect looking guys. I was with my very large son in law so they decided to drive off. If I had been on my own as I did in the UK the story would have been different.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:29 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Thank You Antonio I am sure there are many more venues that would be open to us and I would love to fish them. I know the security is an important facture and has always given me a problem. A car pulled up on the beach a few days ago with two suspect looking guys. I was with my very large son in law so they decided to drive off. If I had been on my own as I did in the UK the story would have been different.

Adrian, yes safety is always an issue, but from my experience I have never had problems while traveling through rural areas. Showing a low profile is the best strategy. I use to go to a place as a poor peruvian just trying to enjoy Peru, with no fancy equipment or watches.
NewGringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NewGringo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 am

Count me in guys, I fish since I was 6 years old. I also had many power boats and I sail too. I was wondering how the fishing is there.
Attachments
DaddyDiaFish 800.jpg
(88.97 KiB) Downloaded 2113 times
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 am

Wow they are real beauties. This thread is getting bigger by the day. I rarely see others on the beaches but I am quickly discovering a great deal of interest and I am up for most trips boat, beach, river or lake. Would we be interested in a meeting down the pub to discuss this further? I drive so the venue is not an issue with me.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am

Dan, very nice picture; What is the name of that species of fish ?

I have always had a hard time trying to identify the name of different species. Even when they are at the supermarket it is hard to get it.

The peruvian amazon has a famous hard-to-find and hard-to-fish peacock bass. So for Peru there are 3 main areas to fish: the ocean, the highlands and the jungle..

I am a complete novice in sport fishing..
NewGringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NewGringo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

antonio wrote:Dan, very nice picture; What is the name of that species of fish ?

I have always had a hard time trying to identify the name of different species. Even when they are at the supermarket it is hard to get it.

The peruvian amazon has a famous hard-to-find and hard-to-fish peacock bass. So for Peru there are 3 main areas to fish: the ocean, the highlands and the jungle..

I am a complete novice in sport fishing..

Thanks Antonio,they are a pair (male and female) of Lake Ontario coho salmon. 35 and 32 lbs, took me half an hour each of battle to land them with 8lbs line. They come uprivers in the fall to spawn. They are huge, but I saw bigger...there is a million $ prize every year for the biggest, lake trout also
Bass is realy nice to catch, it puts up a spectacular fight, jumps out of thr water and tricks :D
Last edited by NewGringo on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewGringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NewGringo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Wow they are real beauties. This thread is getting bigger by the day. I rarely see others on the beaches but I am quickly discovering a great deal of interest and I am up for most trips boat, beach, river or lake. Would we be interested in a meeting down the pub to discuss this further? I drive so the venue is not an issue with me.

Thanks, count me in adrian, I'll land in Lima at the end of the month, I'm shipping some fishing and camping gear and in march we can start
We need a fishing licence I presume, right?
zarjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zarjoe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

A fishing group??? Count me in too!

Here in British Columbia I fish all the time... but I have never even thought about doing it in Peru. I fish rivers and lakes here for Salmon, Steelhead and trout..... I would love to try some fresh water fishing there.

If you form a group... let me know....

Joe
NewGringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NewGringo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Those pics with the lakes look awsome. My bro in law goes for trout somewhere in the highlands, he grew up there, in Huaraz...will found out places
Fishing combined with camping somethimes, it is always fun, even if you don't cach anything, you bbq and have a graet time outdoors.
danielkryu

Postby danielkryu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 am

Hi,
My favorite hobby is fishing in the USA, therefore, did some venturing out in Peru for fishing opportunity.

When it comes to saltwater fishing, I have been dissapointed for shortage of fish in the ocean (inshore), compared to the abundance in the USA, or lack of charter or party boats in Peru.

First of all, there is no party boat in Peru. Have not heard of professional charter boat either. However, there are fishing guides who will take you with their 4x4 to southern beaches to fish for Flukes or whatever species are in season.

During my 6 years of frequent visit to Peru, I will share some of my experiences.

I have gone down to Paraca to fish for a few days with my employee's older brothers, who have been fisherman for all his life (he's about 60 years old), with his little 12-14' wooden motor boat.

According to him, Peru, having its Humbolt current, was a paradise for fishing up until about 15+ years ago. However, ever since big boats with big nets started to roam around outside of Peruvian ocean, fish population was simply wipped out and depleted.

Moreover, due to lack of fish and enforcement of regulations, many inshore structures are being destroyed by the "bomberos", using dynamites to fish...

During one full days of fishing (about 10 hours in the water), we have caught 2 Lenguados (Fluke), 8 Chitas (Porgy), and 4 Tramboyos (Seabass). To my criteria, most of fish were not keepers, not exceeded the size requirement that I am familiar, in exception of two Porgy that were about 12-14".

Seabass were about 4-8" , Flukes not exceeding even 12" and some were simply size of anchovies and did not matter to the fisherman nor the middleman who bought them. This was a not too bad nor good day of fishing to their standard.

Also, I have tried to fish with locals in Miraflores and found them to be very friendly and nice people.
They were corderos (no rods and reels) using sand flees as bait and we caught about 3 good sized pogies. If you want something nearby for fun of fishing, this may not be a bad place to inshore fishing.

Lastly, went to Pucusana to rent a little boat from local fisherman but decided not go a ride when I realised that ocean looked choppy, probably wind blowing about 15-20 knots and the boat did not have any comunication device (VHS) nor PFD (Personal Floating Device). I own boat and have experiences how mother nature can change her mind in questions of 30 minutes...

My final conclusion about salt water fishing in Peru is that if you want to fish, you have to lower the expectation of catching. However, upside is that there are so many desolated and untouched beaches where you can explore if you have a 4x4. Though my fishing in Paraca was not so fruitful, the scenary was absolutely beautiful.

I would consider getting a 4x4 to go fishing and to explore the beaches and beautiful sea shores. However, if it's done, it must be done at least with another additional vehicle. Driving in remote sandy area requires safety equipments and buddy system. If one vehicle is stuck in the sand, you must have at least another vehicle capable of pulling you out.

As a conclusion, the best way of fishing in Peru is to gather few people with at least 2 or more 4x4 vehicles and explore the beaches in search of fishing opportunities.

FYI, amazon was suppossed to be great fishing destinations. However, I am more of saltwater angler...
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 am

danielkryu wrote:First of all, there is no party boat in Peru. Have not heard of professional charter boat either. However, there are fishing guides who will take you with their 4x4 to southern beaches to fish for Flukes or whatever species are in season.

In reference to your response, did you happen to go on one of those 4x4 fishing tours with a gentelmen named Marcel? I took a trip with him in to the mountain for trout it was a good trip and all, but a little steep on the price for the size of the trout we were catching. I am planning a trip with him again to hit the southern beach for the fluke and corvina. If you have fishedith him before or if you know someone who has, do you think it is worth it?
danielkryu

Postby danielkryu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 pm

rjorosco wrote:
danielkryu wrote:First of all, there is no party boat in Peru. Have not heard of professional charter boat either. However, there are fishing guides who will take you with their 4x4 to southern beaches to fish for Flukes or whatever species are in season.

In reference to your response, did you happen to go on one of those 4x4 fishing tours with a gentelmen named Marcel? I took a trip with him in to the mountain for trout it was a good trip and all, but a little steep on the price for the size of the trout we were catching. I am planning a trip with him again to hit the southern beach for the fluke and corvina. If you have fishedith him before or if you know someone who has, do you think it is worth it?

As I said, I am more into saltwater fishing.
Unfortunately, I have not had chance of fishing with a guide... However, until you have our own 4x4 and some group of people who are traveling together, I think going with guide is perhaps the best alternative.

I know the price a bit stiff, but when considering that the guide provides you from the transportation to all other amenities, I think it may be worth it....

Let us all know the outcome if you decide to take trip.
Carolina Fisherman

Postby Carolina Fisherman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm

I have been living in Lima (Barranco) for a couple of months. My fishing tackle has yet to arrive but would be laughable to use because they are meant for US East Coast surf fishing. (12 foot rods) I was told that the fishing near Lima was limited but figured if Hemingway wrote "The old man and the Sea" here that there must be some decent fishing. I think I landed a little south of his Black Marlin fishing hole. In visiting the local fishing pier/market, I found a lot of people fishing for some kind of little 6 inch (15cm) fish. Excuse my ignorance for not having names for the local fish here. I know that the cold Humbolt current would cause a difference in the types of fishes but it is nutrient rich water and full of small fish. I always thought that where there were little fish there would be big fish after them. Apparently not so. Black Bass and flounder might be worth chasing down but they seem scarce. I spoke with the local "artisan fisherman" as they are called and their reports were a little disappointing. About 100 km out, the longliners bring in some meter long fish that look like real fighters. Out where ocean depth drops from 2 feet. I see fisherman in rowing dories pretty continually but without binoculars it is hard to tell what they are doing. I do not see birds like gulls and pelicans diving for fish, they beg for handouts at the piers. I have considered kite fishing but.....well....a gringo with a 12 foot rod using a kite to get his bait in the water may prove to be a ticket to the mental ward. The ocean seems pretty gentle and I would love to build a sailing dory.....as soon as I can figure a way to get a 15 foot boat from my 5th floor apartment to sea level. The Humbolt dies out fairly quickly beyond Lima and suspect that the real fishing is northern Peru. I hope to eat my words but this has been my short term observation of Peru fishing.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

danielkryu wrote:FYI, amazon was suppossed to be great fishing destinations. However, I am more of saltwater angler...

It is! The Ucayali River and lakes/ponds in the area are excellent for fishing. I didn't even think about it, we had ceviche for lunch yesterday with fresh caught fish, should have taken some pictures.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Wow! Hearing all these bad reports on the fishing in Peru is depressing. I figured a country like Peru which has not been really exposed to sportfishing would be an excellent place for fishing. I guess the commercial fisheries really made a dent into the populations of fish. Quite sad. It is still worth exploring though. Especially the south beach areas of Lima. As for the amazon........it would be awesome to go fish there, but that is one of those places that you need to know someone in order to go out there and fish. Its not like taking a hike out to the local forest preserve and throwing a few lines out. It could be pretty dangerous if you don't know what your doing. I would love to go sometime!
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm

rjorosco wrote:As for the amazon........it would be awesome to go fish there, but that is one of those places that you need to know someone in order to go out there and fish. Its not like taking a hike out to the local forest preserve and throwing a few lines out. It could be pretty dangerous if you don't know what your doing. I would love to go sometime!

To fish in the river, you can rent a peke peke, small motor powered dugout boat with a driver for cheap, you might even see some pink dolphins. The inland areas, yeah... but there are some really good guides here. Getting lost in the jungle is way too easy. There are other risks too.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
rjorosco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rjorosco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 am

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about spotting or catching any sharks along the Peruvian coast. Throughout the years that I have been traveling to peru, I have asked many locals if there were any known sharks around the near coastal waters of Peru. I received the same response from everyone of them......."there are no sharks here." I did bit of research on my own and found out some interesting information. According to an article wrote by a Peruvian-American marine biologist, there are at least 5 known species of sharks that inhabit the near coastal waters of Peru. Here are 2 articles that I found on this subject. I think they ae pretty interesting. Does anyone else have any information or opinions on this matter?

http://www.oceanconservationscience.org ... php?ID=108
http://www.livinginperu.com/news/5827
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 pm

rjorosco wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about spotting or catching any sharks along the Peruvian coast. Throughout the years that I have been traveling to peru, I have asked many locals if there were any known sharks around the near coastal waters of Peru. I received the same response from everyone of them......."there are no sharks here." I did bit of research on my own and found out some interesting information. According to an article wrote by a Peruvian-American marine biologist, there are at least 5 known species of sharks that inhabit the near coastal waters of Peru. Here are 2 articles that I found on this subject. I think they ae pretty interesting. Does anyone else have any information or opinions on this matter?

http://www.oceanconservationscience.org ... php?ID=108
http://www.livinginperu.com/news/5827

When its on my plate its called "Toyo". Nice taste

Fausto
neo2012

Postby neo2012 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm

I did not see this post before so I actually started a new thread but I am really interested in doing some fishing here, I actually would prefer freshwater but I do love ot fish so am game...hope to hear from some fellow fishermen soon!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Carolina Fisherman wrote:I have been living in Lima (Barranco) for a couple of months. My fishing tackle has yet to arrive but would be laughable to use because they are meant for US East Coast surf fishing. (12 foot rods) I was told that the fishing near Lima was limited but figured if Hemingway wrote "The old man and the Sea" here that there must be some decent fishing. I think I landed a little south of his Black Marlin fishing hole. In visiting the local fishing pier/market, I found a lot of people fishing for some kind of little 6 inch (15cm) fish. Excuse my ignorance for not having names for the local fish here. I know that the cold Humbolt current would cause a difference in the types of fishes but it is nutrient rich water and full of small fish. I always thought that where there were little fish there would be big fish after them. Apparently not so. Black Bass and flounder might be worth chasing down but they seem scarce. I spoke with the local "artisan fisherman" as they are called and their reports were a little disappointing. About 100 km out, the longliners bring in some meter long fish that look like real fighters. Out where ocean depth drops from 2 feet. I see fisherman in rowing dories pretty continually but without binoculars it is hard to tell what they are doing. I do not see birds like gulls and pelicans diving for fish, they beg for handouts at the piers. I have considered kite fishing but.....well....a gringo with a 12 foot rod using a kite to get his bait in the water may prove to be a ticket to the mental ward. The ocean seems pretty gentle and I would love to build a sailing dory.....as soon as I can figure a way to get a 15 foot boat from my 5th floor apartment to sea level. The Humbolt dies out fairly quickly beyond Lima and suspect that the real fishing is northern Peru. I hope to eat my words but this has been my short term observation of Peru fishing.

and might i add, very well observed! looks like the best catch is farther out to sea. thanks for the insight Carolina Fisherman!
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Vicam

Postby Vicam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Lima, but I would also love to go on a fishing trip. Would anyone be interested in possibly creating an E-mailing list where we can organize trips once or twice a month? The idea would be to plan out a trip, E-mail everyone on the list about it and see how many want to come. We could also possibly get together for a cookout and a few beers for those who choose to keep their catches afterwards. I don't know many places to fish around here but I would be willing to help plan and work with others who know the area better to organize this.

Let me know!

Paul
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:55 am

Bumping another somewhat old thread but seems there is frequent intest here so....

I will focus my coments on fishing in northern peru along the coast.

You can go to trujillo and visit huanchaco and fish off the pier there. Lots of great fish caught right from the pier. However if you want to experience something different, and if your spanish is good, you can simply approach one of the locals who hang out by the caballitos de totoras and ask them to take you out. They usually use nets but know where to go, and will probably be happy to let you fish with a rod. Best to go out when the surf is small, but also super fun to use this traditional method which has been used for thousands of years. :mrgreen:

You can safely fish from the beach to the north of the pier and out to the end of the dirt road there, but use caution if you are alone. There is also a great marine institute there by the pier in huanchaco which displays all the local varieties of fish caught in the peruvian coastal waters. They have a very knowledgeable staff as well so feel free to ask questions, but best to speak spanish:-)

In this marine institute there are a few sharks on display, so while it is common for the peruvians to deny existence of sharks within their waters, generally speaking, if there is open ocean, there are sharks! There are definitely sharks in peru but it is doubtful you will see or catch one without lots of time, experience, and a good guide.

As you head north the coastal port town of chicama is a really cool little town with many local fisherman. They also have a big long pier which you can fish from and if you want an exta special experience.....I have a contact who owns a nice seaworthy boat who can guide you to an offshore island, to stay and fish out there for the whole day is quite an experience. This trip is best done when the surf is small and early in the morn when the winds are light. These waters are very rich and you will not go back empty handed. On top of this the island has a large population of seals and humboldt penguins, so you can see the amazing colonies there which is worth the trip in itself. I have some pics and will come back here to update this thread with my island pics. If you are into fishing and go to the trujillo area this trip is really a must do, it was one amazing experience to be out there, fishing, enjoying the wilderness of this island.
:mrgreen:
As you go north from chiare about re is abut twenty miles of very remote coastline all easily accessed by 4x4 and completely super safe. Nobody will mess with you there, son buenas personas, gente puro simple people also if you see anyone there they are alple very friendly fishermene fishermen. Youanywheretup anywher on about a twenty km stretch of very beautiful beach between there and puemape. You can drive all the way to puemape along the beach, just be careful of large rocks or the slow pelicans. This zone is extremely ripe with tons of fish, the beach is always loaded with pelicans that are so fat from gorging on fish they cant even move! I stretchthis strtch of beach and mainly used it to go from chicama to puemape for surf trips rather than leaving to drive the panamerican, but i also fished a few times and neverempty handedemptyhan met really, et realoy friendly and cool locals as well as the occasional tourists, local peruvians who came down from chiclayo to Lastly in puemape there is a nice rock outcropping you can fish from, as well as very safe and friendly locals:-) they have caballitos in puemape also and you may be able to ask nicely to borrow or rent one from a local. I did this for free but if i caught anything i would share it with the locals, who will also cook up a mean lunch for you!fish there.

Nortyou can continue along the coast but it gets a little more dangerous, best to be in a group and know the 4x4 road, untilof there is pacasmayo and they have a nice pier and some boats you can also contra Boats are best used when the surf is small, or it will be pretty crazy,also best in early morn when the winds are light.ct in town. Continuing north to pimentel, it more a bit, ore sketchy due to the proximity of the big city of chpuerto but pierto eten is quite nice and a little out of the way.

Heading north from chiclayo yooff at turn of at bayovar and be super ca this ara is super super dangerous x3 very dangerous and lots of banditos, but then eventually you can get to the beach and away from the impoverished port of bayovar. Going both north and south on the coast it seems there are many opportunities but best to go in a group or with a guide and always 4x4.

From there north you arrive at paita, unfortunately i have not yet spent any time there but heard nice things about this port town.

Next up is talara. Stay away from this area. Rough and dirty lots of commercial fishing and very dangerous. However driving north from talara to lobitos you can arrive at a very safe and mellow rural beach community that has lots of security due to the military presence. You can fish from a pier there or hire a boat but use caution. Also lots of open beaches and easy access, along with very safe and friendly locals.

Heading north from lobitos there are many other spots along the coast with easy access, and if you have 4x4 can get off the beaten track easy. There is cabo blanco they have a nice pier and you can also hire locals to take you out on their boats but again use caution. Going north onto the areas around mancora you will find plenty of beaches with very easy acccess and lots of safe spots but best to use caution here and go with a guide or in a group. So many spots, too many to name and many nameless long stretches of open beach.

Well i never ventured much past mancora but hope to get all the way up to the ecuadorian border one day if possible.

During my last time in Peru I spent the most time in the la libertad area so i would highly reccomend it, seems the anchoveta is making a comeback there now, as day after day i would see millions of seabirds blanketing the sky and they we there for a reason, to feed on the inshore anchoveta. It was really an amazing site to see, having aveled the world over for surfing i jave never seen such a site and it was a sign to me the waters were teaming with life! I can fully understand why this zone has been fished since ancient times!

I also can personally vouch for the boat contact I have as a very trustworthy and safety oriented person. I actually bought the motor for his boat and so we went on a few good fishing trips when the surf was down. They even speak a little english....so if you are intersted in this just PM me for contact info, i can provide a cell, email, and local contact info.

Might i also say that i have been on the trip they sell in paracas to the tourists that takes you out to the island there, and the trip in chicama to the offshore island there is very similar, only without the crowded tourist boat. Just you and a few locals and lots of wildlife. I was even dreaming of somehow getting this setup as a busniess similar to the famous tours they give out of paracas, but that is a long term goal and mostly just to benefit the locals of the fishing port of malabrigo/puerto chicama:-)

Apart from the significant time i spent along the ocean, there were a few lakes and rivers up north in the sierra that would probably be quiye worthwhile. I have many pics and since i have some free time on my hands right now, ill try to put together some pics and post up the names of these out of the way spots. My only concern with the lakes, rivers, and creeks in the sierra is that they may be highly contaminated due to the informal, illegal, unregulated, rampant mining in these areas. They may also not exactly be the safest spots, so always exercise extreme caution in the sierra, be very friendly and ask for permission, if you can find authority figures who can guide you that is even better:-) bueno suerte.

Hope this post was helpful!
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:00 am

Sorry for the many spelling errors i typed this up from my tablet. It was painful. I tried to proof it and correct the errors but i think i made it worse:-)
ghows90

Postby ghows90 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Hello,

I am an experienced fly fisherman from NE England. I have recently done some scouting with the fishing gear in the Nor Yauyos-Cochas Landscape Preserve near the border with Junin and found excellent trout fishing. If you and a couple of friends are up for doing some exploring and test your abilities against big fish within wild and spectacular scenery, Sport Fishing Peru are offering new guided tours for both fly and spin fishing starting now. Pm/email me for further info.

Cheers!

Gene
1bocangel

Postby 1bocangel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Gentlemen,
I am planning a trip to Lima Peru and my father in law loves to fish. Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable in the topic and would like a somewhat more affordable alternative to the fishing tours, given that we will only have a day or half a day for him to fish among the other activities planned.
Could anyone provide information on a reliable contact for leasing a boat or who could guide us for fishing around Lima (Pucusana and La Tisa sounded interesting from the replies below, so did Chorrillos).
I am sending this query because most of the replies to the fishing query were posted 3 years ago.
Please let me know, I would appreciate any info you may have.
Thx!
JimHartz

Postby JimHartz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:02 pm

i will be retiring to Lima this summer. After we get settled I would like to meet some expats to share company and knowledge. My fishing experience is limited to California and I haven't fished in so long I'm sure I would be considered a novice. Would love to hear from someone who might enjoy sharing their experience in and around Lima.

Jim
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

I have done a little fishing here up and down the coast, but it can be dangerous unless you are in a party due to robbery etc. I have all the tackle tucked away. A little dusty but am sure it would clean up if you are interested. PM me for further information.
JimHartz

Postby JimHartz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 am

thanks Adrian. you're not the first to mention the danger of surf fishing alone. Not familiar with the term PM me. The equipment I have probably isn't geared for bait casting so I might have to invest in another pole and reel. Thanks for responding

Jim
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 am

JimHartz wrote:thanks Adrian. you're not the first to mention the danger of surf fishing alone. Not familiar with the term PM me. The equipment I have probably isn't geared for bait casting so I might have to invest in another pole and reel. Thanks for responding

Jim

That's fine Jim. PM (private mail) A word to the wise. If you want to by tackle. Get it in the states before you come. It is very limited here and artificial lures are non existent. I bought three rods to my liking and a multiplier in LA for a third of the price. Don't buy lead. That is easy and cheap in China town Lima. Good luck.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:44 am

I was speaking to a fellow the other day. He rod fishes off one of the jetties on the costa verde in Miraflores. I couldn't believe the size of the fish he pulls in! He told me that sometime he'll ask the surfers to pull his line further out (where I imagine he uses a float and a weight). No joke.. some of the fish were 20 and 30 pounders. So, it can be done, and locally.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register