Bus lines to Central America from Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
imagatto2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bus lines to Central America from Peru?

Postby imagatto2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi everyone,

We moved from Arequipa to Piura by bus (Civa). When we were in Lima waiting for our next bus to take us to Piura we saw a clerk behind a desk selling tickets for a bus line that goes into Central America as well as the northern countries of South America. I DID NOT WRITE THE COMPANY NAME DOWN!!! :roll: I can't believe I did that! We are not liking Piura at all and are going to head up into Panama/Nicaragua territory in the next couple of months for a caretaker job. We would like to do it via bus line as there are 3 of us, about 6 bags, etc and it is the most sensible economically speaking for us at this time.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THE BUS LINE THAT RUNS FROM LIMA, PERU TO CENTRAL AMERICA??? And do they have stations along the way like here in Piura? We have looked and asked but no one seems to know here. We only saw the station in Lima, but they would have to go right by us in Piura on the Panamerican Highway.

Thanks a million,
Peg

iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bus lines to Central America from Peru?

Postby iskndarbey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm

You can't go by bus as there's no road, you have to fly or take a boat. I believe Ormeño is the only company that has direct buses between Peru and Colombia.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 pm

There are roads, deep jungle roads, but no commercial bus service. The roads are considered dangerous by many but the most daring of adventurers and it has been traversed by car and motorcycle.
imagatto2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby imagatto2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the info.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:28 pm

americorps wrote:There are roads, deep jungle roads, but no commercial bus service. The roads are considered dangerous by many but the most daring of adventurers and it has been traversed by car and motorcycle.

Well, by a grand total of about ten people, not counting drug dealers. It's definitely not something you can just up and do, even if you are the most daring of adventurers.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm

There are comments on this very website from adventurers who have done it. Google it, it has been done by adventure tourists (and foolhardy ones)

Here is a google search that reveals many who have done it. I still do NOT suggest it as I think it is too dangerous, but that does not mean it has not nor can not be done by a tourist.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... ecf4f91972
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm

americorps wrote:There are comments on this very website from adventurers who have done it. Google it, it has been done by adventure tourists (and foolhardy ones)

Here is a google search that reveals many who have done it. I still do NOT suggest it as I think it is too dangerous, but that does not mean it has not nor can not be done by a tourist.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... ecf4f91972

As far as I can tell from quickly scanning through the first 10 of those links, there have only been six known successful vehicular crossings since 1959. One woman did it twice and tried three other times -- once one of her companions was shot and killed and twice their jeeps got stuck and had to be abandoned.

It is quite easy and pleasurable to go by sailboat, but that's not what we're talking about.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:51 am

It's called the Darien Gap and I've only read about it via other online articles. There has been talk about a ferry from Panama to Ecuador, but as with most things in Lat.Am., it's mostly just talk.

You can however ship your items from Ecuador to Panama, but I do believe that you would have to take a flight from S.A. to get into Central America. I'm not aware of any passenger ships that service the route.
imagatto2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby imagatto2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you everyone.

I completely agree...there is no way between heaven and hell we would make the journey by land....2 americans with a 4 1/2 year old....not good. It would not go well. :lol:

I have done a ton of online research and keeping up with airfares and at this point (unless someone else has a better idea) it would actually be cheaper for us to fly Spirit to FLL then to Managua. It's worth it for us as we have friends in FLL anyway that we can see. But I am amazed at the ridiculous airfares for a flight from Ecuador to Panama or Colombia to Panama. I have checked every airline I can think of...Taca/Avianca, Copa, Lan. But that is how it stands right now. We wanted to go back to the States to visit our families anyway so we're going to do that while we're there, then fly down to Managua when we're done.

Thank you all again for the info.

Peggie

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register