Cost of living in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cost of living in Peru

Postby Oliver S » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:50 am

euroman wrote:I think he paid too much for the flat in Lima.

He maybe pays too much, maybe we all pay too much if we live in Miraflores. But these are the prices nowadays. There is no special Gringo-Price involved. My (peruvian) fiancée went to so many different appartments in Miraflores and everything was above 600$ and if not, the appartment simply was old, ugly, dirty, whatever.

However, the thing I noticed in Lima is - let's leave outside the people who have enough to pay 2000 or more a month:
If you cannot pay a lot, you probably end in a huge flat or even house in Lince, Magdalena, Jesus Maria or some parts in Surco. If you are really poor, you have a huge house with several floors and a garden in San Juan or Villa El Salvador or San Miguel.
If you have the money, you live in a small tiny and noisy place in Miraflores...And still I would always prefer the last option.

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Oliver S wrote:

He maybe pays too much, maybe we all pay too much if we live in Miraflores. But these are the prices nowadays. There is no special Gringo-Price involved. My (peruvian) fiancée went to so many different appartments in Miraflores and everything was above 600$ and if not, the appartment simply was old, ugly, dirty, whatever.

However, the thing I noticed in Lima is - let's leave outside the people who have enough to pay 2000 or more a month:
If you cannot pay a lot, you probably end in a huge flat or even house in Lince, Magdalena, Jesus Maria or some parts in Surco. If you are really poor, you have a huge house with several floors and a garden in San Juan or Villa El Salvador or San Miguel.
If you have the money, you live in a small tiny and noisy place in Miraflores...And still I would always prefer the last option.

Well, it's clear you've got it all figured out Oliver, so there's not much point in continuing this thread, is there?
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Polaron wrote:Well, it's clear you've got it all figured out Oliver, so there's not much point in continuing this thread, is there?

ironic, no? I exagerated of course, but I ve seen great appartments and houses with 200m2 or more for 80 to 100$ a month. You just dont really want to leave outside there ...
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Oliver S wrote:

But these are the prices nowadays. There is no special Gringo-Price involved. My (peruvian) fiancée went to so many different appartments in Miraflores and everything was above 600$ and if not, the appartment simply was old, ugly, dirty, whatever. [quote]

I just got through paying $600 a month totally negotiated and the lease signed by a peruvian, for an apartment that was old and funky. big, but old and funky, with no elevator, so yeah, fully agree.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 am

I do not know if it is still the case,But about 6 mos. ago we noticed a "softening" in the rental market and decided to upgrade.

We looked at close to 100 apartments over a two-three month span. We made offers on several (6) but backed out as we discovered better deals.

In the end we got a brand new 139 sqm/4 bedroom/3 &1/2 bath/hardwood floors/granite kitchens & Baths/ top of the line fixtures/ parking garage and large patio for $650.00 a month + $133.00 maintenance only a 4 min walk to Park Kennedy. When we originally looked they wanted $900.00 a month, but as I could pay a year upfront and the building was vacant, the owner of the building was happy.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 am

USD 133 for maintenance? What exactly does that include?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:16 pm

All the normal stuff doorman/elevators/utilities & cleaning common areas. Since this is a rental building also anything needed inside/outside and I think the arbitrios as well!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:03 pm

650 dollars rent and 133 dolars for maintenance. For 100 soles a month you rent a house with stunning views in Tarapoto with nice weather all year round.
I think you`ve charged the gringo rate.
When I was living in Lima, I paid 600 soles a month for a nice 2 bed flat with seaviews.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:58 pm

I've lived in a 600 sol apartment, and I've lived in a $600 apartment. Trust me, they aren't the same thing at all.
Daydreamer

Postby Daydreamer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I have from time to time logged on here and read the posts and from what I have seen not many come on here saying I can pay $2-3000 per month in rent.

My position is different, everyone's is right? Our plans are still to re-locate to Lima but to do it from a position whereby we can afford such rates and send our kids to private schooling. I have asked our family in Lima the same question but maybe someone here who is in Lima at the current time can provide me some better info. If I were looking to spend that much i.e. $2-3000 per month in rent what type of place could I get? I am looking at La Molina areas as my first priority 3-4 beds, house freestanding, 400 sqm+ modern etc.. Neither am I going to pay gringo rates as my wife and family are from Lima I just hold the money bag.

Please do not shoot me down in flames and say I could rent somewhere for 200 soles...

My budget would be $60k USD a year all up - my children are still young i.e. under 2 so no need for a large chunk of that to go onto school fees.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 am

Daydreamer wrote:I have from time to time logged on here and read the posts and from what I have seen not many come on here saying I can pay $2-3000 per month in rent.

My position is different, everyone's is right? Our plans are still to re-locate to Lima but to do it from a position whereby we can afford such rates and send our kids to private schooling. I have asked our family in Lima the same question but maybe someone here who is in Lima at the current time can provide me some better info. If I were looking to spend that much i.e. $2-3000 per month in rent what type of place could I get? I am looking at La Molina areas as my first priority 3-4 beds, house freestanding, 400 sqm+ modern etc.. Neither am I going to pay gringo rates as my wife and family are from Lima I just hold the money bag.

Please do not shoot me down in flames and say I could rent somewhere for 200 soles...

My budget would be $60k USD a year all up - my children are still young i.e. under 2 so no need for a large chunk of that to go onto school fees.

I do not know about La Molina, but for that price you could find a "modest" house in Miraflores or San Isidro. With the rental yields in Peru and a 60k salary you should consider buying instead.
mjcole
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mjcole » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Daydreamer wrote:If I were looking to spend that much i.e. $2-3000 per month in rent what type of place could I get? I am looking at La Molina areas as my first priority 3-4 beds, house freestanding, 400 sqm+ modern etc.. Neither am I going to pay gringo rates as my wife and family are from Lima I just hold the money bag.

Ok...#1 That is WHY they call them Gringo Rates! YOUUUU (the gringo) hold the money bag!!! jajajaja

#2, Whooo on this planet WANTS, and is so willingly ready, to spend $2-3000 on rent (over your childrens' education...no matter what their age)??? Really....THIS is the reason gringo rates exist!

Well, with that out of the way, check Livinginperu.com ...I did recently see a house (looked nice) in La Molina for ...you guessed it $3000.00 a month...they may still be waiting for you!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Just like anywhere else, you can get a lot more house for $2000 than you can for $500. And it's not just gringos paying those kinds of rent here.

I really don't see any reason to mock someone who wishes to have that much house. If I had the money for a $2000/month house in La Molina, I just might go for it too. At least there's more sun there in the winter.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Kelly wrote:Just like anywhere else, you can get a lot more house for $2000 than you can for $500. And it's not just gringos paying those kinds of rent here.

I really don't see any reason to mock someone who wishes to have that much house. If I had the money for a $2000/month house in La Molina, I just might go for it too. At least there's more sun there in the winter.

I agree, with the exception of the part about the kids education! He can get away with it for about two years ,then most of his money will be going for school and other child expenses. Most budgeteer's would say he should only spend about 25-30% on rent or $1200-$1500 a month. Most Peruvians with 5k a month salaries (Buy vs Rent) and there mortgages are only $900.00 a month. I have more income and lower rent, but I prefer to spend my money on Food/Travel and a bit of Whiskey!

This will be the third "Black Friday" our "school group" of four couples will be travelling to the USA for our annual shopping spree!
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 am

http://urbania.pe/ well, just look for yourself.

La Molina. green and sunny but boring and far away from everything.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Okay, I honestly don't think anyone should be critiquing this person's decision to spend whatever amount on rent. It is their decision. There are plenty of people in this city that can afford expensive housing - Peruvians and foreigners alike. He is asking for help / advice... not about whether or not the amount is acceptable by individuals on this board.

There are GORGEOUS houses in La Molina that rent for $2000 + and everyone I know who lives there is Peruvian. The houses and yards are just beautiful. I would love to be able to afford to live over there. If people have the money to do it, all the more power to them. It would cost A LOT more than that to rent a huge, gorgeous house in Washington DC, London, Paris, Madrid, etc.

Private international schools are expensive here, yes. I teach in one of those expensive schools. If you have questions about them, I can probably answer them, or find out the answer quite easily. Send me a PM.
Katie
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

[[quote="uwwgal"]Okay, I honestly don't think anyone should be critiquing this person's decision to spend whatever amount on rent. It is their decision.

There are GORGEOUS houses in La Molina that rent for $2000 + I would love to be able to afford to live over there. If people have the money to do it, all the more power to them.

The rich gringo with mucho dollares could also live in a cheaper appartment and help poor people with paying their rent.

I have little money to spend but I pay the water and electricty bill of one of my neigboors because she`s too poor to pay for it.
Daydreamer

Postby Daydreamer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 am

Thanks Katie and everyone for your comments and the website. Hmmm, maybe La Molina might be a bit boring as you say that needs more consideration methinks.

My situation maybe different but then I have worked pretty hard for it and made significant sacrifices over the last few years to squirrel away my savings and make wise investments. My income will be based on a portion of net returns per year when I am in Peru, I do not want to have to find a job to pay the bills. I will only work if I find something I want to do - getting paid would be a benefit.

My intent in coming to Peru, as I stated is not to be a gringo, my wife is Peruvian and a solicitor. We intend on buying a house and putting our children into top private schools - this is one of the things we promised ourselves we would do for our kids no matter where we were. Renting is a short term fix to settle in for the first 6-18 months.

Our reasons for coming to Peru are to break out of the corporate merry go round and get somewhere where community and family for people are important. If I can do it my way then this is how I will do it.

We currently live in Sydney and on Saturday night we went to a fund raiser for Donnie Brasco (sp?) which helps homeless boys in Lima. This would the type of thing I would get involved in if my family came to Peru.

Also questioning my integrity cause you presume I want to rent an expensive house over my children's education is bad form.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Daydreamer,

Have you thought about looking in San Borja or Surco? These areas would keep you closer to the "action", as well you may be able to get more house for your money.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:52 am

you may be able to get more house for your money

How much money for "how much house" more or less?
Just to get an idea.....
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Come to Tarapoto and you´ll get more money for your house.

I bought my house for 24000 soles, invested another 15000 in it. 39000 soles in total in november 2009...now it´s worth 55000 soles. Prices soar like crazy in Tarapoto.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

What I meant by "getting more house for your money" was that In Surco and San Borja you can get housing that is less isolated than La Molina. Until you have been there, it is hard to envision how far La Molina is away from everything else in Lima. Confounding that is the traffic. It's a nightmare. Add a good half hour to an hour each way to your commute if you are working in San Isidro or Miraflores. That being said, living in La Molina seems to give you larger lots for similar prices that you would find in other communities already mentioned but the size of the houses seem comparable.

Daydreamer,I like your idea of renting for awhile. See if La Molina works for you and your family. Tour around the other areas and keep an eye out for places you may want to live. My example is that I have lived in Surco and San Borja while working firstly in La Molina and lastly in San Isidro. I spent most of my time in San Isidro and Miraflores. Tons of clubs/shops/restaurants etc... so when my wife and I move back, we have decided on a certain part of San Isidro to buy a place.

I am sure that once you are in Lima and lived there for a bit, you will develop some sort of work/school routine and with that in mind you will find a location that is perfect for your family. With your budget you have a lot of choices.

congrats!
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Also, is your want to get an idea of housing prices in different areas check out:

adoos.com.pe or olx.com.pe
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help with with cost of baby sitter/nanny for a 4 motnh old and 3 eyar old? 3 - 4 days a week max.

What sort of ballpark figure am I looking at for someoen in Lima (Magdelena)?

We want trustworthy and quality family orientated help.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Nate wrote:Hi,

Can anyone help with with cost of baby sitter/nanny for a 4 motnh old and 3 eyar old? 3 - 4 days a week max.

Not sure, always thought Nannies were 6-7 days a week!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 am

uwwgal wrote:Okay, I honestly don't think anyone should be critiquing this person's decision to spend whatever amount on rent. It is their decision. There are plenty of people in this city that can afford expensive housing - Peruvians and foreigners alike. He is asking for help / advice... not about whether or not the amount is acceptable by individuals on this board.

There are GORGEOUS houses in La Molina that rent for $2000 + and everyone I know who lives there is Peruvian. The houses and yards are just beautiful. I would love to be able to afford to live over there. If people have the money to do it, all the more power to them. It would cost A LOT more than that to rent a huge, gorgeous house in Washington DC, London, Paris, Madrid, etc.

Private international schools are expensive here, yes. I teach in one of those expensive schools. If you have questions about them, I can probably answer them, or find out the answer quite easily. Send me a PM.

Absolutely perfect. La Molina has some of the best schools in Lima and the homes are amazing. We bought a 1000 square metre plot with a four year old achitect desighned house of 400 square metres. The house and gardens to the front and rear are beautiful. Paid $200,000 in 2007 and the property has been valued resently at over $500,000. Not bad in three years and the life style is fantastic. All the services are local and we can in fact walk to Lord Byron school in five minutes. Newton is a ten minute bus ride. A car ride to Miraflores is thirty minutes, but worth the effort for clean clear skies (No fog or fumes). Only the sound of birds when you wake in the morning and Summer weather all year round .
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
Nate wrote:Hi,

Not sure, always thought Nannies were 6-7 days a week!

Do you know what a 6-7 day a week Nanny costs?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Everyone has their own idea of what's fair - typical wages for housekeepers and nannies are around S/.30 to 50 per day.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Kelly wrote:Everyone has their own idea of what's fair - typical wages for housekeepers and nannies are around S/.30 to 50 per day.

Thanks Kelly.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 pm

I pay my housekeeper/nanny S/. 35 for half a day (four or five hours). She cleans the house and is the dogs' nanny while she is here.

:roll:
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:44 am

La Molina is a beautiful place to live, in comparison to Miraflores, which is dreary, noisy, and crowded. There are clear skies all year round and fresh air. Don't believe people that say its too far. I can hop in a taxi and get to Miraflores in 30-40 minutes. Also, Miraflores is not the center of the Lima universe. There are many excellent restaurants and nightlife in Surco, San Isidro, and La Molina itself.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:03 pm

NexLevel wrote:La Molina is a beautiful place to live, in comparison to Miraflores, which is dreary, noisy, and crowded. There are clear skies all year round and fresh air. Don't believe people that say its too far. I can hop in a taxi and get to Miraflores in 30-40 minutes. Also, Miraflores is not the center of the Lima universe. There are many excellent restaurants and nightlife in Surco, San Isidro, and La Molina itself.

I agree Nexlevel, ""where you live is where you live"". I do not understand why people flock to an expensive town, with smog, overcast, highlevels of crime.

I love Pimentel (Chiclayo), but many of my relatives think that I am crazy not to live in Lima. Lima is the center of Peru, but not the universe. I cannot see my self buying an expensive (box) apartment in San Isidro/Mirsflores to be with the incrowd. I remeber my aprtment in Mirflores (i am 6'3 240), I could only fit a bed in the room. We finally found an older home with large rooms in Mirflores, but lacked the things that a modern apartment has, so you have to deal with the trade offs.

La Molina is beautiful, it was one of the towns I considered near Lima, but I am a beach person and I had to find a place where the beaches were not so crowded and the real estate was not too expensive. Trujillo and Chiclayo have some nice quaint beach towns, I love the north, warm and mostly sunny year round.
I love to step outside my place and hear the waves or buy fresh caught fish/seafood from local fishermen on the beach. Hopefully one day I can retire in Pimentel (no longer in Peru).
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 pm

LOL, ya it gets tiring getting asked all the time why I live so far away. Far away from who?? Pimental sounds nice, I'll have to check it out this summer.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 am

NexLevel wrote:La Molina is a beautiful place to live, in comparison to Miraflores, which is dreary, noisy, and crowded. There are clear skies all year round and fresh air. Don't believe people that say its too far. I can hop in a taxi and get to Miraflores in 30-40 minutes. Also, Miraflores is not the center of the Lima universe. There are many excellent restaurants and nightlife in Surco, San Isidro, and La Molina itself.

I could not agree more with NextLevel The home and environment is beautiful in La Molina and a short hop to any district in Lima. My wife is out visiting all parts on the combi. I agree that in Miraflores you have the excitement of a walk to the clubs and beach, but there is also the pleasures of fumes, smog and noise. I am sitting here in one of the safest areas in Lima with the best schools and all I can hear is many varieties of tropical bird.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:The home and environment is beautiful in La Molina and a short hop to any district in Lima.

If you don't have to travel during rush hour that is.
El Gringo charapa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby El Gringo charapa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm

When I lived in Yarina Cocha (Pucallpa) we paid 100 soles a month for a beutiful detached wooden house on stilits next to the lake. It always amazes me the prices people pay to live in the most unpleasant place in Peru - Lima.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 am

Remigius wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:The home and environment is beautiful in La Molina and a short hop to any district in Lima.

If you don't have to travel during rush hour that is.

You are right. An extra 20 minutes in the rush hour, because we love an extra 15 minutes in bed, to give up the trappings of constant traffic noise, fog, high risers, beggers, prostitutes, pick pockets, stolen post, not allowing the children in the street on their own at night. etc. etc. I know my choice.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:You are right. An extra 20 minutes in the rush hour, because we love an extra 15 minutes in bed, to give up the trappings of constant traffic noise, fog, high risers, beggers, prostitutes, pick pockets, stolen post, not allowing the children in the street on their own at night. etc. etc. I know my choice.

Most of the offices and work are in the San Isidro/Miraflores area. Being stuck in horrendous traffic twice a day isn't ideal, don't you think? (20 mins extra? If yer lucky!). However, if you don't have to travel outside La Molina, I guess it's okay; a bit isolated though.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:33 am

i lived in la molina when i first moved here, and like san borja, i felt that they were lovely places to be if you had a family with small children. however, i dont have children, and all my friends lived in the miraflores area, and at that time i also worked in miraflores. if i didnt leave an hour before i had to be at work, i would hit rush hour and it would take me an hour an a half to get to arequipa con angamos. if i didnt have anyone to drive me, and i would have to get a taxi, it would cost about 20 soles... if they would even take me. i never took a combi in the morning, but i would often take them home at night. i got out a bit early from my job in MF and if i left exactly at that time, it would take me about 50 minutes to get back to la molina on a combi. if i left a half hour later or more, then it would take about an hour and a half, sometimes more (javier prado was a real treat, jaja). i lived over by the monumental stadium... kinda (that stadium is in Ate and I was in LM)... so not even really far la molina

now i live in mf, and it is much better for me, even though i work in surco. i have to leave 45 minutes before i have to be at work, though... and im there a half hour early... but if i leave a half hour before, i probably wont make it on time. coming home usually takes 40 minutes to an hour, though... sometimes longer. i hate traffic! jajajaja

But anyways, making the call of where to live needs to be based on the type of person you are and what you want. I love MF and to me it is the perfect place to live in Lima for someone in their 20s without a family.
Katie
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 am

euroman wrote:[
uwwgal wrote:I have little money to spend but I pay the water and electricty bill of one of my neigboors because she`s too poor to pay for it.

Euroman.... you are so generous. Perhaps he isn't so altruistic.
:-)~mike~(-:
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:03 pm

NexLevel wrote:La Molina is a beautiful place to live, in comparison to Miraflores, which is dreary, noisy, and crowded.

And you don't call LaMolina Crowded? Well, i was near the corner of LaMolina and Javier Prado so I suppose that might be why it seemed so crowded. But everywhere I went it seemed to be the same. (lots of people)
mikes1000

Postby mikes1000 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 am

Hi,

I am a sinlge 55 year male from the US. I am thinking of retiring in Peru. I speak Spanish fairly well and have travel in Latin America previously. I visited Peru on a two week vacation a couple of years ago and although I like Peru in general, parts of Lima are very poor but I am still thinking about retiring to Peru! I have saved about $250,000 in cash (plus a little more in a retirement account) and after paying US taxes I will recieve about $2200 a month in a teacher retirement pension. I have several questions and I thank anyone in advance for helping me answer these questions.

1. According to the information about the Rentista Visa, the money that I receive in my pension must arrive in Peru through a financial institution. Can someone explain exactly how this works? My retire pension fund will only directly deposit my pension in a US bank.

2. Would it be possible to live a Peruvian middle class life on $2200 as a single person? I am not looking for luxury.

3. I know that Lima is not the safest place in the world, but if I buy a condo in a "safe" area, Miralfores, Surco, La Molina, would I be a constant target as an older expat?

3. Would it be possible to buy a modest condo in one of the above areas for around $100,000

Thanks very much
Carloarturo

Postby Carloarturo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:39 am

What can anyone tell me about living in Peru as an expat with income from outside the country?
Do they really tax you at a rate of 30%on foreign eraned income? And what if you are "retired", is there a differernt tax rate as a "rentista" than as a domiciled tax payer?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 am

Carloarturo wrote:What can anyone tell me about living in Peru as an expat with income from outside the country?
Do they really tax you at a rate of 30%on foreign eraned income? And what if you are "retired", is there a differernt tax rate as a "rentista" than as a domiciled tax payer?

Carlo I am retired in Peru with a British pension. The income is taxed at source and I draw it here. There is no further taxation of that money in Peru.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:15 pm

mikes1000 wrote:Hi,

I am a sinlge 55 year male from the US. I am thinking of retiring in Peru. I speak Spanish fairly well and have travel in Latin America previously. I visited Peru on a two week vacation a couple of years ago and although I like Peru in general, parts of Lima are very poor but I am still thinking about retiring to Peru! I have saved about $250,000 in cash (plus a little more in a retirement account) and after paying US taxes I will recieve about $2200 a month in a teacher retirement pension. I have several questions and I thank anyone in advance for helping me answer these questions.

1. According to the information about the Rentista Visa, the money that I receive in my pension must arrive in Peru through a financial institution. Can someone explain exactly how this works? My retire pension fund will only directly deposit my pension in a US bank.

2. Would it be possible to live a Peruvian middle class life on $2200 as a single person? I am not looking for luxury.

3. I know that Lima is not the safest place in the world, but if I buy a condo in a "safe" area, Miralfores, Surco, La Molina, would I be a constant target as an older expat?

3. Would it be possible to buy a modest condo in one of the above areas for around $100,000

Thanks very much

Hello mike,
1. You need to provide a letter from your bank that the money (at least $1,000) will be transferred to a Peruvian bank.
2. yes, fairly easy if you own a condo.
3.No, If you stay in Miraflores there are many older white expats (myself included).
4.Yes and probably less!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 pm

how do you avoid gringo rates?
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Carloarturo wrote:What can anyone tell me about living in Peru as an expat with income from outside the country?

Peru has a tax treaty with many countries, and if not yours taxes may be an issue. I am going to guess it has a treaty with most countries. Either way it is probably a good idea to research in how your country treats expats when it comes to taxes.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:37 pm

bmike1 wrote:how do you avoid gringo rates?

If you're wife/gf is Peruvian, let her do the talk and hide behind the bushes.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:01 pm

There's a ton of info here on the Expat Site about Rentista visas -

Part One
Part Two
Can You Work?
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 pm

itsallgood wrote:

Stay on a tourist visa. Leave every six months or pay $1 dollar for every day overstay and you won´t have any obligations to declare your income.

If you don´t tell anyone, you won´t get hassled.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register