looking for any type of work

Employers: Place your job description and contact details here.
Forum rules
Please do not post your services here - This forum is for job offers and searches.
keithr1138

looking for any type of work

Postby keithr1138 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:47 pm

im an american with a peruvian son and fiance and wondering if theres anyone who can point me in the direction of a job, so i dont have to waste too much time once i get there. yes ive sent my resume to 30 of the job listings ive seen on here but none have replied, maybe this way i can be put in direct contact with someone. whatever work you got, im open to anything, just looking for a way to support my family and im fully bilingual so that wont be a problem

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: looking for any type of work

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 pm

keithr1138 wrote:im an american with a peruvian son and fiance and wondering if theres anyone who can point me in the direction of a job, so i dont have to waste too much time once i get there. yes ive sent my resume to 30 of the job listings ive seen on here but none have replied, maybe this way i can be put in direct contact with someone. whatever work you got, im open to anything, just looking for a way to support my family and im fully bilingual so that wont be a problem

Do you think that companies in the US will respond to someone who sends a resume from someone from the other side of world?
The biggest burden as a US citizen is getting a work permit. It's very hard, takes a long time and costs an amount of money to get one. The potential employer must be able to prove that he can't find an employee in Peru for the job that you are applying to. The employer must be willing to sponsor your visa and pay for all costs to get you a work visa. Very, very few companies are willing to do that.

The unemployment rate is high in Peru and for every single job, thousands of people are applying.
Most people make the mínimum wage of around $265 a month and the working week is at least 6 days a week. 7 day work weeks are common. And working days of 12 hours are common as well. But many people accept less than getting paid the mínimum wage just to get a job. Competition for jobs is very competitive.

You will need to provide very good references that can be verified and you need to provide proof of educational qualifications that can be verified as well. For many jobs you need a professional or university degree. Companies will not just take your work, references and workexperience will be verified thorougly.
keithr1138

Postby keithr1138 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:06 am

looking more along the lines of a hostel, or a telemarketer company. im not expecting some awesome job.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 am

keithr1138 wrote:looking more along the lines of a hostel, or a telemarketer company. im not expecting some awesome job.

For those jobs competition is even bigger and those jobs pay the mínimum wage of $265 a month or less.

Do you think you will be able to pay your rent and support your family with that money? I guess you'll be better of living of wellfare in your homecountry.

The problem is that is will be very unlikely that employers will sponsor your workvisa for those jobs as your visa application will most likely be unsuccesfull because there are enough Peruvians that are willing and be able to do those jobs.
keithr1138

Postby keithr1138 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:00 am

Where im from its a bit offensive to tell someone they're better to live off welfare. No rent either as we own our own house. I dont care about how much i can make, because chamba es chamba and i'll take anything over selling peanuts again.
arobes92

Postby arobes92 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 am

Do you have any experience teaching English? I've been teaching here in Lima for about a month now. If you don't have any experience or training, it might be tough to find a job at a teaching company or institute but you could try to find some private lessons to teach.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 am

I can't speak to telemarketing work, but hostels are going to hire someone who walks in the door and asks for a job. If they're looking they might put out an online ad, but they're most likely expecting applicants to be ready to start very soon. For lower-level type of jobs ("I'll do any type of work") no one really hires someone who's currently half a world away. They have no idea if you'll actually show, or maybe they need someone to start tomorrow. A company looking to fill an upper level position might patiently look for the right person and consider someone from abroad.

Don't be discouraged by the negative talk. If you want to work you can always find something if you're willing to work at a hostel. It is correct that you shouldn't have expectations of making much money. Usually hostel jobs are filled by young, single, backpacking, travelers; not people looking to support a family. Hopefully you're in a position where you're just looking to supplement and not looking for a main source of income. Good luck.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Keith

I would recommend you wait until you are married (hopefully that won't be long from now?), do all your paperwork, wait the approximate 1 - 2 months to get a carnet de extranjería, and then look for work.

Be careful over staying and then getting having trouble doing your paperwork due to an overstay.
Regards,

Argidd
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:00 pm

keithr1138 wrote:Where im from its a bit offensive to tell someone they're better to live off welfare. No rent either as we own our own house. I dont care about how much i can make, because chamba es chamba and i'll take anything over selling peanuts again.

What kind of skills, education or abilities do you have. You seem to have the drive and desire down pat.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 pm

argidd wrote:Hi Keith

I would recommend you wait until you are married (hopefully that won't be long from now?), do all your paperwork, wait the approximate 1 - 2 months to get a carnet de extranjería, and then look for work.

Be careful over staying and then getting having trouble doing your paperwork due to an overstay.

Indeed, when he's married to a Peruvian citizen then he won't have all the hassle applying for a work permit as partners of Peruvian citizens are allowed to work but getting a CE will take some time and in the meantime he isn't allowed to work. But the wait is worthwhile as he will no longer get restrictions and his chances of getting a job afterwards will improve a lot. He will also be allowed to start up his own business if he wants to.

I wouldn't recommend him to work him illegally as he will expose himself to all kind of abuse and exploitation. There are gringos that work illegally but most of the times, the pay is marginal and the working conditions are harsh. In that case, the working conditions when flipping burgers at the Mac in your homecountry will be much better compared to working illegally in Peru.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 pm

chi chi wrote:I wouldn't recommend him to work him illegally as he will expose himself to all kind of abuse and exploitation. There are gringos that work illegally but most of the times, the pay is marginal and the working conditions are harsh. In that case, the working conditions when flipping burgers at the Mac in your homecountry will be much better compared to working illegally in Peru.

What exactly are you basing this on? First hand experience? I've stayed in my share of hostels and many times there's been a gringo working at the front desk or tending bar. I'll agree that the pay is marginal, but I've never encountered anyone who said they were subjected to harsh working conditions or felt they were abused and exploited. Gringos have no incentive to put up with that kind of behaviour. They'll pack their backpack and continue on their journeys before putting up with those conditions. I haven't worked in Peru, but in Mexico and Central America when I've worked at hostels I was always treated decently, fairly, and respected. They valued my work and wanted me to continue working for them so they treated me well. The pay wasn't great but I usually got free room and board and fondly remember many of the people I met and the good times we had. Tending bar at a hostel is far better than what I'd imagine burger flipping at Mickey D's would be like.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:46 am

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:I wouldn't recommend him to work him illegally as he will expose himself to all kind of abuse and exploitation. There are gringos that work illegally but most of the times, the pay is marginal and the working conditions are harsh. In that case, the working conditions when flipping burgers at the Mac in your homecountry will be much better compared to working illegally in Peru.

What exactly are you basing this on? First hand experience? I've stayed in my share of hostels and many times there's been a gringo working at the front desk or tending bar. I'll agree that the pay is marginal, but I've never encountered anyone who said they were subjected to harsh working conditions or felt they were abused and exploited. Gringos have no incentive to put up with that kind of behaviour. They'll pack their backpack and continue on their journeys before putting up with those conditions. I haven't worked in Peru, but in Mexico and Central America when I've worked at hostels I was always treated decently, fairly, and respected. They valued my work and wanted me to continue working for them so they treated me well. The pay wasn't great but I usually got free room and board and fondly remember many of the people I met and the good times we had. Tending bar at a hostel is far better than what I'd imagine burger flipping at Mickey D's would be like.

I am not saying that in all companies the working conditions are harsh if you work illegaly but working conditions will not be like in your home country. In many countries in Europe, you work 38 hours a week, 2 days off a week, you get paid on your days off, you get a 13th month pay, 5 weeks off a year and you get paid doublé when on leave. When off sick, you still get paid your wage and when you lose your job, you get unemployment benefit. And when you are in trouble at work, the unions will deal with the problem for you.

I am aware that many gringos work for room and board in hostels but that won't interest the OP as he has to support his family.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 am

I don't think the OP is looking for European like working conditions either as far as hours and benefits. He said he'd take anything over selling peanuts again and wasn't expecting any kind of awesome job. I was just wondering if you had first hand experience of the harsh conditions, abuse and exploitation that you say comes with working illegally as a gringo in Peru? If not, what are you basing that comment upon? The OP mentioned he was up for hostel work and I related how my experiences working at hostels were anything but harsh, abusive, or exploitative, (quite the opposite in reality) as you suggested and were far better than what I can only imagine flipping burgers at McDonald's would be like in my home country.
keithr1138

Postby keithr1138 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:08 am

ironchefchris wrote:I can't speak to telemarketing work, but hostels are going to hire someone who walks in the door and asks for a job. If they're looking they might put out an online ad, but they're most likely expecting applicants to be ready to start very soon. For lower-level type of jobs ("I'll do any type of work") no one really hires someone who's currently half a world away. They have no idea if you'll actually show, or maybe they need someone to start tomorrow. A company looking to fill an upper level position might patiently look for the right person and consider someone from abroad.

Don't be discouraged by the negative talk. If you want to work you can always find something if you're willing to work at a hostel. It is correct that you shouldn't have expectations of making much money. Usually hostel jobs are filled by young, single, backpacking, travelers; not people looking to support a family. Hopefully you're in a position where you're just looking to supplement and not looking for a main source of income. Good luck.

thanks chris for the advice. yeah just supplementing so i can spread my savings out.. i feel that with just being persistent i'll be sure to find something, hopefully with enough hours to keep me busy.
keithr1138

Postby keithr1138 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 am

captcosmic wrote:
keithr1138 wrote:Where im from its a bit offensive to tell someone they're better to live off welfare. No rent either as we own our own house. I dont care about how much i can make, because chamba es chamba and i'll take anything over selling peanuts again.

What kind of skills, education or abilities do you have. You seem to have the drive and desire down pat.

unfortunately im without any expierience in the options available to me in lima as im young and all ive ever worked has been construction, i did get to take an electrical installations course in the UNI there in lima and am a certified welder, and im fully bilingual as my fiance who ive been with the last three years speaks no english. im fairly certain i will be able to find something and if given the opportunity im able to make a good name for myself wherever i go with just being a hardworker, i got a good head on my shoulders when it comes to learning new things, i wish i could find something more engaging, more challenging though to better myself and learn something, as im really looking to make a career in lima.. of course with time
barry james

Postby barry james » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Keith,

Please send an email to [email protected]
hennekea
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hennekea » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:26 pm

You don't need legal paperwork to get a job. Only to get a job at an official company. But you can always teach English informally for the short term. That spousal paperwork takes a couple of months. Telemarketing is really underpaid here, and overworked, but you teaching English pays better. Just so you have decent grammar and some capability with teaching. But yeah, no one's going to take you too seriously until you get here. Good luck!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:18 am

keithr1138 wrote:i did get to take an electrical installations course in the UNI there in lima and am a certified welder

I you are a welder then you can make good money in Peru.

All homes need metal bars in front of the window.

Welders are very busy. When I got metal bars installed at my home, I had to wait 10 weeks before a welder was available. They have loads of work.

Return to “Jobs in Peru”

Login  •  Register