LAN now charging all NON-RESIDENTS a $178.50 fee

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!

Do you have a problem with the additional $178.50 extranjero fee for all domestic tickets with Lan Peru?

Yes
77%
No
20%
It Depends
3%

Total votes: 60
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

LAN now charging all NON-RESIDENTS a $178.50 fee

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 am

I know this belongs in travel or news, but this will affect many of us drastically.

It is new, it applies to all tickets purchased September 1 or later, most fares will not include this new fee and you will need to be prepared to pay it at the airport.

PromPeru is already flooded with calls from tourists who got tickets then were asked for an extra $178.50 at the airport that they were not told about when they purchased the tickets.

I am calling the ministery of transporte and PromPeru to register my objection to this absurdity, as well as writing Lan.

This is not a fuel charge for international flights, this applies to all domestic flights within Peru unless you are a Peruvian citizen or meet certain residency requirements. It is printed on their website in small print AFTER you make your reservation and before you pay..but not clearly.

Many of the people complaining at PromPeru actually got their tickets from Lan offices in Peru and were not told.

I hope the government comes down, and comes down hard on Lan for this fiasco.

La Tarifa Base de Cabina Económica es válida sólo para residentes en el Perú. En caso de que no acredite la residencia en el Perú, LAN le podrá negar el embarque o aplicar -previo al mismo- un cargo adicional de US$ 178.50.

And then when you click on the link where it says to click for a full description of what constitutes residency, you get this:

Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/compra/\"/condiciones/tarifas_solo_residentespe.html\" was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.lan.com Port 50081

american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 am

Americorps - I assume that "residency" is just that. Legal residency.

A person with a tourist visa is not a resident even if they live and work here illegally no matter what way they want to spin it. That is another issue all by itself.

Personally, I think the fee is absurd, as I would rather have the tourist in Peru spend that $178 on other things like tourism and the little guy who owns the restaurant, souvenir shop or at a hotel. That will do much more in terms of the economy instead of giving it to Lan.

I am a Peruvian citizen, so the fee won't apply to me, but I might just fly Star Peru inside of Peru just to quietly voice my objection to their ridiculous policy change.

I would bet that they will change that policy quite soon. Doesn't seem like a popular thing.

Interestingly enough, speaking of Lan. My parents when they came to visit me in January 2009, had purchased tickets from the Lan Website in English in USD for Lima - Cuzco-Lima. My father paid per ticket for himself and my mother, $350. I bought the exact same flights from Lan Peru in Spanish on the Peruvian website and paid S/. 350 soles.

After realizing the discrepancy, my father complained and nothing happened until I stepped in and complained about the abuse to Lan here in Lima. They reimbursed him the difference.

Not sure if that still happens today.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am

Yes, they have always had different prices on the English website and the Spanish one. That still applies.

I assume you are right about residency, but the link is dead and that does not look good for Lan.

I am really angry as I have family coming to visit next month. I have decided to make an issue of this so I have spoken with IPeru, the ministry of transportation, Endicopi and the Commercio.

IPeru was sympathetic but said there was no power for them to do anything and suggested I call the ministry of transportation who said they have no power to do anything and to call endicopi who in turn suggested I contact IPeru or the ministry of transportation.

I took all their names and numbers as well as the contact info for the Person I spoke with from Lan Peru who told me this was a populist move to assure Peruvians access to seats.

I gave all that contact info to the reporter from the Commercio who told me he is calling them right now for statements. I will let you know if it actually goes to press.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:50 am

Go get them Americorps!!! If you speak to them, bring up the price difference in English and Spanish. That is as abusive as the $178 fee.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 pm

The other side to this coin maybe that the other airlines could start a similar surcharge!!!!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:50 pm

El Commercio called, they will be here in half an hour to interview me
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 pm

I've contacted several US news sources and Tom Parsons at Best Fares.

Got get 'em Kevin!

jamie
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 pm

This is seriously absurd.

Super expensive tickets or surprise surcharges at the ticket counter aren't exactly going to do great things for tourism. I'm going to Iquitos with friends in October and if they book using the US version of the Lan site the ticket price is $454 round trip, versus $128 for Peruvian residents. I paid less that that for a SFO to LIM round trip on TACA!

This, along with the increased price gouging around Cusco in the last couple of years, means that tourists should seriously think about spending their time in Ecuador or Bolivia instead.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Hmmm, just curious...

the 2 people that say they do not have a problem with this..do they mean because it does not apply to them..or do they mean that it does not bother them?
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:15 pm

jude wrote:This is seriously absurd.

Super expensive tickets or surprise surcharges at the ticket counter aren't exactly going to do great things for tourism. I'm going to Iquitos with friends in October and if they book using the US version of the Lan site the ticket price is $454 round trip, versus $128 for Peruvian residents. I paid less that that for a SFO to LIM round trip on TACA!

This, along with the increased price gouging around Cusco in the last couple of years, means that tourists should seriously think about spending their time in Ecuador or Bolivia instead.

Jude - Just use Star Peru.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I made this a temporary sticky....

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:47 pm

News is spreading, RPP radio just called me and asked if they can interview me
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I hope it gets picked up outside of Peru. I am curious to know if Peruvians will shrug this off because "wealthy foreigners" are subsidizing their travel prices.

I can see the future scare tactics. The airlines can claim if they do not do this, Peruvians will have to pay more in ticket prices. The response, "let the gringos pay more."

Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:00 pm

I just bought some tickets for some friends to visit cusco and the lan price was $180 less than everyone else..... So you add the surcharge they are the same as everyone else... But if it is just some sales tatic its cant be legal...
Good Luck Americorps.
cusco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cusco » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up. This is ridiculous! This could really damage tourism when people show up and have to pay an extra 178.50 to Lan. Do those of us with carnets de extranjeria pass as residents?
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Unfortunately, LAN holds a monopoly on many routes. Despegar.com and traficoperu.com are still selling tickets at the base rate with apparently no notification that foreign travelers will be denied boarding; I imagine there are going to be lots of seriously annoyed tourists out there. LAN has at least posted a semi-prominent warning text on their homepage. For now, the base plus fares are available to everybody and still usually about $25 more than the base fares, so round trip flights end up $50 more than they should be rather than $180 over.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm

I just looked and if you book "in spanish" there is fine print about "for Peru residents only".

If you book in English, they list nothing at all.

Basically, if you book in English, they just include the high fee. Assuming you are a foreigner. If you hire an agent, or book directly with Lan in Peru, they can sell you a ticket at the Peruvian price, you show up at the airport and they slam you with the "foreigner fee."

cusco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cusco » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 pm

What does Lan have against us trying to save some money for our family? For the past 4 years I have been booking tickets from the Peruvian site for my family because the English site was a rip off. Wouldn't this be considered some sort of "discrimination" anywhere else?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:42 pm

The director of customer service of Lan, Roberto Delaguila just spoke with me and tried to tell me that this is all a misunderstanding.

They are offering a special promotion, a discount for Peruvians and nothing more.

I told him Malarky as there are people being turned away from the airports who have paid tickets in their hands (or forced to pay the gringo fee) and that Prom Peru would not have dozens of complaints if that were the case.

And no where is there announced any promotion for Peruvians, only the small letters with the notice.

Interesting enough, the letters were small in blue this morning when I took a screenshot, now they are larger and in pinkish red.

Mr. Delaguila tried to tell me they were in big, red all week, but that is simply not true. I told him I had a screenshot but he kept insisting that it was always in bigger red letters.

It is that general Peruvian press release thing..never admit anything wrong no matter what evidence exists.

I sent him a link to this conversation and invited him to respond.
LauraMH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thankful and Concerned

Postby LauraMH » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm thankful that you have the time and ability to make this known. I am just now reading this in shock. I too have purchased many tickets for family and friends. They otherwise would not have been able to come here. It would have tripled the cost of their trip as I live in the south and only a 17 hr bus ride is the option. They wouldn't have come otherwise and I'm sure it's that way for many others. That is a huge price amount. More the double the cost of some flights. It's insane in a time where the US is in a serious recession and tourism is down.

If there is something I can do to support or help. I am happy to make calls or complain or whatever. I don't have my carnet yet (should be here in a month). I have to go to Lima to get it. So with this new plan this means that the flight I was going to book in a couple of weeks I can't, because I refuse to pay that much for the flight. So now I have 2 17 hr bus rides ahead of me.........to pick up my resident visa/carnet. What crap.

I would like a clarification of what a resident is as well. Thanks! Animo!
Live, Love, Laugh
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:18 pm

I had a group of family coming in October to see Machu Picchu.

Not any more!

Thanks LAN.

What other airline can I use for cuzco?

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 pm

If the guy from LAN would call me, I would say, "I am going to tell everyone I know how once again Chile is attempting to EXPLOIT Peruvian resources. This time, tourism."

BAM!

jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Star Peru and TACA both fly to Cusco. They only have two or three flights a day, so are less convenient than LAN. But given the pricing change it's Star Peru all the way. Maybe they could take advantage of this idiocy by LAN and expand.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

jude wrote:Star Peru and TACA both fly to Cusco. They only have two or three flights a day, so are less convenient than LAN. But given the pricing change it's Star Peru all the way. Maybe they could take advantage of this idiocy by LAN and expand.

I'd pay DOUBLE the fare of LAN now, just to spite them on another airline.

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

We flew Star Peru to Cuzco from Lima, and they were great.

If you live in Florida, you can get substantial discounts to the theme parks for being a Florida resident. How is this different?
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Americorps wrote:News is spreading, RPP radio just called me and asked if they can interview me

cajun jamie wrote:I've contacted several US news sources and Tom Parsons at Best Fares.

Got get 'em Kevin!

jamie

Good luck, hope it works, or at laest hope tourists are notifiied of the new fees ahead of time. I'll have to say my biggest problem with LAN is the fee system. If you book in Peru or on the Peru site you get a special fee. Maybe they're trying to promote Peruvians to travel, but there's got to be a fairer way to do it. Like ALL national flights go on sale, or special fares to certain cities,like what AA does.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 pm

naturegirl wrote:
Americorps wrote:News is spreading, RPP radio just called me and asked if they can interview me

cajun jamie wrote:I've contacted several US news sources and Tom Parsons at Best Fares.

Got get 'em Kevin!

jamie

Good luck, hope it works, or at laest hope tourists are notifiied of the new fees ahead of time. I'll have to say my biggest problem with LAN is the fee system. If you book in Peru or on the Peru site you get a special fee. Maybe they're trying to promote Peruvians to travel, but there's got to be a fairer way to do it. Like ALL national flights go on sale, or special fares to certain cities,like what AA does.

LAN just has a double standard. They know foreigners spend thousands of $$ to visit Peru and Machu Picchu so they want to charge them one price, and at the same time, charge Peruvians another price.

Now they are busted.

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 pm

I am seeing Twitter and Facebook light up with people saying, "Do NOT book LAN airlines in Peru!"

yes!

Roberto Delaguila -- his name is now on the Internet.

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I am receiving e-mails and receiving reports that expats are telling others and they are telling them to NOT book with LAN.

I am very happy.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Kelly,

I would not have a problem with this if they clearly marked a special for Peruvians, but that is NOT what happens.

We pay more for Machu Pichu, I think that is fine, it is Peruvian Patrimony.

We can not ride the certain trains to Machu Pichu, that is fine, it is subsidized by Peruvian tax dollars to make Machu PIchu more accessable.

That MAY have been the thought behind this, but there are too many differences that makes this a fiasco.

1. It is not subsidized by the government
2. A $184.50 gringo fee it outragously high, and only makes pure profit for Lan
3. Lan is not only allowing sales of tickets on other websites who do not carry this notification, but they are even selling it in their own offices without notification and only have minimal notification on the website in small letters only after you make your reservation

They are blatent ugly liars to pretend this is a promotion to support Peru, it is clearly a gringo fleecing and should be illegal.
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Kevin/ Americorps ,

Great job.. I would like to buy you a drink when I am in Lima next. My hat goes off too you and thank you for time and effort to fight this rip off.

Jeff / singlefather no more

anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Americorps, thanks for raising your voice against it. Maybe we can start a petition ?
Traveller1970
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Traveller1970 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 am

I know I won't fly LAN (national nor international) anymore... I guess other airlines, especially during this economical crisis, do appreciate my money... (I'll even go by bus if I have too :( ). Where can I cancel my Lanpass frequent flyer account?
PJ Hundley

Not a surcharge

Postby PJ Hundley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 am

This $178.50 is not a surcharge, it is a fine. If you purchase a ticket that is a "Promotional Fare) Classes O, Q, N or S and do not have a DNI or a Carné de Extranjería (legal residency) you will be charged the $178.50 at the time you check in or you will not be allowed to board. Also, the issuing agency will be fined $35.70.
You can still get lower fares by purchasing tickets in-country than from the LAN website, but beware of getting those promotional fares.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Not a surcharge

Postby cajun jamie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:41 am

PJ Hundley wrote:This $178.50 is not a surcharge, it is a fine. If you purchase a ticket that is a "Promotional Fare) Classes O, Q, N or S and do not have a DNI or a Carné de Extranjería (legal residency) you will be charged the $178.50 at the time you check in or you will not be allowed to board. Also, the issuing agency will be fined $35.70.
You can still get lower fares by purchasing tickets in-country than from the LAN website, but beware of getting those promotional fares.

That is pure BS. It is definitely a surcharge, that LAN passes to foreigners to provide cheaper fare for nationals. $50 round-trip to Arequipa from Lima is not possible for nationals unless they charge foreigners more to subsidize this.

If it is a fine, what was the penalty? "Being a Foreigner?????"

That is the point, there should be NO difference in the price of tickets for foreigners or nationals.

TICKETS SHOULD NEVER BE ISSUED TO ANY CUSTOMER UNLESS THEY MEET THE REQUIREMENTS IN ADVANCE. NEVER SHOULD ONE HAVE TO PAY A FINE AT AN AIRPORT! IF A PASSENGER ARRIVES WITH A TICKET, THAT PASSENGER TRAVELS, NO EXCEPTIONS.

LAN got busted doing something very bad. The Devil is setting a place at the dinner table in Hell. LAN is going to sit right beside Telefonica.

Just a thought . . .

new rule

Postby Just a thought . . . » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:18 am

I just "booked" a flight on Lan's Peruvian site. The aforementioned "disclaimer" is now prominently displayed on the page with all available fares, after the flight of your choice is selected. The link explaining the new regulation is also active and clearly states what constitutes residency as well as the possible consequences for those who purchase tickets meant for residents only. It goes on to suggest to those who are not residents of Peru to visit the LAN site of their resident country and purchase tickets from that site.

As for the new pricing, it is my understanding that just a few years back, prior to Garcia's presidency, LAN prices were the same for everybody. I have heard that Garcia's administration encouraged LAN to lower prices for locals in order to encourage more in-country travel for both business and pleasure.

Garcia's involvement is irrelevant- this discrepancy has existed for years. Only now has it become a regulation. However, it has been headed this way for a while. When I first moved to Peru I could easily purchase in-country flights on the LAN site with my U.S. issued bank or credit card. A couple years ago they changed this, allowing only Peruvian issued credits to be accepted on LAN's Peruvian site. No problem- I simply began using our travel agent and tourists could do the same once in country. Now, LAN has closed this door.

As for whether or not it's fair- sure it is. It's business. Is it fair for a restaurant to charge $1.99 for a kid's meal, but only with the purchase of an adult entree? Is it fair, as one poster mentioned, for Florida residents to receive discounts at theme parks simply because they live in the state of the parks? Is it fair for employees of McDonalds or Starbucks in Aspen to ski free while the rest of us pay $120 (just guessing) a day for a lift ticket?

Chile has been charging foreigners a "fee" or "tax" to enter their country for some time now, and doing it by surprise. Two years ago, my in-laws (residents of Peru for 16 years) flew to Argentina from Peru. Their first stop was in Chile, and when they landed they were surprised by being charged to enter the country, which amounted to an unexpected few hundred dollars. So, complaining to LAN that Chile is taking advantage of Peru's resources is a moot point- Chile is taking advantage of everyone.

I understand and am equally frustrated with the manner in which LAN Peru has chosen to operate regarding this issue. I have no doubt they attempted to sneak this change in and that they have wronged many people in the process. As far as I'm concerned, that's the Peruvian way of doing business, and for many, their way of life. However, it seems they have done the honorable thing and made clear this new rule. As such, we all simply have a choice to make- fly someone else, take buses (which aren't that bad), or suck it up.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: new rule

Postby cajun jamie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:30 am

Just a thought . . . wrote: However, it seems they have done the honorable thing and made clear this new rule. As such, we all simply have a choice to make- fly someone else, take buses (which aren't that bad), or suck it up.

I am seeing a lot of first-time posters here. This leads to skepticism.

Secondly, LAN has done nothing honorable. "OOPs, I stole some money, I admit it now." Very honorable.

Thirdly, no, we don't simply have to "suck it up or fly someone else." CONSUMERS run business, not the companies.

OUR CHOICE is to not back down until LAN changes its business to match what we, the consumer want.

We get it our way, or they get it NO way!

Oh, and it IS working. I am getting e-mail after e-mail from friends in the US, changing travel plans. The university I was with back in Texas was planning a large trip through Chile to Argentina on LAN.

NOT ANY MORE! :D

Just a thought . . .

Postby Just a thought . . . » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:51 am

First, I'm not a first-time poster, but rather someone who has not posted in many years as I am not a fan of the site and, as such, signed up for a new account so I could reply to this topic.

Second, LAN did do the honorable thing by changing their website. They have not admitted to anything, stealing or otherwise.

Third, sucking it up was an option, the last of three I offered. The first two fall in line with exactly what you and your friends are doing- using other services. At least you had the decency to show my quote before changing my words.

I applaud your efforts and the zeal with which you are fighting LAN on this. If successful, many will a great deal of gratitude to you.

Best of luck, and incidentally, I appreciate this thread and the info it has provided as we have a few folks arriving Monday and we host several groups every year and this will certainly affect us.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:54 am

Just a thought . . . wrote:

Second, LAN did do the honorable thing by changing their website. They have not admitted to anything, stealing or otherwise.

OK, please help me out here. Please show me where, on the USA English site, does it clearly state after selecting Peru as a travel itinerary: "If you are a Peruvian resident, you are entitled to cheaper fares. Please click on this link for other pricing."

That is all I want to see, in English, LAN clearly state there are cheaper fares for Peruvian residents.

Or, just add another column, on the English page, with the cheaper fare and label it "Peru Residents Only".

Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 am

The louder we scream, the more people will hear and take notice.
We should get this info out to Expedia, Travelocity, Tripadvisor ect...and let a larger consumer base know what they are getting into when they book with LAN. Maybe even contact hotels and let their concierge staff know what is happening as well.

The more information people have, the better the choices they can make. In the end it is, as always, Buyer Beware!!!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Ron wrote:The louder we scream, the more people will hear and take notice.
We should get this info out to Expedia, Travelocity, Tripadvisor ect...and let a larger consumer base know what they are getting into when they book with LAN. Maybe even contact hotels and let their concierge staff know what is happening as well.

The more information people have, the better the choices they can make. In the end it is, as always, Buyer Beware!!!

We are! I have friends at Fox News, friends at Best Fares, friends blogging, twittering and gathering information. But, more people need to chime in. It is really getting attention back in the US. I can't wait for it to blow!

cwcdavid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Not a surcharge

Postby cwcdavid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

PJ Hundley wrote:This $178.50 is not a surcharge, it is a fine. If you purchase a ticket that is a "Promotional Fare) Classes O, Q, N or S and do not have a DNI or a Carné de Extranjería (legal residency) you will be charged the $178.50 at the time you check in or you will not be allowed to board. Also, the issuing agency will be fined $35.70.

But **if** it was a non-essential trip and you paid with a credit card you can then probably do a chargeback on your foreign credit card since the service you paid for is refused. Certainly for UK issued cc, UK consumer protection law applies since the cc company is charging the consumer.

Any of you hard-core-camapigners want to try? Video the negociation and put it on youtube :) .. better still get the press there to watch.

In real life of course most people don't arrive at an airport being OK about just not travellling.

Anyway someone posted that there is a notice in red defining what is a resident. What was the definition?

Over here in asia a LIM-Cusco one way costs 238 $ on the spanish site of lanperu with no red notices or alternate offers for peruvian citizens, 'resiidents', carnet-holders, apartment-owners, apartment-renters, telefonica o-telmex customers or however else they define it ... so seems they add the surcharge upfront due to foreign IP.
cwcdavid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cwcdavid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Just a thought . . . wrote:Garcia's involvement is irrelevant- this discrepancy has existed for years. Only now has it become a regulation. However, it has been headed this way for a while. When I first moved to Peru I could easily purchase in-country flights on the LAN site with my U.S. issued bank or credit card. A couple years ago they changed this, allowing only Peruvian issued credits to be accepted on LAN's Peruvian site. No problem- I simply began using our travel agent and tourists could do the same once in country. Now, LAN has closed this door.

Not sure what the problem was but I booked online with LAN last year for Lima-Tacna with a UK cc so it wasn't a blanket ban on all non-Peruvian cc.s or it was temporary.

Am also curious when this charge is made since check in was by machine which issues a boarding pass. Do they then demand the money at the gate or do LAN have staff checking people at the departure-tax counters?

Just a thought . . . wrote:Chile has been charging foreigners a "fee" or "tax" to enter their country for some time now, and doing it by surprise. Two years ago, my in-laws (residents of Peru for 16 years) flew to Argentina from Peru. Their first stop was in Chile, and when they landed they were surprised by being charged to enter the country, which amounted to an unexpected few hundred dollars. So, complaining to LAN that Chile is taking advantage of Peru's resources is a moot point- Chile is taking advantage of everyone.

Again last year no fee for me. UK passport, crossed at land border, Tacna.
is it only an airport fee? Would quite like to know this as I was planning to book a flight-trip to Chile for next spring since I will arrive on a one way ticket in Peru - and anyway I'd like a trip to Chile. :D Hundreds being demanded at the border unexpectedly makes me like the plan less. Could you give some details please?

Also no mention here:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and ... ments&pg=4

Have to admit I also feel that your posts make you sound a little like someone from LAN wanting to defend the inexcusable. A little Chile bashing along the way is just too Peruvian. :lol: .... ?

Would be happy to hear you reply to these questions and prove me wrong though. ... So assuming the best, welcome to the forum. 8)
luna chica
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby luna chica » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:59 pm

I have flown LAN domestically and internationally several times. That will no longer happen. I was planning to book LAN international flights to Australia. That will no longer happen. They can miss out on my $5000 and I'll go with the opposition.

Not only because of the abusive pricing policy, but because they do not have the strength of character to admit to their policy.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I just looked at Lan website. They state quite clear now that ´tarifa base´ is for Peruvian residents (DNI or CE) only. However, there are 3 other tarifas, that are ok for everyone. For Lima -Chiclayo flight, difference in price between base and base plus is $25 each way for dates I looked. $178 is a fine for booking tarifa base and not being a resident of Peru. Base plus also allows changes and gives 100% frequent flyer points, unlike the base one. Depending on how to value this, one might consider buying base plus even if the cheaper one, base, was for everyone. Although for other destinations, price difference can be higher or lower.

Looks like the government is trying to promote internal tourism, and I hear next February the whole lot of gov emploees get a forced holiday, so they probably pushed Lan to give discount to locals a few months before that.

cwcdavid wrote:
is it only an airport fee? Would quite like to know this as I was planning to book a flight-trip to Chile for next spring since I will arrive on a one way ticket in Peru - and anyway I'd like a trip to Chile. :D Hundreds being demanded at the border unexpectedly makes me like the plan less

Last time I was there, they charged 3 passport holders only: US, Canada, Australia. If I remember correct, $100 US, $50 Canada, $30 Australia. This is reciprocal measure, that´s exactly how much those countries charge Chileans for issue of a tourist visa. Now if nothing has changed, and if UK consulate in Santiago doesn´t charge Chileans a fee for visa (I believe that might be the case), it should be free for you. Given the high number of Chileans of British descent over there, I think the relations between Chile and UK should be pretty good and no fees involved in visas.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:01 pm

LAN is having a laugh. The joke will be on them if this continues to get attention from the media and travelers. I'm certainly boycotting them, and will use any influence I have to encourage others to do the same.

As part of my job I advise students traveling to Peru during the summer on study tours. We're talking 70+ students. For next year I'm rewriting the pre-trip information advising them against using LAN for any flights, national or international.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Americorps wrote:El Commercio called, they will be here in half an hour to interview me

Kevin:

Any idea on when they will run the story?
Just a thought . . .

Postby Just a thought . . . » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:28 pm

cajun jamie wrote:
Just a thought . . . wrote:

OK, please help me out here. Please show me where, on the USA English site, does it clearly state after selecting Peru as a travel itinerary: "If you are a Peruvian resident, you are entitled to cheaper fares. Please click on this link for other pricing."

That is all I want to see, in English, LAN clearly state there are cheaper fares for Peruvian residents.

Or, just add another column, on the English page, with the cheaper fare and label it "Peru Residents Only".

I just don't see the point in informing people of discounts for which they are not eligible, unless you feel there is a large proportion of Peruvians shopping the English website? Peruvians who shop the Peruvian website are aware of this, and as a result they are given some additional pride in being Peruvian as this comes to them as a benefit.

I visited Disneyworld.com to check on prices and available discounts. On the English home page there is a link at the bottom for Florida Resident Discounts. When I changed the page to the Latin-American version in Spanish, this link did not exist. Is Disney, then, being unfair by not disclosing to its patrons who are likely not eligible for this discount that this discount exists? It seems to me discounts such as these would merit much more attention. After all, if you live in Florida why do you need a discount for admission to the parks? You're already saving $ on travel, and possibly, other expenses.

Still, if you're just looking for this information to be made public and upfront across the board, well, you'll probably get what you're after. Once you do, will you continue to recommend others fly LAN?

One other question- why does this need to be stated only on the English version? After all, when purchasing a ticket from AQP-Lima on the Argentinian, Colombian, or Spanish version of lan.com this information is "missing" and the lower prices available to Peruvians are not offered. Seems LanPeru is discriminatory against everyone equally. . . wait, is that still discrimination, or is it simply preferential treatment?
Last edited by Just a thought . . . on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:36 pm

In the interest of being fair they should do away with the promotional fares (to avoid confusion) and Tax foreigners 19% on hotel rooms like they have been doing to Peruvians all along!
Just a thought . . .

Postby Just a thought . . . » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Not sure what the problem was but I booked online with LAN last year for Lima-Tacna with a UK cc so it wasn't a blanket ban on all non-Peruvian cc.s or it was temporary.

I'm not sure, either. I only know it happened to myself, my in-law's, and another American friend, all of whom live in Peru. However, today I tried again and was directed to VPOS, a system they now seem to be using as a third-party biller. As I didn't go through with the purchase I cannot say whether or not it would have worked, but I assume it would.

is it only an airport fee? Would quite like to know this as I was planning to book a flight-trip to Chile for next spring since I will arrive on a one way ticket in Peru - and anyway I'd like a trip to Chile. :D Hundreds being demanded at the border unexpectedly makes me like the plan less. Could you give some details please?

Also no mention here:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and ... ments&pg=4

Sorry, I forgot to mention this charge is only by air (possibly by sea. . .not sure). I cross the land border into Arica with some regularity and have never faced this issue. After reading the posting of another regarding this I do now recall that this fee is based on reciprocity. . .

Have to admit I also feel that your posts make you sound a little like someone from LAN wanting to defend the inexcusable. A little Chile bashing along the way is just too Peruvian. :lol: .... ?

Would be happy to hear you reply to these questions and prove me wrong though. ... So assuming the best, welcome to the forum.

You lost me at the end- not sure what I'm to prove you wrong about - but if you think I sound like a LAN rep you should hear me talk about Microsoft . . . :)

I still don't see what LAN did as inexcusable- shady, no doubt, as certainly LAN could implement an automated system that flagged any ID used to purchase airfare that was not Peruvian and notify the purchaser immediately of the difference in rate rather than waiting for them to show up at the airport. And, yes, if it had happened to me I certainly would have been shouting from the mountaintops about the injustice!!

As for the bashing, I remain confused. I was bashing both Peru, with references to the Peruvian way of doing things, as well as Chile for 1) owning LAN, and 2) charging foreigners (select, though it may be) to enter their country. But hey, whatever, and thanks for the welcome, though I've heard from former members I may not be welcome for long . . .

8)[/quote]

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register