Post your items for sale here. Use a clear, descriptive subject line, and please consult our "Rules and Advice" before agreeing to meet a buyer or a seller. Take precautions.
WilliamJamesMTD

Postby WilliamJamesMTD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Last edited by WilliamJamesMTD on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Do you like Antiques?

Postby caliguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:40 am

WilliamJamesMTD wrote:If you are an antique collector and don't like the prices you see at Miraflores La Paz shops , i have been living in Peru for many years now , and have made antiques a small buisiness of mine , if you're interested in any particular kind of antique , i might be able to find it for you , just let me know what you're looking for...
write to me at [email protected]
Thnx!
William James

Hi William,

do you have a collection of your own antiques? if so, what do you collect? i like antiques as well :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
WilliamJamesMTD

Postby WilliamJamesMTD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I had a store in miraflores about 1 year ago and it got robbed , so no , right now i dont have any which depressed me a lot , but i know where to get them at good prices , what kind of antiques do you collect? what i could offer you is my service of taking you to the places i know , very underground , im pretty sure u dont know off , where they know me , and i they dont treat me as a a gringo as i speak perfect spansish , maybe like a charge per day?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 am

My wife & I will be looking for a few "unique" pieces; once we decide on where to buy a home.

I would be interested - right now, about an old telephone; varieties & prices.
Please keep us in mind...

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am

WilliamJamesMTD wrote:I had a store in miraflores about 1 year ago and it got robbed , so no , right now i dont have any which depressed me a lot , but i know where to get them at good prices , what kind of antiques do you collect? what i could offer you is my service of taking you to the places i know , very underground , im pretty sure u dont know off , where they know me , and i they dont treat me as a a gringo as i speak perfect spansish , maybe like a charge per day?

hi William,
I do not have any antiques here in Peru, but do in the states. what types of antiques can be found in Peru? are there just Peruvian antiques? I kind of lean toward old toys, but all types are of interest to me.
Thank you
WilliamJamesMTD

Postby WilliamJamesMTD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Basically i can get you just about anything you need , i dont have in stock much , but i know many places and other antique dealers since years back that can supply me with what you're looking for , there is also a place called Tacora , which i seriouly DONT suggest you go yourself as you could easily get robbed and if you dont prices will be 10x more expensive , i know the local sales people there , its quite dirty , much like a flee market , but with tons of trash on the floor , smell of urine , and dangerous people but the things you can find are amazing and amazing prices too if you know how to deal with them and have good luck.
You can get anything you need , from Peruvian items up to European pieces etc...
Last edited by WilliamJamesMTD on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

The only antique places I know are in Monterrico, and pretty much everything is prohibitively expensive, even when in bad condition. I think these people who go after key things, post them online and sell them in seconds offer a really good service, it would be great to see and expat antiques expert do something similar.

Personally and probably like most people who don't have space, I'd be interested in decorative pieces - from signs to old telephones or record players etc.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm

WilliamJamesMTD wrote:Basically i can get you just about anything you need , i dont have in stock much , but i know many places and other antique dealers since years back that can supply me with what you're looking for , there is also a place called Tacora , which i seriouly DONT suggest you go yourself as you could easily get robbed and if you dont prices will be 10x more expensive , i know the local sales people there , its quite dirty , much like a flee market , but with tons of trash on the floor , smell of urine , and dangerous people but the things you can find are amazing and amazing prices too if you know how to deal with them and have good luck.
You can get anything you need , from Peruvian items up to European pieces etc...
my phone number if you wish to talk to me further is
Thnx
William James

Your description of the place just begs the question, who does the stuff really belong to?
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm

panman wrote:Your description of the place just begs the question, who does the stuff really belong to?

I'm pretty sure it would have belonged to old people who's kids demolished their house immediately after they passed away and paid some guy S/.5 to get rid of all the "junk" inside. I've seen that before here. Suggest to a Peruvian that they should carefully take up the 1850s tiles in the hallway to reuse them and they look at you like you're insane.
WilliamJamesMTD

Postby WilliamJamesMTD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 pm

To reply to you question Panman , i dont know if you have noticed these guys in cart wheels like on a tricicle with space to put stuff... they basically go from home to home buying stuff people throw away when they move , when people die , when people want to clean up their house , and they pass on from hand to hand , these people are called 'Cachineros' , they go to these 2nd hand markets and sell them to resellers that sell on the floor where people like me go to buy them to resell them to customers like you , or sell them in Monterrico or San isidro or Miraflores La paz at exorbitant prices.

I would be offering two services , taking you to this place , making sure you dont get robbed , i.e. taking you throu the right places not the wrong ones , i know where most of the sellers are and they know me too , getting a good price instead of these outrageous prices , and we could set up some kind of an agreement for my service.
Its far away from the tipical miraflores areas , a taxi would cost you from san isidro 20 soles going and 20 soles back , but i know how to use buses or the metro so that you would pay like 5 soles comming and well depending on what you buy 5 soles comming back. I speak perfect Spanish and know how to deal with these '2nd hand dealer Cachineros' ive done this buying and selling 2nd hand items and then specialized into antiques since im about 17 years old and im now 30 years of age , plus i know whats a good time to go , how to go dress to avoid looking TOO gringo and getting the prices up. You can get ANything you want , sundays is the best day. but week days are good too , this place is there every week day , sundays many known sellers come with new items but weeks days is when you find what i call items that you stike lucky with , for example i can find among old cloths and broken celulars and old crappy toys an Agfa camera for 10 soles. Its all luck and having a good eye. If you guys are interested , call me to 981335496 or send me a PM with your number and i will call you and we can try one day to go and check it out.

Tacora isnt the only place to go to , in surquillo there is a another smaller place that has a whole street filled with antiques at cheap prices but you have to be lucky and they know me from years there too , but you wont get such great oportunities... i payed 80 soles for a 1800's chinease original drum hand painited with gold , but i was lucky because i found it 2 hours after i had just been bought.
WilliamJamesMTD

Postby WilliamJamesMTD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Question to all , Sbaustin suggested i made a small website for antiques... i already had done that , i have a facebook book site. group per say http://www.facebook.com/groups/300552516666965/ if you have fb and wish to join just join , if i see people joining and posting what they want me to find , ill restart my online antiques small items sales website :)
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 pm

WilliamJamesMTD wrote:Question to all , Sbaustin suggested i made a small website for antiques... i already had done that , i have a facebook book site. group per say http://www.facebook.com/groups/300552516666965/ if you have fb and wish to join just join , if i see people joining and posting what they want me to find , ill restart my online antiques small items sales website :)

lol! how did you get those pigeons to roost on your shoulders like that on fb :D
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 am

Mr. James was in Surquillo yesterday & he called me.
He took me to many places here; I never knew existed & these people knew him as an expert buyer.
I purchased two (2) items that he negotiated a significant discount for me (gringo); I would RECOMMEND!!!

Philip :roll:

Return to “Buy & Sell”

Login  •  Register