Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am

Rene wrote:
scott wrote:Excellent, one less contrarian to clutter the streets of Peru.

Hmmm, you make such a personal attack while you get all upset about a personal remark from Wine Lover. (which he respectfully removed). Says a lot about what kind of person you are...

Although I take the term "contrarian" as a compliment assuming it means that I'm an independent thinker...

Instead of making such remarks maybe you could start answering some of the questions I left behind for you...


No, I was thinking contrarian along the lines of you are trying to present the perception of independent thought, but failing...

I think Kelly took care of answering your questions, by all means... let me try as well.

The murder would have taken place on Sunday morning, but the body wasn't found until Tuesday! Nobody cleans in that hotel?


He asked not to be disturbed. Most hotels will honor such requests. It is good customer service. When I traveled for work in Asia, I would have the hotel leave me a weeks worth of towels. They were instructed not to disturb me and only clean my room on Sundays as I worked 11pm to 7am(M-F) and cleaning service did not start until 9am.

And I guess we'll never find out the real cause of death. It is already multiple choice of the following options mentioned in the media:
a. blow to the head
b. broken neck
c. knife stabbing
d. shot


Now who is in a rush for judgement? Investigators do not usually release the exact cause of death while an investigation is underway. There will be weeks of waiting for toxicology reports and DNA testing as well.

There was a report on US news yesterday that Joran committed suicide, it was pulled after about 5 minutes. Press trying to scoop each other. The investigators have the facts. Press have sources, some more reliable than others.


Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 am

Rene wrote:
scott wrote:At what point did I ever state I do not support the rule of law?


scott wrote:I, like most of the world, think he got away with murder in Aruba. The category is news and VIEWS. I am expressing my view.

By not following the basic rule of law "innocent until proven guilty" (which you do with your opinion in the Holloway case) you already put the rule of law aside. It doesn't matter if that is "just an opinion". The only things that keep you from acting upon that opinion is that you're not a judge (thank God) nor a criminal yourself (I hope).


I would suggest to remove that post. You really do not want to go there with me.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby americorps » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:55 am

I would suggest to remove that post. You really do not want to go there with me.
8


Threats are for bullies.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby FHCZ » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:24 am

For those of you fearing that this young monster (I am not saying or implying he is guilty of this murder, but he is a monster) will not get a fair trial here in Peru, I am pleased to say, fear no more. He will get a fair trial since Peru is resorting to the International Court of Justice (at the Hague) to settle a maritime territorial dispute with Chile. For image sake, it is a of national interest that he get a fair trial.

Fausto
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: MIRAFLORES
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:40 pm

rgamarra wrote:I was surprised by how quick the Peruvian authorities were to point the finger at Joran for this girl's murder and I find it odd that Joran would know how to use the Tacna/Arica border to leave the country...It certainly makes one go "hmmm?"


Actually, the cab drivers who drove him there, after his picture was all over the news, told the police. At the time, there was no warrant for his capture.

Maybe on the first one with Holloway, he could have been innocent. But now twice? Guy will be found guilty. 5 years has gone by and I would not be surprised to hear about another murdered girl as well.

Him being guilty is pretty much logical and common sense.

1. Dead girl found in his hotel room. He left the hotel, but didn't say anything about the dead girl in his room?
2. Confession on tape about his Holloway experience. The fact that he did it once doesn't mean he will do it again, but it is pretty compelling. Same circumstances with how he met both of them.
3. Video surveillance of him with Flores at Hotel and Casino
4. Hotel clerk last saw them both entering the hotel room and admits to a "fight" between them
5. Joran gets a cab to Chile for S/. 1700? Expensive trip when you can just fly unless you are actually not able to because you did something wrong.

Call me an armchair CSI, but pretty common sense here folks.

I am not saying the guy doesn't have the right to a fair trial. He will have his time to defend himself. In the end though, he won't be seeing Dutch soil for a long time.
Regards,

George
User avatar
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby mammalu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Excellent points George, using logic and common sense. Thanks.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:05 pm

scott wrote:No, I was thinking contrarian along the lines of you are trying to present the perception of independent thought, but failing...

Then proof where I'm failing, where am I not independent?

scott wrote:I think Kelly took care of answering your questions, by all means... let me try as well.

I was actually referring to the many questions earlier in this thread. About why you and others are so obsessed with his cases and ignore all the others.
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:08 pm

americorps wrote:
I would suggest to remove that post. You really do not want to go there with me.
8


Threats are for bullies.

Indeed. Scott, what are you trying to say with this? It again lifts the veil a bit to reveal your true character...
User avatar
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby mammalu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:48 pm

FHCZ wrote:For those of you fearing that this young monster (I am not saying or implying he is guilty of this murder, but he is a monster) will not get a fair trial here in Peru, I am pleased to say, fear no more. He will get a fair trial since Peru is resorting to the International Court of Justice (at the Hague) to settle a maritime territorial dispute with Chile. For image sake, it is a of national interest that he get a fair trial.

Fausto


Everybody, let's take a deep breath and not make this personal (any more). The posters all are very passionate and decent people, with strong opinions and I respect Rene and Scott's point of view and Americorps, more than that as he is a real good person and friend. Let's Just remember that one life was lost (allegedly two lives) and one young man (so young, he could be my son) is due for what I sincerely hope is a Fair Trial.

Fausto, you are right, the image of Peru is very important and the way this young man is treated following the Rule of Law. The world is watching.

Regards

mammalu
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:59 pm

american_in_lima wrote:
rgamarra wrote:I was surprised by how quick the Peruvian authorities were to point the finger at Joran for this girl's murder and I find it odd that Joran would know how to use the Tacna/Arica border to leave the country...It certainly makes one go "hmmm?"


Actually, the cab drivers who drove him there, after his picture was all over the news, told the police. At the time, there was no warrant for his capture.

And why was his picture all over the news? And were those the cab drivers who stated that he couldn't speak Spanish at all? According to one of the news articles, the Chilean police has indicated that he made his statements in fluent Spanish. Who's telling the truth?

american_in_lima wrote:Maybe on the first one with Holloway, he could have been innocent. But now twice?
I can come up with several hypothesis. It's again up to the police to proof it.

american_in_lima wrote:5 years has gone by and I would not be surprised to hear about another murdered girl as well.
See, this is the danger of public opinion. You're already the second one here who's suggesting he is serial killer while the first case hasn't even been proven yet.

american_in_lima wrote:Him being guilty is pretty much logical and common sense.

1. Dead girl found in his hotel room. He left the hotel, but didn't say anything about the dead girl in his room?
2. Confession on tape about his Holloway experience. The fact that he did it once doesn't mean he will do it again, but it is pretty compelling. Same circumstances with how he met both of them.
3. Video surveillance of him with Flores at Hotel and Casino
4. Hotel clerk last saw them both entering the hotel room and admits to a "fight" between them
5. Joran gets a cab to Chile for S/. 1700? Expensive trip when you can just fly unless you are actually not able to because you did something wrong.

Call me an armchair CSI, but pretty common sense here folks.

1. hypothesis: he left before she got killed;
2. also many confessions/statements denying involvement; why would you believe that one statement and disregard only the others as lies?
3. there were many people seen with Flores in the casino; he was seen entering the hotel with her, according to the inconsistent news articles, but that remains circumstantial; what happened in the hotel after they entered is much more relevant
4. hotel clerk has heard some discussions behind a closed door; so what? I have heated discussions with my wife sometimes. Is the fact that she is still breathing the only thing that keeps me out of jail?
5. I admit, it's an expensive cab ride for Peruvian standards (but not for Dutch or American standards); but maybe he is just a dumb foreigner who doesn't think economics? Why would he not be able to fly when he was not sought by police yet? Maybe there were no flights available and he was in a hurry for other reasons.

This has nothing to do with common sense. It has to do with the police having to come up with more compelling evidence than your points above that do nothing more than raise more questions. Unfortunately there have been many people convicted, some even put to death, on such "common sense" evidence but they were found innocent long after. For some after spending half their life in prison or even after being executed. In many of those cases it was clear that it would not have come that far if the police had done a bit more investigation, or had not withheld critical pieces of evidence, but it was the pressure of the public to convict someone what led them to rush it. I can't speak for all of you, but I personally do not want to have that blood on my hands.

I actually think, particularly for the justice system in the US, that in cases where the death penalty was applied and the dead convict was found innocent afterward the officers involved as well as the jury members should stand trial for murder. Call me contrarian, but I do think it will make them a lot more careful convicting anyone to the death penalty (probably never again). In my eyes the whole jury thing is flawed anyway as the jury members are not trained to suppress their opinion and look at the facts only. But that on a side note, Peru doesn't have a jury.

It just saddens me more and more that there are so many people who rather jump to conclusions than to observe critically and let the police do a proper investigation. Not just in this case. It shows that society has not evolved at all since the middle ages...
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:07 pm

rgamarra wrote:but then again we aren't Peruvian citizens, so we are entitled to nothing.

Visitor or not, anyone is entitled to a fair trial. All are equal to the law.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:15 pm

I made my point. You can say whatever you like. Keep using your superior logic skills and common sense to arrive at your point, seems to serve you well :)
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 pm

rgamarra wrote:So is he innocent of extortion? I'm sure the U.S. has trumped up those charges, too, right? This kid has already proven that he is prone to criminal behavior...Extortion charges come as no surprise.

It's up to the police to determine. But the question is: what makes up the coercion? Was he threatening them with violence? Without coercion no extortion. Even if he had sent an email (which needs to be proven based on IP addresses, records from ISPs etc., not just his email address) to the family asking money for clues, and assuming they did indeed wire $15,000, it just leaves that family desperate enough to wire the money (same category as the Nigerian email scams about inheriting millions, you only need to send 5000 to process your claim). What were they actually expecting from someone who is already known to be a pathological liar? The truth?

Again, I'm not defending him, I stand on the sideline with an objective and critical view of what has been presented so far.
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 pm

scott wrote:your superior logic skills and common sense

Well, at least that has been recognised now :wink:
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Kelly » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:32 pm

It just saddens me more and more that there are so many people who rather jump to conclusions than to observe critically and let the police do a proper investigation. Not just in this case. It shows that society has not evolved at all since the middle ages...


This is the part I don't get. I agree with most everything you've said. While I think the evidence (including his behaviour) available to the public at this time points to his guilt, it is pretty much circumstantial - but I don't see how anyone in this thread has said or implied that the police shouldn't do a proper investigation. While there are a few of us who opine that he seems to be guilty, not one of us has suggested that he be drawn and quartered without a fair trial.

Look at the Ted Bundy case - before he was actually found guilty of anything, they were tracking his movements around the US, looking for other cases they could tie him to. Does that mean he wasn't going to get a fair trial? No, it meant they were looking for more evidence, because the what they had was pointing at him.

The coincidence of the dates doesn't PROVE anything - but it's an unusual enough situation that it warrants looking into. If the police didn't get suspicious over unusual circumstances like that, there would be a lot of unsolved crimes.
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/490213/gal ... -der-sloot

Well there you have it, proof of the vigilantes americorps was referring to. What was the police thinking anyway, taking him by car from the southern border to Lima? And why are they even making him transfer cars? I think it would have been very convenient for the Peruvian police if some angry Peruvian would have killed Joran... that would have been case closed.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:49 pm

They took him by car because all available aircraft were previously allocated to the OAS meeting.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:00 pm

scott wrote:They took him by car because all available aircraft were previously allocated to the OAS meeting.

And you're telling me that the Peruvian government couldn't come up with any other airplane? Or a military helicopter? Did they not evaluate the risks of taking him over the road? When I read a day ago that he was going to be taken by car I was already expecting problems. Blockade of the panamerican highway, people armed etc. In Peru one can expect anything. Why doesn't the police think of that?
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: MIRAFLORES
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Rene:

Add things up. Have you seen the video of him walking into the hotel room with her?....Then he left...She never left. He was obviously the last one to see her in that hotel room. She obviously didn't die from natural causes.

Here is some common sense:

Two people enter a room.

Joran leaves alive and and Flores never leaves the room. Joran who is alive, flees the country. Body of Stephany found dead with physical injuries and no one else had entered the room after Joran having left. Seems pretty much like common sense to me that all roads lead to Rome.

Is he guilty? Not yet until found guilty. However, logic will tell you that he is the only possible person to have killed her.

Here is the video:

http://www.yppo.com/2010/06/05/joran-van-der-sloot-murder-suspect-update/
Regards,

George
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Rene wrote:And you're telling me that the Peruvian government couldn't come up with any other airplane? Or a military helicopter? Did they not evaluate the risks of taking him over the road? When I read a day ago that he was going to be taken by car I was already expecting problems. Blockade of the panamerican highway, people armed etc. In Peru one can expect anything. Why doesn't the police think of that?


It was stated by Peruvian government officials that he would be transported by ground as all air supoprt had been dedicated to the protection of officials gathering for the Organization of American States annual meeting.

I would imagine they think protecting the leaders and political figures of the OAS to be more important than protecting one suspected murderer.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Kelly wrote:This is the part I don't get. I agree with most everything you've said. While I think the evidence (including his behaviour) available to the public at this time points to his guilt, it is pretty much circumstantial - but I don't see how anyone in this thread has said or implied that the police shouldn't do a proper investigation. While there are a few of us who opine that he seems to be guilty, not one of us has suggested that he be drawn and quartered without a fair trial.

Well, I think that's a bit double. Some do say that he should have a fair trial, but they have already branded him guilty as well (or in Scott's case of the prior case). If they don't get the outcome they wished for they continue to pursue the person and will always find him guilty regardless. The many statements here display that clearly. The trial in court may have been fair or not, the trial in the public court of opinion certainly is not. And this will follow the person (not just in this case, that's in general) for the rest of his life.

I choose to consider it suspicious (it is) but prefer to wait with the final verdict until all evidence has been brought to the table. It is a known fact that extensive press coverage and strong public opinion such as in this case are at least not aiding the police investigation. Quite the contrary. It influences the statements from witnesses, it puts pressure on the judges etc. Also, less applicable to this online discussion, but in the streets the people have also made up their minds in the same way as the posters here. They are the ones that are now going after him and some would not mind harming him if they got the chance. It has already taken place in the car transport debacle. It will happen again in Lima. It is thus saddening that a suspect (not a convicted criminal) needs police protection against the angry mob.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby iskndarbey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:27 pm

The presumption of innocence means that he can't be legally convicted or punished until a fair trial has proved his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It most certainly does not mean that interested bystanders are obligated to reach the conclusion that he is innocent, despite the preponderance of the evidence, until such time as he is legally convicted.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby iskndarbey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Rene wrote:It has already taken place in the car transport debacle. It will happen again in Lima. It is thus saddening that a suspect (not a convicted criminal) needs police protection against the angry mob.


This is your third post about the "car transport debacle". Nothing happened to him! Nobody even threw anything at him or made any visible threats! Remember, the Peruvian public is presumed innocent of conspiracy to commit murder until proven guilty....
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm

american_in_lima wrote:Rene:

Add things up. Have you seen the video of him walking into the hotel room with her?....Then he left...She never left. He was obviously the last one to see her in that hotel room. She obviously didn't die from natural causes.

Here is the video:

http://www.yppo.com/2010/06/05/joran-van-der-sloot-murder-suspect-update/

Agree, this video is a lot more compelling. But based on what the press shows I cannot judge if anything relevant has been left out from this video between him entering and leaving and after him leaving. I'll leave that up to the police to investigate as I assume that they have the whole video.

Let's be clear, I have never stated he was innocent. I expressed that the evidence available at the start of this discussion was only circumstantial and that the "guilty verdicts" were based on nothing more than that. If based on the CCTV the police can with 100% certainty determine that he could have been the only one, then it will be pretty hard for him to maintain his innocence.

But it still doesn't proof anything about the Holloway case.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: MIRAFLORES
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Rene wrote:
But it still doesn't proof anything about the Holloway case.


Rene: Joran admitted it in an undercover investigation. Then he later said that he lied about it when the video came out to protect himself.
Regards,

George
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm

iskndarbey wrote:
Rene wrote:It has already taken place in the car transport debacle. It will happen again in Lima. It is thus saddening that a suspect (not a convicted criminal) needs police protection against the angry mob.


This is your third post about the "car transport debacle". Nothing happened to him! Nobody even threw anything at him or made any visible threats! Remember, the Peruvian public is presumed innocent of conspiracy to commit murder until proven guilty....

It has been reported that he was hit. Same as for you guys for me the news articles are the only thing to go by. Or were you there?

iskndarbey wrote:Remember, the Peruvian public is presumed innocent of conspiracy to commit murder until proven guilty....

Never claimed the public is guilty of conspiracy... never claimed they would want to murder him either. Just asking some critical questions.
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:49 pm

american_in_lima wrote:Rene: Joran admitted it in an undercover investigation. Then he later said that he lied about it when the video came out to protect himself.

An undercover investigation by a reporter! For the rest, read my prior responses to "selective evidence".
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: MIRAFLORES
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Regardless of who investigated him: Joran admitted to killing Holloway. Nothing selective about that.

Common sense.
Regards,

George
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:32 pm

iskndarbey wrote:The presumption of innocence means that he can't be legally convicted or punished until a fair trial has proved his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It most certainly does not mean that interested bystanders are obligated to reach the conclusion that he is innocent, despite the preponderance of the evidence, until such time as he is legally convicted.

I have never stated that you would not be allowed to have your opinion. But I'm shocked how easily people come to such opinions based on circumstantial evidence. And I also recognise how easily lives of wrongly accused people are affected due to these opinions. But all that is never covered by the reporters as that is not interesting enough for the readers and they simply move on to the next suspect. The record of the wrongly accused will never be properly cleared and the damage to his/her life never compensated. And that is made even worse if the accusations continue when the truth could not be found.

So you're right, there is no law that prevents you from having such opinions nor one that makes you liable for the consequences of such opinions. But that just makes it easy to make unfounded accusations without consequences. I find that as a society we have the responsibility to walk this path carefully and to weight the things we're saying. I at least tend to think that I'm trying to do the right thing. I'll leave it with that for now.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:07 pm

I find that as a society we have the responsibility to walk this path carefully and to weight the things we're saying. I at least tend to think that I'm trying to do the right thing. I'll leave it with that for now.


Which country's standards apply? Societal standards vary from country to country. I guess you are stating yours are better than any other? We all think we are doing the right thing, those are called our actions not online opinions.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby americorps » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Scott, that is where you expose so much about who you are. To take a comment about accepting consequences for what you do and say and question it as not legitimate or suggesting it is some sort of western concept is....different.

I have traveled a fair bit and I have yet to come across a culture or country where ultimately one was not, on some level, held responsible for his actions or what he says.

I wish you the very best of luck finding the culture you are looking for that allows you to say or do anything with no consequences, I have yet to encounter such a culture.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Wine Lover » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Have forensics given a time of death yet?
What happens if the time of death was after 8:15am Sunday?
The body wasnt discovered until Tuesday.

We know:
- They had known each other since the 14th of May so perhaps this wasnt the first time she'd been to the hotel with him.
- He bought 2 coffees at wong before returning to the room, packing up and leaving.
- She was fighting with her parents.
- Perhaps she decided to stay at the hotel because she didnt want to go home.
- Did she have a boyfriend?

It will be interesting to see if anything shows up on the video tapes in the next 48 hours after the suspect left.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Alan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 am

On the news last night they showed excerpts from the hotel video tape taken from a camera conveniently located right outside of his bedroom. It showed the two of them going in, and only him coming out. Nobody else entered the room (unless the video is in some ways incomplete). The evidence here is really stacking up.

Another interesting development is that Salsa musician Ruben Blades recognized Joran when he saw him in the Atlantic City Casino and says that he raised the alarm with the staff, who either did nothing about it, or that if they did warn Stephanie, she ignored it.

Alan
ps. Scott... What is the picture you have drawn?
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 am

Not Ruben Blades, but his brother.
User avatar
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby mammalu » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

I see it now! It is a self-portrait of Scott, holding his head in despair.... LOL (what happened to your hair Scott? ) :lol:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:40 am

Alan wrote:ps. Scott... What is the picture you have drawn?


Facepalm... Shaking my head in disbelief.

mammalu wrote:I see it now! It is a self-portrait of Scott, holding his head in despair.... LOL (what happened to your hair Scott? ) :lol:


Yeah, I went bald over this, LOL!
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 pm

All our opinions are a moot point now, since he's apparently confessed.


Unless of course, the press is making that up too.
adamsouthfl
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:18 am
Location: Lake Worth, FL

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby adamsouthfl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:01 am

I really hope the police and the fiscalia are not botching this up. They got a confession, yes, but I hope this was done according to the law and that he can't walk away from this.

Meanwhile, news is reporting that he could face a maximum of 20 years for confessing. I wonder if there is a strategy to his confession or if the evidence was overwhelming against him.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby scott » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:52 pm

http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/491836/fiscalia-colombiana-investiga-desaparicion-jovenes-durante-estadia-van-der-sloot-ese-pais

He is being investigated for 2 more disappearances in Columbia. Surely this is yet another series coincidences in a the life of Joran.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby rgamarra » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Miami Herald has one of the better English language articles on the story:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/08/1670454/elite-guests-are-no-match-for.html

I think it gives a great perspective for Americans who are unfamiliar with the Peruvian culture and viewpoint.

Van der Sloot has been a familiar face in the United States for years after he emerged as the prime suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba. In Peru, however, he was virtually unknown.

``I had never heard of the case before,'' said Vanesa Bedyoa, a television reporter for Frecuencia Latina. ``But since this happened, we have been covering him nonstop. I am so tired of it.''


``About a year ago, another girl was killed in that same hotel under very similar circumstances,'' said Silvana Leigton, who runs a hair salon next to the TAC Hotel, which is known for its cheap rooms (singles start at $18 a night) and lobby-level casino. ``That case was only in the newspapers for a day. But this time, the victim's father is well known and has a lot of money.''


``This is very atypical, but I think it could be over soon,'' he said. ``If the confession holds up and they send him to jail then it simply becomes a procedural story and we can all go home.''


``Joran told his mother crying Monday that he was being interrogated under reasonably barbaric conditions,'' the paper quoted Bert De Rooij saying. ``He said the police were trying to force him to confess.''

Under such conditions, he said, the ``confession was possibly false.''


Many here take pride that their police have managed to close a case against the man who has been a suspect for so long.

``He probably thought he was in an undeveloped country and could get away with it,'' said Eduardo Noriega, 55, a cabdriver.

``He thought he could escape justice here. Now he knows crime doesn't pay.''
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aruba suspect sought for murder in Peru

Postby Rene » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:52 am


Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register