Do you feel Peru is becoming more unsafe every day?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Do you feel Peru is becoming more unsafe every day?

Postby americorps » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 am

Use the stats, man.

Canada's murder rate, per 100K people, 1.58
Canada's gun murder rate per 100K people, .54

US murder rate per 100K people, 4.55
US gun murder rate per 100K people, 2.97

Above from the United Nations Office on Drug and Crime.

Below compiled and sourced by the Brady Campaign (Ronald Reagan's right hand man)

PROBLEM: Keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of injury and death. Gun owners may overestimate the benefits of keeping a gun in the home and underestimate the risks.

DID YOU KNOW? Where there are more guns, there are more gun deaths.

* Gun death rates are 7 times higher in the states with the highest compared with the lowest household gun ownership. (Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009).

* An estimated 41% of gun-related homicides and 94% of gun-related suicides would not occur under the same circumstances had no guns been present (Wiebe, p. 780).

* Household gun ownership levels vary greatly by state, from 60 percent in Wyoming to 9 percent in Hawaii (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001).

DID YOU KNOW? Keeping a gun in the home raises the risk of homicide.

* States with the highest levels of gun ownership have 114 percent higher firearm homicide rates and 60 percent higher homicide rates than states with the lowest gun ownership (Miller, Hemenway, and Azrael, 2007, pp. 659, 660).

* The risk of homicide is three times higher in homes with firearms (Kellermann, 1993, p. 1084).

* Higher gun ownership puts both men and women at a higher risk for homicide, particularly gun homicide (Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009).

DID YOU KNOW? Keeping a gun in the home raises the risk of suicide.

* Keeping a firearm in the home increases the risk of suicide by a factor of 3 to 5 and increases the risk of suicide with a firearm by a factor of 17 (Kellermann, p. 467, p. Wiebe, p. 771).

* The association between firearm ownership and increased risk of suicide cannot be explained by a higher risk of psychiatric disorders in homes with guns (Miller, p. 183).

DID YOU KNOW? A gun in the home is more likely to be used in a homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense.

Every time a gun injures or kills in self-defense, it is used:

* 11 times for completed and attempted suicides (Kellermann, 1998, p. 263).
* 7 times in criminal assaults and homicides, and
* 4 times in unintentional shooting deaths or injuries.

PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:56 am

Also, most people do not understand how culturally and demographically different the US is from Canada. Canada does not have the War on Drugs which is responsible for a lot -- if not most of -- the violent crime in the USA. And Reagan started that War. A total failure. And we lost a lot of our Constitution in that War. And it never was a war for the People. It was a war to consolidate the drug profits. Now that the criminal CIA/Bush/Clintons/Rothschild/Rockefeller has those all tied up they have unlimited funds. They also took over the heroin trade in the last 5 years. Nice...

Japan has the lowest violent crime. Use some logic to figure that one out.

Anything from Brady or SPLC I won't even read. Brady has changed its tone from outlawing guns to more sane regulations. But, they still don't work. Those shots were political anyway. The shooters parents just happen to be best friends with one of the Bush brothers. And he is in a hospital not a prison. Reagan put some feelers out about the FED as was shot 3 months later. SPLC is just a bunch of liars and they have a very evil agenda. Suicides are ruled out in my book. You have every right in the universe to kill yourself. Just like you have every right to protect yourself and your loved ones. And the most important: As long as criminals have guns so should the People.

Back to the issue - where is the most crime now in Peru?

Countryside or cities?
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:01 am

Regarding tupacperus account of Washington, D.C. in that it is against the law to have a gun and at the same time having one of the highest crime/murder rates in the nation, there is another a city in the U.S. that is in complete contrast. 28 years ago Kennesaw, Ga. enacted an ordinance requiring that each head of household own and maintain a gun. As I said this city is in complete contrast to Washington, D.C. so you can probably guess the result, if you can not here is a link to one story: http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:06 am

Are people really comparing Kennesaw and Washington DC? I mean, c'mon!
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 am

Something relevant to the original topic and experiences in PERU would be wonderful...
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am

Well, in Lima, if they suspect you of doing something wrong, the police comes and you'll end up in front of a court. If this happens in some small town in the Andes, you'll most likely end up hanging from a tree or stoned to death. Especially now with all these nationalists active in the provinces, Peru is getting more unsafe; however, inside the capital I do not notice any difference. There are more liquidations going on between criminals, but nothing that directly affects me (yet).
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:54 am

I have not seen an increase in crime where I am, Pucallpa, relative to my time here. I see the typical crimes of opportunity, crimes of passion. No more or less in the past 13 years. I occasionally see the angry mob dispensing justice as they feel they can't trust the police or courts to do so.

Bottom line: If I didn't feel safe here, I would not be here.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 am

scott wrote:Bottom line: If I didn't feel safe here, I would not be here.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Having had my house robbed and a gun pointed at me (both in Calgary, AB, Canada) I still feel very safe here. When I am in Lima I do things to limit my attractiveness to would-be thieves. I am a 6'3 white guy, so a very easy target to spot. When I go out I usually do so with a purpose and only carry what I need for the day (cash, keys etc.) I do the same in Canada and the US. If I am to get robbed I will lose a minimum and be very happy to give it up without a fight or struggle. I don't want to get beat up/shot/stabbed over some cash and petty items. I guess the bottom line is that if you don't look like you have anything easy to steal the criminals will move onto someone else. If someone wants to break into your house/business, they will find a way. As for violent crimes (rapes/murders etc...) I cannot comment on. I not sure how you would get around those, but I feel that these are by far the minority of crimes committed, and no I have no stats to back that up.

As far as carrying a gun, that is a personal decision and should not be debated on this forum.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 pm

Let´s bear in mind that we are on the doorstep of a municipal election, and as always, security is one of the main rallying point. I suspect that the flames are being fanned by the politicians, making a not-great safety scenario seem much, much worse.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Remigius wrote:
scott wrote:Bottom line: If I didn't feel safe here, I would not be here.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I seem to remember saying just that, 2 days and 23 posts ago.
There are some on this site who should of either stayed home, or seriously consider going home for the sake of their own sanity.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm

I seem to remember saying just that, 2 days and 23 posts ago.
There are some on this site who should of either stayed home, or seriously consider going home for the sake of their own sanity.

Indeed you did! Somehow the conversation digressed to politics and stats and nothing about safety and crime in Peru.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm

iron butterfly wrote:Regarding tupacperus account of Washington, D.C. in that it is against the law to have a gun and at the same time having one of the highest crime/murder rates in the nation, there is another a city in the U.S. that is in complete contrast. 28 years ago Kennesaw, Ga. enacted an ordinance requiring that each head of household own and maintain a gun. As I said this city is in complete contrast to Washington, D.C. so you can probably guess the result, if you can not here is a link to one story: http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

Thanks for the article. But it just goes to prove. Laws do not stop people from having guns.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Ron wrote:Having had my house robbed and a gun pointed at me (both in Calgary, AB, Canada) I still feel very safe here. When I am in Lima I do things to limit my attractiveness to would-be thieves. I am a 6'3 white guy, so a very easy target to spot. When I go out I usually do so with a purpose and only carry what I need for the day (cash, keys etc.) I do the same in Canada and the US. If I am to get robbed I will lose a minimum and be very happy to give it up without a fight or struggle. I don't want to get beat up/shot/stabbed over some cash and petty items. I guess the bottom line is that if you don't look like you have anything easy to steal the criminals will move onto someone else. If someone wants to break into your house/business, they will find a way. As for violent crimes (rapes/murders etc...) I cannot comment on. I not sure how you would get around those, but I feel that these are by far the minority of crimes committed, and no I have no stats to back that up.

As far as carrying a gun, that is a personal decision and should not be debated on this forum.

Yes Ron, 6'3 has alot to do with it. I have not been persoanlly assaulted in Peru and I have been there for 7 years. I pretty much floow the same rule. 1 hidden debit card and 100 soles, when I lived there.

Lima may be safer than the USA and Canada, but thing are going down hill.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Alan wrote:Let´s bear in mind that we are on the doorstep of a municipal election, and as always, security is one of the main rallying point. I suspect that the flames are being fanned by the politicians, making a not-great safety scenario seem much, much worse.

That's a good point. My novia and her family have been talking much more about feeling unsafe lately, and getting so frustrated they are considering selling their house and moving to a safer area in Peru. Now they WERE robbed outside their home a month or so ago, so maybe this is belated shock on their part, but the father is a police officer and is fairly used to that kind of stress. Now I wonder if their fears are increasing since they DO watch a lot of local news.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 am

While I don't personally feel like I'm in any greater danger than I was 6 years ago when I arrived, I don't remember seeing news stories like that robbery on the Via Express back then, either. It seems like there is more gun violence here recently, where as just a few years ago, it was uncommon.

I imagine drug trade has a bit to do with guns becoming more common.

But I still don't feel like I'm in any more danger living in Lima than I was living in Wash. DC.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Kelly wrote:While I don't personally feel like I'm in any greater danger than I was 6 years ago when I arrived, I don't remember seeing news stories like that robbery on the Via Express back then, either.

The same things happened 6, 7 to 10 years ago. A friend of mine was mugged and dumped on the middle of the Via Expresa. Another guy was stopped in his VW Beetle, forced to get out, and had to watch how his car turned into a skeleton. A karate champ was killed when they tried to rob him of his money. What has changed however is that there are way more surveillance cameras now in the streets, when you look at the news, you're being confronted with more live action and that is more impacting then a simple headline in the paper.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 pm

There have been 3 or 4 HEAVY violent incidences in San Borja in the last year. All 4 have been caught on camera, all 4, the suspect has been captured by the police within 2 hours of the event. 2 of the criminals are dead and the others are in jail.

Much better than when I lived in DC.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:04 pm

americorps wrote:There have been 3 or 4 HEAVY violent incidences in San Borja in the last year. All 4 have been caught on camera, all 4, the suspect has been captured by the police within 2 hours of the event. 2 of the criminals are dead and the others are in jail.

Much better than when I lived in DC.

Yes, cameras do help a lot and especially because, ironically, the police knows exactly for to look for and where to look. Look at the shooting incident on the Villa Expresa with that little girl. They caught the majority in the blink of an eye. Preemptive detention surely starts becoming interesting.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm

I can't really comment on changes in the level of safety.

I live in Pueblo Libre and I have never felt the least bit unsafe at any time of day or night. Perhaps the crime is all in San Borja and Miraflores because that is where money and tourists are. Or in the conos where poor people prey on each other. I simply have never seen any sign of it. Perhaps I am just lucky. Hopefully, my luck continues.

I read the stories about violent incidents and various other types of crime and, to me, it sounds like another country. However, the stories do make me be more careful than I otherwise might be.

Craig
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 pm

It sounds like it´s time for a lot of people here to move to a descent place like Tarapoto.

I park my motorbike on the street all night. Sleep with windows open and most of the time forget to lock the door. When I leave the house, the backdoor is open to get fresh air into the house.
I won´t even do that in Europe.
asgoodasitgets
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgoodasitgets » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

I'm with the pro gun side of this issue.

1. Self Defence. How did you or the government rightfully attain the right to deny someone this right? Through what mechanism? There isn't one. It's natural and inalienable.

2. Only dictatorial and consequently genocidal states (Mao, Hitler, Stalin) actively disarm citizens.

3. States have killed more people and committed more acts of terrorism than any collection of individuals.

4. Statisics are very clear. Guns deter violent crime. If a couple of kids at Virginia tech had weapons do you think that the shooter would have had time to harm so many? ( before anyone responds stupidly we're talking about older kids over the age of consent). Or at least a teacher?

This disagreement about who can have what or that guns are a crime... The corporate lackey media never tells you about the cases where guns have saved lives prevented horrific crimes and so on. The corporate media has a definite agenda.
The Foundation of a Free Society is Freedom of Speech.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 am

asgoodasitgets wrote:I'm with the pro gun side of this issue.

1. Self Defence. How did you or the government rightfully attain the right to deny someone this right? Through what mechanism? There isn't one. It's natural and inalienable.

2. Only dictatorial and consequently genocidal states (Mao, Hitler, Stalin) actively disarm citizens.

3. States have killed more people and committed more acts of terrorism than any collection of individuals.

4. Statisics are very clear. Guns deter violent crime. If a couple of kids at Virginia tech had weapons do you think that the shooter would have had time to harm so many? ( before anyone responds stupidly we're talking about older kids over the age of consent). Or at least a teacher?

This disagreement about who can have what or that guns are a crime... The corporate lackey media never tells you about the cases where guns have saved lives prevented horrific crimes and so on. The corporate media has a definite agenda.

Like I said before. I am not a gun adovocate and anyone should have the right to bear arms. Living in Arizona (Gun state), I would think twice about confrontation. So yes, I agree guns do deter gun violence.
But I can not bring myself to own one. But a taser, pepper spray and a bat I do own.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 am

1. Peru has a mechanism for owning guns, but not right to bear arms. You may disagree but that does mean you can then bypass any law you disagree with. The idea of applying natural rights to guns specifically is an opinion, nothing more.

2. Countries like Canada, modern day Japan, England all have very severe restrictions on the public owning guns, yet can hardly be called dictatorial and genocidal states. That is an extreme statement but sort of skirts around the true definition of what dictatorial and ESPECIALLY genocidal actually mean.

3. Do you have any suggestion that you owning a pistol would change that statistic?

4. Violent crimes stats are lower in countries that have severe gun restrictions.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Do robberies, rapes etc... without a gun count in the statistics as violent gun crimes?
Without guns, many will use an alternative method. Yes more guns, more violence - this would depend on which is the criminal and which is the victim. Do they count the criminal into the stats if the victim is quicker on the draw?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Eat a burger at Bembos and your breath will stink so bad that nobody will come close to you to rob you. :evil:

Last week, I ve eaten at Bembos and my novia forced me to sleep on the sofa because of the smell. Even the dog didn´t want to come near me.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register