Gringa Lori going back to prison...

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gringa Lori going back to prison...

Postby scott » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Looks like her tearful apology 15 years after the fact was not enough:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100818/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_peru_lori_berenson

Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gringa Lori going back to prison...

Postby rgamarra » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm

All I can say is "good!"

Her whole "I want to be a mom now" is complete you know what. Hindsight is 20/20, but she decided to participate in anti-government activities and conceive while imprisoned.

They should have never paroled her in the first place, but on the other hand, I think the courts are playing to popular politics, i.e. sending her back to prison b/c Peruvians want her back in prison, rather than correctly administering the law.

She could always go back to the U.S. and serve out her time there, but then she would have a Felony record. Five more years in the Peruvian clinker looked like the better deal, I guess.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

scott wrote:Looks like her tearful apology 15 years after the fact was not enough:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100818/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_peru_lori_berenson

The woman has definitely sided with the wrong people, but this ruling shows how inept and opportunistic the Peruvian government is. If the people hadn't massively complained, Berenson would never have been sent back to jail for such a small detail. As if the police didn't know where Berenson was.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:29 pm

I think she was guilty of something and I would not have been upset if they had denied her parole, but I think it is foolish to give her parole and take it back through no fault of her own.

Many in her shoes got parole after they served 75% of their time, there was nothing to show she did anything wrong or different than them, she was put back in prison as a knee-jerk reaction to nationalist emotions and not due to any legal issues.

I repeat my quote, Law is reason free from passion. To give her freedom under the rule of law, and to put a mother with her child outside prison, then take it away solely due to political pressure is cruel, no matter that she is guilty.

She served her time, she earned her probation as allowed under Peruvian law, justice is no longer being served, just egos.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:58 pm

It looks like she was sent back to jail based on a technicality (a few more months in jail to complete 75% of her original prison time).

It is ridiculous and shows a total lack of consistency when applying the law.
It is embarrasing and sad, bordering in cruel, to now send her back to prison with a baby. What for? a few more months will make it right to release her again? Will it make people happier? Yes, looks like it does! :roll:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:05 am

I think you articulated it the best, Mammalu. Kangaroo courts or Kangaroo politics, however one wants to label it, the court is only sending her back to please the masses.

Why they are sending the child back (to prison) when there are clearly guardians available to take care of the child, that I don't understand. It was the mother that committed the crime and not the child.

Peruvian Times just released an interview with Lori Berenson. She still denies the totality of her involvement and imo tries to make herself out to have been some naive American when she was caught. Even though she claims that she did not kill anyone, she was still an accomplice to the crime(s).

Here's a shortlink to the interview: http://bit.ly/8ZtOFh

Anyway, she's lucky she's not going back to the U.S. with a felony record. I think they should have expelled her from the country when they paroled her in the first place...But of course, they wanted to "follow the law." :roll:
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 am

As far as I know, Berenson wanted to remain with her child. Which, looking at the situation, is pretty understandable. Peruvians just have to accept the fact that one day Berenson will be released.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm

When she was caught, they found plans on her for new attacks. And she claims innocence. They found phone numbers for leaders of the group. And she claims innocence. I was in Peru in the late 80s early 90s and remember what it was like: no running water, bombs going off every 5 minutes, doing homework under candlelight because they had blown another tower, not being able to buy the basics like milk and sugar. People, even Peruvians, forget very easily what it was like. IMO, ALL terrorists should be in jail for life. A lot of expats are saying "poor Lori, she has served her time" or "she didn't deserve to be in jail". What if this was Osama? Would you give him 20 years in prison, and then claim that Civil Rights are being broken by keeping him in jail? I don't think so...

Now, having said that, I do agree with most of you... she was released on parole... having her go back is ridiculous.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I understand you emotional reaction, but many of us Expats are well-informed about what happened during the first term of Alan Garcia (responsible for you and your family queuing for milk and sugar). In the end Berenson is not Osama, you cannot compare the two. Different histories, different reality. Berenson complied with the Peruvian justice and should be treated accordingly.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I don't think I've seen anyone here say she didn't deserve to go to jail. There are many expats on this forum who WERE here during those years, and feel she deserved her sentence. However, it's Peruvian law that allows her to be released on parole after serving 75% of her sentence. She's gone back to jail only because it was a 'popular' thing to do. I don't care who it is - that's not right. The law should apply equally to all.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register