McDonalds

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

McDonalds

Postby euroman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I find that the food at McDonalds is excellent. The meat tasts fresh and the chips are freshly baked.
Also they have some nice sauces. The staff is very friendly too and the restaurants are posh and clean.

In the US and in Europe. The food is tasteless and the restaurants are filthy. Late at night, the are full of weirdos.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: McDonalds

Postby americorps » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Many will be down on McDonalds because they opened in the plaza de armas in Cuzco, but I disagree. They are franchised, meaning in this case, Peruvian owned and they conformed to the signage of the area.

They are one of the few companies that will hire people with disabilities in Peru.

I do not go there because I do not like the burgers. They add those Peruvian spices to their meat and being a cattle farmer from Kansas, I like the taste of pure beef. That is why, on the rare times I go to American fast food other than Pizza, I go to Burger King because they offer 100% pure beef hamburgers in addition to the Carne Bravo (Peruvian style). Though I find Burger King's service to be very very bad here.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm

americorps wrote:I go to Burger King because they offer 100% pure beef hamburgers in addition to the Carne Bravo (Peruvian style). Though I find Burger King's service to be very very bad here.

With McDonald's I have the feeling I'm eating a piece of carton and Burger King is like chewing on a wet sponge. In both places you have to add a lot of sauces to make it taste like something. Bembos, however, has nice thick burgers that at least give you the impression you eat something that used to moo.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 pm

If you like lots of non beef fillers in your burgers, then please, by all means, stick with Bembos.

I am a farm boy, I raised cattle and I only want an all beef burger.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm

americorps wrote:If you like lots of non beef fillers in your burgers, then please, by all means, stick with Bembos.

I guess in the end the best burgers are made at home.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 am

It was amusing to open the "Peruvian Cuisine" forum and see the first post as "McDonalds." :)

We don't have McDs in Arequipa but I must say, when I have traveled to Lima or to Arica Chile, it tastes SO good to me....and I don't eat it at all in the States...so maybe it is better quality? Or maybe it's just deprivation that distorts my perspective...funny.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 am

MartitaAQP wrote:It was amusing to open the "Peruvian Cuisine" forum and see the first post as "McDonalds." :)

We don't have McDs in Arequipa but I must say, when I have traveled to Lima or to Arica Chile, it tastes SO good to me....and I don't eat it at all in the States...so maybe it is better quality? Or maybe it's just deprivation that distorts my perspective...funny.

McDonald's tastes so good, because it reminds you of home. Wherever you go, may it be the South Pole, if you go to the Mac, it always tastes the same.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm

I was in Lima last week. I´ve been to McDonalds at Plaza San Miguel.
The taste of the food was down, it was used to be better.
Naylor

Postby Naylor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Remigius wrote:
MartitaAQP wrote:It was amusing to open the "Peruvian Cuisine" forum and see the first post as "McDonalds." :)

McDonald's tastes so good, because it reminds you of home. Wherever you go, may it be the South Pole, if you go to the Mac, it always tastes the same.

No it doesn't :D
-Chris Naylor-
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Please, give me a break! You must be badly homesick to enjoy Mc Donald when there are so many good and affordable restaurants for almost the same price. In two years, I have been twice to Mc and once to Burger King. each time the experience left me with an icky feeling in the stomach. Come on, aren´t you in Peru just to get away from junk food?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:15 pm

it is interesting the number of people on this board that believe if you do not think as they do, you are wrong and bad.

Then feel the need to attack those who feel differently.

It reflects bad on the people who do it.

pingouin, if you do not want to go there or do not like it, do not go, but why on God's green earth do you think that if others do not feel the way you do that they are bad and wrong and that you are superior and have the right to not only judge them, but speak to them in a cruel way?
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Sorry if I hurt anybody´s feeling on such a trivial issue. However, I insist, Mc Donals´s and the likes including Bembos, just sell junk food at an outrageous price. It is my opinion and everybody on this forum has the right to express it even if is in a non sugarcoated way that Mc Donald´s is the epitomy of American bad taste and imperialism at its worst. If you are not convinced of that just watch Supersize it and fast food nation( I just watched the latter a few days ago on SAT TV)

And please, don´t take Mc Donald´s as a personal issue

Gerard
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:10 pm

i never said anything about you having an opinion or even if I agreed or disagreed with our opinion, I said something about you being cruel to those who had a different opinion.

I do not take McDonalds as a personal issue, I take bullying as a personal issue.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 pm

I like to have Burger King, once in a blue moon. McDonald is ok and Wendy's even better. A visit every few months does it for me, just satisfying a craving. I can understand Remigius eating something that reminds him of home.
I guess that would be the same for my kids (now grown-ups) who many times after a soccer or baseball game used to go and get a burger. Yes, I am glad they enjoyed that time. I am a good cook and my family sat for decades at the table together for dinner (I am doing some pre-emptive action), but those little memories, activated when you smell or taste something that reminds you of home or your childhood are good for the heart and for the spirit. (Hey, I love to eat liver, much to my husband's dismay! LOL)

And in the Christmas Spirit, for those who disagree (wow, don't you have something better to pick on?), Bah Humbug! LOL ;-)
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 pm

americorps wrote:If you like lots of non beef fillers in your burgers, then please, by all means, stick with Bembos.

I've had a hankering for a good burger. Any recommendations?
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:20 pm

I liked Wendy´s, especially their Baked potatoes with chives and sour cream as well as their chilis
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 am

pingouin59 wrote:I liked Wendy´s, especially their Baked potatoes with chives and sour cream as well as their chilis

Any non-American chain import places? I ate at Chili's the other day (just because it was there) and had churrasco instead of a burger. Now I wonder how their burger compares to an American Chili's. (The churrasco was very tough, although did taste good once you got to chewing through it.)

Have any Expats opened an "authentic" burger joint (not a franchise)?
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am

try a sanguchon...there are a ton of different ones all around Lima and they are ridiculously good...the only thing that always throws me is that there are always like 100+ choices....

also, if you like Asada, there are two carts in the middle of Parque Kennedy in Miraflores that make amazing carne asada sandwiches...
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:13 pm

meggyrosey wrote:try a sanguchon...there are a ton of different ones all around Lima and they are ridiculously good...the only thing that always throws me is that there are always like 100+ choices....

also, if you like Asada, there are two carts in the middle of Parque Kennedy in Miraflores that make amazing carne asada sandwiches...

Mmmm, oh yeah! Sounds good. Will check them out next time I am out that way.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:10 pm

I am almost ashamed to admit that I was crazy for some meat so I spent the 28 soles for the Kobe burger at Bembos.

While I would NOT say it was worth the price, it was a mighty fine burger.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

I love the burgers at Chili's. I go to the one in Jockey Plaza with my NA friends when I'm in town. They make a really nice margarita as well!!!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm

I went to Chillis as well. Burgers are fine but expensive.

TGI Fridays is serving a special for lunch. A ceasar salad, fries and two large softdrinks for 14 soles.
And a very nice service.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 pm

euroman wrote:I went to Chillis as well. Burgers are fine but expensive.

TGI Fridays is serving a special for lunch. A ceasar salad, fries and two large softdrinks for 14 soles.
And a very nice service.

Seriously? Awful combination of food and way overpriced.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I have to disagree, I treat myself to TGIFridays every 4 months and really look forward to it. Never had a bad experience there.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 pm

well, I was actually referring to the caesar salad, french fries, and soda combination. Sounds weird to me, but to each his or her own. Caesar salad and soup would be a better choice.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:04 pm

calygirl wrote:well, I was actually referring to the caesar salad, french fries, and soda combination. Sounds weird to me, but to each his or her own. Caesar salad and soup would be a better choice.

Yes, you are right. It was Ceasar salad and soup and two large softdrinks. It was in october so I mixed it up with the MAC.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 am

A few members of my host family wanted an American food experience, so I took them to Tony Roma's at Jockey Plaza. I was surprised how much LARGER the racks of ribs were from the Tony Roma's portions in the USA! None of us could finish our entrees, and we took a huge bag home of food. Overall, the ribs were pretty authentic American BBQ, the fries just as good as in the US, but the menu also had some Peruvian dishes. It was funny explaining to my friends what the potato skin appetizers were, and what sour cream was. Peruvians love mayonnaise, but my friends were shocked when the only mayo they could get was honey mustard mayo, which they hated!

One of my friends ordered a shrimp dish which showed (on the menu) it being served on a giant portobello mushroom. When it was served, it was actually served on a set of five tiny portobellos. I guess they can't get the giant ones in Peru? It was still delicious, though.

In soles, it was expensive, sure.... but converting to dollars, it was a bit cheaper than what I would have paid in the US. That is, for what we ordered, anyway. Three entrees, two appetizers, two cocktails, one bottled water (me, the driver) came to S/. 230 I think.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 am

americorps wrote:I have to disagree, I treat myself to TGIFridays every 4 months and really look forward to it. Never had a bad experience there.

I haven't eaten there yet because I am programmed to stay away from TGIF because every one I ever went to in the US was filthy (I guess they have a poor corporate policy on cleaning the tables and dishes.) Tables are always greasy, dishes dirty, forks still have food on them.

But the one at Jockey looked pristine! The place was so clean, it sparkled, and given that it is kinda outdoors (near the parking garage), you'd think it would be filthy. Not at all. So I might give it a try next time I am hankering for some US style food.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 am

Xibalba wrote:A few members of my host family wanted an American food experience, so I took them to Tony Roma's at Jockey Plaza.

Nice!

I saw one @ Larcomar, never tried it. I may have to look into it, my next trip there.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:43 am

Xibalba wrote:I haven't eaten there yet because I am programmed to stay away from TGIF because every one I ever went to in the US was filthy (I guess they have a poor corporate policy on cleaning the tables and dishes.) Tables are always greasy, dishes dirty, forks still have food on them.

Not a big fan of TGIFridays, but the one in Larcomar was clean. Empty, but clean.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Xibalba wrote:
americorps wrote:.

I haven't eaten there yet because I am programmed to stay away from TGIF because every one I ever went to in the US was filthy (I guess they have a poor corporate policy on cleaning the tables and dishes.) Tables are always greasy, dishes dirty, forks still have food on them.

But the one at Jockey looked pristine! The place was so clean, it sparkled, and given that it is kinda outdoors (near the parking garage), you'd think it would be filthy. Not at all. So I might give it a try next time I am hankering for some US style food.

I experienced as well that fast food outlets and places liket TGI Fridays, Chillis...in the US are often filthy and an amount of lowlife, junks, weirdos and other undisirables are hanging around those places.
Here in Peru those place are spotless and you always get an friendly service.
Customers of these outlets in Peru are also better dressed.
I've never seen anyone eating in Mcdonalds in the US or in Europe wearing a suit and tie.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 pm

euroman: take a close look at the folks in this McDonalds in NYC....looks like a suit and tie to me!

http://www.wpix.com/news/local/wpix-che ... 9844.story
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Euroman,

Almost every encounter with anything not where you live has a similar story, I have to ask where exactly do you hang out when not at home?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am

euroman wrote:I've never seen anyone eating in Mcdonalds in the US or in Europe wearing a suit and tie.

I'm European, been to the US many times, and my experience is exactly the opposite. I've seen way more people in suit and tie in McD than junks and lowlives. What is your definition of lowlives and undesirable people?
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote="americorps"]
They are one of the few companies that will hire people with disabilities in Peru.

what about a non spanish speaker with a disability? hmmmmm..... I don't know if they would call me disabled! I have a head injury.... the invisible disability.
:-)~mike~(-:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Speaking spanish or a least being prepared to learn it would be advantage.

I like McDonalds in Peru. Much better and different than in the US or Europe.

Staff is friendlier and restaurant are cleaner. Also the food is better and the have nicer salsas.

At Plaza San Miguel, Mc Donalds has a table full of newspapers and magazines you can look at for free.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am

euroman wrote:Speaking spanish or a least being prepared to learn it would be advantage.

I like McDonalds in Peru. Much better and different than in the US or Europe.

Staff is friendlier and restaurant are cleaner. Also the food is better and the have nicer salsas.

At Plaza San Miguel, Mc Donalds has a table full of newspapers and magazines you can look at for free.

Lets not forget wifi and McCafe!
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

When i want beef, i go to Oxapampa , in the Pasco region, the people over there are cattle farmers, and their burguers are good as hell, as well as their chorizos, churrascos, etc
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:17 pm

El Tunche wrote:When i want beef, i go to Oxapampa , in the Pasco region, the people over there are cattle farmers, and their burguers are good as hell, as well as their chorizos, churrascos, etc

A burger of aprox. 100 soles? :-) Must be worth it ;)
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Remigius wrote:
El Tunche wrote:When i want beef, i go to Oxapampa , in the Pasco region, the people over there are cattle farmers, and their burguers are good as hell, as well as their chorizos, churrascos, etc

A burger of aprox. 100 soles? :-) Must be worth it ;)

100 soles for a burger in Peru???
Must be same size as the one I saw in MEN VS. FOOD on tv.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 pm

i obviusly dont go over there only for the beef, but when i go there , i bring back with me a LOT of meat , mostly to sell in Lima to special restaurants , but i keep some for myself too.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I ve eaten at TGI Fridays at Avenida La Marina in San Miguel.
That restaurant was very clean and the service was excellent.
Even the toilet was clean. Something that's rare to find in Lima.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 pm

There's a rumour that McDonalds is going to open a joint in Tarapoto. Does anyone knows more about?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 pm

euroman wrote:There's a rumour that McDonalds is going to open a joint in Tarapoto. Does anyone knows more about?

I think they are going to put in between the starbucks and the hooters.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon May 16, 2011 3:09 pm

I've been in some nice fast food places in the USA as well as some very scary ones full of what could be described as gang members. It just depends on what area you are in.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 16, 2011 6:21 pm

americorps wrote:
euroman wrote:There's a rumour that McDonalds is going to open a joint in Tarapoto. Does anyone knows more about?

I love hooters. They have the best waitresses in the world.

When I lived in LA, I often ate at Hooters. I had a girlsfried who worked at Hooters.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon May 16, 2011 10:01 pm

euroman wrote:
When I lived in LA, I often ate at Hooters. I had a girlsfried who worked at Hooters.

that does not surprise me.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 am

euroman wrote:
americorps wrote:

I love hooters. They have the best waitresses in the world.

There used to be a couple Hooters in Lima. The last one standing (or one of the last) I think was or maybe it still is in Jockey Plaza although I must warn you, the wings there are much more expensive than the wings in Tarapoto. Maybe someone who lives in La Molina can verify it shut down (I hardly ever make it out to the burbs).
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue May 17, 2011 10:36 am

sbaustin wrote:There used to be a couple Hooters in Lima. The last one standing (or one of the last) I think was or maybe it still is in Jockey Plaza although I must warn you, the wings there are much more expensive than the wings in Tarapoto. Maybe someone who lives in La Molina can verify it shut down (I hardly ever make it out to the burbs).

I went once to the one in Larcomar with some friends and the only thing hooting could actually have been a real owl. I remember my friend being really disappointed and his wife very happy.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun May 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I cannot drink coffee myself but I heard if you want to drink a good cup of coffee, the Mac has the best.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register