Garcia Slapping-Punching a young Peruvian

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Garcia Slapping-Punching a young Peruvian

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I am surprised that this did not make it on a thread.

What are your opinions?

Living in a democrarcy (Peru), is it allowable to insult a President?

Should this constitute Freedom of Exression? or is it a personal attack?

Should Garcia have reacted in this manner?

want to hear opinions on the lines of Democrary in Peru.

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Garcia Slapping-Punching a young Peruvian

Postby alan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:12 pm

In my opinion, a spontaneous reaction in a moment of anger that the president probably wishes he had controlled. The kid comes across as a little anti-social in the interviews, so most people I have asked say "he had it coming" or "he deserved it". More worrisome is how at first somebody tried to quash the story.

What I also heard in the interview (Maria Palacios) is that the President is a symbol of the nation in the same way as the flag, so the President has a certain extra level of protection against aggression, whatever that means.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 pm

I am of two opinions.
1) Garcia has a history of this kind of crap (remember him giving 'the boot' to that dude in the parade? He seems to have a very short fuse that makes him act impulsively when he feels offended, which isn't really a trait you like to see in a head of state.
2) This kid should know by his age that when you hurl insults at someone in the street, you're taking a chance of them turning around and backhanding you. The only reason this is news is because of #1 above.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am

The guy was acting a fool, but acting a fool does NOT justify a slap.

The other factor that makes this area more grey to me is the fact that Garcia´s daughter was present and it is unclear if Garcia felt his daughter was threatened somehow by the entire incident.

I do blame a president for slapping a critique, no matter how much of a jerk the critique is.

I do not blame a parent protecting his child.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:18 am

Let's not forget: the kid's right.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:39 am

I remember a guy here in Calgary hit our Premier at the time (equal to a US Senator) in the face with a pie. The kid got jail time. I remember that as he tried to get away the Premier's security took him down quite hard (tackled him face down in the parking lot). I thought he got what he deserved.

http://www.nupge.ca/news_2004/n21se04b.htm

I could see how the Pres. would react that way. Should he have done it? No. Emphatically no. Do I understand why he did it? Yes.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

For those not up on the story, this from the BBC website:

Peruvian President Alan Garcia has denied slapping a young man who insulted him when he visited a hospital last weekend.

The alleged victim says he was struck by the president and then beaten up by his bodyguards after he called Mr Garcia corrupt.

Mr Garcia initially denied the incident had taken place.

He then said he had responded indignantly when insulted, but had not hit the man.

The incident has caused considerable controversy in Peru, where insulting the head of state is an offence.

President Garcia was visiting Edgardo Rebagliati hospital in Lima with his daughter last Saturday when the confrontation took place.

Richard Galvez, 27, a volunteer worker at the hospital, says he shouted "corrupt" at Mr Garcia when he saw him pass by.

Mr Galvez alleges the president turned on him and struck him in the face.

He further alleges he was then beaten by some of Mr Garcia's security guards, while other hospital workers and patients shouted in protest.

The incident was widely reported in Peruvian newspapers, quoting witnesses.
Indignation

President Garcia initially denied there had been a confrontation.

He later said he had responded with a gesture and told Mr Galvez to "Go to hell" after he was insulted, but had not hit the man.

And he said he was right to be indignant.

"Nobody shows me disrespect, much less to the president, and much less in front of my daughter or mother", he said.

"It is impossible that someone calls you 'corrupt' to your face and you stay silent in front of your daughter".

Another man later came forward and said it was he, and not the president, who struck the volunteer, saying he was enraged at hearing insults directed at the president's mother.

It is not the first time Mr Garcia has been accused of lashing out in public, says the BBC's Dan Collyns in Lima.

In 2004 he is alleged to have kicked a man with mental health problems who passed in front of him as he took part in a protest march.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11547470
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:37 pm

It's an offence to insult the president! Is this a vestige of past military dictatorships?

Being insulted is something any president of a democracy has to get used to and accept with dignity. Obviously there is doubt about what happened but I wonder what sort of example he is giving his daughter?
Tom
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:54 pm

tomsax wrote:It's an offence to insult the president! Is this a vestige of past military dictatorships?

Being insulted is something any president of a democracy has to get used to and accept with dignity. Obviously there is doubt about what happened but I wonder what sort of example he is giving his daughter?

Exactly!!!!

They are using a hospital worker as a scapegoat.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:11 pm

I heard a reporter who supposedly saw the event say that the guy was not only yelling, but acting agitated.

That is only heresay, but I have no reason to think he was telling a lie.

If someone was acting like that around my child or baby sister or whathaveyou, and I felt the child was threatened in the slightest, I would jump to protective mode. I have no problem teaching my child that it is not ok to make children feel unsafe.

Again, IF that was the case. If not, then Garcia should suffer the same penalties as anyone else. No more, no less.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:47 pm

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 8VPelBoDAg

Looks like it may be true that Garcia hit him:

http://www.peru.com/noticias/portada201 ... an-Garcia-

Lima (Peru.com) .- A video shows Richard Galvez, who accused President Alan Garcia slap after shouting "corrupt" and crouched next to a planter after the altercation he had with Garcia at the Edgardo Rebagliati Hospital.

In the images, which were broadcast by the Number Zero blog, you look at security agents head of state to try to retain Gálvez, who clings to the iron bars that support a planter.

The video also shows as several witnesses confirm that García Gálvez attacked by yelling "corrupt" and persist in demanding that the police let him go. "Alan Garcia says corrupt, and he came back and got a punch," says a young woman who carries the mobile phone.

Another woman explains: "He has thrown a cachetadón, and he has not seized." A third person regrets what happened and said: "poor." The video ends when Richard Galvez is hardly moved by two security personnel.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register