Large Middle Class in Peru?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Large Middle Class in Peru?

Postby rgamarra » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 pm

From LIP: http://www.livinginperu.com/news/13399

About 16.8 million of Peruvian citizens, or 57 percent of Peru’s population, are considered middle class, according to a study by Santander Group.

The research also indicates that among Latin American countries, Peru ranks seventh based on the percentage of its middle class population. However, with Brazil, Chile and Colombia, Peru has been one of the Latin American nations with the greatest expansion of this socio-economic sector in the last decade.

The Santander Group also reports that in 1990, 53 percent of Latin Americans belonged to this socioeconomic segment while in 2010 the rate is 65 percent.

It makes you wonder if the 57% of middle class Peruvians live in Lima or if they are evenly disbursed? I doubt that the Amazonas and Andean Highlands (i.e. Ayacucho, Apurimac) even figure significantly into these percentages.

I'm also under the persuasion that these figures are inflated due to credit. I doubt that 57% of Peru's middle class qualify under this category due to their liquid assets (i.e. CASH).

Thoughts?

El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Large Middle Class in Peru?

Postby El Tunche » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Remember that peru middle class is a third world middle class, do not judge under developed countries' standard
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 pm

El Tunche wrote:Remember that peru middle class is a third world middle class, do not judge under developed countries' standard

I am familiar with what Peru considers middle class...but if we are going to go with your train of thought, then does Peru have different standards as to what or whom they consider "middle class" by region/department?
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:18 pm

The question has to be how do they define middle class.

Another question is how does anybody define middle class. Oddly when I was a young student in the UK everyone seemed to hate the middle classes and now everyone wants to be one. Even more strangely as I get more and more confused as to what it really means I feel more and more middle class without really knowing why.

Someone called Judith Marin once said “There are three social classes in America: upper middle class, middle class, and lower middle class” So I guess Peruvians are just getting more like America as are the rest of us.

But ironically as more and more people become middle class it losses more and more of its meaning as a bedrock of the idea is that it sets people apart from the 'rabble at the bottom of the heap'. So I think a lot of people (expats!) will be quite aghast that most Peruvians would qualify!
Tom
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:48 pm

I am not familiar with what would be considered middle class. What would be a typical middle class household income in Lima? I understand that there are different financial categories that you are put in when going to University (A-E) and that determines what your tuition is. Is it safe to say then the categories would be broken down as:

A- Upper class
B- Upper middle class
C- Middle class
D- Lower middle class
E- Lower class.

And that the majority of people going to Univ. would be paying the Category C price?
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 pm

I am lower class but feel like upper class.

Most people in the upper class feel like lower class.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:45 pm

euroman wrote:I am lower class but feel like upper class.

Most people in the upper class feel like lower class.

I'm sorry euroman but this is a typical thing a middle class person would say! Lower class and upper class people usually claim they are middle class. Only a middle class person would admit they are lower class but say they feel better about it than an upper class.
Tom
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:55 am

El Tunche wrote:Remember that peru middle class is a third world middle class, do not judge under developed countries' standard

Should talk in terms of money/salary.

S/. 1000 middle class?

Have realtives who are teachers S/. 1200.00, they consider themselves middle class.

Many did not move into the middle class because of jobs and increased wages. The devaluation of the dollar against the sole pushed many into the middle class.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register