Peru Elections 2011 (December talk)

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru Elections 2011 (December talk)

Postby alan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:55 am

PPK officially throws his hat into the ring. Personally, I think he would make a fine president. He is a respected economist who knows the country inside and out, he has an international perspective, and he wants to make poverty reduction his priority. It's all good. Unfortunately he has the charisma of a watermelon.

Former finance minister and cabinet chief Pedro Pablo Kuczynski will present his government plan Thursday when he officially launches his campaign for next year’s presidential elections, according to daily El Comercio.

Kuczynski, popularly known as PPK, said his proposal will be focused on alleviating poverty, adding that he considers his plan to be neither leftwing nor rightwing.
Read more: http://www.peruviantimes.com/presidenti ... ek/3010073

tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru Elections 2011 (December talk)

Postby tomsax » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:34 am

I very much agree with you.

I remember discussing with some campezinos in a very remote part of Peru about how Toledo was doing at the time. They all wanted Fujimori back. I volunteered the suggestions that PPK was quite good (as a the Economy minister at the time) and I will never forget their response of complete incredulity. He will never be popular in those regions I don't think.
Last edited by tomsax on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am

tomsax wrote:I very much agree with you.

I remember discussing with some campezinos in a very remote part of Peru about how Toledo was doing at the time. They all wanted Fujimori back. I volunteered the suggestions that PPK was quite good and I will never forget their response of complete incredulity. He will never be popular in those regions I don't think.

People think egocentrically. If they fared well under a certain president, they'll vote for him, despite the crimes he committed.
zepol96
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zepol96 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 am

PPK may have had a distinguished professional career in the business world, but as a presidential candidate he will have to convince all peruvians he is not a foreign agent. Additionally, I wonder if he is prepared to renounce his US citizenship if elected president of Peru.

"Pedro Pablo Kuczynski Godard (born 1938) is a Peruvian economist and politician, and a former prime minister of the country. He was born in Peru, of Polish and French parents, and since 1999 he became a naturalized United States citizen and conserves dual citizenship.

Controversy: Dual Citizenship has fueled his opponents to argue that he served Peru's government under an apparent conflict of interest with the U.S., as the U.S. requires its naturalized citizens to swear under oath that they are not to serve another government opposing U.S. national interests. Specifically, the oath of allegiance taken by all new U.S. citizens states: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...". Peru's Ministers also must make an allegiance of loyalty to Peru."

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/ ... _Kuczynski

I may add that elected congresistas do not campaign for the position and are elected because they are included in the list of congress candidates presented by the presidential candidate. The number of congresistas elected from a list depends on the percentage of votes received by the presidential candidate. I can surmise that many presidential candidates with no chances of winning the race are campaigning only to get party representation in the congress.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Does Toledo have dual citizenship? I find that the oath of loyalty to the U.S. can be a bit ambiguous, since the "interests" of the U.S. change with each administration.

I believe that Ecuador's Rafael Correa is also a dual citizen who was not lock in step with the Bush Administration, but seems to have the support of the Obama administration now.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:40 pm

I thought PPK was of Teutonic origins, but regardless of what his ancestry is, one thing is quite certain: he does not represent peruvians' interests but foreign capital's, those of corporations, World Bank, etc, in the same way Manuel Ulloa was Rockefeller's man in Peru back in the 80's. He'll put Peru in more debt servitude. Should he have a chance as a president this upcoming elections let's be sure the US secretly will back him up through USAID, NED and NGO's under the guidance of the US (bunker) consulate intelligence, as it has usually done in the past. My wife says PPK's been quoted to answer questions about his citizenship with a gringo accent saying: "Me serr peruviano". If he gets elected it'll be a sad day in the life of peruvians, but somehow I doubt he'll get elected. He should do Peru a favor and stay where he belongs.... serving his masters.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:32 pm

JoshuS wrote: but somehow I doubt he'll get elected.

I agree about his chances but think he would be Peru's greatest President, behind Fujimori of course!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Keiko Fujimori becoming president of Peru in 2011 is the scariest thought of my life. It will be 1992 all over again with a flavour of vengeance. I'm not religious, but on election day I'll be praying.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Remigius wrote:Keiko Fujimori becoming president of Peru in 2011 is the scariest thought of my life. It will be 1992 all over again with a flavour of vengeance. I'm not religious, but on election day I'll be praying.

Referring to her Father of course!
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 pm

zepol96 wrote: Additionally, I wonder if he is prepared to renounce his US citizenship if elected president of Peru.

Yes, he says he will renounce his US citizenship.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:49 am

Alpineprince wrote:
Remigius wrote:Keiko Fujimori becoming president of Peru in 2011 is the scariest thought of my life. It will be 1992 all over again with a flavour of vengeance. I'm not religious, but on election day I'll be praying.

The same.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Remigius wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:

The same.

I like Keiko, yes her father was a criminal and violated many laws. But he was said to have saved Peru from Terrorism. I am finding that all gov't have their corruptions (set out in wikileaks). After reading wikileaks it give me less incentive to believe in the political process, just a Watergate did when I was a young lad :-).

Even Toledo is corrupt, member of his family are now facing corruption charges in Peru, which was linked to Toledo .

As well , Garcia and APRA, which daily reports corruption by gov't officials.

The video of Montesino show just how corrupt many official were.

examples:

Toledo=Garcia=Fujimori are all the same. There time in office had been plagued by massacre.

Garcia:
Garcia had been questioned 18 times in the past about the killings [GALLO/GETTY]

Alan Garcia
-attack on El Fronton
-Bagua

Toledo
- people murdered by a state-sponsored death squad in a massacre 10 years ago
Majaz: Another Massacre from President Alejandro Toledo Aug 2005

Fujimori
La Colina death squad, allegedly run by ex-spy chief Vladimiro Montesinos, gunned down the 15 victims in 1991 while they were having a fund-raising barbecue in Barrios Altos
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Fujimori did not save Peru from terrorism. He just replaced one form of terrorism with his and in the meanwhile ripped us off big time. His daughter has never condemned his actions, on the contrary, so that makes her a danger to this country. She will free her father.

Garcia (you really want to put Bagua all on his account?) and Toledo had their issues, but none of them (and I'm talking post-Fujimori) pose such a threat as the Fujimori clan.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:46 pm

I am no fan of Fujimori because he subverted the media to manipulate voters and in all likelihood he stole money, or at the very least, he knew that people around him stole and he allowed this to happen.

What needs to be recognized is - apart from "defeating terrorism" - Fujimiori led the effort to save Peru´s economy. Garcia left his first government with a legacy of a 7,800+ annual inflation rate. Under Fujimor1, the exchange rate was allowed to float, the gov´t stopped printing currency to finance deficit spending, and inflation soon leveled out. That was a very brave move, and it wasn´t the only option open. The other choice Peru faced at the time was to peg the Nuevo Sol to the dollar in the same way Argentina pegged their currency to the dollar. We all know where that left Argentina, and I shudder to think of Peru living through the "coralito" that Argentinians needed to survive. The gauchos still haven´t recovered from their slump, but meanwhile, Peru is booming.

Other measures taken under Fujimori in his first term allowed for the creation of AFP's and the creation of an autonomous central bank. Good measures both.

Now.. would Keiko make a good president? I hate to bring age into this, but she seems so bloody young to be leading the country! There is something to be said for age and wisdom. Could she get elected? I bet yes.

The media here has a tendency to quickly decide who the two front runners are, which in turn becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophesy, since they begin to get most of the press and attention. So.. who will be the other face in what will undoubtedly quickly boil down to a two-candidate race?

Judging from some newspaper headlines today, it looks like the El Comercio group is NOT going to support Castañeda; it appears they want to beat him to death with the "comunicore" scandal. So he is out. Sorry Lucho.

Kuczynski? He is perceived as an unknown outside of Lima, and his party is perceived as a ragtag bunch conformed from other political parties. Pity, but he won´t make it to the finals either.

Meche? There seems to be the feeling that she is already dead in the water. A sacrificial lamb. She doesn´t seem like a strong enough candidate to come back from such a weak position.

Ollanta? Tough to see him winning in a second round over the other mainstream candidates, however, he may end up being a finalist though since the media LOVE conflict, so it is interesting for them (and I suppose for their readers) to have a finalist who has strong differences from his/her opponent.

Toledo? He is the other strong candidate with true lasting power. There is nothing that can be said about him now that wasn´t tossed around ad nauseum during his campaigns and during his time in office. And apparently he is coming in with good funding, and with a pretty good record of his time leading the government. He also has a lot of experience running for office. That helps.

So..my predictions (and, no, I am not taking bets)... second round finalists either Keiko or Alejandro against Ollanta.

Hey.. if an octopus can predict the world cup, I might even be right.

It will sure be a fun election to watch though, and it is so tremendously encouraging to see so many good candidates running, and so much agreement in terms of general economic direction.

Alan
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

When I first came to Peru in 2004, Toledo was president, Kuczynski was prime minister, and government enjoyed 9% approval rating. Just about everybody was unhappy. The reason: prices of food, that were reportedly flat during Fujimori government, went up and made living standard of more than 90% of Peruvians that are poor and only care about those food prices, significantly worse. As people remember that, I'm not sure about viability of either Toledo or PPK political project, particularly the latter with his Polish spelling of last name that no one knows how to pronounce, should be no more popular than Jaime Bayly.

Since then, prices went dramatically up again, so most Peruvians old enough to remember 1990ies to whom I spoke, say they will vote for Keiko. And I guess if she gets to second round, she will collect votes for Ollanta as well. Both are firm favorites with 'sector D' and below according to polls, and I think that number of such people is largely underestimated by sociologists, these people will be a force bringing new government in.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:58 am

Alan,

Honestly, do you think anyone could have done worse after García's first term? :) Fujimori in 1990 was as green as grass; anyone with more experience could have achieved much more as he did. I would have loved to see what a Paniagua-type could have done back then.

I'm going for Toledo, because despite the scandals, he did very well, and now he's older, wiser and with more experience. If García's second term was 1000000% better than his first, Toledo's second term must be a sensation.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:28 am

Alan wrote:So..my predictions (and, no, I am not taking bets)... second round finalists either Keiko or Alejandro against Ollanta.

Hey.. if an octopus can predict the world cup, I might even be right.
Alan

Alan,
Paul is dead! You are our only hope!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:40 am

mahou123 wrote:Since then, prices went dramatically up again, so most Peruvians old enough to remember 1990ies to whom I spoke, say they will vote for Keiko.

You know the reason of these naive and ignorant thoughts? It's the lack of (a proper) civics course in schools. Young Peruvians can lead you to the best discotheques in Lima, but do not know what's actually happing in the world around them. I they'd be properly educated on the consequences of, for example, a Velasco regime, they'd never vote for Humala. If they'd realise the devastation of the first Garcia term, they'd take his power speeches with a bucket of salt. If they'd knew the consequences of the corruption and merciless liquidations during the Fujimori-regime, Keiko would've been having a ball if she'd reached 0.1% of the votes.

Ignorance reigns in Peru.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:41 am

Alpineprince wrote:Paul is dead!

I thought he was canned. The force is still with us!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 am

Meche? There seems to be the feeling that she is already dead in the water. A sacrificial lamb. She doesn´t seem like a strong enough candidate to come back from such a weak position. ALAN

I agree !!!

Peru's obligatory voting is what hurts getting decent people elected. Many people have to vote and are uniformed (my wife tells me), she mentioned many come to the polls and vote for whoever because they do not want to pay the $80.00 fine for not voting.

hehehe, I like the comment that Toledo is a good candidate despite scandals.

"The best of the worst?"

Toledo was successful because of Fujimori's reforms. As far a Kieko being young, she has the wisdom of the Fujimorista party and her father as a mentor (maybe he has learned as Toledo did.)
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:59 pm

tupacperu wrote:As far a Kieko being young, she has the wisdom of the Fujimorista party and her father as a mentor (maybe he has learned as Toledo did.)

History has plenty of examples of people who'd be considered heroes if they'd continued with what they were doing initially; only a handful had the wisdom and courage to keep on following the correct path. The worst thing of Fujimoristas is the fact they lack self-criticism. They're ready to follow the exact path as Alberto Fujimori with as exception to check the room for hidden cameras. Those, are very scary people.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Remigius wrote:
mahou123 wrote:Since then, prices went dramatically up again, so most Peruvians old enough to remember 1990ies to whom I spoke, say they will vote for Keiko.

You know the reason of these naive and ignorant thoughts? It's the lack of (a proper) civics course in schools. Young Peruvians can lead you to the best discotheques in Lima, but do not know what's actually happing in the world around them. I they'd be properly educated on the consequences of, for example, a Velasco regime, they'd never vote for Humala. If they'd realise the devastation of the first Garcia term, they'd take his power speeches with a bucket of salt. If they'd knew the consequences of the corruption and merciless liquidations during the Fujimori-regime, Keiko would've been having a ball if she'd reached 0.1% of the votes.

Ignorance reigns in Peru.

There is nothing ignorant in worrying about quality of living for poor people. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that prices went up while salaries didn't, so there is less food on the table. It's rather ignorant and naive to speculate about government corruption and who would be better president, based on what you see on TV. Every government is always accused of corruption, no exceptions. Go to the provinces and speak to the people who represent majority of population, and you'll see that these people understand what's going on much better than Lima-based gringos.

When Fujimori first came to power, Peruvian government was effectively losing a civil war. I guess he clearly understood that it was only a matter of time before Sendero Luminoso would take over Lima and send remaining 'pitucos' to re-education camps to learn how to love their Motherland. And the government wouldn't be able to win that conflict, even with external help, while the other side is supported by the masses. Just as it happened in China and Vietnam few decades earlier. So apart from military action, radical reforms had to be implemented, to give people sense of stability, progress and improving living standards, which would take that mass support away from Maoists and give it back to the government. And exactly such reforms were implemented: fiscal discipline and massive investment in infrastructure. Schools and roads were built everywhere, business regulations simplified, capital markets re-opened and so on. Then economy boomed and keeps growing, but it is more asset bubble and credit expansion based growth by now, resulting in actual worsening of living standard. I don't know about any structural economical reforms were implemented by either Toledo or Garcia governments, that resulted in clear improvement. Hence people are very likely to jump on proposition to return to government and policies of the 90ies, just because they know life was better back then. They don't seem to care about 'human rights violations' much. Nor do they have any illusions about transparency and lack of corruption in 'Poder Judicial', which is attempting to put just about any former president to jail.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:52 am

Mahou, well said, could not have stated it any better.
It is people like you who know the true historical events of Peru that bring clarity to an event
Many of us gringos get our news from the press(slanted).
Many factor play a part in history, more than right or wrong. Somethings are
Right/wrong but are necessary.
Good stuff you wrote!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 am

I'm still amazed how I've been pushed into a stereotype based on the assumption people actually know me. Mahou's story is typical for somebody who needs to flip the coin.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:37 pm

The idea that Keiko could perhaps win the presidency fills me with foreboding and dispair for the future of Peru.

Like Alan above I recognise how things improved in Peru during Fujimori's time and give him some credit for for some of that but that in no way can make up for the errors of his presidency.

The evidence is now overwelming that he was corrupt, that he undermined and weakened democracy and that he was responsible for the extreme human rights abuses during his presidency. Yes, terrible things have happened in other presidencies but it was the scale of abuses that make the difference.

He did spend money on the projects in the highlands. In Peru these areas have been disregarded and their needs ignored over centuries. The sudden influx of money to those areas is the main reason for his popularity today. The money came from the privatisation programme which netted in around US$9 billion. This was then an even greater amount of money then than it is now. But so much more could have been done if so much of that money hadn't been lost to corruption. The money eventually ran out and that's when Fujimori's popularity started to wain. I'd love to be able to say it was for other reasons but it wouldn't be true.

My concern is what sort of message would it give to the young of Peru if Keiko won. It would send the message that corruption, subversion of democracy and a disregard for human rights are forgivable and acceptable. Call me an idealist but I believe that Peru can be better than that. It should certainly try to be.
Tom
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:48 am

My concern is what sort of message would it give to the young of Peru if Keiko won. It would send the message that corruption, subversion of democracy and a disregard for human rights are forgivable and acceptable : Tomsax

Name me an ex-president that is not Scandalous or corrupt.
Peru like most latin american countries have a dark history.
Power Corrupts - Alan Garcia - corrupt , fled Peru, recently attempted
To pass legislation for amnesty for himself for massacres
That occured during his first term. Look at him now, taking credit for
What Toledo and Fujimori set into place.

Show me a clean politician and somewhere is dirty laundry.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Are you saying that all politicians are equally corrupt or that it isn't an issue. For me it's less of a case of "better the devil you know" and more a case of "better avoid the devil you do know about".
Tom
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:53 am

Here is Reuter's take on the election. Say that it's a call between conservatives, with no radical surprises.

(Reuters) - Peruvians will likely elect a centrist to the presidency in April rather than leftist ultranationalist Ollanta Humala as soaring economic growth turns more Latin American voters into political moderates.

In so doing, Peru would follow Brazil, Chile and Colombia, where voters this year picked presidents with long track records of being committed to orthodox policies that have lured billions of dollars in foreign investment.

As the political climate in Peru changes, voters have been abandoning Humala, long seen as a radical, even as he tries reinventing himself as a more moderate leftist to survive.

The former army officer won 47 percent of the vote in the 2006 election, narrowly losing to President Alan Garcia, who cannot run for a second straight term. Humala's popularity has plummeted since then, in some polls to single digits.

Four months before election day, Humala is languishing far behind three front-runners who favor free trade, foreign investment, low inflation and fiscal restraint.

"Peruvians don't want adventures, they don't want to put the economic path at risk. There is no space for a candidate opposed to the current model," said pollster Manuel Saavedra of survey firm CPI.

read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B82YE20101209
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:49 am

tomsax wrote:The idea that Keiko could perhaps win the presidency fills me with foreboding and dispair for the future of Peru.

I would equate it to Kirschner in Argentina or Osama in the USA.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
tomsax wrote:The idea that Keiko could perhaps win the presidency fills me with foreboding and dispair for the future of Peru.

I would equate it to Kirschner in Argentina or Osama in the USA.

(hehehe) Osama!!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Alan wrote:Here is Reuter's take on the election. Say that it's a call between conservatives, with no radical surprises.

(Reuters) - Peruvians will likely elect a centrist to the presidency in April rather than leftist ultranationalist Ollanta Humala as soaring economic growth turns more Latin American voters into political moderates.

In so doing, Peru would follow Brazil, Chile and Colombia, where voters this year picked presidents with long track records of being committed to orthodox policies that have lured billions of dollars in foreign investment.

As the political climate in Peru changes, voters have been abandoning Humala, long seen as a radical, even as he tries reinventing himself as a more moderate leftist to survive.

The former army officer won 47 percent of the vote in the 2006 election, narrowly losing to President Alan Garcia, who cannot run for a second straight term. Humala's popularity has plummeted since then, in some polls to single digits.

Four months before election day, Humala is languishing far behind three front-runners who favor free trade, foreign investment, low inflation and fiscal restraint.

"Peruvians don't want adventures, they don't want to put the economic path at risk. There is no space for a candidate opposed to the current model," said pollster Manuel Saavedra of survey firm CPI.

read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B82YE20101209

Lima would want a President who is centrist, but all the polls mainly come out of LIma/Callao.
Flores was supposed to win the Mayor of Lima , but a leftist Villiaran won (surprise-surprise).
Lima does not speak for all the provinces, this election may come as a shock to many.

Just as in Bolivia/Ecuador/Argentina/Brazil/Nicaragua/Venezuela (left leaning presidents).

Post Wikileaks may have soured Peruvian (trust issues), with any pro-conservative-rightwing.
The poor want to be included in the BOOM in LIma. I can see the election going more left.
vazump

Postby vazump » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:05 pm

I wonder how much Peruvians are being influenced by the social movements & the rise to power of working class presidents of neighbouring countries like Bolivia or Brazil, & how this impacts their view of their own government & leaders...
Any comments on this?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm

vazump wrote:I wonder how much Peruvians are being influenced by the social movements & the rise to power of working class presidents of neighbouring countries like Bolivia or Brazil, & how this impacts their view of their own government & leaders...
Any comments on this?

I suppose it depends on which Peruvian you ask. The ones I have spoken to seem to like Lula, but distrust Evo because of the indigenous bent.

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction against the left here, since the in recent memory different factions of the left have backed the fascist government of Velasco Alvarado, the maoist Shining Path and the Marxist MRTA.

Villaran was a real surprise, and unless she plays her cards right, I think she stands the chance of being isolated by the new central government.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 pm

vazump wrote:I wonder how much Peruvians are being influenced by the social movements & the rise to power of working class presidents of neighbouring countries like Bolivia or Brazil, & how this impacts their view of their own government & leaders...
Any comments on this?

Here is a recent article that goes to the heart of your question: http://www.peruviantimes.com/u-s-cable- ... ae/1610244
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Alan wrote:
Any comments on this?

I suppose it depends on which Peruvian you ask. The ones I have spoken to seem to like Lula, but distrust Evo because of the indigenous bent.

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction against the left here, since the in recent memory different factions of the left have backed the fascist government of Velasco Alvarado, the maoist Shining Path and the Marxist MRTA.

Villaran was a real surprise, and unless she plays her cards right, I think she stands the chance of being isolated by the new central government.

Any one associated with Chavez are looked upon negatively by the majority of Peruvians in Lima (where all the polls are held - hehehe).
Lula, does not have the relationship as other SA countries with Chavez. Brazil is rather neutral.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register