Egypt Action, So hows Peru/South America?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
glober
Silver Member
Silver Member

Egypt Action, So hows Peru/South America?

Postby glober » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 pm

As most of you know we got some rather harsh action over at Egypt (link provided end of post), and
I don't know how many of you even know about Egypt, or anything about it, I lived there myself and
know the culture quite well and am not very surprised, but as a inquisitive member;

How do you guys consider Peru's stability as well as the surrounding areas?

Peru is a very corrupted country, but yet quite stable (atleast financially), and even if the same could
be said about a lot of countries, especially certain western nations (U.S comes to mind) in this country
of ours (come-on, we are part of it now) I can see collapse related to political corruption and oligarch
in this country.

In general, whats your view?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/2011128222033802146.html

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Egypt Action, So hows Peru/South America?

Postby Omikron » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 pm

It doesn't matter how far another country is from Peru, It can be night there while it might be noon here, it doesn't matter if they have a totally different religion, language and type of government. What really matters here is that if a "poor, corrupted third world country (but stable!)" makes it to the front page of the news, a topic regarding Peru should be started. Welcome to the "stereotype country" show. This might be my last reply here as the Internet might be shut down soon.

Live and let live, life is too short to be paranoid.
glober
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby glober » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Omikron wrote:It doesn't matter how far another country is from Peru, It can be night there while it might be noon here, it doesn't matter if they have a totally different religion, language and type of government.

Eh.. OK....

What really matters here is that if a "poor, corrupted third world country (but stable!)" makes it to the front page of the news, a topic regarding Peru should be started.

You got plenty (as in, lots) of third world countries "making it" to the front page of the worlds news
agencies. What a strange post to make.

Welcome to the "stereotype country" show. This might be my last reply here as the Internet might be shut down soon.

It says you are in Lima, Peru. I have heard nothing about that the "internet" infrastructure would be
shut down. Where have you gotten this from, and why do you believe this? I think someone lied to
you or possible just joking.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

The USA goverment just said that the egyptian goverment is stable, so i dont know what to believe anymore :?

:lol: :lol:

Man, while Peru is a democracy, Egypt is a dictatorship .....
glober
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby glober » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

El Tunche wrote:The USA goverment just said that the egyptian goverment is stable, so i dont know what to believe anymore :?

Haha, True, but I do not get my news from joke "news" agencies like american ones, seriously, CNN? FOX? They can NOT be real agencies and have to be a way for us foolish none-americans to think that americans truly are some of the most ignorant people on the planet.

BBC and, interestingly enough, Al Jazeera give a far better news coverage on this then any of the U.S ones, but then again, how hard is it to topple CNN/FOX?

But, if anyone is interested, whats your view of the POSSIBILITY of such things happening in Peru? Remember, not to long ago Peru's economy collapsed, and whiles Peru's economy is considered one of the most stable in South America, I am just talking in general here, if the corruption could finally take them down the road, or will Peruvians swallow anything given to them, would they grow some balls sooner or later? Perhaps even change the nation Without any real issues, the People got the power, the people is the Nation, if they got that and got access to good education, who knows?
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Peru has been there already, in the 2000, against Fujimori , but again, Fujimori was a dictator .
glober
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby glober » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm

El Tunche wrote:Peru has been there already, in the 2000, against Fujimori , but again, Fujimori was a dictator .

Eh, comeone the Fujimori incident was not a "problem" (in my eyes), and he solved quite a deal
of issues even if he, eh, used methods not suitable in our Western Eyes. I would be surprised if
American Expats here would have issues with him being that their own nation/leaders where
similar (You heard about George Bush?).

Anyway, whats this with Dictator here, dictator there all the time?
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ruud » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 pm

If it could happen? Probably, but conditions are not set yet.

What if most people are loaded with debt, prices rice astronomically, and there are no jobs for all the people that finished there education?

What surprises me really is that it is no front page news her, nor on TV.
It started with Tunis. Haven't heard a word either. Yemen and Jordan is protesting as well.

World news, but nobody is interested here.
But the same goes for traffic accidents, local protesters killed by the police, robbery, homeless children, as long as it is not a family member who cares, and even then.
Comet

Postby Comet » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 am

glober wrote:As most of you know we got some rather harsh action over at Egypt (link provided end of post), and
I don't know how many of you even know about Egypt, or anything about it, I lived there myself and
know the culture quite well and am not very surprised, but as a inquisitive member;

How do you guys consider Peru's stability as well as the surrounding areas?

Peru is a very corrupted country, but yet quite stable (atleast financially), and even if the same could
be said about a lot of countries, especially certain western nations (U.S comes to mind) in this country
of ours (come-on, we are part of it now) I can see collapse related to political corruption and oligarch
in this country.

In general, whats your view?´

I teach english here....I´d be happy to give you lessons.. No insult intended , but it is very difficult to understand your posts because of your poor english.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/2011128222033802146.html
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:05 pm

glober wrote:
El Tunche wrote:I would be surprised if
American Expats here would have issues with him being that their own nation/leaders where
similar (You heard about George Bush?).

The majority of Americans did not want him, not really a good example.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I waited for someone else to start this thread (hehehe).

IMO (not humble)

Someone posted a saying a few months back (no names).
People get the gov't they deserve.

It is amusing how the US is straddling the fence on this one. Democracy vs US interests.
Personally I would like democracy to prevail, the will of the people, but there are underlying fears of Egypt becoming like IRAN after the overthrow of the Shah, and also the price of oil is shooting up (fueling Chavez' Bolivarian Revolution (Oil profits). This exposes the duplicity of the US foreign policy.

As far as Peru's elections, the polls do not hold any validity. there are pollster being paid under the table,and newspapers who have an interest in selling paper. So, the election in Peru is a toss-up. Just as Villiaran came to be Mayor much to the surprise of many, the same may happen in Peru. Much of the population outside of Peru has not had the economic benefits as their counterparts in Lima. Many of the polls are heavily weighted in Lima. I do not think that Peruvians will go as far as Tunisia or Egypt, but elections are a method of gaining true voice.
I would not trust the poll in Lima and judging by recent elections in the Provinces and Lima the left is gaining strength.

Venezuela:
As for Democracy, I am a firm believer in the will of the majority. Should Venezuela follow the example (Tunisia/Egypt) maybe Chavez would not remain in power.

Mubaruk ran a top-down corrupt gov't, but was allow to do so with our US tax dollars. The US has had a record of supporting tyrannt (exception Chavez). But as the saying goes ; "People get the gov't they deserve", so true

In the US the citizens fear the gov't, in other nations the gov't fears the people.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm

El Tunche wrote:The USA goverment just said that the egyptian goverment is stable, so i dont know what to believe anymore :?

Egypt is a democratic dictatorship (corrupt elections).

All I can say about Peru "Bagua"!

Garcia and the congress did the right thing.

LIMA, June 18 (Reuters) - Peru's Congress overturned two controversial land laws on Thursday that ignited deadly clashes between police and indigenous protesters in the Amazon rainforest two weeks ago, killing at least 34 people.

The vote to throw out legislative decrees 1090 and 1064 could delay foreign investment in mining and energy projects in the rain forest, and may prompt Peru and the United States to reevaluate clauses of their free-trade pact.

As far as financially/politicallly stable? have you read recent reports on inflationary pressure for 2011. This will push the lower middle class back into poverty as fast a you can say ""Machu Picchu. "

scenarios for 2011:

1. Should Humala repeat the likes of Villiaran, we will see how financially stable Peru will be.
A leftist leader would drive investment out of Peru.

2. The economy is supported by foreign capital. Inflation will make imports more attractive and with the rising prices more will be push to the brink of poverty.

We will see in April 2011, what direction Peru is moving in
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 am

tupacperu wrote:I waited for someone else to start this thread (hehehe).

It is amusing how the US is straddling the fence on this one. Democracy vs US interests.
Personally I would like democracy to prevail, the will of the people, but there are underlying fears of Egypt becoming like IRAN after the overthrow of the Shah, and also the price of oil is shooting up (fueling Chavez' Bolivarian Revolution (Oil profits). This exposes the duplicity of the US foreign policy.

In the US the citizens fear the gov't, in other nations the gov't fears the people.

Egypt is a very strategic piece in the Eurasia geopolitical chessboard, this country is extremely important to have under control from an empireal power perspective, it was the Ottoman's, British's, and today for the Anglo American empire. The Suez canal also serves as a choke point for control., not to mention as foothold in Africa.
The last thing US wants is a true Egyptian popular democracy, what they want instead and are working on it (that's why Mubarak is buying time), is "Democracy, Inc", which will support US geopolitical interests and those of Israel in the region. It seems apparent to me the US could undertake this strategy of "democratization" in which Western NGOs, aid agencies and civil society organizations establish strong contacts and relationships with the domestic civil society in the regions and nations they have interests. Bush and Obama have already in the last years invited Egyptians civil organizations for this purpose. The objective of this strategy is to organize, fund and help direct the domestic civil society to produce a democratic system made in the image of the West, a "democratic" system which might require to replace Mubarak puppet for another to deceive Egyptians that a "change" is taken place, perhaps through "elections", but in the end a system still subservient to the empire interests. I think Egyptians are already seeing through this tactic, in the person of ElBaradei. I just hope that Egyptians are able to recognize this clearly and claim Egypt for the Egyptians by not accepting anything less than popular democracy, free from US domination. But keep in mind that, empireal powers don't want a truly democratic and self-dependent nation, this is unacceptable to the leadership and elites in Europe or North America.
Perhaps, we're witnessing the onset of what could be a global revolution. This could affect Peru as well in the long run, as people begin awakening to the reality of Peru's democracy, Inc.

US meddles in Egypt protests
Attachments
egypte_80.jpg
(155.44 KiB) Downloaded 1551 times
Last edited by JoshuS on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 am

As far as Peru's elections, the polls do not hold any validity. there are pollster being paid under the table,and newspapers who have an interest in selling paper. So, the election in Peru is a toss-up. Just as Villiaran came to be Mayor much to the surprise of many, the same may happen in Peru.

Not sure which polls you were reading. Flores started to lose her lead as soon as Kouri dropped out and most of his support switched to Villarán.

From http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=53019

But in the latest IOP survey, published Sept. 25, Villarán had climbed to 46 percent, leaving behind Flores with just 21 support.

Two other polls also showed Villarán ahead: Ipsos-Apoyo reported that she had 40 percent backing compared to Flores's 28 percent, and Datum reported 34.4 percent against 26.7 percent, respectively.

Given that the final result was so close I'd be amazed if any of the pollsters had called it dead right. The only potential for what I'd consider a bad result in the presidential elections would be if the centrist/right candidates manage to split their votes and allow Humala into the run-off via the back door.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I found it interesting that the MM (Miraflores Muslems) who are being funded by a certain Guvmint have all but disappeared within days of the riots breaking out.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Now that Mubarak is gone, it has only started. Egyptians need not forget, he was just the puppet, there won't be any triumph until the US / Israel meddling stops. And in order for that to happen, a participatory popular democracy process, elected by THE PEOPLE must be implemented, anything short of that will mean the US/Israel criminal collusion will still be pulling the strings. Egypt is both geopolitical and strategically too important for US/Israel to give up, it won't be easy for the Egyptians. What will develop next will be very interesting to watch.

Celebrations in Gaza for the the Egyptian peoples victory in the 2011 Global Revolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYro4_cnVf4

http://www.youtube.com/aljazeeraenglish?feature=ticker

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register