Police attacked gays kissing in the center of Lima

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Police attacked gays kissing in the center of Lima

Postby americorps » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:30 pm

I can not think of a single response to that that would not get me kicked off this website.

JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Here's an attempt at explaining the biology of homosexuality, for those who'd like to understand further.

Homosexuality
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Mr. Iron Butterfly
Who the heck are you to know what did or did not happen in my life?

1. I am not wallowing or whining. I am happy with my life, the past as well as the present.
2. I married very young and did not understand myself that I was gay at the time. I was faithful to her for 19 years.
3. I am now a very good friend with my ex-wife and we support each other and have forgiven each other for any hurtful things that have occurred.

I only hope you find the kind of peace and contentment that I enjoy in my life. I am truly blessed.

No more said...

Americorps! You were left speechless? No wait, you just could not publish what you were thinking. Jejeje
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

She sounds like an exceptional woman you were very lucky. Time does have a way of healing wounds. It does no one any good to hold any hard feelings.
I know your row is a lot harder to hoe than mine but I accept and thank you for taking the time to offer me the hope that I find the kind of peace and contentment that you enjoy in your life.
PS You can call me Iron, everyone else seems like it.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 am

Interestingly enough.

MHOL decided to do another kiss-in, but not a protest. They just decided to have random people at random times walking in the Plaza de Armas...kiss each other...Men kissing woman, men kissing men, women kissing women.

Not organized, no signs, no large groups. Just people walking through the plaza and every once in a while, kiss.

The church, however, staged a large demonstration and lined the entire block.

For some reason, they were allowed to demonstrate without consequence in the plaza de armas without permit. They sang songs, changed the rosary and a few carried signs and some yelled in hate and anger as a show of how they reflect their version of God.

I wonder why the police did not attack the Catholic demonstrators?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 am

Why didn't the police beat those 2 men doing a cavity search of the square and why were there mostly female police women at that time? I guess the police learned its lesson. Catholics protested, MHOL did too. No violence and that's a good thing. And I also believe that you'd get more supporters for the cause if the kiss-in was done with simple kisses instead of those involving a lot of saliva and lasting for at least 1 minute. I mean, even hetero couples wouldn't get away with what I saw on that video.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:15 am

Your opinion that a protest is done to gain sympathy is, in this case, wrong.

MHOL is not my cup of tea...in a way I agree with you.. if I were doing the demonstration, I would do it differently, however, they are not a bunch of kindly almost straight passing sweet little old gay folks.

They are activists. Demonstrations have different meanings to them.

They could care less if you are offended or not and the fact that you say that sort of makes their point... if you are offended, be offended, it is none of their business, just remember that same freedoms that allow you to be offended allow them to be offensive. And visa-versa.

They do not care if you accept them, tolerate them, or understand them..that is your problem to deal with. They just will not be sent to the back of the bus as you figure it out. Instead of waiting for acceptance, they decided they do not need it as they are still equal members of society.

Again, that is not how I would do it, but as I made quite clear earlier..for any civil rights movement to be successful, they need the sweet little old gays apologizing and trying not to make so many waves as they politely ask not to be sent to the back of the bus and they need the revolutionairies who will just say I do not care what you think I am going to the front of the bus.
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 am

Are the later videos on El Comercio? I will have to check them out.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 am

I know what you mean, but in this country many (I would say the majority) people are very conservative and prudish. If you are seeking for the acceptance of homosexuality you must take that into account. I think that MHOL is causing more damage to the cause at this moment by bluntly and blindly kicking legs of people. Although homosexuals are discriminated, it's not at the same level of black people in the 50s/60s in the US. More caution is needed before swinging the axe.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 am

I have heard that same argument every single time. I heard it when my grandfather was working for civil rights in Kansas in the 60´s, when my mother was working for immigrant farmers rights in California the 70´s, when I was working for gay rights in the USA in the 80´s.

I have NEVER agreed with it.

While I will, without hesitation condemn groups like the black Panthers, Meche and others working for civil rights that resorted to violence and reverse racism. I believe that at times, you have to quit saying please and may I and I will be patient. If those leading the movement in Peru feel that that time has come...I trust them to make the decision.

Again, It is your problem if you are uncomfortable, not mine. And these folks are saying that they are here, they are queer, whether you like it or not. They will not pretend to be anyone or anything else out of fear or intimidation.

They are not setting anything or anyone back. They are bringing to the table and now it has to be discussed and looked at.

You keep bringing up the world acceptance. To heck with your acceptance. If I am NOT allowed to kiss or marry or hold a job or stay with my family...I will find my own way..create my own family of choice and I will not continue to bend and stretch and cowtow and appease just enough to be tolerable to you. If you can not handle it, that is your problem...(universal you, not you you)

I have played by your rules for long enough to know that there comes a time that I will have to break your rules and be prepared to suffer the consequences, because without doing so, there is no other way to move forward.

Slow and stead has NEVER won the civil rights race.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:04 pm

americorps wrote:Slow and stead has NEVER won the civil rights race.

It would never have been won if there was no base. Unfortunately, a group of 20 kissing people in front of the Cathedral is no base for success. It's just a confirmation of the stereotype many people here have about homosexuals. Anyway, I do not deprive anyone of the right to protest pacifically.
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 pm

I finally saw the video on El Comercio. That was a pretty restrained crowd on both sides. Glad the police were calm. The church group was louder than the gay group but really well behaved. Very civil all around.

They only showed 2 kisses on the video and one was a straight couple. The kisses were strong but not any more offensive than I have seen in parks all over Lima. Not sure what all the fuss was about. If the gay group was any more low key you would hardly know they were there. A lot more restrained than you would find in the USA or Europe for the same type of protest.

I guess we all have different levels of discomfort depending on our perspective of the world. I and am not at all bothered by the young people kissing in the parks, MOHL kissing in the Plaza, or the faithful singing, praying or using a rosary to defend their sacred space. To each their own.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register