Vegetarian restaurants in Lima?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
odelag
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vegetarian restaurants in Lima?

Postby odelag » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 am

Maybe it's me, but I never can get the search function to work in this forum, so forgive me for asking a question that probably has been asked before: are there any good vegetarian restaurants in Lima? I recall there used to be one on Avenida Diez Canseco in Miraflores but it's closed or moved.

Oscar

For your USA phone number in Peru, visit www.voicered.com
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 am

Hi Oscar,
There is a nice place on Calle Cantuarias at the corner of Av. La Paz. It is run by the ex-staff of Bircher Brenner. Clean and delicious. Then, there is another place in the first block of Calle Schell, right off paseo de la republica. This is run by the Hari Krishnas. Also quite good.
Alan
PiBe

Postby PiBe » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 am

There's another one in front of parque Kennedy, next to Larco and Cantuarias I guess... and the one I like the most is in Javier Prado and Pettit Thouars, it's called Vrinda, run by Krishnas.

Good choice to be veggie, pal!!! :wink:

(my search bar works fine, by the way)
maynard7

Postby maynard7 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

There are many vegetarian places in Lima that are listed on happycow.com, complete with reviews.

There apparently is also a place at Chiclayo 815 (near Comandante Espinar). If anyone has been there, let me know, as it's not on happycow and I'd like to post info.
Ashraf

Re: Vegetarian restaurants in Lima?

Postby Ashraf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Hello Oscar, we opened one Indian Restaurant in Lima nine months ago, we make Indian and Pakistani food, and we have one Menu with many vegetarian options too, maybe you´d like to try us sometime..
Regards!
Waheed and Katia Ashraf
GURU Kebab & Curry
Av. Benavides 3796, Surco
Teléfono: 273-5658 / 991-992603

[quote="odelag"]Maybe it's me, but I never can get the search function to work in this forum, so forgive me for asking a question that probably has been asked before: are there any good vegetarian restaurants in Lima? I recall there used to be one on Avenida Diez Canseco in Miraflores but it's closed or moved.

Oscar[/quote]
GURU Kebab & Curry
Indian Restaurant
Av. Benavides 3796 Surco
Teléfono 2735658/991992603
phoenixlipo

Postby phoenixlipo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 am

There's another one in front of parque Kennedy, next to Larco and Cantuarias I guess... and the one I like the most is in Javier Prado and Pettit Thouars, it's called Vrinda, run by Krishnas.
kendrah
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby kendrah » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Go to Hierbabuena in Miraflores...it blew my mind. It's on Calle San Martin 533.

It's on the pricier side but the menu is very creative and delicious, and the atmosphere is fabulous.
jessica.delosrios
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jessica.delosrios » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:05 pm

YUMMY-NESS!!!!

Almazen is about the best veggie food in Lima... its located in Miraflores on Recavarren and then there is MadreNatura, which has a couple of locales, one in San Isidro on Jr. Chiclayo off of Comandante Espinar.

there are also the bioferias in miraflores and surco on saturday mornings.... delicious!
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:52 pm

I had been vegetarian for about a year, then I visited Lima and in one trip I "fell off the wagon" and was eating meat. Now I am having trouble getting back to vegetarianism. It's a goal of mine, to achieve in a year or so, once I get settled in Lima full time.

This thread is a great resources, thanks... keep posting suggestions! Peru is not an easy place to be a vegetarian / vegan, but I see it CAN be done.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 am

Hierbabuena closed now. And it wasnt a vegetarian restaurant either. Maybe Govinda missing here so far.

Xibalba, there are many vegetarians in town! Almost every week they organise vegetarian or vegan parilladas! They have a facebook-group, I can look for it if you like to.

I am not vegetarian, actually, but my peruvian gf is, and so meat is sth forbidden here in my house. And she learned over the years to prepare Comida Criolla in a vegetarian way. Even Carapulcra, "Lomo" Saltado, Papa Rellena and she even makes a perfect Salsa Huancaina without using any lacteos.
Well, come around one day!
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Saramira222 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:47 am

I recently discovered a small cafe which is vegetarian but serves tuna, it is in Miraflores near Avenida del Ejercito, I believe the name is Piamanthani. The food is good, small menu, but lovely peaceful atmosphere with an indoor garden with a waterfall, etc. I find it very relaxing and the menu del dia is 12 soles, includes entrada, main plate, and a really nice herbal tea. I am not a vegetarian anymore, but enjoy eating a lot of vegetarian type food, especially in a nice location. This place has not been open for very long and they will be offering massage by appointment at the same location. It is very close to the restaurant Mavery.
Maximisses

Postby Maximisses » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm

There is El Paraiso Bio Leben. Alcanfores 453 - 416, Miraflores.

They have a set lunch with a starter, main, drink and desert for 8 soles. I've been twice and the food is good. Actually I'm surprised this cafe isn't full with backpackers because the set lunch is so cheap! :lol:

http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=10346
Galt0902

Postby Galt0902 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Maximisses, thanks for sharing the link. I go to ICPNA during the week to learn Spanish and this place seems fairly close by. I will check it out this week. Seems like the veggie doors are wide open in Lima. One just needs to know where to look. This forum and my veggie forum here on EP should help any veggie folks visiting the area.
Mehmet Musacali

Postby Mehmet Musacali » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Hello, I have a Turkish restarant in Av. Grau 310 barranco near Plaza de Armas, we have a very nice options of vegetarian dishes, that you guys can enjoy, Turkish food is mostly vegetables so our options re a lot..

Any concern look for in FB Istanbul Cocina Turca
or call us 4772372
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I went to a rather expensive one when my vegan friend came to visit-Its not stictly vegetarian, but we both managed to eat vegan the entire meal. Its called Mezze, and its right on Larco closer to the bottom. Its a really cute restarurant with an outside seating place as well.

Also on Saturday I finally found the miraflores market off paseo de la republica. There are several stands that sell vegan and vegetarian foods.
L20threeJ

Postby L20threeJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 am

There is this great italian place called Primi Piatti in La Molina that makes home made lasagnas. I got to meet the Chef who was very nice and went to Cordon Bleu Culinary School in Peru. Her Lasagna Vegeteriana and 4 cheese lasagna are both great options for vegetarians. All their ingredients are fresh and organic. The four cheese lasagna is my personal favorite. They also free delivery the phone number is 998401457.

AlmaZen also has organic and vegan friendly food. Kind of expensive but good food. Their Focaccia del Campo was my favorite. They are located at Recavarren 298, Miraflores (at Berlin).

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register